Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

bye to all elvis all the time: from Wallingford Broadcasting

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 am

http://www.wlfxfm.com/

To Our Faithful Worldwide Elvis Loving Listeners

“What a Wonderful Group You Are”

We have be notified by our Legal Department that we may be in violation with one
or more provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The DMCA is a U. S. law,
passed in 1998 which regulates many aspects of the Internet activity. It was
established, presumably, to protect the copyrighted material of artists, scientists,
writers, etc. Part of this act establishes that the recording industry would have a right
to collect royalties for their performers based on Internet “airplay.” It also appears to
limit the number of times an hour that one recording artist's songs can be streamed.

We are in the process of determining if we are indeed in violation and if so,
working out an agreement with the affected parties (Sony / RCA Records, Elvis
Presley Enterprises, RIAA and others) in order to continue our Elvis Station
streaming.

We join with you in believing that Elvis was The King of Rock n Roll and at least
one Internet site should be allowed to stream his infinite music.

Wallingford Broadcasting

Re: bye to all elvis all the time: from Wallingford Broadcasting

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:24 am

Yet another reason to dislike Slick Sillerman.

T

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 am

What a shame.

"Unchain My Heart...and set me free" or however the song went...

Another strong argument for the expansion of "Public Domain" across the board.

I am glad that as of this post, their humble transmitter is still cranking out some great Elvis music.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 am

I knew it was to good to be true!!!! :cry:

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Hmm, sad news, I wonder why Sirius can play Elvis all the time if Wallingford can`t? What`s the difference :?

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Sirius pays it's obligations like every other radio station

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Sirius pays it's obligations like every other radio station

Yes but don`t you think that Wallingford are paying royalties like any other radio station too?

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 am

EXACTLY. These mom and pop internet stations that have sprouted forth are playing music for which they are not compensating the artists, producers, publishers, etc. No different than bootlegging.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 am

Well it's free advertising and they should let it go at that.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:42 am

elvisjock wrote:

EXACTLY. These mom and pop internet stations that have sprouted forth are playing music for which they are not compensating the artists, producers, publishers, etc. No different than bootlegging.

And how horrible that is...with a man who hasn't recorded since 1977. :lol: With all due respect, 'Jock , do you own none of the fabulous Elvis imports (that is, bootlegs) that have for so long inspired this site?

When you factor in the public doman aspect (or rather the rationale that inspires it) - in that Elvis' recordings have made money for the original artist and his immediate family and band mates many times over, I really wonder what the big deal is ---from a pure fan / listener perspective anyway. Sure, radio stations that jump through the hoops might find it unfair as well as frurstrated members of the Joe Guercio Orchestra who in 2010 might still hang on everything they did before 1977.

Supposedly these are "our" airwaves but they're so corporatized in the U.S. since that '90s Clinton-era move with the FCC that I really can't cry too hard about the royalties in 2010.

If anything, playing his music like this is the only way to spur there to be new fans. As someone who long worked in community and university radio, I'm all for free formats rather than tightly-regulated, market and copyright-driven formats. By comparison, those few remaining "mom and pop" stations (a rarity in 2010, sadly) might as well be a corporate giant like Sirius/ XM.

By and large (with a huge exception to your own terrific show), American radio is so broken now that such a radical "we'll play what we want" ethos could be the only thing to save it from the influx of incestuously listener-derived I-Pod "shuffle" playlists. Surely there are scores of kids (and adults) today who never touch a radio dial. Why bother? All of it too often is so programmed and with no risks, with just a few exceptions.

At this point, it's hard to cry over anyone "not having made money from Elvis' music" the way you could argue with a lot of more obscure genres of music who incidentally in their own ways are as talented and devoted to music in their own respective ways as even Elvis was to the faithful.

Without over thinking it, it's been a sheer joy to hear a station that just spins Elvis' music. The city of Memphis should have such a thing.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

And how horrible that is...with a man who hasn't recorded since 1977. :lol: With all due respect, 'Jock , do you own none of the fabulous Elvis imports (that is, bootlegs) that have for so long inspired this site?

When you factor in the public doman aspect (or rather the rationale that inspires it) - in that Elvis' recordings have made money for the original artist and his immediate family and band mates many times over, I really wonder what the big deal is ---from a pure fan / listener perspective anyway. Sure, radio stations that jump through the hoops might find it unfair as well as frurstrated members of the Joe Guercio Orchestra who in 2010 might still hang on everything they did before 1977.

Supposedly these are "our" airwaves but they're so corporatized in the U.S. since that '90s Clinton-era move with the FCC that I really can't cry too hard about the royalties in 2010.

If anything, playing his music like this is the only way to spur there to be new fans. As someone who long worked in community and university radio, I'm all for free formats rather than tightly-regulated, market and copyright-driven formats. By comparison, those few remaining "mom and pop" stations (a rarity in 2010, sadly) might as well be a corporate giant like Sirius/ XM.

By and large (with a huge exception to your own terrific show), American radio is so broken now that such a radical "we'll play what we want" ethos could be the only thing to save it from the influx of incestuously listener-derived I-Pod "shuffle" playlists. Surely there are scores of kids (and adults) today who never touch a radio dial. Why bother? All of it too often is so programmed and with no risks, with just a few exceptions.

At this point, it's hard to cry over anyone "not having made money from Elvis' music" the way you could argue with a lot of more obscure genres of music who incidentally in their own ways are as talented and devoted to music in their own respective ways as even Elvis was to the faithful.

Without over thinking it, it's been a sheer joy to hear a station that just spins Elvis' music. The city of Memphis should have such a thing.

If I publicized a website that existed solely to sell Elvis bootlegs, I'd get sued and shut down. The same thing will ultimately happen to these underground radio stations.

It's wrong to arbitrarily proclaim that after a certain number of years an artist loses ownership of his/her works.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 pm

yacl wrote:http://www.wlfxfm.com/

We have be notified by our Legal Department that we may be in violation with one
or more provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The DMCA is a U. S. law,
established, presumably, to protect the copyrighted material of artists, scientists,
writers, etc. Part of this act establishes that the recording industry would have a right
to collect royalties for their performers based on Internet “airplay.” It also appears to
limit the number of times an hour that one recording artist's songs can be streamed.

streaming.

We join with you in believing that Elvis was The King of Rock n Roll and at least

Wallingford Broadcasting

That's a very sad story. If EPE had their wits about them they would see it as a benefit to them.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:33 am

Jay- We don't arbitrarily proclaim a work is in the public domain. It's been pretty much accepted since copyright laws came into existence that it is to the public benefit to have those works in the public domain after a certain amount of time. With much lucrative products like drugs the time limits are much shorter. If we had always had the same copyright restrictions we have today, we would just now be seeing the first stories to feature Sherlock Holmes and Dracula not written by Arthur Conan Doyle or Bram Stoker. If setting the fair time limit seems arbitrary is it not also arbitrary to state that the heir of so and so who had no part in the creation of the work, should benefit from all future uses of that work.

It's important to note though that the family and artist thing sentimentalizes the issue. Most often, the artists and their descendants don't have a stake in their orginal recordings. This is the case for most of Elvis' recordings.

The copyright laws as they exist in the US are extremely democratic and keep access to the music in a few privileged hands, most of whom had nothing to do with its creation.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:10 am

Little Darlin wrote:
yacl wrote:http://www.wlfxfm.com/

streaming.

Wallingford Broadcasting

That's a very sad story. If EPE had their wits about them they would see it as a benefit to them.

I agree with you LD, I`m sure Elvis just lost a great number of possible new coming fans........Oh my, it is just too sad to think that is has to be this way :( Rather crazy if you ask me(But no one does, I know :mrgreen: )

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 am

It makes no sense.
I mean,its not like Elvis' recordings are by some hot new artist-this radio station could make as much money playing Rap or whatever else is popular,but they wanted to play Elvis,and there was more than likely an audience for it.
If I were a recording artist(and of course Im not) I would be honored and thrilled that a radio station wanted to play ONLY my music.
Have I missed something?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:44 am

Lisa might as well stand on Beale handing out dollar notes!

How would most of you like your income cut---so a radio station can save money.

Publishing and Graceland trinkets are income to Lisa

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:04 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Lisa might as well stand on Beale handing out dollar notes!

Kiwi-I enjoy your posts,and I look for them when I log on,but please tell me,how is this cutting into Lisa Maries income?
In fact,like all radio stations,I would assume that this one has to pay like all others,whta Ascap and BMI?They were getting what amounts to free advertising,whats the problem?
The more the music is heard,the more likely the music will be purchased,IMO.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 am

jbnva58 wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Lisa might as well stand on Beale handing out dollar notes!

Kiwi-I enjoy your posts,and I look for them when I log on,but please tell me,how is this cutting into Lisa Maries income?
In fact,like all radio stations,I would assume that this one has to pay like all others,whta Ascap and BMI?They were getting what amounts to free advertising,whats the problem?
The more the music is heard,the more likely the music will be purchased,IMO.

You miss the point----this radio station is not paying it's royalties and some board members think that is ok.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 am

Okay,what royalties?Has something not been revealed to me?
Any FCC licenced radio stsation in the US pays royalties,BMI and ASCAP,as far as I know.
The last I heard,they base the payments on the number of spins-if this station was exempt somehow,please explain.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:48 am

jbnva58 wrote:Okay,what royalties?Has something not been revealed to me?
Any FCC licenced radio stsation in the US pays royalties,BMI and ASCAP,as far as I know.
The last I heard,they base the payments on the number of spins-if this station was exempt somehow,please explain.

This is not paying royalties - thats why they threatened with legal action and will be closed down - if not already!

Instead of whining - all they need to do is pay up.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 am

Well, OK,I dont understand the ins and outs concerning broadcasting and royaltie payments.I concede the argument.
Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:50 pm

likethebike wrote:Jay- We don't arbitrarily proclaim a work is in the public domain. It's been pretty much accepted since copyright laws came into existence that it is to the public benefit to have those works in the public domain after a certain amount of time. With much lucrative products like drugs the time limits are much shorter. If we had always had the same copyright restrictions we have today, we would just now be seeing the first stories to feature Sherlock Holmes and Dracula not written by Arthur Conan Doyle or Bram Stoker. If setting the fair time limit seems arbitrary is it not also arbitrary to state that the heir of so and so who had no part in the creation of the work, should benefit from all future uses of that work.

It's important to note though that the family and artist thing sentimentalizes the issue. Most often, the artists and their descendants don't have a stake in their orginal recordings. This is the case for most of Elvis' recordings.

The copyright laws as they exist in the US are extremely democratic and keep access to the music in a few privileged hands, most of whom had nothing to do with its creation.

Well said, as is so often the case, LTB.

EPE currently has designs on "Elvis.Inc." so no doubt the station runs afoul in some way of some aspect of that digital law the station posted before closing.

That said, as you and I have pointed out, the legal concept of public domain (literally hundreds of years old) places a cap on how long a family can profit from the work of an artist. To my mind, "the Presley's" have been paid many times over and are in fact meeting that point in history. Now go out there and hump it for a living of your own already. :lol: