Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter

Re: Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Post by drjohncarpenter »

jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, when I saw for the first time Aloha many years ago at first I was very excited in the beginning of the concert. See, See, Rider and Burning Love - I thought how good was Elvis again in rock and roll music. But as the show went on, I became more and more disappointed. Something (how bad version comparing to The Beatles), You Gave Me a Mountain, My Way, Welcome to My World were not the songs what I expected from Elvis to sing in a worldwide TV show.
Many felt the same way.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, when I saw for the first time Aloha many years ago at first I was very excited in the beginning of the concert. See, See, Rider and Burning Love - I thought how good was Elvis again in rock and roll music. But as the show went on, I became more and more disappointed. Something (how bad version comparing to The Beatles), You Gave Me a Mountain, My Way, Welcome to My World were not the songs what I expected from Elvis to sing in a worldwide TV show.
Many felt the same way.
And even more so didn´t...

drjohncarpenter

Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, when I saw for the first time Aloha many years ago at first I was very excited in the beginning of the concert. C.C. Rider and Burning Love - I thought how good was Elvis again in rock and roll music. But as the show went on, I became more and more disappointed. Something (how bad version comparing to The Beatles), You Gave Me a Mountain, My Way, Welcome to My World were not the songs what I expected from Elvis to sing in a worldwide TV show.
Many felt the same way.
No doubt many were thrilled to hear Elvis Presley sing "Welcome to My World" in that 1973 TV concert.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drjohncarpenter wrote:No doubt many were thrilled to hear Elvis Presley sing "Welcome to My World" in that 1973 TV concert.
Love this song :smt020. It´s a rarity in the Elvis music catalogue, he only sang it live 3 times (January 12/14, 1973 & December 13th, 1975)..... :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

'Welcome To My World' was also used to advertise the Elvis DeAgostini magazines here in the U.K..

I like it...a lot.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

!
f2ndrive:
Please refrain from trying to "make waves", "Stir the hornet's nest", or attempting to derail a topic. If a member annoys you, add them to your foe list. If they are breaking the guidelines click the "!" icon to report the post. This is your final warning. Please review the guidelines.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

20th August 73 from the profile box

-instagram kenh1964

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

!
Scarre:
Leave the moderating to the moderators, please. If a member annoys you, add them to your foe list. If they are breaking the guidelines click the "!" icon to report the post. This is your final warning.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

!
Hard Rocker:
Leave the moderating to the moderators, please. If a member annoys you, add them to your foe list. If they are breaking the guidelines click the "!" icon to report the post. This is your final warning.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, when I saw for the first time Aloha many years ago at first I was very excited in the beginning of the concert. C.C. Rider and Burning Love - I thought how good was Elvis again in rock and roll music. But as the show went on, I became more and more disappointed. Something (how bad version comparing to The Beatles), You Gave Me a Mountain, My Way, Welcome to My World were not the songs what I expected from Elvis to sing in a worldwide TV show.
Many felt the same way.
No doubt many were thrilled to hear Elvis Presley sing "Welcome to My World" in that 1973 TV concert.
While it's far from what we wanted to see him singing, he did look pretty good singing it!! :wink:

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Fans who complain that Elvis didn't perform more of his own hits live in the '70s are funny. If he had, the same fans would be complaining he just kept singing the same old songs instead of new material.

drjohncarpenter

Ken Jensen wrote:Fans who complain that Elvis didn't perform more of his own hits live in the '70s are funny. If he had, the same fans would be complaining he just kept singing the same old songs instead of new material.
That's not really the complaint. The regret is that Elvis made his astonishing legacy secondary to contemporary hits done by others.

Unless he treated a set primarily full of his own work with the carelessness that was a hallmark of 1970s renditions of "Hound Dog" or "Blue Suede Shoes," no one would have complained. And, if he switched it up from show to show, or tour to tour, given the hundreds of options he had to sift through, that would have made the gigs even more memorable.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

Like I said in the earlier thread, I can't tell which is the 'best' live version of My Boy as I only have versions of it on FTD Big Boss Man and Dixieland Rocks. But I'm happy with both of them, though I prefer My Boy on the latter FTD. Now I think about it, maybe I have another live version of it. Aha, yes, it's on disc 4 of the box Elvis Live in Las Vegas. That's also a nice one.

I didn't know the problem some fans have with My Boy is that big. Wow... I respect their opinion and I hope they respect mine as well. I wouldn't rank My Boy amongst Elvis' finest recordings, certainly not, and I don't play it that often, but I do enjoy the song when it pops up. And I rarely skip it.

Cheers & don't be cruel ;-) We are all Elvis fans, after all.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

keninlincs wrote:20th August 73 from the profile box
I got that box. Bought it about 2 years ago for 50 euros.. hopefully one day i will find the other box for a nice price too

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Once again we have this suggestion that Elvis was performing more songs by other people than he was performing songs from his own legacy. So, let's settle this once and for
all.

Here's the challenge, come up with a single track list from 1969 onwards where Elvis sang more songs that he had never recorded in the studio or for a live album, than those that he had previously recorded.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Ken Jensen wrote:Fans who complain that Elvis didn't perform more of his own hits live in the '70s are funny. If he had, the same fans would be complaining he just kept singing the same old songs instead of new material.
Excellent point, well said. ::rocks

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Totally not so. It been said here time and time again, that he had a vast enough catalog to change up the show for each tour or Vegas season. Perhaps the beat and most varied catalog of any performer out there. Believe me no one would have missed My Way or Sweet Caroline one bit if he mixed in a few of his own songs from each decade, even movie songs, with each new tour . A cover of a meaningful new current song would have been no problem then. But retreads of Caroline, Bridge, Mountain etc, , got very stale & predictable

Topic author
Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

r&b wrote:
Totally not so. It been said here time and time again, that he had a vast enough catalog to change up the show for each tour or Vegas season. Perhaps the beat and most varied catalog of any performer out there. Believe me no one would have missed My Way or Sweet Caroline one bit if he mixed in a few of his own songs from each decade, even movie songs, with each new tour . A cover of a meaningful new current song would have been no problem then. But retreads of Caroline, Bridge, Mountain etc, , got very stale & predictable
That I can understand. More variation in his set list, especially in the later years, would have been nice. A better mix of own recordings from each decade. Still, he did some fine covers as well, imo. Like Bridge, Proud Marie, Polk Salad Annie, Mountain. But I get the point: he could have dropped at least some covers in favour of own material from 50s, 60s, 70s. Why not Hard Headed Woman or Got A Lot O Livin' To Do, Young and Beautiful or I Was The One. Why not Stuck On You, Surrender, It Hurts Me, etc. I'd love to have him seen do that as well live on stage. But it is what it is. And whilst it could have been better, there's still plenty to cherish from his live shows, I'll. Cheers!
Last edited by Stvimpe on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
r&b wrote:It been said here time and time again, that he had a vast enough catalog to change up the show for each tour or Vegas season. Believe me no one would have missed My Way or Sweet Caroline, retreads of Caroline, Bridge, Mountain etc, , got very stale & predictable
Love those summer 1970 versions of Sweet Caroline, flawless! :smt020. Never get tired of the song, neither "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from Elvis On Tour, 1972..... 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:
And how many people were going to concert after concert to know? We weren't meant to hear 1000 concerts of Elvis. What's more Bridge was included in TTWII and on the album (recorded in the studio), and Mountain was included in On Tour and Aloha - a #1 album. You seem to forget that these were now part of the Elvis repertoire, just as all the covers he recorded in the 50s were.

Topic author
Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
r&b wrote:
And how many people were going to concert after concert to know? We weren't meant to hear 1000 concerts of Elvis. What's more Bridge was included in TTWII and on the album (recorded in the studio), and Mountain was included in On Tour and Aloha - a #1 album. You seem to forget that these were now part of the Elvis repertoire, just as all the covers he recorded in the 50s were.
That's also true. Still, his act could have benefited from a little more variation, esp. in the later concert years.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Right there.

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:Once again we have this suggestion that Elvis was performing more songs by other people than he was performing songs from his own legacy.
There has been no such suggestion. However, in a reply to Ken Jensen I wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The regret is that Elvis made his astonishing legacy secondary to contemporary hits done by others.

Once again, we have you misreading someone else's post, and from this you create a faux debate. It has happened so consistently, and for so long, across so many discussions, it cannot be by accident. I find it offensive it continues, especially after having it pointed out to you multiple times.

Please stop doing this.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Once again we have this suggestion that Elvis was performing more songs by other people than he was performing songs from his own legacy.
There has been no such suggestion. However, in a reply to Ken Jensen I wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The regret is that Elvis made his astonishing legacy secondary to contemporary hits done by others.
Thus it is very easy to reach the conclusion poormadpeter2 arrived at. Advisedly, if you wish to avoid being "offended"(!!!) by a reasonable and well-made response to an entirely obtuse comment from yourself, perhaps you should choose your words more carefully. Just a thought.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

That is a baseless assumption to make. The complaint that Elvis did not perform more of his own material and hits is often raised because of the fact that Elvis frequently ignored his vast body of high quality work in favor of lesser-quality cover songs or hits made by others. Why perform two Olivia Newton-John covers in place of his own catalogue at his disposal? A large faction a fans wished Elvis would have cared more about his own body of work. And when he did frequently play an "old song" like Hound Dog, the complaint is not that he was playing Hound Dog, it was that he tossed it away with no respect for the arrangement or the legacy of the song.

The primary argument is not that Elvis kept "singing the same old songs" and rarely has anyone argued that he should have been singing "new material." At the very least, Elvis had a significant catalogue of music from his 1950's and 1960's body of work to choose from, if not some intriguing cuts from this 1970's output. He could have kept it fresh night after night by interchanging various tracks, with tasteful, focused arrangements. Had Elvis performed an hour of material from his own vast catalogue with attention and care, it is unlikely that people would have complained. Why would they? "If only he would stopped performing all the hit material and quality album cuts from his own catalogue and busted out an Englebert Humperdinck cover, or Olivia Newton-John cover, or a Richard Harris cover, or a Roger Whittaker cover! Or at the very least, have played "newer" material from Raised On Rock and From Elvis Presley Blvd.!" Somehow, it is hard to imagine many fans making any such assertions.