Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Re: Elvis in Paris 1962

Post by r&b »

Nice pics, but he should have been in Paris for real in 1962 on a world tour

carloselvis
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by carloselvis »

Very nice pics! Many thanks for the share!

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Spellbinder »

r&b wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:21 pm
Elvis did visit Paris in 1962. Not as part of a tour but as a guest of Tommy Steele who showed him around the city.

Ray

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Follow that Dream is one of the best movies that Elvis ever did. It should've done better in the United States and it should've done better abroad. Its the most underrated movie he ever did and the most underrated performance he ever gave. I wish more people had seen it back then. Unfortunately information is scare on how well films did overseas back then. Elvis's films certainly gave him exposure in other countries.

bajo
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by bajo »

Nice! My youngest (now 21) has taken over my likes for Elvis! We actuallly had a talk today about Elvis' movies! And his fav, as mine: FOLLOW THAT DREAM! :D

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

brian

Post by brian »

I know Elvis had thoughts of playing Europe and that would've included Paris. Elvis would've played the Palais des sports (Now called the Dome de Paris) in the seventies. If he had been booked by Parker he would've returned to Paris to play there. Elvis movies being shown in France and in other countries gave Elvis more exposure than appearing in concert would have. His movies being shown on tv in France gave him a bigger audience than he would've gotten from making a personal appearance there.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Spellbinder wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:42 pm
r&b wrote:
Elvis did visit Paris in 1962. Not as part of a tour but as a guest of Tommy Steele who showed him around the city.
??

Delboy
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Delboy »

r&b wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 pm
Spellbinder wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:42 pm
r&b wrote:
??
Yeah. That’s rubbish.

Delboy
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Delboy »

Greystoke wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:58 pm
brian wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Follow that Dream is one of the best movies that Elvis ever did. It should've done better in the United States and it should've done better abroad. Its the most underrated movie he ever did and the most underrated performance he ever gave. I wish more people had seen it back then. Unfortunately information is scare on how well films did overseas back then. Elvis's films certainly gave him exposure in other countries.
It done respectable business domestically ($2.8 million and top-ten at the weekly box office). Not matching Blue Hawaii or G.I. Blues, and not being as profitable as Love Me Tender, wasn't and isn't a sign of failure. Plus, it was a good film into the bargain, with Elvis benefiting from a good script, fine support and a very capable director in Gordon Douglas. Certain aspects of the film are misjudged and simply don't work, but what does work is overwhelmingly good. With Elvis doing some of his best acting into the bargain. And showing how far he had come since his early roles in 1956 and 1957.
Ashamed to say I haven’t seen Follow That Dream. I will dig it out. I’ve heard it’s pretty good.🥵

tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by tcb4 »

the number of seats is amazing for a cinema in Paris !!! today i dont know if we have that ...

Harty

Post by Harty »

Spellbinder wrote:
r&b wrote:
no

Gesendet von meinem SM-A520F mit Tapatalk

brian

Post by brian »

Bob-Holland wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:06 pm
There were so many ways for Elvis to get involved in the promotion of his movies, other than attending the premieres. Like organizing a meet and greet for the winner of a contest. Or inviting a contest winner to spend time with him on the set of a movie. Elvis was extremely good at speaking to the press, so why not organise press moments or a conference? Or maybe just do some (radio) interviews. I mean, how difficult could this have been (for Elvis)? Sadly we know all too well how Elvis Inc. was constructed.
Elvis probably would've done those things if he was asked to. It wouldn't have been difficult for him to do those things but either his manager or the studios didn't come up with those things. Whenever Elvis was asked to talk to the press or appear on television he did. They didn't make attending movie premieres mandatory so he didn't go. I don't know if doing any of those things would've helped increased the box office of Elvis's films.

brian

Post by brian »

Bob-Holland wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:38 pm
If he was asked to? Meaning he would only have to do them if his manager and/or the studios told him to do so??
You must think of Elvis as a brainless dumbass, or as a robot who could be switched on and off by managers and studio bosses.
Give the guy a bit more credit and stop putting the blame on everybody else, except Elvis. Unless of course you really believe he had absolutely no idea how other stars were handled by their managers and the Hollywood system.

And if higher box office stats is the only important thing to you, well, then Parker would have been proud of you. :smt023
If you look at Elvis's career he often did what he was provided with regardless of whether he personally liked it or not. When Colonel Parker set up press conferences Elvis did them and when Parker made deals for him to make tv appearances he did so. When Parker decided not to do any of those thing then Elvis didn't do those things. When did Elvis ever say I want to go to a movie premiere or I want to go on tv. He wasn't like that. Elvis was professional he probably would've went to his movie premieres if it was mandatory. It wasn't mandatory so he didn't go. He didn't care for those things but if he asked to go I think he would have. I wasn't calling Elvis a brainless dumb ass for that. I'm just pointing out that he was that way. Elvis was pretty uninvolved with his career he left those decisions up to other people. It was his choice to do that. I don't think that attending or not attending movie premiere's was all that important. I think it was a little thing. I don't think it was a huge thing. That is a valid point by me. Don't act so surprised by me pointing that out about Elvis. With all your years of being a die hard Elvis fan you must know he was like that.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Beautiful images thanks

Ivan

87 American lps for sale including lpm 1254

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224190338088

Iván

La voz del Rey

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Bob-Holland wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:05 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:46 pm
And any number of those theatres would have been ideal for a premiere event, with Elvis in attendance, if only he was willing to do such a thing, and if Tom Parker didn't expect remuneration at every turn. For some films, this could have been a major publicity event, as big premieres often are and certainly were back then.

The 'closest' Elvis ever came to attending any of the festivities surrounding the premiere of one of his movies, was on October 28, 1956, when the giant cutout was unveiled on top of the Paramount marquee and Elvis was actually in NYC because of his performance on the Sullivan Show.
I think he must have felt ashamed, uneasy at least, because of all the things Parker had organized to turn the unveiling into a media frenzy (Parker had invited over 40 Elvis fan clubs to the event, and he had outfitted these kids with free Elvis hats and other Elvis mechandise, while also handing them the signs that can be seen in all the pics from that day). I really believe that Elvis must have felt very uncomfortable with it all, since he knew that what appeared to be a teenage rebellion on the streets of Times Square, was actually very carefully staged by his manager. Parker got what he wanted: plenty of media attention. But at the same time, his fans were disappointed because they of course knew Elvis was in town and they expected him to show his face, but as we know, he stayed away from it all.

Elvis never attending any of the premiere festivities, in fact, never doing any personal promotion for his movies, well, I guess we can add this to the big heap of 'missed opportunities' during Parker's reign.
Elvis may have not attended premiere festivities... but he went in fact to a "Special Screening-Press Preview" of G.I.Blues with costar Juliet Prowse on September 12, 1960 at the Paramount Theatre in Hollywood.

In doing this he made some sort of promotion for the movie G.I.Blues! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.
HAL WALLIS' assistant, PAUL NATHAN, describes as a 'Howling Success'. Also present is gossip columnist HEDDER HOPPER and the films Choreographer CHARLIE O'Curran, with his wife PATTI PAGE.
Source: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/elvismomentsintime/g-i-blues-press-preview-event-12th-sept-1960-t1844.html

P.S: Around this time of the year Elvis looked fantastic 8).

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

brian

Post by brian »

In a way Colonel Parker was responsible for Elvis not promoting his movies more. You can look at it that way. I don't think if Elvis had gone to his movie premieres that it would've done anything positive for his career. I don't think it would have any impact on that. With that in mind I don't think it was a big deal that Elvis didn't attend any of them. If he went that was fine but it wasn't a big deal that he didn't go. I could take or leave that. I blame other people in Elvis's career because I know what Elvis was like. Yes. Elvis was partially to blame for not standing up to them and speaking out more but those people aren't blameless.

brian

Post by brian »

:roll:

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Didnt Juliet Prowse attend the premiere of GI Blues? Would have been nice if Elvis did that since it was his first movie post Army. I thought that was kinda strange.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Elvis was very much involved IMO with the promotion of the movie G.I.Blues, look at this movie promo with a personal appearance 8). This has been posted before on here, can´t remember he did it before or after this movie... :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

What a fabulous and knowledge-filled thread.

Thank you for sharing what you know, gents -- and those trailers are wonderful!

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

The Prince of Wales movie theater in Toronto on the Danforth near Woodbine sat 1250 people, and I saw many Elvis films there in the '60s.

Christopher Brown

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

In some way the visit on the set of the movie at Paramount Studio of the three Nordic Princesses (Denmark, Sweden & Norway) & the King Of Thailand and his wife, also helped promoting the movie G.I.Blues in those countries when they met Elvis! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Not just E , ive yet to see Nicholson on a talk show promoting a movie......maybe he did in the old days , i dunno

Ive heard thai king visited Golden Harvest during "Fist of Fury" filming