More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

emjel
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Re: The Sun Sessions LP from 1976-some questions

Post by emjel »

rockinrebel wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 am
If memory is correct the first UK Starcall pressing of the Sun Collection featured advertisements for other (non Elvis) albums on the back cover.
Later pressings were then issued with Roy Carr's excellent sleeve notes.
There were further variations after this, as the album was also issued on the orange label, and a later pressing included Harbor Lights from the 1976 album A Legendary Performer Vol.2, with a hype sticker on the sleeve advertising the additional track.
Yes the initial sleeve run carried adverts for other albums in the Starcall series but I don’t think they were around for that long before the sleeve notes version appeared. The re-issue from 1979 had a new catalogue number and no reference was made to the Starcall series on the sleeve - it was initially released on the regular styled orange RCA label with a new NL catalogue number and then a black label and finally the "Elvis" blue label a couple of years later.

In 1983, and as you state, a new updated album with the track Harbour Lights was released and with a brand new catalogue number, black label and was pressed in Germany for the whole of Europe. Ironically, within a couple of months, it would be out of date as a previously unreleased Sun recording of When It Rains.... was put out on Legendary Performer Vol 4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm
Thanks. So Western Germany and UK released this LP one year before than US did (RCA).
it was also released in Canada in 1975 as The Sun Collection , ecause we are a commonwealth country we got a lot of, not all, the British releases. We also got The Sun Sessions in 1976.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Buddy
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Buddy »

emjel wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:16 pm
Buddy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:01 pm
emjel wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:57 pm
RCA US decided to release it because they saw that it was quite a success in the UK. However, the album titles were different - in the UK it was "The Sun Collection" whereas in the US, it was called "The Sun Sessions" and had an inferior front sleeve with what looked like the head of Elvis from the '68 special on a body that looked like he had just been stuck on a horse for days. The US did however retain the UK sleeve notes from Roy Carr. Interestingly, the UK used "The Sun Sessions" wording on the reverse of the sleeve as its sub heading for the sleeve liner notes about the recording sessions.

The UK release was issued within a new RCA budget series of albums called "Starcall" and was the first in that series HY1001. The other Elvis release in the series was "Pictures of Elvis" which had the HY1023 and which was only a UK release with that number although the album was released in Germany on the International Label with a unique number. A few years later it was re-released on the International Label

I guess thats the german version of it....

From what I know, this was released in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). It was another appalling sleeve.

No no this was definitly a West Germany album. Here the back cover /label were you can see it.
R-9005196-1473115025-2211.jpeg.jpg
[/quote]
R-9005196-1473282556-4541.jpeg.jpg
As far as I know Elvis was available in the so called "inter-shops" in East Germany ( where you had to pay in
Deutsche Mark (west money only) But only some records were sold there...

This must be the "DDR Version"... but as far as I remember correctly It was as well produced from RCA in West Germany.
410512_300.jpg
410512_2_300.jpg

Later also some Elvis records were sold and produced by Amiga label in East Germany

For example this one
20201018_070641.jpg
Screenshot_20201018-070715_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 am
jurasic1968 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm
Thanks. So Western Germany and UK released this LP one year before than US did (RCA).
it was also released in Canada in 1975 as The Sun Collection , ecause we are a commonwealth country we got a lot of, not all, the British releases. We also got The Sun Sessions in 1976.
"Elvis: Day by Day" by Jorgensen and Guaralnick list 300,000 copies sold at initial release. They do mention it as a perennial seller in Elvis' catalog for years.

Chartmasters lists The Sun Collection (1975) worldwide sales as 830,000 https://chartmasters.org/2018/09/cspc-elvis-presley-popularity-analysis/80/ i think this includes the 350,000 sold https://chartmasters.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Elvis-US-Sales-Totals-1.png of The Sun Sessions (1976). I'm not sure how to interpret some of this sites numbers. (click on the Elvis-US-Sales-Totals image to zoom)

RIAA has not awarded a Gold Record to The Sun Sessions. RCA/BMG/Sony have not provided paperwork to indicate more than 500,000 sold. The only Gold record for Elvis's Sun recordings was in 2002 for The Complete Sun Sessions from 1987.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Jokerlola
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by Jokerlola »

I found and bought the UK version here in the US in 1975. I stumbled upon it in the import section of the independent record store I bought most of my records at. I also bought the US version in 76 and could never understand why they used the cover with drawing of an older Elvis instead of the great UK cover.

LesterB
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by LesterB »

I remember getting this for Christmas when it came out in the UK - I was 10 years old. By then I had Elvis’ 40 Greatest on the Arcade label, Promised Land and a few of the pickwick Camden LPs.

While i really liked it, I remember thinking this doesn’t sound like Elvis’ voice to me 😀
JUST FOR TODAY

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

emjel wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:13 am
rockinrebel wrote:
If memory is correct the first UK Starcall pressing of the Sun Collection featured advertisements for other (non Elvis) albums on the back cover.
There were further variations after this, as the album was also issued on the orange label, and a later pressing included Harbor Lights from the 1976 album A Legendary Performer Vol.2, with a hype sticker on the sleeve advertising the additional track.
Yes the initial sleeve run carried adverts for other albums in the Starcall series but I don’t think they were around for that long before the sleeve notes version appeared. The re-issue from 1979 had a new catalogue number and no reference was made to the Starcall series on the sleeve - it was initially released on the regular styled orange RCA label with a new NL catalogue number and then a black label and finally the "Elvis" blue label a couple of years later.

In 1983, and as you state, a new updated album with the track Harbour Lights was released and with a brand new catalogue number, black label and was pressed in Germany for the whole of Europe. Ironically, within a couple of months, it would be out of date as a previously unreleased Sun recording of When It Rains.... was put out on Legendary Performer Vol 4.
Thanks for the additional info. It's amazing how many different versions of the same album RCA UK could churn out in such a short space of time. I presume the pressing with the blue Elvis label is quite scarce, as that was generally used for full price releases.

Steve Morse
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Steve Morse »

emjel wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:

Yes, I got the original version without sleeve notes (still have it) and was rather miffed when, shortly afterwards, the sleeve notes version came out. I seem to recall that some of the tracks were in electronically reprocessed garbage and that annoyed me intensely in that some people would think that's what the originals sounded like. I think there was a maxi single, too in the UK, but I'm not certain.
"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:06 pm
Wow! East Germany? As far as I know, Elvis Presley's music was not available in the communist countries of the Eastern Europe. In Romania was not.
Russian LP, Элвис Пресли = Elvis Presley
R-1392593-1251386874.jpeg.jpg
Image Image Image
Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

ForeverElvis wrote:
We also got The Sun Sessions in 1976.
I've never seen a Canadian pressing of the '76 Sun Sessions...

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

In the Elvis-An Illustrated Record, Mick Farren and Roy Carr wrote that Carr suggested the Sun Collection to the UK Starcall in an attempt to see what unreleased Sun material was in the RCA vaults, in light of the release of the outtakes on the bootleg Good Rockin' Tonight. If sufficient material had been found, it would have been double LP or bonus EP. RCA denied Carr and Starcall access so they put the Sun Collection together in 1975. Its strong sales in the UK, and the lack of new material available from the Today Sessions, gave RCA the opportunity to release the set stateside.
Last edited by Mike C on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Interesting that it took RCA 20 years to release the collection of some of Elvis' finest recordings...

ForeverElvis

The Sun Sessions LP from 1976-some questions

Post by ForeverElvis »

elvis-fan wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
I’ll have to dig, my sun collection is the British pressing. My sun sessions may be a US import.

I’ll try to look this week, the closet is cluttered where my record bins are.
Always Elvis
Anthony

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:02 am
elvis-fan wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
I’ll have to dig, my sun collection is the British pressing. My sun sessions may be a US import.

I’ll try to look this week, the closet is cluttered where my record bins are.
I also didn't see it on Discogs that's why I mentioned it...

emjel
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by emjel »

Mike C wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 am
In the Elvis-An Illustrated Record, Mick Farren and Roy Carr wrote that Carr suggested the Sun Collection to the UK Starcall in an attempt to see what unreleased Sun material was in the RCA vaults, in light of the release of the outtakes on the bootleg Good Rockin' Tonight. If sufficient material has been found, it would have been double LP or bonus EP. RCA denied Carr and Starcall access so they put the Sun Collection together in 1975. Its strong sales in the UK, and the lack of new material available from the Today Sessions, gave RCA the opportunity to release the set stateside.
Not sure what you mean when you write that RCA denied Starcall access - Starcall was not a third party label as such like Pickwick - it was simply a series of U.K. budget albums, short lived too, that RCA put out under that heading and I am not aware of the word appearing in the label anywhere unlike RCA Camden. I believe all U.K. albums within the series ended two years after it started with around 40 titles in the series, although the name did get resurrected by RCA Australia several years later.
~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see

Wayfarer
Registered for: 1 year 3 months

Post by Wayfarer »

I don't have the Sun Collection anymore, so can't check the sleeve notes that I saw, but didn't a version of the LP have Roy Carr's sleeve notes end by dedicating the album to Led Zeppelin? I think it was only their individual names/nicknames, but Led Zeppelin might have got a name-check on at least the UK album.
Last edited by Wayfarer on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Steve Morse wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 pm
emjel wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:

Yes, I got the original version without sleeve notes (still have it) and was rather miffed when, shortly afterwards, the sleeve notes version came out. I seem to recall that some of the tracks were in electronically reprocessed garbage and that annoyed me intensely in that some people would think that's what the originals sounded like. I think there was a maxi single, too in the UK, but I'm not certain.
I'm pretty sure it was a mono album, but as this was the first Sun compilation, it was obviously compiled from various sources, and the existing RCA album masters
which were used for this compilation, had unnecessary added echo.

I would need to check this, but if my memory is correct, the UK album sounded better than the later US release.

elvinda58
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by elvinda58 »

A fan did hand a copy of the LP to Elvis at one of his shows in Las Vegas in December 1975

Topic author
jurasic1968
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

So it was the UK version of the LP.

jetblack
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by jetblack »

Steve Morse wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 pm
I think there was a maxi single, too in the UK, but I'm not certain.
The single you mention Steve was released in September 1975. It contained the tracks 'Blue Moon' backed with 'You're A Heartbreaker', and 'I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone' (RCA 2601). It did not chart.
elvinda58 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:20 am
A fan did hand a copy of the LP to Elvis at one of his shows in Las Vegas in December 1975
I have listed that audio on second post down on this very thread.

Andy
Elvis - King of the UK charts

Topic author
jurasic1968
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

As a side note, I read on the Keith Flynn's website that on the July 5 1954 (his first professional recording), Elvis recorded Harbor Lights, I Love You Because and That's All Right, Mama. Now I realized what Sam Phillips said to Jerry Hopkins in his interview for his first book. "Elvis sang insipid ballads for a couple of hours that day and I wasn't impressed. But suddenly he burst into That's All Right, Mama and I instantly knew that this was the right choice for his first single". He was right. I doubt if Elvis' first single were the first 2 songs (ballads) Presley could had an impact in the music business.

elvinda58

Post by elvinda58 »

December 13th 1975 dinner show is when a fan by the name of John Andrews handed Elvis the lp which was the U.K release.This show was released by FTD Dinner At Eight.

jetblack
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by jetblack »

elvinda58 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm
December 13th 1975 dinner show is when a fan by the name of John Andrews handed Elvis the lp which was the U.K release.This show was released by FTD Dinner At Eight.
I have listed that audio on second post down on this very thread.

Andy
Elvis - King of the UK charts

elvinda58

Post by elvinda58 »

Sorry Andy. I missed your post as i scrolled down too fast but i did at least name the fan who handed Elvis the l.p.

elvinda58

Post by elvinda58 »

Sorry Andy i must have scrolled down too quickly and missed your post but at least you now know the name of the fan who handed Elvis the LP.