Jerry Lee Lewis has died

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Re: Jerry Lee Lewis has died

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Rest in peace, Killer. Not my type of guy, but definitely my type of music.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Although I've never been a fan, but I recognize his historical importance and the fact that, with his demise, the last chapter of the Million Dollar Quartet comes to an end. May he R.I.P.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Not my type of music at all.
Never played a song of his on my own and never will.
But RIP Jerry

Marc
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Marc »

Jimmy77 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:15 pm
RIP Killer.

Some can't imagine the fire and energy he can spread to the audience at live performances .

When i saw him in 1991, I was in trance, a total blast. He delivered so much energy and power that it was for me was unbelievable.

When the show was ending, i felt only 20 minutes were gone.

It's obvious that this night he was on fire. The 1964 performance of High School Confidential(4:30) you posted match exactly my souvenirs of that night.

3-4 years ago, i met the guy who organised the show i attended in Geneva, Switzerland (Feb 28th, 1991).

He told me it was quite rock n'roll to manage Jerry: strong character, unpredictable, but still nice guy.

The event was nearly to be cancelled due to flight/airport limitation.

But obviously, Jerry was eager to deliver a good show for the european fans and could not stand that something could be done wrong for his european appearences.
He probably was a bit annoyed about this airplane schedule problems and some of his anger/energy were pouring into the performances of this show.

And what a show!!!, He was in a warrior mood.....

enjoy your day

Mississippi slim
Registered for: 2 years

Post by Mississippi slim »

Marc wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:11 pm
Jimmy77 wrote:
RIP Killer.

Some can't imagine the fire and energy he can spread to the audience at live performances .

When i saw him in 1991, I was in trance, a total blast. He delivered so much energy and power that it was for me was unbelievable.

It's obvious that this night he was on fire. The 1964 performance of High School Confidential(4:30) you posted match exactly my souvenirs of that night.

3-4 years ago, i met the guy who organised the show i attended in Geneva, Switzerland (Feb 28th, 1991).

He told me it was quite rock n'roll to manage Jerry: strong character, unpredictable, but still nice guy.

But obviously, Jerry was eager to deliver a good show for the european fans and could not stand that something could be done wrong for his european appearences.
He probably was a bit annoyed about this airplane schedule problems and some of his anger/energy were pouring into the performances of this show.

Great story. Thanks.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Mississippi slim wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:01 am
Marc wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:11 pm
Jimmy77 wrote:
RIP Killer.

Great story. Thanks.
Do you recall where in Geneva did he play?

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by eligain »

I always liked this version of "Don't Be Cruel".

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by r&b »

eligain wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:44 am

He did a good job on that. I think his 3 best covers are What'd I Say, Money , and Little Queenie. They all rock. Check em out

DakotaKid
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by DakotaKid »

Rest In Peace, Jerry Lee.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

r&b wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:53 am
eligain wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:44 am

He did a good job on that. I think his 3 best covers are What'd I Say, Money , and Little Queenie. They all rock. Check em out
He takes the song at the same speed he had just heard Elvis do it, at the International in August of 1969. He tells the crowd about having just seen Elvis show, right before doing his fantasric cover of "Mystery Train" on that same day, at the Toronto Peace Festival on 12 September 1969.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

there is "The Piano Men" duet with Neil Sedaka, delightful stuff

Jerry Lee Lewis - 'Shindig!' (3rd Appearance) with Neil Sedaka (take me out to the ball game), 1 April, 1965

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

Nigel77 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:28 am
Jaime1234 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:14 am
Nigel77 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:55 am
Jaime1234 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:43 pm
Rocker wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:55 pm
If I had to name the purest musical genius of the twentieth century it would probably be The Killer. Rest in Peace, Jerry Lee!

That's fantastic for you to say, but kindly be aware that in the specific case of the late great Jerry Lee Lewis you would probably be in a minority. He is ranked #153 amongst MUSICIANS born in the 20th Century.

https://pantheon.world/explore/rankings?show=people&years=1901,2022&occupation=MUSICIAN

and #1,159 amongst all ARTISTS born in the same period.

https://pantheon.world/explore/rankings?show=people&years=1901,2022&occupation=SCULPTOR,ACTOR,SINGER,MUSICIAN,FILM%20DIRECTOR,PAINTER,COMPOSER,ARCHITECT,COMIC%20ARTIST,PHOTOGRAPHER,CONDUCTOR,COMEDIAN,DESIGNER,ARTIST,DANCER,GAME%20DESIGNER,FASHION%20DESIGNER
That is one unusual list. Where is Elvis?
It's on the second link, as he is a SINGER and the only way everyone can be ranked in the same table, is by going to the main profession, namely ARTISTS, which encompasses both SINGERS and MUSICIANS, as well as 14 other professiones related to art.

Elvis is, today, in 160 languages and more than 200 territories, via the huge Wiki, Twitter and Youtube platforms,

the #1 SINGER in history...................................
the #11 ARTIST of the 20th Century,.........................
the #18 RANKED PERSON born on US soil since 1776.............
the #37 ARTIST in history and this one, which should make all of us Elvis fans proud...........,

............................the #245 most celebrated person to have ever lived...
Yes I saw Elvis' other rankings. However, it still doesn't make sense that he's not in the Musicians category when artists like Dean Martin (#76) and Cliff Richard (#110), are.
I absolutely agree with you. I fact, Dean Martin was a SINGER, and Cliff Richard wrote some songs, with the Shadows, but he should have been included in the SINGER category as well.

Either that, or they should all have been INCLUDED in the MUSICIAN category.

Now, had Elvis AND EVERYONE ELSE related to MUSIC been included in the MUSICIAN category, for every one of them having been born in the 20th Century, that is from 1901 to 2001, his ranking as 11th ARTIST of the 20th Century would have been the same, as his HPI for 2022 is higher than anyone in the MUSIC world save for those MUSICIANS who already rank higher than Elvis, as ARTISTS, namely Freddy Mercury and Bob Marley, thus "making" him the #3 most celebrated MUSICIAN of the 20th Century, today, and worldwide.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

Lonely Summer wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:52 am
Jaime1234 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:43 pm
Rocker wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:55 pm
If I had to name the purest musical genius of the twentieth century it would probably be The Killer. Rest in Peace, Jerry Lee!

That's fantastic for you to say, but kindly be aware that in the specific case of the late great Jerry Lee Lewis you would probably be in a minority. He is ranked #153 amongst MUSICIANS born in the 20th Century.

https://pantheon.world/explore/rankings?show=people&years=1901,2022&occupation=MUSICIAN

and #1,159 amongst all ARTISTS born in the same period.

https://pantheon.world/explore/rankings?show=people&years=1901,2022&occupation=SCULPTOR,ACTOR,SINGER,MUSICIAN,FILM%20DIRECTOR,PAINTER,COMPOSER,ARCHITECT,COMIC%20ARTIST,PHOTOGRAPHER,CONDUCTOR,COMEDIAN,DESIGNER,ARTIST,DANCER,GAME%20DESIGNER,FASHION%20DESIGNER
Freddy Mercury above everyone? Above Elvis? John Lennon? Bob Dylan? Chuck Berry? I think we know what that list is worth.
I will try to explain it to you, since I was also shocked when he overtook Elvis in the HPI in 2018. OK, so with a movie about Queen and about his part in it grossing more than US$830 million globally, and garnering an additional US$61 million in domestic, US video sales, he entered the homes of millions in 200 countries and territories, and garnered the interest of countless millions speaking some 142 languages. That was what propelled his HPi from 80.1 to 87.01 in 2018, therefore passing Elvis, which last year scored an 83.18.

Now, please understand that what the list means is simply that worldwide, in 2022, there is considerably more interest in Freddy Mercury than there is on Bob Dylan, John Lennon, or Chuck Berry. The list also shows that Mercury has a slight advantage over Bob Marley, a current icon in 50 African and 15 Caribbean countries and he then has a slight advantage on Presley, As Mercury's 87 is only 4 points higher than Elvis, I am sure the gap between the two will be reduced by year's end and we may have Elvis back on top in 2023.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

cs2003 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:26 am
I saw him in 1998 Wembley Arena and 2000 London Arena both good shows "Legends of Rock n Roll tour" with Chuck Berry and Little Richard.
Just been tonight to a Bob Dylan concert in Nottingham and he played I Can't Seem To Say Goodbye as a tribute, really good show.
Yes I saw those 3, I think in 98/99 approximately, in Concord, CA. James Burton played guitar for Jerry.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

So, who is there left now, from the american 1950's original Rock music (aka. Rock 'n' Roll) era?
Lewis was the last of the pioneers and all are physically dead now.
But we celebrate their legacies, they left.

Two i can think of would be Duane Eddy and Wanda Jackson.

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 5 months

Post by Lee Wood »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:09 am
So, who is there left now, from the american 1950's original Rock music (aka. Rock 'n' Roll) era?

Dion.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

I saw a double bill with Little Richard followed by jerry Lee Lewis around summer 1995 or 1996. An Arena show with between 8,000-10,000. MC’d by Hall of Fame DJ/promoter Red Robinson.

Little Richard came out did about 45 minutes of one of the hardest driving rocking shows I’d ever seen, he blew the roof off. But, the last 15 mins he went on and on pretending to leave, to be exhausted, a la James Brown. If he’d exited after the 45 mins it’d have been great, he hurt his show with that last 15 mins of crap.

After intermission jerry Lee came out with James Burton on guitar. Man it could have been great but Jerry was drunk, completely wasted. Over about a half hour he didn’t complete one song. You could see people from backstage trying to get him off the stage. I was so looking forward to him and was utterly disappointed. Such a shame. Never really forgave him for showing such disrespect for me.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Swedish
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Swedish »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:

The Crickets (2 member still alive?), Paul Anka, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Pat Boone, Neil Sedaka, Connie Francis

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

Swedish wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:59 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:

The Crickets (2 member still alive?), Paul Anka, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Pat Boone, Neil Sedaka, Connie Francis
For me they are not the same level like Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl, Chuck, Fats, Richard, Johnny, Holly or even Bill Haley.
They did put the Rock`n`Roll into my and many others life. All of them had their own great style.
For me this kind of genartion come now to an end with Jerry Lee Lewis.
Sure there are still great performers outside, even some minor names when it comes to million seller hits.
We have the same with the great Country music stars. Many of my heros had gone.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:51 pm
Swedish wrote:
Walter Hale 4 wrote:

For me they are not the same level like Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl, Chuck, Fats, Richard, Johnny, Holly or even Bill Haley.
They did put the Rock`n`Roll into my and many others life. All of them had their own great style.
Sure there are still great performers outside, even some minor names when it comes to million seller hits.
Sedaka is now the best of those that remain, and has never been inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame, which is ridiculous, especially for one of the greatest songwriters of the second half of the twentieth century.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

pmp wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:03 pm
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:51 pm
Swedish wrote:
Walter Hale 4 wrote:

Sedaka is now the best of those that remain, and has never been inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame, which is ridiculous, especially for one of the greatest songwriters of the second half of the twentieth century.
Yes, he should be in there!

stari062

Post by stari062 »

Rest in Peace Jerry!

What a terrible "move" by ELVISMATTERS to bring the news about his death, and include the link where to buy (At Elvis matters of course!) MDQ cds and vinyl.
http://www.elvismatters.com/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=20276

I think it is a "non done" action.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Big fan of his late 60s country records.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Great performance here and interview in between! In particular where Lewis talked about his 1968 crossover to country music and how/why it all came about. He adds that he, Elvis, Chuck Berry was struggling to get enough airplay in the sixties and Elvis was sounding like Sinatra with his MOR's offerings.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:Great performance here and interview in between! In particular where Lewis talked about his 1968 crossover to country music and how/why it all came about. He adds that he, Elvis, Chuck Berry was struggling to get enough airplay in the sixties and Elvis was sounding like Sinatra with his MOR's offerings.

1972, isn’t this around the time he damaged the gates at Graceland? Drunk and driving his Cadillac?

Always Elvis
Anthony