Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

a mess of polk salad
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Re: Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Post by a mess of polk salad »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, when I saw for the first time Aloha many years ago at first I was very excited in the beginning of the concert. C.C. Rider and Burning Love - I thought how good was Elvis again in rock and roll music. But as the show went on, I became more and more disappointed. Something (how bad version comparing to The Beatles), You Gave Me a Mountain, My Way, Welcome to My World were not the songs what I expected from Elvis to sing in a worldwide TV show.
Many felt the same way.
And even more so didn´t...
No doubt many were thrilled to hear Elvis Presley sing "Welcome to My World" in that 1973 TV concert.
What's wrong with WTMW - I love it! It's a classic...

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

A classic of Jim Reeves.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
a mess of polk salad wrote:What's wrong with WTMW - I love it!.
The song Welcome To My World, fits perfectly "The King Of Rock ´n Roll"! 8).

Discovered this song when I bought the LP with the same title back in 1977 :smt020. OMG how time flies, almost 40 years ago.... :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

a mess of polk salad
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Love it and I do enjoy both versions from Aloha & the rehearsal...with the slightly different phrasing and lyrics ...

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

a mess of polk salad wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, when I saw for the first time Aloha many years ago at first I was very excited in the beginning of the concert. C.C. Rider and Burning Love - I thought how good was Elvis again in rock and roll music. But as the show went on, I became more and more disappointed. Something (how bad version comparing to The Beatles), You Gave Me a Mountain, My Way, Welcome to My World were not the songs what I expected from Elvis to sing in a worldwide TV show.
Many felt the same way.
And even more so didn´t...
No doubt many were thrilled to hear Elvis Presley sing "Welcome to My World" in that 1973 TV concert.
What's wrong with WTMW - I love it! It's a classic...
It's not an Elvis Presley classic, and it's one of the more boring songs from the "Aloha" special. It was one of several "easy" country numbers chosen specifically to be quick to learn and perform, and allow the performance to feature "new" material.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

How nieve of me to think this post was about "My Boy". The second - the first one disaapeared I assume because the abuse was getting silly.

So please guys, lets keep this on topic - "WLTMW" is nothing to do with "My Boy".

Lastly, and back on topic, today I played the "King Holds Court" set (brilliant). Immediately preceding every performance of 'My Boy' that I have heard from summer '73 (which is quite a few), Elvis said: "I'd like to sing a song for you, which was done by Richard Harris - it is has beautiful words and it's called "My Boy".

The song does have beautiful words, and Elvis was drawn to lyrically meaningful songs, as we know - especially those with which he identified with personally; with 'My Boy', replace the word "boy" with "girl" and to Elvis the song almost certainly became personal. Elvis' version may have been a little on the bombastic side, but it was still a fine performance of a beautiful song and any debate as to whether or not he liked it, or how much he liked it, is in my view a futile waste of time.

Discussung whether or not Elvis liked "Yoga Is As Yga Does" or "Old Macdonald" makes as much sense yo me as debating whether or not Elvis liked "My Boy".

My view.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

GLAISTER wrote:....and Elvis was drawn to lyrically meaningful songs, as we know - especially those with which he identified with personally; with 'My Boy', replace the word "boy" with "girl" and to Elvis the song almost certainly became personal.
It is unclear why a faction of fans on this forum continue to assert this erroneous line of reasoning time and time again. Even if one switches out the boy for a girl, the lyrical content still has no parallel to Elvis' life. The song is recited from the perspective of a man contemplating leaving a wife and child, yet ultimately stays to spare the child from pain -- Elvis never contemplated leaving Priscilla once Lisa Marie was born only to stay for Lisa Marie, and it was Priscilla who left Elvis and took custody of his daughter. Love had not "finally died" between Elvis and Priscilla; if there ever was a true love shared between the two, it fizzled out during the 1960's, likely way before Lisa Marie was born. Elvis clearly was lying to himself if he shared the song's sentiment that God knew he had "tried" -- Elvis had been uncommitted and unfaithful throughout his relationship with Priscilla. How did he "lose every game?" He was one of the most successful entertainers of all-time. And again, he did not "stay" and watch his child grow. Some fans read way too much into the song trying to assert that it "certainly became personal" to Elvis. Elvis was attracted to melancholy songs, but that doesn't mean the lyrical content had a direct connection or parallel to his own existence.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Artistic license peppered with a little ego-salving self-delusion, 2 traits that Presley was well capable of demonstrating. Elvis identified with the song, even if it was far from a perfect fit. That's a pretty safe bet.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:....and Elvis was drawn to lyrically meaningful songs, as we know - especially those with which he identified with personally; with 'My Boy', replace the word "boy" with "girl" and to Elvis the song almost certainly became personal.
It is unclear why a faction of fans on this forum continue to assert this erroneous line of reasoning time and time again. Even if one switches out the boy for a girl, the lyrical content still has no parallel to Elvis' life. The song is recited from the perspective of a man contemplating leaving a wife and child, yet ultimately stays to spare the child from pain -- Elvis never contemplated leaving Priscilla once Lisa Marie was born only to stay for Lisa Marie, and it was Priscilla who left Elvis and took custody of his daughter. Love had not "finally died" between Elvis and Priscilla; if there ever was a true love shared between the two, it fizzled out during the 1960's, likely way before Lisa Marie was born. Elvis clearly was lying to himself if he shared the song's sentiment that God knew he had "tried" -- Elvis had been uncommitted and unfaithful throughout his relationship with Priscilla. How did he "lose every game?" He was one of the most successful entertainers of all-time. And again, he did not "stay" and watch his child grow. Some fans read way too much into the song trying to assert that it "certainly became personal" to Elvis. Elvis was attracted to melancholy songs, but that doesn't mean the lyrical content had a direct connection or parallel to his own existence.
There may be too much truth in that analysis for some to process.

By the way, your keen analysis shows you've clearly spent a lot of time listening to "My Boy."

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

midnightx wrote:
I agree with half of what you say. As you say, and you're probably correct, whatever love Elvis and Priscilla had "fizzled out" during the '60's. One of the things I have never really understood is that Pricsilla was marrying probably, sex-symbol-wise, the most sought after man in the world at the time she married him, and she knew what she was getting. If she really expected him to be faithful, with all due respect to her she was delusional.

Humility has to kick in here. Elvis was young - and nieve for his age. Naturally, he was looking for a mother replacement and in 'Cilla he thought he had found her. But as we now know, pressure from the Colonel is one of the reasons Elvis got married in the first place. Priscilla was also young and as I am sure everyone over the age of 30 on this forum will concede, we all make mistakes when we are "young and stupid" and we have all been there in one way or another.

A personal question: are you divorced? If so, did you have children with your ex-wife? Have you ever been through the hellish, tearful emotionallly exhausting experience of watching your child sleeping at 2 in the morning knowing you have tried your best to make your family work but that it just ain't happening ? If so - then you can relate (as I do). If not then you have to empathise. There's no proof, but I challenge anyone here to tell me that they honestly believe Elvis did not have these moments and, just as 'Mama Liked The Roses' made an emotional connection for Elvis with his mother, I believe 'My Boy' spoke to Elvis personally precisely because he had these moments, and which is why he recorded this kind of song. I am convinced of it.

Of course Elvis related to songs personally. We now know Priscilla officially left Elvis in February '72 (as she retells in her book) and weeks later Elvis is recording 'Seperate Ways', 'For The Good Times' and 'Always On My Mind', and it's not like these three songs were part of a session that produced 10 or 12 songs with a half a dozen rockers (as in June '70). It is clear - crystal clear - that Elvis recorded these songs to express what he was feeling.

From my own point of view, I love all these meloncholy songs that Elvis did and he was brilliant at doing them. But I don't listen to them too much because I am divorced, they are too close to "home" for me, and I have been in that situation where you have to kiss your children goodbye when your access is finished, and it is gut wrenching. Elvis knew that feeling, 'My Boy' helped him express it.

Anyway, this is my view. It's also straying into Elvis' personal life, which I don't like doing because it is none of my business, but asserting that Elvis didn't relate to songs like 'My Boy' personally is a flawed argument in my opinion.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Never get tired of the song, neither "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from Elvis On Tour, 1972..... 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Never tire of seeing this performance either, Mike!!! It's one of my favorites!!!

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
r&b wrote:It been said here time and time again, that he had a vast enough catalog to change up the show for each tour or Vegas season. Believe me no one would have missed My Way or Sweet Caroline, retreads of Caroline, Bridge, Mountain etc, , got very stale & predictable
Love those summer 1970 versions of Sweet Caroline, flawless! :smt020. Never get tired of the song, neither "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from Elvis On Tour, 1972..... 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Great, great memories!!!! Gosh that man could sing and entertain!!! The greatest singing voice!!!!

rlj

LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

If talking about soundboard recordings I have to say 28/8-74 as I really like that Vegas season and this version of My Boy.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

LSP-4445 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:38 am wrote:If talking about soundboard recordings I have to say 28/8-74 as I really like that Vegas season and this version of My Boy.
well it was the only 1974 performance

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

merry77

Post by merry77 »

I like the March 1975 versions. There are some great endings of my boy with Elvis singing it out in that season.

Joined this board exactly 30 years after Elvis show in Phoenix, Arizona to celebrate this wonderful fact.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

the live version as per the great Dixieland Rocks ftd.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Resurrecting a thread on among the worst of the bombastic Humperdinck style ballads. Answer was and will remain there are none.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

fn2drive on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:09 am wrote:Resurrecting a thread on among the worst of the bombastic Humperdinck style ballads. Answer was and will remain there are none.

In your own retarded opinion of course.

why keep on about englebert farking humperdink for ? Give it a rest, dickbrain.

And what's wrong with a member 'resurrecting a thread' ?
Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSP-4445

Post by LSP-4445 »

YDKM on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:37 pm wrote:
LSP-4445 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:38 am wrote:If talking about soundboard recordings I have to say 28/8-74 as I really like that Vegas season and this version of My Boy.
well it was the only 1974 performance
I know.

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

The earlier versions definitely surpasses the latter.

Keep on Rockin'

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

fn2drive is NOT going to be happy about this.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

DakotaKid

Post by DakotaKid »

Is he still around? I was hoping he had taken his negativity elsewhere.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Probably already mentioned but the version on dixieland delight is my favourite

Every opinion is my own, unless stated otherwise.

I overuse brackets as well

Buddy

Post by Buddy »

@Juan Luis:
A pitty that your nice topic about "My Boy" is so destroyed with all these silly answers which had nothing to do with that beautiful song.

I remember coming back from a trip to scotland around 1978 where I found and bought in Edinburgh the " good times" album.
At home- while listening to it - I was thrilled hearing "My Boy" for the very first time. I was so flashed. What a beautiful melody sung so outstanding good... a masterpiece.

Many years later I bought the Almost On My Mind CD. The remixed version on it again blew me away.... Sounds more drramatic and is my favorite .

A few years later I invited my ex-girlfriend to a candle light dinner. At her arriving the AOMM album was playing.
While I was in the kitchen cooking for her, she waited in my living room.
When I came into it to bring her a drink, I found her sitting there with tears in her eyes. Oh my god, I thought to my self "the evening seems to be over now"

Asking her "what happened?" She answered "nothing, it is just that song which is on your CD player. It is the sadest song I have ever heard, who is it?!"
"So sorry" I've said 'I will stop it immediatly" ....but sie replied quickly: "no no please do it again" : - )

Till now the only time I saw a girl crying because of something I made "wrong"... but the whole story ended so, that the very next day she went to a record shop buying the album.

Live versions:
I think Elvis studio master with the tremendous overdubs is still unreachable till now. But IF I had to choose one than definitly one of the early 73 versions like the August 20, 1973 one (Monday - Midnight Show) in Las Vegas, as included on "A Profile: The King On Stage Volume 1 CD. which comes quickly to my mind ....