"Moody Blue" the single!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

jurasic1968

Re: "Moody Blue" the single!

Post by jurasic1968 »

Lonely Summer wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:The discussion was about the chart position of the albums. Quantity versus quality? The Stones are clear ahead of Elvis in the charts from the 70's to nowadays.
I would expect that yes, the Stones were ahead of Elvis on the charts in the 70's. The point was, by the mid 70's, Elvis had been in the biz 20 years. By the mid 80's, not the mid 70's, the Stones had been in the biz 20 years. Their album sales were not as good after Tattoo You in '81 - their last real blockbuster. Sure, they had good sales for many years after, as Elvis did throughout his career. Any of Elvis' contemporaries from the 50's would have LOVED to move records in the 70's the way Elvis did. But yeah, we hold Elvis to a higher standard than others, artistically and commercially, because Elvis was so much greater than, say, Little Richard, or Chuck Berry. And then we beat the piss out of him everytime he does not meet our unrealistic expectations. "Oh, Elvis, you let us down, you didn't try hard enough, you're a failure!" Give me a break. There's more important things in life than having a hit record. Maybe if Elvis hadn't been pushed like a machine to keep cranking it out, on record and on stage, he'd been alive today.
Thank you for your reply, but to me it's clear that Elvis began by 1971 to lost interest in make new fresh, contemporary albums. He lost interest gradually to have new hits in the Bilboard singles Top 100. Because of the depression and other problems, his studio sessions declined in quality as the 70's progressed.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

In 1974 and 1977 Elvis didn't record any song in a studio. In 1972 he recorded only for 3 days in March and in March 1975 also for 3 days. In 1976 at Graceland 5 days (4 in February and 1 in October) with long breaks between the recordings. Only in 1973 Elvis stayed in a studio a longer period, especially in December. So I think Elvis after 1971 stayed very little in the studio to record new songs.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

"Moody Blue" was released thirty-nine years ago today. I remember obtaining my copy from a Woolworth's store. It was not in a picture sleeve, but a generic RCA sleeve. I can only speculate that less picture sleeves were made of singles with no advertising of (as in the case of this single) an available or forthcoming album. A solitary single release, for the time being.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Your thread made me listen to the song again..love it..one of his best songs of the 70`s..catchy..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

I remember when I bought both the single and the album, the album was a little more expensive than regular albums due to the colored vinyl. In europé we got the Canadian releases with the limited numbered sticker. Back then disco was the big deal. Little Before the disco craze there was a lot of great soul Music with artists like O'jays, Billy Paul, Teddy Pendergrass, The Three Degrees it was called The Sound OF Philadelphia. and lets not forget George McCrae that had a huge hit all over the World with Rock Your Baby Miami Soul.
Shortly after there was Disco as we know it today,some good tunes but mostly bad for a soul lover like me, the bad ones peaked with Boney M and similar Groups.

When I first played Moody Blue it struck me that it was kinda cool that my idol Elvis was so up to date that he did an disco inspired
song like Moody Blue. I fully agree with Doc, that this song IS disco ala ABBA or Tavares. For those that wasn't around in the seventhies give Tavares More Than A Woman or Yvonne Elliman If I Can't Have You a listening on Youtube then you see what both me and the Doc are talking about. If you want Abba why not try Dancing Queen all song is different but you can trace the disco feeling just like I did with Moody Blue back then.
I liked the album very much (It was a new Elvis Album!! This time in VERY cool Blue Vinyl!!) My favorite tracks was He Have To Go and Pledging My Love, song I wished Elvis had done earlier in his career.
Regarding the Blue Vinyl, it was told or so I heard/read somewhere that it was to celebrate Elvis as Rca Victors biggest star, but the seventhies was full of releases both new album releases, and a huge lot of old albums that got re releases in limited colored vinyl.
When the colored vinyl faded from the market, there was Picture Discs of many of the old albums, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road by the beatles comes to my mind right now.
Those where the days back in the sevethies ,hanging around the music stores to see what new releases they got in, and For The Heart single was released in europé with Picture sleeve.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Stvimpe wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:And since we are on the topic of moody blue. I really like take 1 as released on the FTD ''Moody Blue'', and also the italian version.
Moody blue (The album and the song) has always been a favourite of mine. Regarding the Jungle Room sessions i now have these releases.

- Jungle Room Sessions FTD
- From EP Boulevard FTD
- Jungle Room Sessions FTD Vinyl
- Moody Blue FTD vinyl
- From Ep Boulevard - the regular vinyl.
- Moody Blue - Regular vinyl, black LP orange label - dutch version.
- The Last Farewell - Major Parkhill 5 CD Set .

I always liked the jungle room sessions and i always will ::rocks
For such a connoisseur it is shocking you do not have the Venus series of CD releases covering Presley's Jungle Room work in 1976. I have all five, they are a dream come true for lovers of the Graceland sessions. There is even a version of "Moody Blue" (take 3) exclusive to the series.
FYI. The Last Farewell set, which Johnny2523 listed above, contains the so-called exclusive Moody Blue take 3.
Yes, I am quite aware of that 2015 reissue box set. FYI. You miss a lot of facts in your failed effort to "one up" my post.

The producers of The Last Farewell copied all five CDs issued on the Venus label in 2010 and 2011, including the one with the EXCLUSIVE take of "Moody Blue."

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/solitaire.html

If you had taken the time to study the above "Jungle Room" list I replied to, you would have noticed that many of his entries PRE-DATE the Venus releases. So, for anyone so fanatical about 1976 material, including much repetition, the absence of these titles, which offer so much more wonderful 1976 music is indeed shocking.

Instead of trying to rip on another member, and end up looking stupid, why not contribute to the topic? It's fun. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Tony C
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

Juan Luis wrote:"Moody Blue" was released thirty-nine years ago today. I remember obtaining my copy from a Woolworth's store. It was not in a picture sleeve, but a generic RCA sleeve. I can only speculate that less picture sleeves were made of singles with no advertising of (as in the case of this single) an available or forthcoming album. A solitary single release, for the time being.
My copy of "Moody Blue" also came from Woolworth's, but in London. I can remember rushing home to listen to it wondering what it sounded like, fast song, ballad, I had no idea. All I knew about it was the two words in the title. How different to these days, now we are bombarded with new songs on all forms of media long before they are released.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I did not (at the time) and do not consider today "Moody Blue", a disco song. The "influence" of course. But no way close to ABBA or other disco groups of the day. It's a mix ala Elvis. Cannnot pinpoint exactly except its also pop, country.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

For me its more a contemporary country song type....

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Rebel Yell wrote:this song IS disco ala ABBA or Tavares. For those that wasn't around in the seventhies give Tavares More Than A Woman or Yvonne Elliman If I Can't Have You a listening
There are fleeting disco sounding elements on 'Moody Blue' but it's rather a stretch to compare it's sound to those Saturday Night Fever album tracks.

Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Well, to each his own, back then I was thrilled of the fact that it sounded more like a disco tune than a regular Elvis song released on his
previous albums. So for me the arr. is VERY disco influenced, and why not? It was the sound in the mid seventhies all over the World.
If I would like to do a mixtape back then for dance Music, Moody Blue had fit in very well among the songs I gave as an example.
Music is a matter of taste and what references one have. Me for myself can't hear the any country influences in that song, and I woulden't had put it on a mixtape for country Music. BUT THAT'S ME, everybody has their own references.
What is a blues song for one person, is a pop song to the other person, there is no wrong or right when it comes to music. I just gave my opinion on how I felt back then and feels today about Moody Blue

Topic author
Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Stvimpe wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:And since we are on the topic of moody blue. I really like take 1 as released on the FTD ''Moody Blue'', and also the italian version.
Moody blue (The album and the song) has always been a favourite of mine. Regarding the Jungle Room sessions i now have these releases.

- Jungle Room Sessions FTD
- From EP Boulevard FTD
- Jungle Room Sessions FTD Vinyl
- Moody Blue FTD vinyl
- From Ep Boulevard - the regular vinyl.
- Moody Blue - Regular vinyl, black LP orange label - dutch version.
- The Last Farewell - Major Parkhill 5 CD Set .

I always liked the jungle room sessions and i always will ::rocks
For such a connoisseur it is shocking you do not have the Venus series of CD releases covering Presley's Jungle Room work in 1976. I have all five, they are a dream come true for lovers of the Graceland sessions. There is even a version of "Moody Blue" (take 3) exclusive to the series.
FYI. The Last Farewell set, which Johnny2523 listed above, contains the so-called exclusive Moody Blue take 3.
Yes, I am quite aware of that 2015 reissue box set. FYI. You miss a lot of facts in your failed effort to "one up" my post.

The producers of The Last Farewell copied all five CDs issued on the Venus label in 2010 and 2011, including the one with the EXCLUSIVE take of "Moody Blue."

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/solitaire.html

If you had taken the time to study the above "Jungle Room" list I replied to, you would have noticed that many of his entries PRE-DATE the Venus releases. So, for anyone so fanatical about 1976 material, including much repetition, the absence of these titles, which offer so much more wonderful 1976 music is indeed shocking.

Instead of trying to rip on another member, and end up looking stupid, why not contribute to the topic? It's fun. :smt023
So, you find the absence of the Venus releases in Johnny's collection shocking, whilst he has the Final Farewell set, which contains the Venus releases? And I end up looking stupid? Well, that's all fine, Doc. For the sake of this forum, I rest my case.
Last edited by Stvimpe on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lohmax

Post by Lohmax »

TeddyGirl wrote:I like the 'italian' version, ha-ha
Do you mean the I-talian one?

Image Image Image

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

ugh, I despise that re-mix...
elvisalisellers wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:58 am
Always liked the quirky 1984 Dick Bogert remix [Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5] that pushes forward Myrna Smith and Kathy Westmoreland's endearing [live] vocals.

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/Ju23zlU0/file.html

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Buddy

Post by Buddy »

Yeah Moody Blue is indeed to me one
of his best 70s Songs. Pure fun listening to It from the first time in 1977 till today. The way Tutt plays reminds me a bit Barry White arranged his 70s disco killer songs.
With For The Heart, Moody Blue and Way Down Elvis delivered a great trilogy of really fine singles in a row.
Back then I thpught he is really back again recording such great music... but It was too soon over when he passed away.

TWO QUESTIONS:
Was the dubbed UNEDITED master of Moody Blue (Cisco mentioned a few posts ago) already released offically by RCA/Sony? I do just know the UNdubbed UNEDITED master.

2.Was the I-TALIAN version of Moody Blue already released offically by RCA/Sony? I do just know the UNdubbed UNEDITED master. I do not know that what it is all about?

Jokerlola

Post by Jokerlola »

Lonely Summer wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:13 pm
Juan Luis wrote:"Moody Blue" was released thirty-nine years ago today. I remember obtaining my copy from a Woolworth's store. It was not in a picture sleeve, but a generic RCA sleeve. I can only speculate that less picture sleeves were made of singles with no advertising of (as in the case of this single) an available or forthcoming album. A solitary single release, for the time being.
I am really going back into my memory banks now, but the only single I don't remember seeing in a picture sleeve in the 70's was Hurt/For the Heart. I bought it not knowing what either song was, not knowing if there would be an album to follow - things sure were different back in the stone age....uh...uh... I mean the pre-internet age. Was able to buy Promised Land, My Boy, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Bringing it Back, Moody Blue and Way Down with picture sleeves, no problem. Bringing it Back would have been the hardest one to find, never having made the top 40, so not being available at the local stores that only carried the top hits, but thankfully, by that time I had discovered a good music store downtown that carried ALL the new releases - at least anything on the Hot 100.
Commenting on your 5 year old post since the thread was revived in 2021!

From my experience back then, many times when a (Elvis) single was first released, it was usually just in a generic RCA paper sleeve and then a week or 3 later it would be in a picture sleeve. I was very friendly with the owner of the record store I bought most of my Elvis records at in the 70's and he would tell me when the latest Elvis single was expected to be shipped and I would try to buy it that day and they would usually just be in an RCA paper sleeve on the day of shipment. I would usually buy it because I just couldn't wait to listen to it. I would wind up buying a second copy for the picture sleeve a few weeks later. Singles were cheap back then (.50 cents), so I didn't mind buying a single twice just for the picture sleeve. When this did happen, I would never play the picture sleeve single. I actually have several Elvis picture sleeve singles that have never been played on a turntable!

Commenting on another topic of this 5 year old thread:

Disco:
I never considered MB a disco song or even disco flavored at the time it was released but in 1977, A local 3.2 disco nightclub (The Score Minus 2) had a lower level for kids under 18 called (The Underscore). In 1977 me and my friends went there often on Friday nights and I was shocked when they played Moody Blue a few times in the uninterrupted flow they used to play disco songs and it fit right in with the flow! That was when I first realized the disco element to MB. BTW, I still don't consider it a disco song and it still just seems more like a country shuffle or country flavored pop to me but the disco element (or beat) is there.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Jokerlola wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:28 am
Lonely Summer wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:13 pm
I am really going back into my memory banks now, but the only single I don't remember seeing in a picture sleeve in the 70's was Hurt/For the Heart. I bought it not knowing what either song was, not knowing if there would be an album to follow - things sure were different back in the stone age....uh...uh... I mean the pre-internet age. Was able to buy Promised Land, My Boy, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Bringing it Back, Moody Blue and Way Down with picture sleeves, no problem. Bringing it Back would have been the hardest one to find, never having made the top 40, so not being available at the local stores that only carried the top hits, but thankfully, by that time I had discovered a good music store downtown that carried ALL the new releases - at least anything on the Hot 100.
Commenting on your 5 year old post since the thread was revived in 2021!

From my experience back then, many times when a (Elvis) single was first released, it was usually just in a generic RCA paper sleeve and then a week or 3 later it would be in a picture sleeve. I was very friendly with the owner of the record store I bought most of my Elvis records at in the 70's and he would tell me when the latest Elvis single was expected to be shipped and I would try to buy it that day and they would usually just be in an RCA paper sleeve on the day of shipment. I would usually buy it because I just couldn't wait to listen to it. I would wind up buying a second copy for the picture sleeve a few weeks later. Singles were cheap back then (.50 cents), so I didn't mind buying a single twice just for the picture sleeve. When this did happen, I would never play the picture sleeve single. I actually have several Elvis picture sleeve singles that have never been played on a turntable!

Commenting on another topic of this 5 year old thread:

Disco:
I never considered MB a disco song or even disco flavored at the time it was released but in 1977, A local 3.2 disco nightclub (The Score Minus 2) had a lower level for kids under 18 called (The Underscore). In 1977 me and my friends went there often on Friday nights and I was shocked when they played Moody Blue a few times in the uninterrupted flow they used to play disco songs and it fit right in with the flow! That was when I first realized the disco element to MB. BTW, I still don't consider it a disco song and it still just seems more like a country shuffle or country flavored pop to me but the disco element (or beat) is there.

That’s interesting; I didn’t know that happened. I do remember hearing “Way Down” sounding powerful in a local disco during 1977-78, but there may be an different explanation for that. Going back to “Moody Blue,” in the UK the single was given extra airplay on radio. I think it was to recognise another unique or rare achievement from Elvis – 100 Elvis releases or something like that. I don’t know for sure. The track was on the legendary “Top of the Pops” tv programme. On there, Flick Colby, choreographer for the nation’s favourite dance group, “Legs and Co,” did not need much creative interpretation on this occasion, as the dancers seemed to have found it straightforward to work with the groove. I believe Mark James’s original also has a hi-hat; yet his version still sounded more twangy than the Graceland version. Remarkable, really, what Elvis could bring out of a song.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Still anjoying moody blue almost 45 years later!

-instagram kenh1964

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

The Stones real last big blockbuster was 1989's Steel Wheels and they had several albums Throughout the eighties that's still charted high and sold well. And let's not forget the 2002 release of their greatest hits, "Forty Licks" went number one and 4x Platinum. And They still had a couple albums going into the nineties, Still selling and charting well in the middle of the grunge era.

Ultimately, the comment made above is completely mis-informed and erroneous.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

elvinda58

Post by elvinda58 »

Moody Blue was like a breath of fresh air for Elvis in the U.K as it was his first top 10 single that was not a re-release since Promised Land in early 1975.It did not seem out of place in the charts and was described as country-disco by the Record Mirror.I liked the B side as well which i knew from an Anne Murray LP which was done with a more simpler arrangement than the Elvis one but both versions are enjoyable to listen to.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

This track is really bittersweet for me.

My wife adored this song.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The song has always been a fave of mine and will ever be.