Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
nyelvfan
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

"Suspicious Minds" on Behind Closed Doors

Post by nyelvfan »

I just listened to this version for the first time and I'm very convinced that it is not the 16th of Feb. 1970 like people think it is. It really sounds like Aug. '69. BTW- I Got a Woman sounds great on this one!

iamhekev
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Re: "Suspicious Minds" on Behind Closed Doors

Post by iamhekev »

One day it will be issued...or two.

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

nyelvfan wrote:I just listened to this version for the first time and I'm very convinced that it is not the 16th of Feb. 1970 like people think it is. It really sounds like Aug. '69. BTW- I Got a Woman sounds great on this one!
The debate rages on -- if it is August 1969, someone cut the master up.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

SM on Behind Closed Doors is most definitely from August '69, however, it's been condensed to a mere 4:43, including applause.

Eagle

drjohncarpenter

John from Woodley wrote:How do you know? Please do tell.
Ann Coulter told him -- so it must be true.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

It's easy enough to tell after listening to that version and comparing it to many other versions from August '69 & February, '70.

Too bad Johnny has nothing sensible to say on the topic. Typical. Listen and learn, Johnny. You might even get an autographed photo of Ann Coulter if you're a good boy.
Last edited by EagleUSA on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle

drjohncarpenter

John from Woodley wrote:I just wondered if you had hard evidence of a date.
Keep dreaming, John.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Maybe the "King of the FECC forum" can enlighten all of us with something more substantial from his pie hole, other than the usual breath odor.

Eagle

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

John from Woodley wrote:
EagleUSA wrote:It's easy enough to tell after listening to dozens of shows from that period.
I just wondered if you had hard evidence of a date.
The date written on the acetate used for "Behind Closed Doors" nailed it for me - And it wasn't 1969! :wink: - Sorry Eagle

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I haven't heard this recording myself but wouldn't the drumming style give away the season it is from? Since we have an official version of "Suspicious Minds" from the "On Stage" upgrade it shouldn't be too hard to figure this out.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Matthew wrote:I haven't heard this recording myself but wouldn't the drumming style give away the season it is from? Since we have an official version of "Suspicious Minds" from the "On Stage" upgrade it shouldn't be too hard to figure this out.
Exactly.

That is Ronnie Tutt playing the drums on this recording - NOT Bob Lanning. IMO, there is NO WAY you can confuse the two.

And just like Eagle said, just play a known version from '69 and one from Feb '70. The drumming, tempo (70 versions are faster), drum fills, are very different. Bob Lanning's fills are always simple, snare drum fills. Ronnie used all the toms along with the snare.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

Matthew wrote:I haven't heard this recording myself
You haven't heard this?

What are you doing here contributing to this thread if you haven't heard it?

Come on Matthew, at least comment on something you've heard!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Keith F wrote:
Matthew wrote:I haven't heard this recording myself
You haven't heard this?

What are you doing here contributing to this thread if you haven't heard it?

Come on Matthew, at least comment on something you've heard!
You believe my post does not contribute?

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

I remember at one time concluding that the behind closed doors version was a sped of version of either the performance on "Elvis At The International" or "All Shook Up" (I can't remember which) , except with the background harmony vocal mixed signifigantly higher. I don't have any of the appropriate titles handy, but if anyone wants to do some comparisons this is a good place to start.

King Of The Jungle

KingOfTheJungle

John from Woodley wrote: No, it's none of those I'm afraid. I have compared them and there are too many differences.
Ok, I just pulled out all of the 69/Feb 70 versions of "Suspicious Minds" to compare with the Behind Closed Doors version, and John from Woodley, you are correct it is neither of the two versions I mentioned above. Here is what i have found though:

The "Behind Closed Doors" version IS indeed a 1969 performance rather than February 16 1970 as noted on the sleeve. It runs approximately 5% too fast, and it sounds to me like there is a splice at around the 3:07 mark (when played at the uncorrected speed), right before Elvis says "because I love...", which would explain the shorter run time.

But this is DEFINATELY a 1969 version for two obvious reasons: The drummer is obviously Tutt, but moreso the pianist is OBVIOUSLY Larry Muhoberac instead of Glen D. Hardin (this is the dead giveaway as they had wildly divergent styles).

King Of The Jungle

drjohncarpenter

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
John from Woodley wrote: No, it's none of those I'm afraid. I have compared them and there are too many differences.
Ok, I just pulled out all of the 69/Feb 70 versions of "Suspicious Minds" to compare with the Behind Closed Doors version, and John from Woodley, you are correct it is neither of the two versions I mentioned above. Here is what i have found though:

The "Behind Closed Doors" version IS indeed a 1969 performance rather than February 16 1970 as noted on the sleeve. It runs approximately 5% too fast, and it sounds to me like there is a splice at around the 3:07 mark (when played at the uncorrected speed), right before Elvis says "because I love...", which would explain the shorter run time.

But this is DEFINATELY a 1969 version for two obvious reasons: The drummer is obviously Tutt, but moreso the pianist is OBVIOUSLY Larry Muhoberac instead of Glen D. Hardin (this is the dead giveaway as they had wildly divergent styles).
Good post -- I will have a listen tonight and see what I can acertain.

If correct, why was an edited acetate cut in 1970 -- after the release of the official live LP in 1969, which had a performance of "Suspicious Minds"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

KingOfTheJungle

Thanks, Doc.
drjohncarpenter wrote: If correct, why was an edited acetate cut in 1970 -- after the release of the official live LP in 1969, which had a performance of "Suspicious Minds"?
An interesting question indeed.

King Of The Jungle

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Good post -- I will have a listen tonight and see what I can acertain.
Come on "Ruler" - If indeed you are to be considered this, please get your spelling correct!
drjohncarpenter wrote:If correct, why was an edited acetate cut in 1970 -- after the release of the official live LP in 1969, which had a performance of "Suspicious Minds"?
Why Indeed, Especially as the acetate used on "Behind Closed Doors" has February 16 1970 written on it!

KingOfTheJungle

Keith F wrote:Why Indeed, Especially as the acetate used on "Behind Closed Doors" has February 16 1970 written on it!
Its not all that uncommon for live performance material to be misdated, remember the box for the 8/3/69 SB was labeled as 7/31/69.

King Of The Jungle

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Keith F wrote:Why Indeed, Especially as the acetate used on "Behind Closed Doors" has February 16 1970 written on it!
Its not all that uncommon for live performance material to be misdated, remember the box for the 8/3/69 SB was labeled as 7/31/69.
Yes, but it was uncommon for a 1969 "Live" track to be dated as being from 1970 - Unless, of course RCA were planning on putting out a spliced version (1969/1970) of 'Suspicious Minds', which never saw light of day, apart from an acetate cut in 1970, that eventually found it's way to the "Behind Closed Doors" Bootleg set.

This would explain a lot, John!

KingOfTheJungle

It would have been difficult for an engineer to splice a 1969 and 1970 performance of the song together given the varying tempos they were performed at, and it would seem rather a pointless task, but I guess anything is possible.

From the audio evidence though, I am of the opinion that this is a spliced 1969 performance, as it is obviously Larry Muhoberac on piano. Compare Muhoberac's simple 4/4 count "metronome-like" piano on "All Shook Up" and "Elvis At The International" to Hardin's more Jazzy approach on "Polk Salad Annie" and "On Stage". Also, it seems that Bob Lanning started out his drum parts with a couple of snare shots, whereas Tutt started out on the Hi-hat (not to mention Tutt's overall level of greater comfort with fills). I think you will agree that this is a 1969 performance.

My best guess on this was that RCA potentially considered releasing a live single to promote the "In Person" album, which was released in the earlier part of 1970, so they spliced a performance of "Suspicious Minds" and sped it up slightly to bring the length down from 8:00 to the more radio friendly length of 4:30.

Of course the speed error could be due to that turntable the acetate was transferred on.

King Of The Jungle

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

It is probably 69 ....sounds like crap anyway..Oh..RCA released the on stage album lying to public with feb 70 title (69 tracks in there as well) so...the acetate could have been made months after the fact etc...

ElvisInNorway
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by ElvisInNorway »

nyelvfan wrote:I just listened to this version for the first time and I'm very convinced that it is not the 16th of Feb. 1970 like people think it is. It really sounds like Aug. '69. BTW- I Got a Woman sounds great on this one!
Hello!

This seems to be a never ending puzzle, even though it shouldn't be.

Several Elvis fans, even knowledgeable ones, fails to hear the solid difference between a bluesy, high-quality 1969 version of Suspicious Minds and a more pop-ish, rushed 1970-version. And fails to hear the difference between Ronnie Tutt and Bob Lanning on drums.

'Suspicious Minds' on Behind Closed Doors is taken from an August 1969 concert, yet to be determind. It has been edited and shortened, but most importantly; speeded up (supposedly to reflect the 1970 tempo of the song). It more or less is a con-job, done several years ago. Successfully, it seems.

Enclosed is a 1-minute sample of my own doctored version of this song. I have cut away the splice at the beginning of the song, and slowed it down (pitched it down) by 5-6 %.

Hopefully this will make it clear to more Elvis fans that Audiofön never released a 1970 master of Suspicious Minds on their Behind Closed Doors (which by the way have other manipulated tracks on it).

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/other/susmindsbcd.mp3

Regards

Oven Egeland
Elvis In Norway
http://www.elvisinnorway.no

MIKEMORAN
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by MIKEMORAN »

I dont have the 'Behind closed doors' set but was wondering if the version of suspicious minds on the 'Rock my soul' bootleg album was the same one.

MY GOD ! HE'S MAKING A THUNDERBOLT.

MIKEMORAN
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by MIKEMORAN »

I have the original cd of 'a dinner date' and i understand suspicious minds was on the re-issue. The dates on 'Rock my soul' are very inaccurate, the version of suspicious minds on this release is not from 1972 as stated on the sleeve.

MY GOD ! HE'S MAKING A THUNDERBOLT.