More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Roles turned down by Elvis

Post by EPA4368 »

Being There
The producer wanted Elvis but could not get him due to his manager.
Actor who got the part: Peter Sellars

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Elvis turned down the role of Brick.
Actor who got the part: Paul Newman

The Defiant Ones
Elvis sought the role of John 'Joker' Jackson.
Actor who got the part: Tony Curtis

The Godfather
Elvis Presley was a fan of Mario Puzo's novel and wanted to play the part of Tom Hagen.
Actor who got the part: Robert Duvall

Midnight Cowboy
Elvis was supposed to play the character that leaves his hometown to make it big in New York.
Actor who got the part: Jon Voight

The Rainmaker (1956)
Elvis said he was up for a role in an interview, even though the claim was later disputed.

A Star Is Born (1976)
Elvis turned down the role of John Norman Howard.
Actor who got the part: Kris Kristofferson

Sweet Bird of Youth
One of the many challenging roles turned down by Elvis' manager who didn't want his client to play a shady character, cheating Elvis of the chance to play Tennessee Williams' drifter and Hollywood hopeful "Chance Wayne."
Actor who got the part: Paul Newman

Thunder Road
Robert Mithcum tried to talk Elvis into a part. Colonel Parker vetoed due to salary.

Valley of The Dolls
Author Jacqueline Susann wanted Presley for the role of Tony Polar.
Actor who got the part: Tony Scotti

West Side Story
Elvis turned down the role of Bernardo. George Chakiris won an Oscar for the part.
Actor who got the part: George Chakiris

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Elvis Presley was considered for the lead role.
Actor who got the part: Gene Wilder

Your Cheatin' Heart
MGM thought about Elvis for the lead but Hank William's widow did not want to take away from Hank's legacy.
Actor who got the part: George Hamilton

http://www.notstarring.com/actors/presley-elvis

JaneTLC
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Roles turned down by Elvis

Post by JaneTLC »

I couldn't see Elvis as Bernardo in West Side Story: George Chakiris was a very well-trained dancer and had to do some very tough Jerome Robbins Choreography.
I could absolutely see Elvis in the lead part though (Tony).

Tigerman2001

Post by Tigerman2001 »

That list is depressing considering how many of those movies are considered classics today. Damn that Colonel.

TkoTzer
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by TkoTzer »

I don't see Elvis in that role at all for the Godfather. Secondary role that the colonel and elvis would never have been satisfied with for a return to the big screen. Maybe the roll of Sonny (james caan)

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Dan_T »

TkoTzer wrote:I don't see Elvis in that role at all for the Godfather. Secondary role that the colonel and elvis would never have been satisfied with for a return to the big screen. Maybe the roll of Sonny (james caan)
That was the role I had read as a kid that Elvis was considered for, not Robert Duvall's part.

Tigerman2001

Post by Tigerman2001 »

Elvis hated James Cann, Sheila Ryan's ex.

TkoTzer

Post by TkoTzer »

Dan_T....Don't get me wrong James Caan was great in the role but I can see Elvis taking any other role in that movie besides Sonny or Michael. He would have possibly made a good Sonny though. Sonny was a badass but I sorta feel like Elvis was too old for that role by then. Maybe 10 years younger and it would have been the perfect role.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by midnightx »

Tigerman2001 wrote:That list is depressing considering how many of those movies are considered classics today. Damn that Colonel.
You are assuming Elvis was offered all of those roles.

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by billyblues »

Willy Wonka? Seriously?

Someone tell me more about it.

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

brian
Registered for: 16 years

Post by brian »

I think it's untrue about Elvis being offered Being There, Sweet Bird of youth, The Godfather, Cat on a hot tin roof and Willy Wonka.
It may even be untrue about Elvis being offered the Defiant ones as i believe that film was shot while he was in the army.

I believe notstarring.com is like Wikipedia and IMDB.com where anybody can contribute any information they wish.

For one thing Being there was made two years after he died.

IIRC the stories of Elvis being offered these particular roles originated on the internet through sites like Wikipedia and IMBD.
The only place i've read of Elvis being offered Willa Wonka is on his IMDB bio page and The Godfather story seems to have originated from wikipedia.

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by KiwiAlan »

midnightx wrote:
Tigerman2001 wrote:That list is depressing considering how many of those movies are considered classics today. Damn that Colonel.
Does seem rather unbelievable :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by eligain »

TkoTzer wrote:Dan_T....Don't get me wrong James Caan was great in the role but I can see Elvis taking any other role in that movie besides Sonny or Michael. He would have possibly made a good Sonny though. Sonny was a badass but I sorta feel like Elvis was too old for that role by then. Maybe 10 years younger and it would have been the perfect role.
Elvis would not have worked for the role of Sonny. He would have never been able to convincingly play an Italian American like Caan did. I'm Italian and Caan captured how Italians act and talk perfectly. He looked and acted like my Dad and reminded many Italians of certain relatives and friends. Caan who is Jewish was able to play the part so well because he grew up with Italians and had many as his friends including actual people in the mob. As good as I think an actor Elvis could have become, he would have never been right for this part because he just didn't have the life experience to draw from.

TkoTzer

Post by TkoTzer »

eligain,

I never said that he could top James Caan. I'm just saying that is the only role I could possibly see him playing in that film. Nothing else even came close to fitting him (and I'm not sure that Sonny was even a remote fit).

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

It is weird when you think about it.

Elvis was offered the lead roles in the following films.

Harum Scarem
Paradise Hawaiian style
Easy come easy go
Double trouble
Stay away joe
and a few others.

And he was lucky enough to land those roles and the colonel enabled him to do so.
It's strange how things turned out.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

ekenee wrote:It is weird when you think about it.

Elvis was offered the lead roles in the following films.

Harum Scarem
Paradise Hawaiian style
Easy come easy go
Double trouble
Stay away joe
and a few others.

And he was lucky enough to land those roles and the colonel enabled him to do so.
It's strange how things turned out.
Paul Newman wanted these roles but the canny Colonel won the days.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by rickeap »

I can't see Elvis playing the Caan role in Godfather, though I wish he had been given the chance along the way to develop his acting.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years

Post by minkahed »

midnightx wrote:
I noticed that too.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Some interesting films & roles there, guys !

The film studios didn't sign Elvis to make him a 'film star' in the accepted sense, and that wasn't Parker's goal, either.

They simply saw him as a wildly popular, novelty, short-term, box-office draw for the younger film goer.

The really meaty roles were always going to go to the established stars.

And, early on, when a couple of his more serious roles proved less popular than the musicals, his fate was sealed.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Jove »

EPA4368, some of those films on your list are dubious. First Time I read it here on this thread.
But I have read that Elia Kazan wanted Elvis for "Walk On The Wild Side."

Scratch me now a little lower

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

I've never, ever seen these movies (some of them) as being offered to Elvis. Here, according to "Elvis: His Life From A To Z" (yes, I know the book is badly outdated and in need of a major overhaul/update) that were supposedly offered to Elvis - and all the roles were turned down by either Parker or Elvis - so, IMO, Parker isn't to blame for the failure of Elvis's movie career:

The Rainmaker (1956):
Part of Elvis's screen test for Hal B. Wallis was a scene from the unproduced Paramount film. Elvis played the role of Jimmy Curry in the test. In an interview he erroneously said that "The Rainmaker" was going to be his movie debut. When the film was eventually made, Burt Lancaster and Katharine Hepburn played the lead roles. The role of Jimmy Curry went to Earl Holliman. Yvonne Lim played Curry's girlfriend. Snooky McGuire. Lime, of course, later appeared with Elvis on the screen.

The Girl Can't Help It (1956):
Little Richard recorded the title song to this film on Specialty Records(specialty 591). The Girl Can't Help It" was the first rock & roll movie to be filmed in color. In addition to Little Richard, the the musical stars included Fats Domino, Julie London, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, The Platters, and Ray Anthony.

Actors Tom Ewell, Jayne Mansfield, and Edmond O'Brien headed the cast. Twentieth Century-Fox wanted Elvis for the the film but when Colonel Parker asked for $50,000.00 for Elvis to sing just one song, Fox felt it could do quite well without him.

The Way To The Gold (1957):
In late November, 1956, Twentieth Century-Fox , based on the response to the just released, Love Me Tender, offered Elvis $150,000.00 against 50 percent of the profits to star in "The Way To The Gold". The start-up date was set for December 17, 1956, and Fox was willing to give Elvis ten days off for Christmas if he'd do the film. Colonel Parker wanted $250,000.00 against 50% of the profits. Fox declined the counteroffer and the film was eventually made with Jeffrey Hunter, Sheree North and Neville Brand.

The Singing Idol (1957):
NBC-TV's "Kraft Television Theatre" broadcast this play on January 30, 1957, with Tommy Sands playing an Elvis-type character named Ewell Walker. Sands sang, "Hep Dee Hootie" and "Teen-Age Crush," which went on to become a milion-selling record. "The Singing Idol was later made into the 1958 movie, "Sing, Boy, Sing!" also starring Tommy Sands. Elvis was originally asked to play the lead in "The Singing Idol", but turned it down. Since the play was telecast in color, it would have been Elvis's first color TV appearance.

The James Dean Story (1957):
Directed by George W. George and Robert Altman and narrated by Martin Gabel, "The James Dean STory" was a documentary that used readily available film footage of the late movie star. The film was originally to have been a biography with Elvis wanting desperately to play Dean. However, Warner Bros. decided to make a documentary instead.

The Love Maniac (1957):
Elvis and JAyne Mansfield were wanted by Twentieth Century-Fox for this project. However, "The Love Maniac", which was to have been a comedy, was never made.

The Calliope Trail (1957):
It's not known whether "The Callipe Trail was the working title of a film later made by a studio or a proposed project that was never filmed. In any case, Elvis was under consideration to star in it.

The Defiant Ones (1958):
Reportedly, Elvis was first offered the role of John (Joker) Jackson in this Stanley Kramer-directed film. Tony Curtis, one of Elvis's favorite actors, was given the role. "The Defiant Ones", which won an Oscar for Best Screenplay, was the last screen appearance of "Our Gang's" Carl (Alfalfa) Switzer.

Thunder Road (1958):
Perhaps the definitive film on moonshining, "Thunder Road" starred Robert Michum, Gene Barry and Mitchum's son, James, as the brother of Mitchum's character, in his debut. The film's theme song, "The Ballad Of Thunder Road" (Capitol 3986), was composed and recorded by Robert Mitchum. It reached # 62 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. The lead role in"Thunder Road" was first offered to Elvis by mitchum, himself, according to some reports (Lamar Fike actually verifies this in "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia"). Still other accounts have Elvis being offered a supporting role.

EDIT: Being that Lamar was there when Elvis was offered the role when Mitchum knocked on Elvis's motel room door and asked Elvis to play the part, I tend to go along with what Lamar says here.

West Side Story (1961):
United Artists and producer Robert Wise reportedly wanted Elvis, Paul Anka, Fanian, Bobby Darin, and Frankie Avallon to play members of the two gangs, the Jes and the Sharks, in West Side Story. One can only imagine what a lead role in the Best Picture of 1961 would have done for Elvis's acting career.

Too Late Blues (1962):
Bobby Darin starred in this John Cassavetes-directed film as a jazz musician in love with a selfish girl, played by Stella Stevens. The lead role of John Wakefield was first offered to Elvis.

Sweet Bird Of Youth (1962):
Elvis was offered the lead role of Chance Wayne in "Sweet Bird Of Youth," which was based on the Tennessee Williams play. But, because Elvis would've been playing a "bad guy," Colonel Parker turned down the offer, allowing Paul Newman to win the part. Ed Begley won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Boss Finley.

Bye Bye Birdie ((1963):
Jesse Pearson had the title role of Conrad Birdie, an Elvis-like rock & roll idol. Also starring in Bye Bye Birdie were Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke and Ann-Margret. Elvis was requested to sing two songs in the film, but Colonel Parker vetoed the idea. Bye Bye Birdie was based on the highly successful Broadway play of 1960.

Your Cheatin' Heart (1964):
George Hamilton played country singing legend Hank Williams in this biography of the late singer. Williams's son, Hank Williams, Jr., recorded the soundtrack for the film. Elvis was under consideration for the lead role, but Williams's widow, Audrey, was afraid that Elvis, other than her late husband, would become the focal point of "Your Cheatin' Heart".

Sidenote: Audrey wasn't Hank's widow at the time of his death, from what I've read - sound familiar anyone? Hank had reportedly secretly married a woman named Billie Jo Elishmar (or Elishman) shortly before his tragic/untimely passing on January 1, 1953.

The Fastest Guitar Alive (1968):
Elvis was asked to star in "The Fastest Guitar Alive", but Colonel Parker (once again!) said, "No!". Instead, Roy Orbison and Sammy Jackson starred in the film, which was about Confederate spies.

Midnight Cowboy (1969):
Midnight Cowboy is th only X-rated movie to ever win an Oscar for Best Picture. The rating, however, was later reduced to R. The role of Joe Buck, played by Jon Voight, was first offered to Elvis. One can only imagine how Elvis's fans would've responded to him playing a seedy character in an X-rated film. Bob Dylan originally composed "Lay Lady Lay" for Midnight Cowboy, but Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talking" was chosen instead.

The New Gladiators (1974):
Produced by George Waite, "The New Gladiators was a karate documentary that was never completed. Elvis provided the financial backing for the film and was it's narrator.

Ciao Rudy (1975):
On July 17, 1975, columnist Maggie Daly announced that Elvis was slated to portray silent-screen great Rudolph Valentino in a Broadway play to be titled, "Ciao, Rudy!". A movie version of the play was supposedly also in the works. For his efforts, Elvis was to have received $2.5 million dollars.

A Star Is Born (1976):
"A Star Is Born" has been filmed on four occasions: "What Price, Hollywood? (1932), with Constance Bennett and Neil Hamilton; "A Star Is Born" (1937), with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March; & "A Star Is Born" (1976), with Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. It was in this last version that Barbra Streisand wanted to costar with Elvis in what may have been his finest screen role to date. But an agreement couldn't be reached with Colonel Parker, who wanted one million dollars plus top billing for Elvis, rather than to settle for a percentage of the movie's gross. Kenny Loggins also turned down the male role.

The original inspiration for the screenplay for "What Price, Hollywood?" was the marriage of actor John McCormick and starlet Colleen Moore.

Billy Easter (1977):
At the time of Elvis's death, a screenplay for "Billy Easter" was in preparation. It was to have been financed by Elvis and would have been a non-singing role.

The King Of Rock & Roll (1979):
It was rumored in 1979 that Sol Swimmer, Pete Bennett, and Bill Cash were going to produce"The King Of Rock 'n' Roll" with a screenplay written by George Klein. To date, the $10 million-dollar project has remained un-produced. Reportedly, considered for the role of Elvis were John Travolta, Lee Majors, Kris Kristofferson, and Warren Beatty. Van Johnson was offered the role of Vernon Presley
Last edited by Tony Trout on Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Tony, thanks for the transcription from this marvelous book!

I was so p***ed when I first watched "A Star Is Born" and thought: my goodness, that would've been a good role for Elvis. But back then I didn't dig Kris too much and thought his singing was downright awful.

Love him today, though. As time goes by...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Josee

Post by Josee »

I remember reading back then in movie magazines that Elvis was also offered a role in "The Longest Day", but Parker refused because he wanted Elvis to be top of the bill. I guess he would have played the character played by Paul Anka, Fabian or Tommy Sands.

Jovan
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Jovan »

Tony Trout wrote:
(...)

Billy Easter (1977):
At the time of Elvis's death, a screenplay for "Billy Easter" was in preparation. It was to have been financed by Elvis and would have been a non-singing role.
(..)
What's the story about this planned movie? It's written here as if it were a movie produced for and by Elvis... anyone?

brian

Post by brian »

Tony Trout wrote:I've never, ever seen these movies (some of them) as being offered to Elvis. Here, according to "Elvis: His Life From A To Z" (yes, I know the book is badly outdated and in need of a major overhaul/update) that were supposedly offered to Elvis - and all the roles were turned down by either Parker or Elvis - so, IMO, Parker isn't to blame for the failure of Elvis's movie career:

The Rainmaker (1956):
Part of Elvis's screen test for Hal B. Wallis was a scene from the unproduced Paramount film. Elvis played the role of Jimmy Curry in the test. In an interview he erroneously said that "The Rainmaker" was going to be his movie debut. When the film was eventually made, Burt Lancaster and Katharine Hepburn played the lead roles. The role of Jimmy Curry went to Earl Holliman. Yvonne Lim played Curry's girlfriend. Snooky McGuire. Lime, of course, later appeared with Elvis on the screen.

The Girl Can't Help It (1956):
Little Richard recorded the title song to this film on Specialty Records(specialty 591). The Girl Can't Help It" was the first rock & roll movie to be filmed in color. In addition to Little Richard, the the musical stars included Fats Domino, Julie London, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, The Platters, and Ray Anthony.

Actors Tom Ewell, Jayne Mansfield, and Edmond O'Brien headed the cast. Twentieth Century-Fox wanted Elvis for the the film but when Colonel Parker asked for $50,000.00 for Elvis to sing just one song, Fox felt it could do quite well without him.

The Way To The Gold (1957):
In late November, 1956, Twentieth Century-Fox , based on the response to the just released, Love Me Tender, offered Elvis $150,000.00 against 50 percent of the profits to star in "The Way To The Gold". The start-up date was set for December 17, 1956, and Fox was willing to give Elvis ten days off for Christmas if he'd do the film. Colonel Parker wanted $250,000.00 against 50% of the profits. Fox declined the counteroffer and the film was eventually made with Jeffrey Hunter, Sheree North and Neville Brand.

The Singing Idol (1957):
NBC-TV's "Kraft Television Theatre" broadcast this play on January 30, 1957, with Tommy Sands playing an Elvis-type character named Ewell Walker. Sands sang, "Hep Dee Hootie" and "Teen-Age Crush," which went on to become a milion-selling record. "The Singing Idol was later made into the 1958 movie, "Sing, Boy, Sing!" also starring Tommy Sands. Elvis was originally asked to play the lead in "The Singing Idol", but turned it down. Since the play was telecast in color, it would have been Elvis's first color TV appearance.

The James Dean Story (1957):
Directed by George W. George and Robert Altman and narrated by Martin Gabel, "The James Dean STory" was a documentary that used readily available film footage of the late movie star. The film was originally to have been a biography with Elvis wanting desperately to play Dean. However, Warner Bros. decided to make a documentary instead.

The Love Maniac (1957):
Elvis and JAyne Mansfield were wanted by Twentieth Century-Fox for this project. However, "The Love Maniac", which was to have been a comedy, was never made.

The Calliope Trail (1957):
It's not known whether "The Callipe Trail was the working title of a film later made by a studio or a proposed project that was never filmed. In any case, Elvis was under consideration to star in it.

The Defiant Ones (1958):
Reportedly, Elvis was first offered the role of John (Joker) Jackson in this Stanley Kramer-directed film. Tony Curtis, one of Elvis's favorite actors, was given the role. "The Defiant Ones", which won an Oscar for Best Screenplay, was the last screen appearance of "Our Gang's" Carl (Alfalfa) Switzer.

Thunder Road (1958):
Perhaps the definitive film on moonshining, "Thunder Road" starred Robert Michum, Gene Barry and Mitchum's son, James, as the brother of Mitchum's character, in his debut. The film's theme song, "The Ballad Of Thunder Road" (Capitol 3986), was composed and recorded by Robert Mitchum. It reached # 62 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. The lead role in"Thunder Road" was first offered to Elvis by mitchum, himself, according to some reports (Lamar Fike actually verifies this in "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia"). Still other accounts have Elvis being offered a supporting role.

EDIT: Being that Lamar was there when Elvis was offered the role when Mitchum knocked on Elvis's motel room door and asked Elvis to play the part, I tend to go along with what Lamar says here.

West Side Story (1961):
United Artists and producer Robert Wise reportedly wanted Elvis, Paul Anka, Fanian, Bobby Darin, and Frankie Avallon to play members of the two gangs, the Jes and the Sharks, in West Side Story. One can only imagine what a lead role in the Best Picture of 1961 would have done for Elvis's acting career.

Too Late Blues (1962):
Bobby Darin starred in this John Cassavetes-directed film as a jazz musician in love with a selfish girl, played by Stella Stevens. The lead role of John Wakefield was first offered to Elvis.

Sweet Bird Of Youth (1962):
Elvis was offered the lead role of Chance Wayne in "Sweet Bird Of Youth," which was based on the Tennessee Williams play. But, because Elvis would've been playing a "bad guy," Colonel Parker turned down the offer, allowing Paul Newman to win the part. Ed Begley won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Boss Finley.

Bye Bye Birdie ((1963):
Jesse Pearson had the title role of Conrad Birdie, an Elvis-like rock & roll idol. Also starring in Bye Bye Birdie were Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke and Ann-Margret. Elvis was requested to sing two songs in the film, but Colonel Parker vetoed the idea. Bye Bye Birdie was based on the highly successful Broadway play of 1960.

Your Cheatin' Heart (1964):
George Hamilton played country singing legend Hank Williams in this biography of the late singer. Williams's son, Hank Williams, Jr., recorded the soundtrack for the film. Elvis was under consideration for the lead role, but Williams's widow, Audrey, was afraid that Elvis, other than her late husband, would become the focal point of "Your Cheatin' Heart".

Sidenote: Audrey wasn't Hank's widow at the time of his death, from what I've read - sound familiar anyone? Hank had reportedly secretly married a woman named Billie Jo Elishmar (or Elishman) shortly before his tragic/untimely passing on January 1, 1953.

The Fastest Guitar Alive (1968):
Elvis was asked to star in "The Fastest Guitar Alive", but Colonel Parker (once again!) said, "No!". Instead, Roy Orbison and Sammy Jackson starred in the film, which was about Confederate spies.

Midnight Cowboy (1969):
Midnight Cowboy is th only X-rated movie to ever win an Oscar for Best Picture. The rating, however, was later reduced to R. The role of Joe Buck, played by Jon Voight, was first offered to Elvis. One can only imagine how Elvis's fans would've responded to him playing a seedy character in an X-rated film. Bob Dylan originally composed "Lay Lady Lay" for Midnight Cowboy, but Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talking" was chosen instead.

The New Gladiators (1974):
Produced by George Waite, "The New Gladiators was a karate documentary that was never completed. Elvis provided the financial backing for the film and was it's narrator.

Ciao Rudy (1975):
On July 17, 1975, columnist Maggie Daly announced that Elvis was slated to portray silent-screen great Rudolph Valentino in a Broadway play to be titled, "Ciao, Rudy!". A movie version of the play was supposedly also in the works. For his efforts, Elvis was to have received $2.5 million dollars.

A Star Is Born (1976):
"A Star Is Born" has been filmed on four occasions: "What Price, Hollywood? (1932), with Constance Bennett and Neil Hamilton; "A Star Is Born" (1937), with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March; & "A Star Is Born" (1976), with Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. It was in this last version that Barbra Streisand wanted to costar with Elvis in what may have been his finest screen role to date. But an agreement couldn't be reached with Colonel Parker, who wanted one million dollars plus top billing for Elvis, rather than to settle for a percentage of the movie's gross. Kenny Loggins also turned down the male role.

The original inspiration for the screenplay for "What Price, Hollywood?" was the marriage of actor John McCormick and starlet Colleen Moore.

Billy Easter (1977):

The King Of Rock & Roll (1979):
It was rumored in 1979 that Sol Swimmer, Pete Bennett, and Bill Cash were going to produce"The King Of Rock 'n' Roll" with a screenplay written by George Klein. To date, the $10 million-dollar project has remained un-produced. Reportedly, considered for the role of Elvis were John Travolta, Lee Majors, Kris Kristofferson, and Warren Beatty. Van Johnson was offered the role of Vernon Presley
I think the last two films on that list are B.S.

I also seriously doubt Elvis was offered A Sweet Bird of Youth because Paul Newman had played the role on broadway.
Why have the established dramatic actor Newman originate the role only for Elvis to be offered the movie version then when he turns it down Paul Newman plays the role.

I always heard Elvis was considered for but never offered the lead role in Too late blues.

brian

Post by brian »

Jovan wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
(...)

Billy Easter (1977):
(..)
What's the story about this planned movie? It's written here as if it were a movie produced for and by Elvis... anyone?
I think that's the movie where Elvis was to have been an ex-CIA agent who runs a karate school.

He finds out his best friend has been murdered and decides to seek revenge.

Rick Husky discussed the project with Elvis and he was going to write a script for it.

Elvis decided to make the karate documentary instead.

The date 1977 is wrong.