Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Always On My Mind live?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 am

Did Elvis ever perform this song live on stage and if he did when?

Re: Always On My Mind live?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 am

No he didn't.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 am

No he did not. I wonder why he never done it on stage, it’s a good song
You can Always hop they include it in Elvis the Concert!!!

Take care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:32 pm

I don´t think that Elvis really believed in the songs capacity. It ended up as a single b-side. I think that AOMM is a better track than Separate ways.

//Björn

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 pm

dreambear wrote:I don´t think that Elvis really believed in the songs capacity. It ended up as a single b-side. I think that AOMM is a better track than Separate ways.

//Björn

Agreed, Bjorn.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Luckily we have the '72 rehearsal versions from 30th March '72, they come closest I guess to live versions as we'll ever get.

Hillcrest Blues - Standing Room Only Tapes vol. 3, recorded Thursday 30-3-72 RCA Studio C, Hollywood, CA.

Always On My Mind - Rehearsal
Always On My Mind - Take 1 (LFS)
Always On My Mind - Take 2 (FS)
Always On My Mind - Take 3 (Complete) / Talking

According to KF's site, according to the cd cover it is:

rehearsal + take 1 (incomplete), take 2.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm

it's prob due to the fact there is no ending on the song

it's a shame they didn't do it live it would of been a show stooper

how would you end the song ? maybe let Glen Hardin finish it ?

that's enough lol

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 pm

OnTourCam wrote:it's prob due to the fact there is no ending on the song

that's enough lol

Instead of continuing the song after the slow "You were always on my mind" in the end (you know, where the song starts to fade), Glen Hardin could play the piano part a bit and then finish it.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:48 pm

billyblues wrote:

that's enough lol

Instead of continuing the song after the slow "You were always on my mind" in the end (you know, where the song starts to fade), Glen Hardin could play the piano part a bit and then finish it.

Or just like they did with Suspicious minds, I´m leavin´ and My boy. Just do an ending.

//Björn

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Not really.

A "no ending" didn't stop him from doing "Burning Love" "Suspicious Minds" "Kentucky Rain" "Little Sister" "A Big Hunk O' Love" "I'm Leavin'"

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

AOMM is a great tune and it's just one of the many great songs that he never bothered to perform live for some reason.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Too bad he didn´t perform on stage, I love the song.

Lennart

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:19 pm

"You were always on myyy.. mind....."

BAM BAM BAMBAMBAMBAM BAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM.... :D

dreambear wrote:
billyblues wrote:

that's enough lol

Or just like they did with Suspicious minds, I´m leavin´ and My boy. Just do an ending.

//Björn

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 am

I wonder if fans really cared very much for "Always on my mInd" when he was alive.

It really only became better known some years after he died, thanks to versions by The Pet Shop Boys and Willie Nelson. It was hidden away a B side or an album cut. I think if it was talked about a lot or requested or played a lot on radio when he was alive, or if he liked it especially, he might have tried it on stage. It's not surprise to me that this one didn't win him over enough.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 am

I loved the song right from the first time I heard it, on the Separate Ways album in 1973. Liked it better of the two songs, wondered why it wasn't better known. Elvis had a lot of double sided hits, but this wasn't one of them. Would love to see more of the 'mock session" footage of Elvis doing this song and Separate Ways. Maybe on expanded EOT blu-ray in 2025.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 am

I've always wondered what was that "pssst" sound on the original master... sounded like a human voice, of course it isn't... but a strange sound anyways.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Elvis never did perform the song live on stage. However, and I am surprised none of you mentioned this, he did rehearse it during the 1972 June 8 rehearsal at Madison Square Garden but dropped it as it didn't fit what he was trying to do with those shows.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:58 pm

It belongs to my TOP 3..I just LOVE this song....my fave version is the string dubbed one from This Is Elvis.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Ciscoking wrote:It belongs to my TOP 3..I just LOVE this song....my fave version is the string dubbed one from This Is Elvis.

But wait, that version was dubbed AFTER Elvis died making it non oriiginal. But seriously man, I know what you mean. I love that version too.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Actually, we don't know absolutely with complete certainty that he didn't do this song live. Tho the general concensus is that he didn't, and more likely than not, he didn't...but, that being said, there are about 400 concerts we have no released record of, and if you track down when AOMM was first released by any artist, then you can cut the date down and the probability of Elvis having perform it onstage even further.

Yet, the truth is, we don't know for absolute certainty. Almost no one had any idea Elvis sang Danny Boy live until the FTD release a few years ago, and that was never released on audience recording, so until it was released, few...very few people even knew about it's existence. (No, I wasn't one of them). It was an almost complete surprise to the Elvis community. As a matter of fact, the first place on the net you could hear Danny Boy live from that concert was on Jordan's Elvis World. It was on the radio about an hour before on an all Elvis radio show, where it was recorded off the air and uploaded to his site. So kudos to Jordan and his excellent work that still continues to this day.

We are very fortunate we have audience recorded documentation of so many concerts...As I understand it, we have over 600 concerts, yet there is a gaping 400 concert hole where we don't know for certain what was performed...I'm sure there were a few rare live song performances that we still don't have or know about.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Always On My Mind, yes a great song that Elvis recorded...Never sung it Live...pitty...another missed chance to lift up his Live tracklist on stage...

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:27 am

The master of Always On My Mind has always been a favourite of mine. The original arrangement and the later overdubs (the lead guitar line that answers the vocal in places is sorely missed on the outtakes) actually produce quite a nuanced performance something that I'm sure would have been lost in a live arrangement leaving just another generic love song (see: You Dont Have To Say You Love Me, Until It's Time For You To Go and For The Good Times all live in 1972)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Its a great song, slightly upbeat from WILLIES more ballad version, infact if a duets cd is made this could be a contender for sure. Such a shame it wasnt sung live, also if he had lived longer i always thought WAY DOWN would have really rocked LIVE !!!!!!! ::rocks

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I watched a documentary recently in which Pricilla told how she had been at a concert some time after their divorce and in the middle of the concert Elvis stopped, turned to her and mouthed, "This is for you" and sung Always on my mind! So he definitely did sing it live, but unfortunately i have never come across a live concert recording :(

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Tigerman2001 wrote:Elvis never did perform the song live on stage. However, and I am surprised none of you mentioned this, he did rehearse it during the 1972 June 8 rehearsal at Madison Square Garden but dropped it as it didn't fit what he was trying to do with those shows.

That's because he couldn't perform it at the breakneck speed of the rest of the show! ;)