Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Vinyl records value

Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I am thinking about to sell all of my vinyl records I have with Elvis, both RCA and bootlegs, is there any site on line that you can see the value of a record ( general value of course) or what should i do ?

Thanks In Advance

Re: Vinyl records value

Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 am

If you dont have economic problems,nagging wife you should keep them.
I have always regret i sold some real rare records :oops: :cry:

Mon May 16, 2011 12:24 am

Man, don't do it.

Mon May 16, 2011 12:28 am

Let me know what you want for them.

I'll take them off your hands. :)

::rocks :smt006

Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 am

Bilko wrote:I am thinking about to sell all of my vinyl records I have with Elvis, both RCA and bootlegs, is there any site on line that you can see the value of a record ( general value of course) or what should i do ?

Thanks In Advance

Although there are books with prices, I personally believe that the most accurate guide for realized values is eBay. Look at the Completed Auctions for actual realized sales. That is how I determine a real value of a record, which generally does not come close to the book prices.

Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 am

In addition to elvisrecords.us suggestion, you can also use www.popsike.com to see completed auctions. Popsike goes back several years so it has a lot more data than eBay's completed auction information.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:55 am

Shawn1968 wrote:In addition to elvisrecords.us suggestion, you can also use http://www.popsike.com to see completed auctions. Popsike goes back several years so it has a lot more data than eBay's completed auction information.

Popsike is an indispensable resource for sure. If you have an iPhone or a phone that has apps there is a great app I just found out about called 'CeeFrenzy' that acts the same as Popsike but alot easier to use when you're out and about, plus it has a feature called 'Yesterday's Top 25' which is a current run down of the 25 most valuable LPs as they sold to date! Very cool!

Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 am

Don't expect to "get rich quick". Value of LP's dropped considerably since the advent of CD and free music downloads.
Rare LP's I could easily sell for euro 100 some 20 years ago now hardly fetch euro 1.

Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Luuk wrote:Don't expect to "get rich quick". Value of LP's dropped considerably since the advent of CD and free music downloads.
Rare LP's I could easily sell for euro 100 some 20 years ago now hardly fetch euro 1.

I don't think it's really so much CDs and downloads as I'm noticing that some stores in my area that once had CD as a dominant form are now switching back to vinyl as their inventory priority. There's one store in my area that sells vinyl exclusively and they seem to be doing very well. People are climbing over themselves at flea markets and estate sales to grab vinyl. Really what has changed the market is eBay and other similar auction and independent seller websites. And as far as value goes there are some very valuable LPs out there that are fetching HUGE prices. They may be harder to find, but trust me...they're out there. You just have to beat the bushes. The advent of eBay has been a blessing and a curse. On the one hand you have the market saturated with several of the same title driving the price down and making book values irrelevant, on the other you could have a serious collector's piece that could fetch a price in the hundreds and even thousands thanks to worldwide exposure for your item AND demand for the title on vinyl. And we're not just talking a VG+ or Near Mint copy of the Beatles' 'Yesterday and Today' butcher cover. There are other very collectible, not as well known, titles. As far as Elvis examples are concerned, original Elvis LPs in nice shape always sell on eBay. Some high, some not so high. The earlier their edition and condition obviously play a part. But just recently we have seen that a sealed original mono of 'Speedway' with photo insert has gone for approx. $4000, and a sealed "Burning Love and Other Hits..." with the photo insert has gone for over $300. Now we all know musically that these are not the best Elvis LPs, but it just goes to prove what some are willing to throw down for vinyl.

Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Bilko wrote:I am thinking about to sell all of my vinyl records I have with Elvis, both RCA and bootlegs, is there any site on line that you can see the value of a record ( general value of course) or what should i do ?

Thanks In Advance

If you don't have to sell, keep 'em. If you have to sell, suggest just the rare records. The common records you probably will not get much for them. When checking out records sold, need to be sure you’re looking at condition and sellers. I've seen some rare records in "mint" condition sold for much less by someone just starting out vs. a seller that's been selling Elvis' records for years.

Thu May 26, 2011 11:40 am

intheghetto wrote:
Luuk wrote:Don't expect to "get rich quick". Value of LP's dropped considerably since the advent of CD and free music downloads.

I don't think it's really so much CDs and downloads as I'm noticing that some stores in my area that once had CD as a dominant form are now switching back to vinyl as their inventory priority. There's one store in my area that sells vinyl exclusively and they seem to be doing very well. People are climbing over themselves at flea markets and estate sales to grab vinyl. Really what has changed the market is eBay and other similar auction and independent seller websites. And as far as value goes there are some very valuable LPs out there that are fetching HUGE prices. They may be harder to find, but trust me...they're out there. You just have to beat the bushes. The advent of eBay has been a blessing and a curse. On the one hand you have the market saturated with several of the same title driving the price down and making book values irrelevant, on the other you could have a serious collector's piece that could fetch a price in the hundreds and even thousands thanks to worldwide exposure for your item AND demand for the title on vinyl. And we're not just talking a VG+ or Near Mint copy of the Beatles' 'Yesterday and Today' butcher cover. There are other very collectible, not as well known, titles. As far as Elvis examples are concerned, original Elvis LPs in nice shape always sell on eBay. Some high, some not so high. The earlier their edition and condition obviously play a part. But just recently we have seen that a sealed original mono of 'Speedway' with photo insert has gone for approx. $4000, and a sealed "Burning Love and Other Hits..." with the photo insert has gone for over $300. Now we all know musically that these are not the best Elvis LPs, but it just goes to prove what some are willing to throw down for vinyl.

This is not for the vinyl. The "Burning love" LP sells for a euro or a dollar.
It's the insert that makes it attractive.
Usually it is for conversation like this:
- Fan 1 "I have the Burning love LP"
- Fan 2 "Yeah, but I have it with the insert photo and paid $400 for that"
In the past I got offered lots of money for rare LP's (not necessarily Elvis) but since the music on that LP is easily available as a download, nobody is interested in the LP anymore.

Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 pm

I think that would mostly depend on how bad someone is looking for something they need to complete a peice of their collection, and that wouldn't have anything to do with a new market of media . Even though most of us have moved on to digital in the early 90's and downloads for our MP3 players, I don't think that has any effect on what we "collect or our hobbies" actually that "phase out" only adds Value.

Thu May 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Luuk wrote:
In the past I got offered lots of money for rare LP's (not necessarily Elvis) but since the music on that LP is easily available as a download, nobody is interested in the LP anymore.

Well, it is for the cover too. If you are a collecter you have to own this record with the cover that has a yellow starbust on the left corner... You can buy the insert easily with 70 dollars or even less.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Some good tips and advice here...
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/reference_s ... ction.html

Consider your options...find out how much dealers and your favorite eBay sellers will pay.
http://eil.com/shop/wanted.asp?artist=Elvis-Presley

Thu May 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Luuk wrote:

Your example of 'Burning Love' is correct. Without the insert and the yellow banner on the cover it's practically worthless, even if it's sealed. It's the same reason that (in this case) Elvis collectors will pay top dollar for first edition copies of his LPs in excellent condition as opposed to the same titles as reissues. Especially if they have inserts. It has nothing to do with LP versus digital download or CD. Collectors want first editions because they're first editions, not necessarily because they prefer LPs over CDs or how available the music is to them. Right now you can look on eBay and see several of these examples. The first Elvis EP in VG+ or better is always in demand and will always sell if the bid or buy it now price are not intentionally too high. It doesn't matter that people already have 'Blue Suede Shoes' (perhaps one of the most overplayed rock songs ever) on CD or download. And if you want to talk Beatles, forget it. Buyers have not stopped going ga-ga over Beatles on vinyl, and I don't think they'll ever stop. Like alot of LPs the appeal hovers somewhere between the buyer wanting an historical artifact and wanting to experience listening to the LP as it was meant to be heard when it was released.

Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 pm

About " burning love and...." I tried to sell the 1st pressing , the one with the yellow ad on ebay last month. Mint and in shrink ( without the bonus picture ) with 9 GBP as a starting bid....It didn't sell . And I sold a lot of 60 Elvis LPS ( various pressings ) for barely 120 € :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So except if you have really rare LPS, don't sell on ebay or don't forget the handkerciefs

Thu May 26, 2011 10:50 pm

jessewade wrote:About " burning love and...." I tried to sell the 1st pressing , the one with the yellow ad on ebay last month. Mint and in shrink ( without the bonus picture ) with 9 GBP as a starting bid....It didn't sell . And I sold a lot of 60 Elvis LPS ( various pressings ) for barely 120 € :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So except if you have really rare LPS, don't sell on ebay or don't forget the handkerciefs

That is a pity. Burning Love 1st pressing usually sells for 120 dollars alone.

Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 am

I'll try to re-list it but I frankly doubt it would reach such a price

Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
jessewade wrote:About " burning love and...." I tried to sell the 1st pressing , the one with the yellow ad on ebay last month. Mint and in shrink ( without the bonus picture ) with 9 GBP as a starting bid....It didn't sell . And I sold a lot of 60 Elvis LPS ( various pressings ) for barely 120 € :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So except if you have really rare LPS, don't sell on ebay or don't forget the handkerciefs

Where did you got that info ?!?, it never sold for 120 usd, unless the buyer was a complete idiot maybe ... :roll: No, expect that prices for LP's (or memorabilia) drop considerably in the next few years. In the end, it will be no more 'worth' than the paper (or vinyl) it's printed on ...

Fri May 27, 2011 12:15 am

jessewade wrote:I'll try to re-list it but I frankly doubt it would reach such a price

You're probably right. Here's one in shrink w/photo... buy it now $103.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVIS-PRESLEY-BURNI ... _500wt_665

Fri May 27, 2011 12:23 am

jessewade wrote:I'll try to re-list it but I frankly doubt it would reach such a price

I hope it does better the next time. Check out the prices from popsike. Lately this record has selled for pretty good prices, and not all the auctions can found from there. I payed about 100 dollars for my copy.

However, I have noticed that U.S. bidders are not eager to buy outside their own country and sometimes it is hard for European sellers to get the same prices as their colleagues from USA. I don't know if this is true or the reason, just a feeling that I have gotten.

Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 am

memphisflash wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

Where did you got that info ?!?, it never sold for 120 usd, unless the buyer was a complete idiot maybe ... :roll: No, expect that prices for LP's (or memorabilia) drop considerably in the next few years. In the end, it will be no more 'worth' than the paper (or vinyl) it's printed on ...

Never say never:

http://www.popsike.com/Elvis-Presley-Bu ... 24095.html

http://www.popsike.com/RARE-ELVIS-PRESL ... 53323.html

http://www.popsike.com/ELVIS-BURNING-LO ... 61745.html

I may be an idiot, but some near mint copies have reached pretty high prices lately. It is not that rare that a first class copy with the insert and in shrink sells for over hundred bucks.

Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

Never say never:

I may be an idiot, but some near mint copies have reached pretty high prices lately. It is not that rare that a first class copy with the insert and in shrink sells for over hundred bucks.

These are WITH starburst sticker and photo, that's what get's the higher bids, not the album - and even for the complete set, it's a niche market with just a few high bidding fan's - it will be over soon ....

Fri May 27, 2011 2:05 am

memphisflash wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

Never say never:

These are WITH starburst sticker and photo, that's what get's the higher bids, not the album - and even for the complete set, it's a niche market with just a few high bidding fan's - it will be over soon ....

Yes they are, I have been talking about the whole package all the time.

Will the prices go down? The next Presleyana guide will probably raise the price for records like Burning Love which is 100 dollars at the moment. But who knows about them bidders? I find it hard to believe that this kind of records will lose all their value.

Of course collectors are a minority, nobody has said otherwise. But they will probably be around as long as Elvis has his hard core fans.

Fri May 27, 2011 9:39 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
memphisflash wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

Never say never:

Yes they are, I have been talking about the whole package all the time.

Will the prices go down? The next Presleyana guide will probably raise the price for records like Burning Love which is 100 dollars at the moment. But who knows about them bidders? I find it hard to believe that this kind of records will lose all their value.

Of course collectors are a minority, nobody has said otherwise. But they will probably be around as long as Elvis has his hard core fans.

Like I said before a *sealed* copy of 'Burning Love....' with the yellow banner on cover and photo insert sold recently for over $300.

LP records are not going down in value across the board. What I think people are reacting to are the lower prices available for LPs that otherwise had long histories as sought after collectibles. Alot of the, shall we call them 'no-brainer' titles and artist like The Beatles and Elvis are becoming more readily available because of the advent of eBay over the last decade. All of the sudden people who had no interest in selling records are now finding the process to be literally at their fingertips. Who are the first artists they think of? It's a 'no-brainer': Beatles, Hendrix, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, etc., etc.. The boomers have now replaced the 'greatest generation' as the over 60 crowd with the closets and attics filled with old valuable stuff. All they or anybody has to do is look it up on their computer or iPhone. The point is that now it's easy to find a first print copy of "Elvis' Golden Records", there's probably a bunch on eBay right now. 25 years ago you probably had to trek to a major city and find the vintage record dealer or go to a record show to get your hands on one. Or in the best possible scenarios get lucky at a garage sale or flea market. There are rarer records out there going for prices in the thousands, they're just not so-called popular artists. Anybody ever heard of the song "I'm Having So Much Fun" by Willie Tee? The 45rpm single just auctioned recently for close to $1000.