Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
administrator
Site Admin
Registered for: 54 years 4 months

Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Post by administrator »

Hi there,

Someone mentioned to me through e-mail some FTDs ( mostly 2006 releases ) may have problems that appears on their surface ( some kind of mist blur ). The following would be most likely a possible problem :

Digipack

Southern Nights
Made In Memphis
Let Yourself Go
I Found My Thrill

Classic albums

Loving You
Clambake

I just checked out mine. '' Southern Nights '' , '' Made In Memphis '' and '' Let Yourself Go '' all have some mist blur appearing on them. '' I Found My Thrill '' is a disaster, a lot of it and even looks like there's ice crystals forming all over it. I can play the CD but there's several skips already on it . I'm playing it now and have problems on all the first 7 tracks. It looks like the whole CD will be good for garbage.

If you check yours I'll be curious to find out what's happening with other copies all over the world.

Take care,

The Administrator

P.S. My CD almost skipped completely '' Sweet Caroline '' and having a hard time to keep playing. :shock:

memphisflash

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Post by memphisflash »

This problem also occurred with the 'There's Always Me' series, the glue is reacting with the plastic layer of the CD. I solved the problem by turning the CD around, label facing down. The 'blur' disappeared over a few month's. Don't trow them away just yet ;-)

Rich_TCB
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Rich_TCB »

Wow - that's scary.
memphisflash wrote:I solved the problem by turning the CD around, label facing down. The 'blur' disappeared over a few month's.
Thanks for that info - good to know.

I'll have to take a look at mine and see if they're ok.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Barry

Post by Barry »

administrator wrote:Hi there,

Someone mentioned to me through e-mail some FTDs ( mostly 2006 releases ) may have problems that appears on their surface ( some kind of mist blur ). The following would be most likely a possible problem :

Digipack

Southern Nights
Made In Memphis
Let Yourself Go
I Found My Thrill

Classic albums

Loving You
Clambake

I just checked out mine. '' Southern Nights '' , '' Made In Memphis '' and '' Let Yourself Go '' all have some mist blur appearing on them. '' I Found My Thrill '' is a disaster, a lot of it and even looks like there's ice crystals forming all over it. I can play the CD but there's several skips already on it . I'm playing it now and have problems on all the first 7 tracks. It looks like the whole CD will be good for garbage.

If you check yours I'll be curious to find out what's happening with other copies all over the world.

Take care,

The Administrator

P.S. My CD almost skipped completely '' Sweet Caroline '' and having a hard time to keep playing. :shock:
All good here.---No Problems.

hm80ep
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by hm80ep »

Have just checked mine. Southern Nights and Let Yourself Go do seem "foggy/misty" (the rest are okay). Took memphisflash's advice. Hope it'll work for me too.

Henryk

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Hey, I started a topic about this in 2007 but no one took me seriously back then! (What else is new.)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27202&start=0&hilit=pattern

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

Please store them inside your house?
Without further non funny comments.. I don't have any issues with my FTD collection..

Store 'em in a closed, dry environment against regular home temperatures.
Don't let the sun shine on the digipacks etc..

Contact FTD or even better, your dealer so they can discuss and handle potential claims.

Good luck.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Yes, it would appear that I am having some of these same issues w/ mine. On looks like smudges on "I Found My Thrill" but they are not smudges as they won't whipe off... but ... the worse one is my copy of "Let Yourself Go".... it looks pretty bad you can see the crystalization... forming..... sooo is there anything that can be done to save the disc? Should I just leave it out face up somewhere and hope that the glue sorts itself out???

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

All good here in sunny Australia.
A good reminder though to make a back-up copy just in case.

Cheers
Piers

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

JEFF d wrote:Yes, it would appear that I am having some of these same issues w/ mine. On looks like smudges on "I Found My Thrill" but they are not smudges as they won't whipe off... but ... the worse one is my copy of "Let Yourself Go".... it looks pretty bad you can see the crystalization... forming..... sooo is there anything that can be done to save the disc? Should I just leave it out face up somewhere and hope that the glue sorts itself out???

JEFF d
EP fan
I have the same problem as well on all discs referenced. My "Let Yourself Go" looks pretty bad. Perhaps someone can contact someone at Sony and/or FTD to find out any solutions.

Dixieland Rocks
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Dixieland Rocks »

Everything looks and sounds good here (for now).

Keith Richards, Jr.

Just to clarify, I too have a couple of FTDs that look very strange on the silver side. It's like a crazy pattern all over the doggone disc. It's not something you can wipe off. Also, I think this stuff was there when I got the CDs so it has nothing to do with how you store them. And it can be found on my "Tomorrow Is A Long TIme" CD too which doesn't come in a digipak. So I don't think it has anything to do with the glue.

The good news is all my CDs play perfectly. For now....

Maybe the admin has a different problem with his CDs.

Keith Richards, Jr.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

administrator wrote:Hi there,

Digipack

Southern Nights
Made In Memphis
Let Yourself Go
I Found My Thrill

Classic albums

Loving You
Clambake

Take care,

The Administrator

The only one i have that is foggy is 6363 sunset
all others are fine

-instagram kenh1964

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Marko »

If this is because of faulty manufacturing, FTD should replace the discs. CD's are meant to last longer than 4 years!

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Keith Richards, Jr.

It's part of the plan, Marko. They know we'll buy all those titles again when they release the non-foggy editions in the future. It's business! :P

Keith Richards, Jr.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

All seem fine here, but I may have to check the lot now!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

elbo51

Post by elbo51 »

This is very disconcerting. I'm gonna check mine later when I get home from work.

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

The only questionable one for me is Southern Nights.

I stored this flat. The others are upright, I'm not sure if this is the difference?

Geoff

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

Marko

Post by Marko »

I've been going through my cd's and flipping them over. I'm sorry to say but the problem is a lot bigger than initially posted. I noticed fog/mist on

- TTWII
- ROR
- Standing Room ONly
- Today
- Love Letters
- Elvis Country
- Elvis In Person
- Double Trouble
- Paradise Hawaiin Style
- Frankie & Johnny
- Girl Happy
- Fun In Acapulco
- It Happened At The Worlds Fair
- Pot Luck
- Something For Everybody
- His Hand In Mine
- Southern Nights
- Dixieland Rocks
- Too Much Monkey Business
- New Year's Eve
- Dinner At Eight
- Elvis At The International
- Nashville Marathon
- Polk Salad Annie
- One Night In Vegas
- An American Trilogy
- Closing Night
- It's Midnight
- Dragon Heart
- In A Private Moment
- Silver Screen Stereo
- Burbank 68

On most cd's it's not obvious but it's there when you look carefully (sometimes you need to look at the disc from a different angle). In most cases it's around the center. I think it's pretty safe to say that all FTD's are subject to his rot...

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

Marko wrote:I've been going through my cd's and flipping them over. I'm sorry to say but the problem is a lot bigger than initially posted. I noticed fog/mist on

On most cd's it's not obvious but it's there when you look carefully (sometimes you need to look at the disc from a different angle). In most cases it's around the center. I think it's pretty safe to say that all FTD's are subject to his rot...

It's not CD rot, it's a chemical reaction to the glue - that's probably why it centers around the middle ... I had the staining problem slightly with a few CD's, with the tip of my nail I checked if I could remove some of the stain, next I used a cleaning fluid and a soft cloth to remove it all - they are clean now .... Loving you had a stain on the edges, could clean it easily (I don't smoke and keep the digi-pack's sealed in Japanese mylar sleeves)

Keith Richards, Jr.

I said all this stuff three years ago! :P

But I think it's nothing to worry about. If you look on other Sony discs, you will notice the same foggy mist... I have "Crying" by Roy Orbison. A Sony/BMG CD from 2006 released in a jewel case. It has that same weird foggy mist on it. So it probably has nothing to do with the glue on the FTD releases, and will probably not affect play, although the admin seems unlucky with his "Found My Thrill" CD. All my FTDs play fine, and the Orbison CD too. Like I said before, my copy of "Tomorrow is a Long Time" -- a jewel case CD from 1998 -- also has a foggy mist on it. Still plays perfectly.

Keith Richards, Jr.

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by buddy holly »

I´ve seen it on;
-Loving You
-Made In Memphis
-Let Yourself Go
-Fame and Fortune
-Southern Nights

Not on I Found My Thrill

It didn't continue checking because I found it depressing. I've played Loving You and Let Yourself Go (partial) and heard no problems. I don't know what to think of this. I don't believe it's because of glue because I store Loving You in a jewel case from the first day I got it (in the week of its release). I've checked some non FTD cd's and didn't see it on any other Cd.

This really leaves me in doubt wether to continue buying FTD or not.
Last edited by buddy holly on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

Marko

Post by Marko »

FTD should give us some kind explanation what causes this and also instructions how to prevent the CD's turning into unplayable.

Dixieland Rocks
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Dixieland Rocks »

memphisflash wrote:
Marko wrote:I've been going through my cd's and flipping them over. I'm sorry to say but the problem is a lot bigger than initially posted. I noticed fog/mist on

It's not CD rot, it's a chemical reaction to the glue - that's probably why it centers around the middle ... I had the staining problem slightly with a few CD's, with the tip of my nail I checked if I could remove some of the stain, next I used a cleaning fluid and a soft cloth to remove it all - they are clean now .... Loving you had a stain on the edges, could clean it easily (I don't smoke and keep the digi-pack's sealed in Japanese mylar sleeves)
What kind of cleaning fluid and a soft cloth do you use?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

buddy holly wrote:I´ve seen it on;
-Loving You
-Made In Memphis
-Let Yourself Go
-Fame and Fortune

Not on I Found My Thrill

It didn't continue checking because I found it depressing. I've played Loving You and Let Yourself Go (partial) and heard no problems. I don't know what to think of this. I don't believe it's because of glue because I store Loving You in a jewel case from the first day I got it (in the week of its release). I've checked some non FTD cd's and didn't see it on any other Cd.

This really leaves me in doubt wether to continue buying FTD or not.
Yeah, all mine are currently playing fine. But I see the discoloration, mist, crystallization, blurring, etc. - whatever you want to call it on a handful of various titles now that I am checking. I'm not an expert on the subject to assert whether or not this is the beginning of some kind of CD rot. If it is -- and thousands of FTD consumers around the world are experiencing it on product less than 10 years old, this will most likely become a much larger situation where Sony will have to rectify the flawed product. It will be interesting to see where this goes.