Humes High Talent Show 1953 --> There Were Two?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Humes High Talent Show 1953 --> There Were Two?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The Humes High School 20th Anniversary reunion that never was.

Class of 1953 schoolmate Shirley Hubanks says hello to Elvis in May 1973, at the Sahara Hotel in Lake Tahoe.

730500_w Humes classmate Shirley Hubanks.jpg

1953 Humes Herald_Shirley Hubanks_DETAIL.jpg
The first time I saw Elvis perform was at the Male Beauty Show at Humes.

Elvis asked me to sign his yearbook, and I asked him to sign mine. He couldn’t believe that I wanted him to sign mine.

Elvis’ mother and my grandmother worked together at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Buddy, Teresa and I visited Graceland several times during the early years that Elvis lived there. My mother, Katherine, and I had the pleasure of being the guests of Elvis and Red West for a weekend at the Sahara Hotel in Lake Tahoe, Nevada in May, 1973. The opening night party was spectacular.

Elvis never forgot his roots or his friends. I saw several of his concerts before he died. He was a great entertainer and a good friend.

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34176

She appears in the Herald about five pages before Elvis.

1953 Humes Herald_Shirley Hubanks.jpg

Shirley was "Popularity Queen for two years." ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

L.C. Humes High School Class of June 1953

L.C. Humes High School Class of June 1953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Photo likely taken after the March and April talent shows, trip supported by talent show sponsor:

With Humes classmates Fannie Crowder (maybe), Virginia Eddleman, Len Ledbetter (maybe), and Georgia Avgeris (maybe) - circa April 1953

George Grimes

Everyone in the talent show got to make a trip to the University of Mississippi as part of Humes Honor Society sponsorship.

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34176

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

A little over year and a half after his talent shows at, and graduation from, Humes, Elvis appeared on the radio.

541016_w Moore_Black_Page.jpg
With Scotty, Bill and announcer Frank Page, "Louisiana Hayride" - Saturday, October 16, 1954
KWKH Radio live broadcast, Presley's "Hayride" debut.

"Lucky Strike" cigarettes sponsored half-hour, 9:00 - 9:30 pm

Floyd Tillman (guest) "Slipping Around" and "I'll Take What I Can Get" (Columbia)
Ginny Wright "How To Get Married" (Fabor)
Elvis Presley, Scotty and Bill (guest) "That's All Right" and "Blue Moon of Kentucky" (Sun)
Dobber Johnson "Black Mountain Rag" (cover - Curley Fox single, King)
Hoot and Curley "Come Home With Me Today"
Tibby Edwards "Much Too Young To Die" (cover - Ray Price single, Columbia)
Dorothy Collins "Lucky Strike" theme song
Betty Amos "Loose Talk" (cover - Carl Smith single, Columbia)

BONUS AUDIO

Ginny
https://s3.amazonaws.com/RE-Warehouse/l/louisiana_hayride_19xx-xx-xx_ginny_wright_-_tell_me_how_to_get_married.mp3

Elvis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLaPnpjw-pc

Dobber
https://s3.amazonaws.com/RE-Warehouse/l/louisiana_hayride_19xx-xx-xx_dobber_johnson_-_black_mountain_rag.mp3

Tibby
https://s3.amazonaws.com/RE-Warehouse/l/louisiana_hayride_19xx-xx-xx_tibby_edwards_-_im_much_to_young_to_die.mp3

Betty
https://s3.amazonaws.com/RE-Warehouse/l/louisiana_hayride_19xx-xx-xx_betty_amos_-_loose_talk.mp3

BONUS HAYRIDE ADVERTISEMENT

541016_Shreveport Times_p6A.png

541016_Shreveport Times_p6A_DETAIL.png

Adjusted for inflation, $1.00 in 1954 is equal to $9.55 in 2020.
Adjusted for inflation, $0.50 in 1954 is equal to $4.78 in 2020.

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1954
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Although hard to find in the 1953 Humes Herald, classmate Bobby "Red" West distinguished himself as a senior in 1954-1955 for the Humes High football team.

One big game that season was the Ninth Annual Exchange Bowl at Rothrock Field in Jackson, TN. Humes destroyed Central High from Bruceton, 31 to 0. The contest was held on Thursday, November 18, 1954, and it's very likely Humes High alum Elvis went, as he was a big fan of the team that year, was friends with Red, and had no apparent concert commitment that night with Scotty and Bill.

541117_Memphis Press-Scimitar_TOP HUMES MEN_Jerry Sanders_Red West.jpg

Exchange Bowl To Offer Color In Addition To Fine Grid Game

By JACK HILLIARD
Sun Sports Editor

Hardly more than 48 hours separate us from the Ninth Exchange Bowl endeavor, and most of Jackson and surrounding territory are beginning to get "Bowl fever".

At 1:00 p. m. on the afternoon of the game (Thursday, November 18th), a huge band festival will take place in conjunction with the Exchange Bowl at Rothrock Field. Admission to the festival will be free for Bowl-game ticket holders, others will be charged a twenty-five cent admission fee. Promptly at 3:45 p. m. the Exchange Bowl parade will get underway in downtown Jackson.

The parade will consist of car's representing the various civic clubs of Jackson and some 12 bands. The bands here representing their schools will be: Humes, Bruceton, Dyersburg, Trenton, Alamo, Savannah, Henderson, North Side, Milan, Jackson High, Junior High, and Selmer. There is some doubt concerning the participation of the Selmer band due to transportation difficulties.

At Rothrock Field again, at 7:15 p. m. the fine Hume High School Band will take the field and perform for ten minutes. At 7:25 Bruceton's great band will go through their maneuvers, and at 7:35 the teams take the field for pre-game warm-up. In glorious formation, at 7:55, the 12 bands, numbering some 600 musicians, will march onto the field, and led by a guest director, will play the National Anthem.

Exchange Bowl fans will be welcomed to the game by Exchange Club President Jimmy Breen. Mayor Emmet Guy will present the keys to the City to Humes and Bruceton officials, and Miss Jackson and her Maids will be presented as royalty for the game. At half time, trophies will be presented to bands winning in various class-competitions during the afternoon band festival.

Judges at the band festival will be Dr. Jay Julian, Band Director at TP1 in Cookeville, and Richard Farrell, Band Director at Murray State, Murray, Kentucky. In the event of rain, the festival will be held at the National Guard Armory, and the game will be tentatively postponed to Saturday night. (Editors note: We state, without reservation, there will be no rain, a little snow perhaps, but no rain!)

The game fairly reeks with color. Not only will the game be surrounded with brilliant pageantry, but the game itself bids fair to be enough to pull in real football fans from all over West Tennessee. Humes comes into the contest fresh from a 16-7 win over a strong Messick club. Through this win Humes eased up another notch in state ratings to the number five spot. Bruceton, with a 29-game win streak that hits you dead in the face, will be out to erase Humes from the top ten, the top 20 and the top 100.

Bruceton fans will be transported to Jackson from the Blue Tiger city by train. Anyone with a ticket to the Exchange Bowl will be allowed to ride free to the Hub City. C. M. Wear, trainmaster, is largely responsible for this "booster train", and certainly deserves a large amount of credit for this fine service to the people in the Bruceton area.

Who'll win? You will if you attend. And, not only will you win, but you'll be helping some Madison County youngster attend a Madison County college for two years courtesy of you and the person sitting next to you.

Exchange Club scholarships are now held by James Gass and Darrell Piercy at Union, and Russell Teddington and Arnold Schroeder at Lambuth.

The Little White House is still open on the corner of Liberty and Main for your convenience. Tickets are only $2.20, $1.65, $1.40 and 90 cents. All signs point to a tremendous crowd, and there's room for everyone to see and enjoy the Ninth Annual Exchange Bowl tilt between two of the state's top elevens, Humes and Bruceton.

Jackson Sun - Tuesday, November 16, 1954
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/282743423/

All Memphis 1954_Prep Football.jpg

In between accompanying Presley on some early tours in 1955, West went on to play more football at Jones County Junior College in Ellisville, MS, with his team making it all the way to the Pasadena Bowl in California on December 10, 1955. They lost that one to Compton College, 22 to 13. It was an historic event, the first time a segregated Mississippi team played an integrated squad.

https://jcjcathletics.com/news/2017/7/20/ex-bobcat-football-player-elvis-bodyguard-actor-red-west-dies-at-81.aspx
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

fever-records
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by fever-records »

Hi everyone, I was doing some research related to the evening of April 9th ​​because I was determined to find out if indeed there was a real winner of this competition. Indeed, no major bio and not even Elvis himself in 1972 ever openly stated that he had actually won the competition! This difficult research of mine was fueled by a sensational discovery I made some time ago: on Ebay, more than a year ago, I noticed an auction relating to a strange object; reading the description and seeing the photos I got a heart attack!!! (open the link below and you will understand). The problem is that I actually, in that moment, didn't know if Elvis had won the competition or not but even if he hadn't, Elvis was certainly close to this object!!! And if he had really won then I began to think that I would become famous and ended up in the news all over the world!!! :D
I placed a very high bid and surpassed the one before mine but at some point object disappeared and no response from the seller to my emails!!! I wanted to die and I was, as you can easily image, very, very pissed...Who bought it? Why hasn't the winner yet formalized the possession of this object ??? Maybe the winner is here among us :D but I don't care now, the only thing I really care is to know what really happened that night...One thing here is sure that this object is going to change the Elvis history of those days...
It may be that I am having a lot of illusions about this thing but surely this link below will amaze many of you!!! Thanks for your attention and I look forward to your reply!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-elvis-presley-humes-high-1921912668

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Interesting post.

But all indications are that there wasn't a competition the night of the Humes High "Annual Minstrel." Nothing has ever been mentioned about such a thing, and no one has ever claimed either school show involved a trophy for a contest winner. Of the 22 performances noted in the April 9, 1954 program, at least 10 featured members of the school band, and one presented a five year-old "twirler" who was years away from attending the high school.

We may never know why this trophy was made, or if it even figured at all in that evening.

L@@K - RARE VINTAGE ELVIS PRESLEY HUMES HIGH SCHOOL 1ST PLACE 1953 TROPHY CUP

I came across this trophy in a box of old trophies I bought at a house auction near Clarksville, Tennessee. I didn’t think anything of this particular one until I searched the name of the school and found out it’s the high school Elvis Presley graduated from! And it’s dated the same year Elvis graduated! It has light scratches all around and a couple dents on the rim, but overall it’s in pretty good condition. Just think, there would have been only one first place trophy from that high school’s talent show that particular year, and Elvis was probably in attendance! Really an amazing piece!Selling with NO RESERVE. Also, this item will be shipped in a rigid, oversized box to ensure it arrives safely.

vintage-elvis-presley-humes-high_1_786cfe26299177a6ebb98a1fdc69c6c2.jpg
vintage-elvis-presley-humes-high_1_786cfe26299177a6ebb98a1fdc69c6c2 (1).jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-elvis-presley-humes-high-1921912668

fever-records wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 pm
Hi everyone, I was doing some research related to the evening of April 9th ​​because I was determined to find out if indeed there was a real winner of this competition. Indeed, no major bio and not even Elvis himself in 1972 ever openly stated that he had actually won the competition! This difficult research of mine was fueled by a sensational discovery I made some time ago: on Ebay, more than a year ago, I noticed an auction relating to a strange object; reading the description and seeing the photos I got a heart attack!!! (open the link below and you will understand). The problem is that I actually, in that moment, didn't know if Elvis had won the competition or not but even if he hadn't, Elvis was certainly close to this object!!! And if he had really won then I began to think that I would become famous and ended up in the news all over the world!!! :D

I placed a very high bid and surpassed the one before mine but at some point object disappeared and no response from the seller to my emails!!! I wanted to die and I was, as you can easily image, very, very pissed...Who bought it? Why hasn't the winner yet formalized the possession of this object ??? Maybe the winner is here among us :D but I don't care now, the only thing I really care is to know what really happened that night...One thing here is sure that this object is going to change the Elvis history of those days...

It may be that I am having a lot of illusions about this thing but surely this link below will amaze many of you!!! Thanks for your attention and I look forward to your reply!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Phenomenal thread. Probably the best ever I've ever had the honour of engaging in.

Thank you all for your time, effort and exclusive details surrounding this unbelievably interesting time in the Presley saga.

Doc, u da man !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

minkahed wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 pm
Phenomenal thread. Probably the best ever I've ever had the honour of engaging in.

Thank you all for your time, effort and exclusive details surrounding this unbelievably interesting time in the Presley saga.

Doc, u da man !!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Clearly, there are still stories to be told about the mysterious early days of a phenomenal career. I continue to pursue a few leads in relation to this topic. If they bear fruit, the results will be shared here for every good member of the forum.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Nigel77
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by Nigel77 »

DJC, I guess your view is that Darrin Memmer's recent books (including the 2nd talent show) are of no great value to the discussion?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Nigel77 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:31 am
DJC, I guess your view is that Darrin Memmer's recent books (including the 2nd talent show) are of no great value to the discussion?

His books are of no value to a serious discussion of any aspect of the life or career of Elvis Presley.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Member Greg1995 uploaded a concert shot from this final appearance at Humes, and another (?) version of the program.

Adding them here as well:

560113_Humes High appearance.jpg

560113_Humes High program.jpg

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:32 am
Humes Honor Society

The Male Version Of

* MUSICAL HATS *

Friday, January 13 - 8pm - Humes Auditorium

Added Attraction - Elvis Presley and his guitar.

John Heath
January 8, 2017 ·

Elvis’ last appearance at Humes High School, Jan.12, 1956. [sic] He had just finished his first recording session in Nashville, Tn. He recorded, “I Got Woman”, “Heartbreak Hotel and “ I Was The One”. He sang three songs and told an off colored joke and the Principal dismissed him. The is an original program from that event, it is signed on the back.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1222868897749811&set=p.1222868897749811&type=3&theater

Studio Session
RCA Studios, 1525 McGavock Street, Nashville, Tennessee

Tuesday, January 10, 1956
I Got A Woman
Heartbreak Hotel
Money Honey

Wednesday, January 11, 1956
I'm Counting On You
I Was The One

http://elvisrecordings.com/s560110.htm

Same "Humes Honor Society" show three years before, as per tradition Humes boys in drag, circa January 1953:

1953 Humes Herald yearbook

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Greg1995
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Greg1995 »

As for the March 27, 1953 talent show I've been informed by a lady who had attended it and has the program for it that Elvis won the contest and did an encore. Here source is crucial so drop me a PM and I will give you the name of the lady. Elvis have sang "Old Shep" at this show (two sources).

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Greg1995 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:29 am
As for the March 27, 1953 talent show I've been informed by a lady who had attended it and has the program for it that Elvis won the contest and did an encore. Here source is crucial so drop me a PM and I will give you the name of the lady. Elvis have sang "Old Shep" at this show (two sources).

All of this is already confirmed, have you not read the previous pages of this topic?

Page 1 establishes the fact of two shows, what kind of shows they were, and the songs Elvis likely sang at both.

The March event was a talent show and carnival, with tickets sold to pay for school supplies and the whole thing was produced by Humes High teacher Mildred Scrivener. The April date was an "Annual Minstrel" organized by the Humes High School Band, and they performed the majority of the songs.

March 27, 1953 (Fri) - Humes High School Carnival Presents The Variety Show

"Old Shep" (Red Foley with Roy Ross and His Ramblers)

April 9, 1953 (Thu) - Humes High Band Presents Its Annual Minstrel

"Till I Waltz Again With You" (Teresa Brewer)
"Keep Them Cold Icy Fingers Off Of Me" (Pee Wee King and His Golden West Cowboys)

A few pages later, John Heath's son contributed some memories from Margaret Garland, who was in possession of the March program and ticket. She is who you are referring to, I assume.

Margaret attended the show because she was the girlfriend of Humes High Senior Carl Bethea, and he was one of the performers that evening. She may have possibly graduated from Humes in the class of 1952.

This is her Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/margaret.garland.3/

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 am
She remembered Elvis as wearing a red shirt and propping his foot up on a chair to balance his guitar on his leg because he was too poor to afford a guitar strap. She vividly recalled that as Elvis began to sing -- "Old Shep" -- that a hush fell over the crowd. She said it became so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I asked her why that was and I distinctly remember her reaction because it left an impression on me. She started to say "because he was so good", and then she stopped herself and grew reflective. "There was just something about him -- an earnestness that you couldn't help but be moved by." (You really couldn't describe Elvis better, could you?). She said that after he finished the auditorium just erupted in applause -- it was like nothing she'd seen at the high school before. She remembered Elvis won the talent show and was brought back at the end to sing another song (which she didn't know the title of and didn't remember much about other than to describe it as a pop type song), and she also remembered how the other kids at Humes -- including some of her friends -- made an effort to stop Elvis in the hall and tell them how much they had enjoyed his singing.

I also asked Mrs. Garland about the Minstrel Show, since it had always been assumed that that show was the storied talent show with Old Shep. She said that she didn't go to the minstrel show that year (1953), and that other than being aware of the show (and confirming that some of the students who appeared in that show had worn blackface in previous years) she couldn't tell me anything about it.

He also added very interesting information about the 1956 Humes performance, and mentioned the photo you posted today.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pm
Doc mentioned earlier in the thread that Humes had an event that was a "Male Beauty Pageant" that featured the Humes boys dressing in drag -- but did you know that Elvis's performance at Humes on Jan 13, 1956 was actually in the middle of one of those pageants? That year it was called "Musical Hats -- An All Male Beauty Pageant". We found a program for this from another Humes alum who had been there, and Elvis was listed as performing twice - once at intermission, and again at the end of the show. BUT, from the account of the person we got the program from Elvis only played the intermission spot, and was asked by the principal to leave because he told an off-color joke (something about hoping the lights didn't go out because someone might try to milk a bull), so he never performed the second spot. The person we got it from also claimed that Elvis played there solo, with just his guitar, even though he was a national name at the time, but we later found out that was a faulty memory because a photo surfaced from the show -- you can clearly see the "Musical Hats" backdrop on the stage, and D.J. and Bill Black are visible in the picture along with Elvis!

There's all sorts of other research on the previous pages, please check it out.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Greg1995

Post by Greg1995 »

On May 30, 1956 Elvis attended the 1956 graduation held at Ellis Auditorium in Memphis.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Greg1995 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:57 pm
On May 30, 1956 Elvis attended the 1956 graduation held at Ellis Auditorium in Memphis.
560530_Humes High Graduation program cover.jpg
560530_at Ellis Auditorium.jpg

So, again, am I correct from my previous post that the person you're talking about is Margaret Garland?

We're getting a little off the topic here with the above post, but this event has been noted before. It was something I wrote about when I was remembering Dixie Locke, his most important pre-fame girlfriend.

Elvis went specifically to this graduation day because Dixie had finished her senior year at South Side High School. The ceremony at Ellis was for both South Side and Humes High. I suspect Elvis paid more attention to the South Side graduates.

Yesterday was the 65th Anniversary of that South Side / Humes graduation. I hope Dixie is doing well, she must be 83 now.

Below is part of what I shared.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 am
Given that serious high school girlfriend DIxie Locke has been letting go of some rare photos recently, I thought some here might like to read her thoughts on the time she shared with Elvis, taken from a recent article. She really comes off as a decent and honorable person in his life.

[snip]

In the January 1978 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine, a 1977 interview with Elvis' dad Vernon was published.

Conducted by Nancy Anderson, he remembered Dixie with great warmth:

In high school, Elvis met a girl named Dixie Locke and decided he was in love. Gladys and I thought maybe they would get married, because Dixie was a mighty likable girl, and Elvis thought a lot of her. It didn’t Work out, but I still hear from Dixie to this day.

Until he was nearly grown, I had no idea what Elvis was planning to do with his future. It turned out that he wasn’t too sure, either. I remember right after he graduated from high school I went into his room and found him lying on his bed.

“Son,” I asked him, “what do you Want to do now? Do you want to go to college? Because, if you do, we’ll manage to send you. Do you want to go to work? What do you want to do next?"

They stayed in touch after the fame hit in 1956, though. Elvis made a point of attending her graduation from high school (!) and they also met up when he took a break from filming "Love Me Tender" later that same year.

At Ellis Auditorium for the Humes High/South Side High Senior Graduation ceremonies - Wednesday, May 30, 1956
Dixie graduated from South Side High. This photo is unconfirmed as being from this day, anyone know for sure?

With Dixie Locke and friends, 1034 Audubon, Memphis - Saturday, September 22, 1956
Source:
Flashback: An Audiovisual Documentary (Follow That Dream, May 15, 2004)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Greg1995

Post by Greg1995 »

It seems that Lamar Fike might have heard Elvis' take on "Without You" .

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Greg1995 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:45 pm
It seems that Lamar Fike might have heard Elvis' take on "Without You" .

Fike quote.jpg

Not a chance in the world.

There isn't a shred of evidence to support any of this, let alone knowing where the quote even comes from.

It appears you copied it from someone's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/602413499855950/posts/summer-1954-lamar-fike-first-on-meeting-with-elvis-presley

It has NO source. Please don't do that.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

fever-records
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by fever-records »

Hello there!

Sorry for the huge delay in reply but I had totally forgotten it.

Ok, I agree with you that there is not any evidence about an Annual Minstrel prize but I think that this cup is the principal piece of evidence! Something we don’t know has definitely happened that night because it is not a "generic" cup but but it refers precisely to that event! It may be that the cup is "fake" then this would be another story but I believe that such a thing cannot be dismissed as nothing, at least in my modest opinion.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:15 am
Interesting post.

But all indications are that there wasn't a competition the night of the Humes High "Annual Minstrel." Nothing has ever been mentioned about such a thing, and no one has ever claimed either school show involved a trophy for a contest winner. Of the 22 performances noted in the April 9, 1954 program, at least 10 featured members of the school band, and one presented a five year-old "twirler" who was years away from attending the high school.

We may never know why this trophy was made, or if it even figured at all in that evening.

L@@K - RARE VINTAGE ELVIS PRESLEY HUMES HIGH SCHOOL 1ST PLACE 1953 TROPHY CUP

I came across this trophy in a box of old trophies I bought at a house auction near Clarksville, Tennessee. I didn’t think anything of this particular one until I searched the name of the school and found out it’s the high school Elvis Presley graduated from! And it’s dated the same year Elvis graduated! It has light scratches all around and a couple dents on the rim, but overall it’s in pretty good condition. Just think, there would have been only one first place trophy from that high school’s talent show that particular year, and Elvis was probably in attendance! Really an amazing piece!Selling with NO RESERVE. Also, this item will be shipped in a rigid, oversized box to ensure it arrives safely.

fever-records wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

fever-records wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:38 pm
Hello there!

Sorry for the huge delay in reply but I had totally forgotten it.

Ok, I agree with you that there is not any evidence about an Annual Minstrel prize but I think that this cup is the principal piece of evidence! Something we don’t know has definitely happened that night because it is not a "generic" cup but but it refers precisely to that event! It may be that the cup is "fake" then this would be another story but I believe that such a thing cannot be dismissed as nothing, at least in my modest opinion.

Appreciate your enthusiasm, but as I wrote a year and a half back, I don't feel it is evidence of anything in regards to this topic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jacob
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by jacob »

I've nothing to add I just wanted to say what a fantastic topic this is Doc and thank you for creating and adding to it!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

jacob wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:40 pm
I've nothing to add I just wanted to say what a fantastic topic this is Doc and thank you for creating and adding to it!

Thank you for the kind words. It was a "sticky" topic for a long while, as I was in communication with someone who might have been able to add something VERY special and unprecedented to the topic. But ill health has caused a setback.

Meanwhile, someone decided this was no longer worth a "sticky" designation and removed it. Priorities, right?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Another piece to this amazing little puzzle of the 1953 high school talent show appearances by Elvis.

It seems his grade school teacher recognized his love of singing "Old Shep," and that he knew it deeply moved those who listened.

And the performance reference could well be the March 1953 event written about on this topic.

560923_Hammond Times_p11.jpg

Elvis Sent Them Even In Grade School

TUPELO, Miss. (UP) -- Recording star Elvis Presley's fifth grade teacher remembers him as a barefoot boy who captivated his classmates with his guitar and mournful tunes.

Mrs. J. C. Grimes recalls that Presley, just nine years ago, would sit alone on the steps of Lawhon junior high school here and strum his guitar, ignoring the students who teased him.

Now and then he'd sing in the school assembly programs.

"One song he sang quite often was 'Old Shep.' I can see him now, strumming the guitar and singing 'Old Shep' with so much feeling and emotion that almost everyone in the auditorium was crying before he finished," Mrs. Grimes said.

Presley made good grades and Mrs. Grimes said she "couldn't have asked for a better pupil."

Presley, at the age of 12, moved to Memphis, but he'll return to Tupelo this fall for an appearance at the Mississippi-Alabama fair.

Hammond Times - Sunday, September 23, 1956
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/307507099/

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mississippi
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mississippi »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:51 am
Another piece to this amazing little puzzle of the 1953 high school talent show appearances by Elvis.

It seems his grade school teacher recognized his love of singing "Old Shep," and that he knew it deeply moved those who listened.

And the performance reference could well be the March 1953 event written about on this topic.

Elvis Sent Them Even In Grade School

TUPELO, Miss. (UP) -- Recording star Elvis Presley's fifth grade teacher remembers him as a barefoot boy who captivated his classmates with his guitar and mournful tunes.

Mrs. J. C. Grimes recalls that Presley, just nine years ago, would sit alone on the steps of Lawhon junior high school here and strum his guitar, ignoring the students who teased him.

Now and then he'd sing in the school assembly programs.

"One song he sang quite often was 'Old Shep.' I can see him now, strumming the guitar and singing 'Old Shep' with so much feeling and emotion that almost everyone in the auditorium was crying before he finished," Mrs. Grimes said.

Presley made good grades and Mrs. Grimes said she "couldn't have asked for a better pupil."

Presley, at the age of 12, moved to Memphis, but he'll return to Tupelo this fall for an appearance at the Mississippi-Alabama fair.

Hammond Times - Sunday, September 23, 1956
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/307507099/

Great find, Doc.

Mississippi

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

The obituary for Bobby "Red" West popped up on another web page, but this time with a photo from the Jones County Junior College school yearbook.

No doubt Elvis knew all about his friend's exploits on the gridiron in the fall of 1955. The photo certainly shows how tough West appeared at the age of 19. He'd turn 20 the following March 8th.

Ex-Bobcat football player, Elvis bodyguard, actor Red West dies at 81

550900_Bobby West_Center_Jones County JC.jpg

Football | 7/20/2017 | 10:54:00 AM

ELLISVILLE – One of the most well-known former Jones County Junior College students has passed away.

Bobby Gene "Red" West, who was a friend of and bodyguard for Elvis Presley, died July 18 at Baptist Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, after suffering an aortic aneurysm. He was 81.

West was born in Bolivar, Tennessee, and became friends with Presley at Humes High School in Memphis.

West came to JCJC in 1955 and played football for the Bobcats.

Years later, he told the story of his time at JCJC when Elvis came to visit him and was kicked out of the dorm by Coach A.B. Howard.

The 1955 Bobcats won the Mississippi Junior College championship and were invited to the Junior Rose Bowl to play Compton Junior College (California) in Pasadena.

That was an historic game because it was the first time a segregated Mississippi team played against an integrated squad.

In 1977, JCJC returned to the Junior Rose Bowl to face Pasadena City College. West met with the Bobcats and rode the team bus from the hotel to the Rose Bowl for the game.

In October of 1995, West returned to the Jones' campus for the 40-year reunion of the 1955 Junior Rose Bowl. Players from JCJC and Compton were in attendance and were recognized at the game.

West would gain fame as an actor, songwriter and stuntman.

He starred in the late 1970s television series "Black Sheep Squadron" (originally known as "Baa Baa Black Sheep") and appeared in other TV shows, such as "The Six Million Dollar Man," "Magnum P.I.," "The A-Team," and "Nashville."

West was in numerous movies, with his role in "Road House" in 1989 being his most famous appearance. He was also in movies, such as "The Rainmaker," "Forty Shades of Blue," "Natural Born Killers," "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer," and "Glory Road."

West and his wife, Patricia West, celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary on July 1.

He is also survived by two sons, John Boyd West of Tampa, Florida, and Brent West of Memphis; a brother, Harold West, of Olive Branch; and six grandchildren.

Memorial Park Funeral Home in Memphis is in charge of arrangements.

https://jcbobcats.com/news/2017/7/20/ex-bobcat-football-player-elvis-bodyguard-actor-red-west-dies-at-81.aspx

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.