Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
followthatdream
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Any truth in this?

Post by followthatdream »

Just read an article in a local UK paper about guy called Chris Slade who it seems is about to publish his life story. He's a drummer who worked with a number of bands starting with Tom Jones and then spent 5 years with AC/DC among others

What caught my attention was a picture of Elvis, Tom Jones and him circa 69-70.

It say's that while he was working with Tom Jones in the late 60's Elvis caught a number of shows and was very impressed with his drumming. He was then asked to work and rehearse with Elvis for his upcoming Vegas shows. He said Tom Jones and his manager refused to let him go so he turned Elvis donw?

What makes his story even more difficult to believe is that he then goe's on to say that Tom Jones was bigger then Elvis and Frank Sinatra put together :o

Tom Jones was a bigger draw then Presley anyway is another quote :)

Anyway i'm sure the guy's a very good drummer but his recollections are dubious and his stance that TJ was a bigger star then Elvis is just unbelievable!!

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Re: Any truth in this?

Post by elvis-fan »

followthatdream wrote:What makes his story even more difficult to believe is that he then goe's on to say that Tom Jones was bigger then Elvis and Frank Sinatra put together
He's from Wales and he worked with Tom Jones... go figure he'd like him over Elvis.
With regard to his comment, it's nothing more than his personal opinion... which we all have a right to...
Also, given the fact that TJ is still performing more than 35 years after Elvis' death, there could be some credibility to the claim that TJ has been an overall bigger draw then Elvis throughout the years.

Topic author
followthatdream

elvis-fan wrote:
followthatdream wrote:What makes his story even more difficult to believe is that he then goe's on to say that Tom Jones was bigger then Elvis and Frank Sinatra put together
He's from Wales and he worked with Tom Jones... go figure he'd like him over Elvis.
With regard to his comment, it's nothing more than his personal opinion... which we all have a right to...
Also, given the fact that TJ is still performing more than 35 years after Elvis' death, there could be some credibility to the claim that TJ has been an overall bigger draw then Elvis throughout the years.
Totally agree that everyone is entitled to personal preference but TJ could carry on performing for another 35 years but in terms of historical musical and cultural importance Elvis is on another planet.

Also remember this Guy was comparing Elvis and Tom Jones when Elvis was performing so thats the comparison to consider.

I should also have mentined that he say's that AC/DC were the biggest band in the world,'' we sold more then the Rolling Stones and if you combine touring and albums we were at least as big as The Beatles''

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

followthatdream wrote:Just read an article in a local UK paper about guy called Chris Slade who it seems is about to publish his life story. He's a drummer who worked with a number of bands starting with Tom Jones and then spent 5 years with AC/DC among others

What caught my attention was a picture of Elvis, Tom Jones and him circa 69-70.

It say's that while he was working with Tom Jones in the late 60's Elvis caught a number of shows and was very impressed with his drumming. He was then asked to work and rehearse with Elvis for his upcoming Vegas shows. He said Tom Jones and his manager refused to let him go so he turned Elvis donw?

What makes his story even more difficult to believe is that he then goe's on to say that Tom Jones was bigger then Elvis and Frank Sinatra put together :o

Tom Jones was a bigger draw then Presley anyway is another quote :)

Anyway i'm sure the guy's a very good drummer but his recollections are dubious and his stance that TJ was a bigger star then Elvis is just unbelievable!!
At the time Elvis saw Chris Slade drum in the Tom Jones band, probably just one show, he was not doing concerts, so Jones was indeed the "bigger draw."

But the story of him trying out for Elvis' live band is new. It's not impossible that he was the unnamed professional drummer during try-outs at RCA Hollywood in July 1969 who apparently won the gig, until Ron Tutt got to show his stuff at the very end of the day. Someone should ask Tutt, he would recall if it was Chris Slade that he beat out.

With Chris Ellis, Chris Slade and Tom Jones, Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas - June 10, 1969
Photo: Peter C. Borsari
Chris Ellis was Tom's personal assistant, Chris Slade was Tom's current drummer.
Slade went on to drum with Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Gary Numan, AC/DC and others.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Tony C
Registered for: 10 years
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

I'm sure many musicians were considered at various times, how seriously, we can never know. Bass player Alan Jones told me personally that Elvis tried to poach him from Tom Jones when Jerry Scheff left, but Alan could not consider it because he had just started another two year contract with Tom. Alan would go on to become a member of The Shadows. Is that true? Who am I to doubt him, his timings fit the facts but none of us can know for certain. As for Chris Slade, maybe he did audition for Elvis. That was around the time that The Squires were told their services were no longer required by Tom so he would have been available. This was after many years with Tom dating back to the pub and club days in Wales. He got his manager to do the deed, they were told being let go was for their own good and how they were too talented to merely back Tom. Sweetening the bitter pill, I feel.

drjohncarpenter

Tony C wrote:I'm sure many musicians were considered at various times, how seriously, we can never know. Bass player Alan Jones told me personally that Elvis tried to poach him from Tom Jones when Jerry Scheff left, but Alan could not consider it because he had just started another two year contract with Tom. Alan would go on to become a member of The Shadows. Is that true? Who am I to doubt him, his timings fit the facts but none of us can know for certain. As for Chris Slade, maybe he did audition for Elvis. That was around the time that The Squires were told their services were no longer required by Tom so he would have been available. This was after many years with Tom dating back to the pub and club days in Wales. He got his manager to do the deed, they were told being let go was for their own good and how they were too talented to merely back Tom. Sweetening the bitter pill, I feel.
I disagree. For example, if someone asks Ron Tutt the name of the pro drummer who apparently "had it in the bag" before Ron impressed Elvis, we will indeed know if it was Chris Slade, or someone else.

As for Jerry Scheff's replacement, no doubt someone from the Presley group contacted musicians, and Alan Jones might have been one of the names on the list. Jones' claim could be confirmed by internal paperwork, or perhaps by asking Emory Gordy, Jr., who got the gig.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tony C
Registered for: 10 years
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

OK, disagree if you wish. Go ask Ronnie Tutt to get your definitive answer. While you're at it, ask him if the original Madison Square Garden LP was speeded up. He will say it was, whereas Ernst and people that have listened to the LP carefully say it isn't. If the songs are faster it is because they played faster, the tempo being set by the drummer! The memories of these guys cannot be relied on as 100% certain. As for Alan Jones, he told me that Elvis asked him personally backstage after coming on stage at a Tom Jones concert in Las Vegas. But if you want to check for internal paperwork or ask Emory Gordy Jr, go ahead.

drjohncarpenter

Tony C wrote:OK, disagree if you wish. Go ask Ronnie Tutt to get your definitive answer. While you're at it, ask him if the original Madison Square Garden LP was speeded up. He will say it was, whereas Ernst and people that have listened to the LP carefully say it isn't. If the songs are faster it is because they played faster, the tempo being set by the drummer! The memories of these guys cannot be relied on as 100% certain. As for Alan Jones, he told me that Elvis asked him personally backstage after coming on stage at a Tom Jones concert in Las Vegas. But if you want to check for internal paperwork or ask Emory Gordy Jr, go ahead.
You have a nice day. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

brian
Registered for: 16 years

Post by brian »

I thought Ronnie Tutt said that he beat out a Motown drummer for the job or something like that.

drjohncarpenter

brian wrote:I thought Ronnie Tutt said that he beat out a Motown drummer for the job or something like that.
Can you find the source of that, please? I'd love to know more.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mrt
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by mrt »

brian wrote:I thought Ronnie Tutt said that he beat out a Motown drummer for the job or something like that.
According to an interview with Ronnie Tutt by Arjan Deelen (as published on Elvis Australia) you are correct,
I heard that you were competing with the staff-drummer of Motown at that audition in '69.
Oh yeah, everyone. I was sinking slower and slower in the chair as the night went on, because I didn't even think I was going to get a chance to audition.
What do you think made you get the job?
Well, number one, I think it was my own understanding of being a competent studio player, and I'd done a lot of R&B playing in Memphis with all the great rhythm sections. All that experience was good. But more than that - because this drummer from Motown was good - it wasn't just a matter of expertise, but a matter of rapport.
Source: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_ronnietutt.shtml

drjohncarpenter

Mr.T wrote:
According to an interview with Ronnie Tutt by Arjan Deelen (as published on Elvis Australia) you are correct,
I heard that you were competing with the staff-drummer of Motown at that audition in '69.
Oh yeah, everyone. I was sinking slower and slower in the chair as the night went on, because I didn't even think I was going to get a chance to audition.
What do you think made you get the job?
Well, number one, I think it was my own understanding of being a competent studio player, and I'd done a lot of R&B playing in Memphis with all the great rhythm sections. All that experience was good. But more than that - because this drummer from Motown was good - it wasn't just a matter of expertise, but a matter of rapport.
Source: http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_ronnietutt.shtml
Who would be the "staff drummer from Motown"? It would still be interesting to hear some names from Ron.

The two known drummers then were Uriel Jones and Richard "Pistol" Allen.

But why would either one be trying out at RCA Hollywood for Elvis' band in July 1969, and how come no one has ever talked about how close an African-American musician, from one of the most famous studio bands of all-time, came to being a member of Presley's rhythm section?

The Funk Brothers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funk_Brothers#Notable_members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriel_Jones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_%22Pistol%22_Allen

Another mystery!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

brian

Post by brian »

Maybe they wanted an opportunity to play live and to make some more money.

Maybe they would have only played the one Las Vegas engagement in 69.

elvis4life
Registered for: 19 years

Post by elvis4life »

Did you mean this article? It does mention about a book but don't say anything about a title or when it'll be out:

http://www.yourcanterbury.co.uk/leisure/drummer_chris_slade_shows_he_s_still_keeping_good_time_1_3700918

Drummer Chris Slade shows he’s still keeping good time

http://www.yourcanterbury.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.3700917.1406306987!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

Chris Slade, centre, with Elvis Presley and Tom Jones

Dave Mairs
Friday, July 25, 2014
5:49 PM

Former AC/DC rocker has performed with some of the best in the business... next month he plays his local beer festival in Ashford

Sometimes it surprises you, the talented folk who live in your midst. Particularly those who have plied their trade at the highest tables of entertainment and, dare we say it, stardom.

Take Chris Slade, a man who lives in Ashford and who from 1989-94 was drummer with AC/DC, one of the biggest rock bands the world has known. He also played with Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Uriah Heep, Asia, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker Group, Gary Numan and The Firm. Oh, and with Tom Jones... and Olivia Newton-John, too.

Speaking to him, it’s not rocket science to deduce from his soft, lilting accent that Slade is from South Wales. Pontypridd, to be precise. But he’s a local (to us) boy, really.

“I’ve been moving around Kent and East Sussex half my life, I think. I was in the Hastings area, then the Ashford area – I left Pontypridd when I was 17 or 18. I used to go back to see the family, of course, but my life is up here. I lived in Sunbury in a boat on the Thames in the mid-1960s.”

As evidence of his Kent grounding, Slade will be headlining next month’s Ashford Rugby Club Beer Festival with his touring band THE CHRIS SLADE TIMELINE.

Talking with someone who has led as diverse a life in the world of rock as one might imagine, the inevitable first question is what were the highlights.

“They were all highlights, to be honest. I suppose it’s got to be AC/DC – they were arguably the biggest band in the world.”

“Pink Floyd?” I venture.

“Won’t tour.”

“We sold more than the Stones and if you combine touring and albums we were at least as big as The Beatles.”

And then, with due recognition of this writer’s self-indulgence, there’s Rush, a band who are almost so uncool they’re cool… and who also are hugely popular across the world.

“I know the guys – they actually do better touring than they do selling records.

“I first met Neil [Rush drummer Peart] when he had been in the band just two weeks – they were supporting the Earth Band.

“I remember talking to him and we were discussing drummers’ roles as lyricists – he’s very philosophical, very intelligent.”

It’s a point worth making as Slade himself points out that drummers do not always receive the respect they might deserve, especially as it’s their role to keep the band in time.

“Drumming is a much-maligned occupation,” he said. “It’s a bit like being a goalkeeper in football – if a goal goes in, it’s his fault. It’s the drummer’s job to keep time – if that isn’t there, then you have a problem.

“Some drummers just won’t learn their lessons… maybe they can’t.

“I never used a click track [think of it as an electronic metronome to set the beat] with AC/DC. A lot of people give drummers a click track in their headphones, which should keep everybody in time.

“The rest of the band listen to the drummer – at least that’s what has been happening in the last 15 or 20 years. You’re calling the shots. If you’re confident in your timekeeping you can rein in those people who are straying. With a lot of people you’ve got to be really stern – tell them I’m sitting right here where it started and where it’s going to finish.”

If AC/DC, for whom he played on the 1990 album The Razors Edge, was just about the highlight of a career spent among the stars, Slade’s time with fellow Pontypridd boy Tom Jones, whom he joined as one of his Squires at the age of 16 in the 1960s, clearly made almost as big an impression.

“Tom was bigger than Sinatra and Elvis put together and I’m not exaggerating – he was huge in America. We did Madison Square Garden in 1966 with the Count Basie Orchestra, who I played with as well. They were booked back to back and they had a 35-piece orchestra, who did their set and then Tom did his bit.”

It seems there’s no one in the world of rock that Slade doesn’t know or about whom he hasn’t got a story.

Like the time journalist Jon Landau gave the album Greetings From Asbury Park N.J. from “unknown singer-songwriter” Bruce Springsteen to Manfred Mann, who “took one of the songs and rearranged it completely” before releasing it as a single… “Blinded By The Light is still Springsteen’s only No 1,” said Slade, with just the tiniest hint of irony.

Perhaps the biggest story for Slade, though, is what didn’t happen.

While drumming for Tom Jones, he was asked to play for Elvis Presley… but it was an offer he had to refuse.

“It’s the biggest regret of my career,” he said. “I was contracted to Tom and his manager Gordon Miles wouldn’t let me out of it, so I couldn’t make the rehearsals for Elvis.

“I met him a few times – he came to a few of our shows, saw us perform and liked what he saw. He said ‘You know what, we could use you and [another drummer] Ronnie Tutt.

“I was 21 or 22 at the time and perhaps didn’t have the confidence, but I should have just walked.”

An understandable sentiment on reflection maybe, but, given that Slade recalls Jones as a bigger draw than Presley anyway, perhaps it’s also a little puzzling.

“They were certainly of the same status,” he said. “Tom had a weekly TV show in the States – as I said, he was huge.

“That was the consolation – playing with Tom was good, but to play for the iconic Elvis as a British drummer was on a different level. I would have been playing for the most iconic figure ever in rock’n’roll and it was going to be for an Elvis movie.”

Despite the regret, Slade is “very proud” of having been asked to play for Elvis. “I must have been doing something right,” he said.

The experiences of the great and the good in the world of rock just kept on coming.

Although he never met Pink Floyd front man Roger Waters, he did play with band guitarist David Gilmour “between the two Floyds” and “met the others guys just two years ago”.

He played with Floyd drummer Nick Mason at Rock’n’Roll Fantasy Camp.

With the drummer setting the time for a band, how does it work when you have two playing together?

“You follow each other, you blend, which is what you try to do in a band anyway. I like Nick’s laid-back snare, while I drive a band.

“Nick’s got a great sense of time and is also one of nicest people you could meet. I worked with him for a full year when most of our time was spent on buses, so we know each other pretty well.”

It might surprise some that drummers – some of them anyway – have a well-developed sensitive side and this can find expression through the writing of lyrics.

Slade wrote while with the Earth Band and has co-written pieces when on the road. Fans might get to hear some of these at the beer festival, where his band will be playing some two hours on the Friday evening, when the party should be in full swing.

It’s been a career worthy of a book, and indeed one should soon be on its way, but – missing out on Elvis aside – there were low points and some tough decisions.

For example, how did the move away from Tom Jones come about?

“I’d been with Tom 10 years and it was time to move on. We’d started together and literally used to eat every other day – we lived in a basement flat in London with [bass player] Vernon Mills and if it wasn’t for food parcels from home we would have really struggled.”

Does he still see the now Sir Tom?

“Five years ago I was in Las Vegas, where he was playing to packed audiences every night. I told him I’d enjoyed the show and said goodbye. Then, purely by chance, I walked in to a bar at about 4am and he was there and we had a beer.”

For all the names, all the bands and all the stories, you still get the idea that Slade is defined by his five years with AC/DC, that perhaps he most defines himself by that period. Sadly, it was one that ended abruptly when the band’s legendary rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young called him to say that the band were considering getting back together with former drummer Phil Rudd.

To say Slade took the news badly would be a striking understatement.

“It absolutely devastated me,” he said. “I didn’t touch a drumstick for three years. We’d done two months of demos and it came as a bolt out of the blue.

“I’m very philosophical and Malcolm said it’s nothing you’re not doing or doing wrong – we’re just trying Phil out. I resigned on the spot.

“I did meet Phil and the guys later and we went for a beer.

“After that, I went to art college and thought ‘Put your heart and soul into this’.”

Heart and soul… the phrase rings true as there’s an honesty that shines from Chris Slade when you speak to him. His book will assuredly be worth reading, as much as his music will be worth listening to at Ashford’s beer festival in August. Fellow rockers, be there!

■ Ashford Rugby Club Beer Festival (Canterbury Road, Ashford) runs from Friday to Sunday, August 29-31.

THE CHRIS SLADE TIMELINE are playing on the Friday, when the gates open at 4pm, with music beginning at 6pm. Slade’s band take to the stage at 10pm.

On the Saturday, gates open at 10am, rugby starts at 10.30am and music begins at 1pm.

On Sunday, the festival is open from 10.30am-5pm.

Tickets for each day are priced at £7.50, except for Sunday, which has free entry.

Topic author
followthatdream

elvis4life wrote:Did you mean this article? It does mention about a book but don't say anything about a title or when it'll be out:

http://www.yourcanterbury.co.uk/leisure/drummer_chris_slade_shows_he_s_still_keeping_good_time_1_3700918

Drummer Chris Slade shows he’s still keeping good time

http://www.yourcanterbury.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.3700917.1406306987!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

Chris Slade, centre, with Elvis Presley and Tom Jones

Dave Mairs
Friday, July 25, 2014
5:49 PM

Former AC/DC rocker has performed with some of the best in the business... next month he plays his local beer festival in Ashford

Sometimes it surprises you, the talented folk who live in your midst. Particularly those who have plied their trade at the highest tables of entertainment and, dare we say it, stardom.

Take Chris Slade, a man who lives in Ashford and who from 1989-94 was drummer with AC/DC, one of the biggest rock bands the world has known. He also played with Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Uriah Heep, Asia, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker Group, Gary Numan and The Firm. Oh, and with Tom Jones... and Olivia Newton-John, too.

Speaking to him, it’s not rocket science to deduce from his soft, lilting accent that Slade is from South Wales. Pontypridd, to be precise. But he’s a local (to us) boy, really.

“I’ve been moving around Kent and East Sussex half my life, I think. I was in the Hastings area, then the Ashford area – I left Pontypridd when I was 17 or 18. I used to go back to see the family, of course, but my life is up here. I lived in Sunbury in a boat on the Thames in the mid-1960s.”

As evidence of his Kent grounding, Slade will be headlining next month’s Ashford Rugby Club Beer Festival with his touring band THE CHRIS SLADE TIMELINE.

Talking with someone who has led as diverse a life in the world of rock as one might imagine, the inevitable first question is what were the highlights.

“They were all highlights, to be honest. I suppose it’s got to be AC/DC – they were arguably the biggest band in the world.”

“Pink Floyd?” I venture.

“Won’t tour.”

“We sold more than the Stones and if you combine touring and albums we were at least as big as The Beatles.”

And then, with due recognition of this writer’s self-indulgence, there’s Rush, a band who are almost so uncool they’re cool… and who also are hugely popular across the world.

“I know the guys – they actually do better touring than they do selling records.

“I first met Neil [Rush drummer Peart] when he had been in the band just two weeks – they were supporting the Earth Band.

“I remember talking to him and we were discussing drummers’ roles as lyricists – he’s very philosophical, very intelligent.”

It’s a point worth making as Slade himself points out that drummers do not always receive the respect they might deserve, especially as it’s their role to keep the band in time.

“Drumming is a much-maligned occupation,” he said. “It’s a bit like being a goalkeeper in football – if a goal goes in, it’s his fault. It’s the drummer’s job to keep time – if that isn’t there, then you have a problem.

“Some drummers just won’t learn their lessons… maybe they can’t.

“I never used a click track [think of it as an electronic metronome to set the beat] with AC/DC. A lot of people give drummers a click track in their headphones, which should keep everybody in time.

“The rest of the band listen to the drummer – at least that’s what has been happening in the last 15 or 20 years. You’re calling the shots. If you’re confident in your timekeeping you can rein in those people who are straying. With a lot of people you’ve got to be really stern – tell them I’m sitting right here where it started and where it’s going to finish.”

If AC/DC, for whom he played on the 1990 album The Razors Edge, was just about the highlight of a career spent among the stars, Slade’s time with fellow Pontypridd boy Tom Jones, whom he joined as one of his Squires at the age of 16 in the 1960s, clearly made almost as big an impression.

“Tom was bigger than Sinatra and Elvis put together and I’m not exaggerating – he was huge in America. We did Madison Square Garden in 1966 with the Count Basie Orchestra, who I played with as well. They were booked back to back and they had a 35-piece orchestra, who did their set and then Tom did his bit.”

It seems there’s no one in the world of rock that Slade doesn’t know or about whom he hasn’t got a story.

Like the time journalist Jon Landau gave the album Greetings From Asbury Park N.J. from “unknown singer-songwriter” Bruce Springsteen to Manfred Mann, who “took one of the songs and rearranged it completely” before releasing it as a single… “Blinded By The Light is still Springsteen’s only No 1,” said Slade, with just the tiniest hint of irony.

Perhaps the biggest story for Slade, though, is what didn’t happen.

While drumming for Tom Jones, he was asked to play for Elvis Presley… but it was an offer he had to refuse.

“It’s the biggest regret of my career,” he said. “I was contracted to Tom and his manager Gordon Miles wouldn’t let me out of it, so I couldn’t make the rehearsals for Elvis.

“I met him a few times – he came to a few of our shows, saw us perform and liked what he saw. He said ‘You know what, we could use you and [another drummer] Ronnie Tutt.

“I was 21 or 22 at the time and perhaps didn’t have the confidence, but I should have just walked.”

An understandable sentiment on reflection maybe, but, given that Slade recalls Jones as a bigger draw than Presley anyway, perhaps it’s also a little puzzling.

“They were certainly of the same status,” he said. “Tom had a weekly TV show in the States – as I said, he was huge.

“That was the consolation – playing with Tom was good, but to play for the iconic Elvis as a British drummer was on a different level. I would have been playing for the most iconic figure ever in rock’n’roll and it was going to be for an Elvis movie.”

Despite the regret, Slade is “very proud” of having been asked to play for Elvis. “I must have been doing something right,” he said.

The experiences of the great and the good in the world of rock just kept on coming.

Although he never met Pink Floyd front man Roger Waters, he did play with band guitarist David Gilmour “between the two Floyds” and “met the others guys just two years ago”.

He played with Floyd drummer Nick Mason at Rock’n’Roll Fantasy Camp.

With the drummer setting the time for a band, how does it work when you have two playing together?

“You follow each other, you blend, which is what you try to do in a band anyway. I like Nick’s laid-back snare, while I drive a band.

“Nick’s got a great sense of time and is also one of nicest people you could meet. I worked with him for a full year when most of our time was spent on buses, so we know each other pretty well.”

It might surprise some that drummers – some of them anyway – have a well-developed sensitive side and this can find expression through the writing of lyrics.

Slade wrote while with the Earth Band and has co-written pieces when on the road. Fans might get to hear some of these at the beer festival, where his band will be playing some two hours on the Friday evening, when the party should be in full swing.

It’s been a career worthy of a book, and indeed one should soon be on its way, but – missing out on Elvis aside – there were low points and some tough decisions.

For example, how did the move away from Tom Jones come about?

“I’d been with Tom 10 years and it was time to move on. We’d started together and literally used to eat every other day – we lived in a basement flat in London with [bass player] Vernon Mills and if it wasn’t for food parcels from home we would have really struggled.”

Does he still see the now Sir Tom?

“Five years ago I was in Las Vegas, where he was playing to packed audiences every night. I told him I’d enjoyed the show and said goodbye. Then, purely by chance, I walked in to a bar at about 4am and he was there and we had a beer.”

For all the names, all the bands and all the stories, you still get the idea that Slade is defined by his five years with AC/DC, that perhaps he most defines himself by that period. Sadly, it was one that ended abruptly when the band’s legendary rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young called him to say that the band were considering getting back together with former drummer Phil Rudd.

To say Slade took the news badly would be a striking understatement.

“It absolutely devastated me,” he said. “I didn’t touch a drumstick for three years. We’d done two months of demos and it came as a bolt out of the blue.

“I’m very philosophical and Malcolm said it’s nothing you’re not doing or doing wrong – we’re just trying Phil out. I resigned on the spot.

“I did meet Phil and the guys later and we went for a beer.

“After that, I went to art college and thought ‘Put your heart and soul into this’.”

Heart and soul… the phrase rings true as there’s an honesty that shines from Chris Slade when you speak to him. His book will assuredly be worth reading, as much as his music will be worth listening to at Ashford’s beer festival in August. Fellow rockers, be there!

■ Ashford Rugby Club Beer Festival (Canterbury Road, Ashford) runs from Friday to Sunday, August 29-31.

THE CHRIS SLADE TIMELINE are playing on the Friday, when the gates open at 4pm, with music beginning at 6pm. Slade’s band take to the stage at 10pm.

On the Saturday, gates open at 10am, rugby starts at 10.30am and music begins at 1pm.

On Sunday, the festival is open from 10.30am-5pm.

Tickets for each day are priced at £7.50, except for Sunday, which has free entry.

Yep that's the same article although it was in a different magazine.......

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Who would be the "staff drummer from Motown"? It would still be interesting to hear some names from Ron.

The two known drummers then were Uriel Jones and Richard "Pistol" Allen.

But why would either one be trying out at RCA Hollywood for Elvis' band in July 1969, and how come no one has ever talked about how close an African-American musician, from one of the most famous studio bands of all-time, came to being a member of Presley's rhythm section?

Another mystery!
Good points and valid questions.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Claus

Post by Claus »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Who would be the "staff drummer from Motown"? It would still be interesting to hear some names from Ron.

It could be Larrie Londin who claims he did session work for Motown in the 60s.

brian

Post by brian »

Claus wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Who would be the "staff drummer from Motown"? It would still be interesting to hear some names from Ron.

I don't think that's who Ronnie Tutt was referring to.

drjohncarpenter

Claus wrote:

Probably not. Ron would have mentioned him by name. In addition, Larrie Londin was a Motown artist, not session man, as a member of the Headliners. Two singles were issued on the subsidiary label V.I.P. -- one in late 1964 another in late 1965.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Claus

Post by Claus »

According to Londin, he was a drummer at Motown for ten years, but I don't know how trustworthy he is.
how did you become the drummer of tamla motown' studios ?

when benny benjamin who did every sessions couldn t play anymore, i replaced him. Berry gordy simply needed another drummer and i was here.
I did that job for 10 years and then i settled in LA and chet atkins asked me to come in nashville. Chet atkins was my mentor, he always gave a hand to young musicians.
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22659

drjohncarpenter

Claus wrote:According to Londin, he was a drummer at Motown for ten years, but I don't know how trustworthy he is.
how did you become the drummer of tamla motown' studios ?

when benny benjamin who did every sessions couldn t play anymore, i replaced him. Berry gordy simply needed another drummer and i was here.
I did that job for 10 years and then i settled in LA and chet atkins asked me to come in nashville. Chet atkins was my mentor, he always gave a hand to young musicians.
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22659
One might think if Larrie Londin drummed on Motown sessions for a decade, he would have been cited in the award-winning, 2002 documentary on the session musicians and their history with the label. But he is apparently unmentioned and uncredited.

Standing in the Shadows of Motown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_in_the_Shadows_of_Motown

Standing in the Shadows of Motown - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314725/fullcredits

Standing in the Shadows of Motown -- The Funk Brothers
http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/funksbio.htm

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Thanks to member JSH we have our answer: notable L.A. session drummer Gene Pello!

See:
The mysterious '69 Motown drummer
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85169

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.