Will Smith....

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Will Smith....

Post by Dan_T »

Who saw Will Smith punch Chris Rock last night ?

What a Arsehole he's made himself look. Chris Rock didn't deserve that.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Re: Will Smith....

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

It's getting loads of coverage here right now (monday arvo).

I did not see the incident or the news as yet but reports say that ROCK was poking fun at SMITH's wife over her loss of hair rare condition.

I think most of us would have reacted the same way if we were in Will SMITH position.

Maybe the academy awards should ban Chris Rock.

Topic author
Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Will Smith was laughing until he see his wife's face, she took offence. Which is her right, but he had no right to walk up there and thump him, in my opinion. It's assault.

Using the part he'd played, probably a year or so ago now, as an excuse is no excuse.

I'm amazed at how Chris Rock kept his cool. They're saying now he may be stripped of the award.

Topic author
Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

When you think what Ricky Gervais has gotten away with as the presenter of these award shows !

Apparently, security went in to overdrive wondering how to deal with it because Smith had brought at least 20 people with him. Thought it would all kick off.

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by iplayastrat »

Dan_T wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:48 am

What a Arsehole he's made himself look. Chris Rock didn't deserve that.
I don't know about that. I think Rock had it coming.

It didn't look like much of a punch. Frame by frame,
it almost looks like it was planned. Who knows?

My escape from society continues...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Dan_T wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:50 am
Will Smith was laughing until he see his wife's face, she took offence. Which is her right, but he had no right to walk up there and thump him, in my opinion. It's assault.

Using the part he'd played, probably a year or so ago now, as an excuse is no excuse.

I'm amazed at how Chris Rock kept his cool. They're saying now he may be stripped of the award.
Yeah, just seen it on our 6 PM news and yes, as you say, Will appeared to be taking Rock's joke until he he glanced over his wife reaction, then he snapped.

Whatever, Smith apologizes in his acceptance speech, but not to ROCK and was remorseful over it. I thought Chris Rock handled the moment very well. Technically he could press assault charge. But two wrongs don't make a right. Has Rock offered any kind of apology to Jada Picket Smith ? He should.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Denzel's a class act...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/will-smith-denzel-washington-oscars-2022-b2045357.html

Will Smith has revealed what Denzel Washington said to him immediately after he hit Chris Rock at the Oscars.

During the ceremony, Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, while he was presenting an award.

“Jada, I love you. GI Jane 2, can’t wait to see you,” Rock said, in seeming reference to Pinkett Smith’s shaved head.

Last year, Pinkett Smith announced she had shaved her head after being diagnosed with alopecia.

Smith walked onto the stage and hit Rock, before returning to his seat and shouting: “Keep my wife’s name out your f***ing mouth.”

Immediately after, fellow actors Denzel Washington and Tyler Perry could be seen speaking to Smith, appearing to comfort him.

When Smith won Best Actor for King Richard 15 minutes later, he referenced a piece of advice Washington had just given him.

“I’m being called on in my life to love people and to protect people and to be a river to my people,” Smith said. “I know, to do what we do, we’ve gotta be able to take abuse. You’ve gotta be able to have people talk crazy about you. In this business, you’ve gotta be able to have people disrespecting you. You’ve gotta smile and pretend that that’s okay.

He then revealed what “Denzel said to me a few minutes ago”, adding Washington said: “‘In your highest moments, be careful, that’s when the devil comes for you’.”

Earlier in the ceremony, Regina Hall – who is hosting the ceremony alongside Amy Schumer and Wanda Sykes – poked fun at Smith and Pinkett Smith’s marriage. The couple could be seen laughing in response.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Sometimes, people need to be smacked. I'm not saying do it, but they need to be.

Just this past weekend I was in Walmart and someone started smarting off to me for cutting in line. It was no big deal, as I just had a couple of items and they looked like they were in no hurry. I put up with the smart remarks and insults for a couple of minutes and then I'd had enough. Out of frustration, I just turned and threw a punch.

It almost knocked her out of her wheelchair.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

The problem is making fun out of people, or insulting people, who are not able to fight back. And Rock clearly thought that was the case at the Oscars. He assumed that Smith would just shrug it off. He'd never answer back in front of millions of people watching. He'd laugh along and pretend it was funny.

But he didn't.
Rock miscalculated.

It all depends on how much you are willing to lose in order to protect your family, friends or even yourself.

We have similar situations on this very forum, and all over the internet, too. The aggressor thinks they can get away with what they say because the other person has too much to lose if they fight back. But sometimes a miscalculation happens, and the sh*t hits the fan.

Sadly, the result is that the Smiths of this world end up looking like the aggressor rather than the victim, and the snarky, so-called comedian who has to resort to personal insults to get attention ends up walking away with his hands in the air saying "I just made a joke, it's the other guy that lost it."

In the end, both men lost their dignity. I doubt either will lose their career - although one has to wonder if a career is already on the slide if a joke needs to be made about autoimmune diseases.

And, for the record, if anyone makes a joke about my autoimmune, my 87 year old mother will have her handbag at the ready, with a brick inside.

You have been warned.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by BrianTCB »

Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:15 pm
Sometimes, people need to be smacked. I'm not saying do it, but they need to be.

Just this past weekend I was in Walmart and someone started smarting off to me for cutting in line. It was no big deal, as I just had a couple of items and they looked like they were in no hurry. I put up with the smart remarks and insults for a couple of minutes and then I'd had enough. Out of frustration, I just turned and threw a punch.

Sorry to the Will Smith haters, but Rob is right. Chris Rock deserved it. So why is Chris Rock absolved of all guilt of being an ***hole? It's a ridiculous, misogynistic double standard.

pmp

Post by pmp »

BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:33 pm
Rob wrote:

Sorry to the Will Smith haters, but Rob is right. Chris Rock deserved it. So why is Chris Rock absolved of all guilt of being an ***hole? It's a ridiculous, misogynistic double standard.
Indeed. And this has also been taken out of context. Smith and his family have been at the butt of jokes during the entire awards season. Words have consequences. Sometimes physical ones.

Meanwhile, it seems a little odd to me that last night Hollywood celebrated James Bond, a film franchise that has glorified hundreds of people being shot, knifed, strangled, tortured and blown up....and yet it's shocked by a slap across the face.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by BrianTCB »

pmp wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:36 pm
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

Indeed. And this has also been taken out of context. Smith and his family have been at the butt of jokes during the entire awards season. Words have consequences. Sometimes physical ones.

Meanwhile, it seems a little odd to me that last night Hollywood celebrated James Bond, a film franchise that has glorified hundreds of people being shot, knifed, strangled, tortured and blown up....and yet it's shocked by a slap across the face.
I think the main difference is that James Bond is fiction, full of pretend props and pretend violence, and this incident was real (not staged).

pmp

Post by pmp »

BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:42 pm
pmp wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:36 pm
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think the main difference is that James Bond is fiction, full of pretend props and pretend violence, and this incident was real (not staged).
Of course. But my point is that Hollywood has traded on violence for 110 years. It's rather hypocritical for them to then say its not ok to slap someone who insulted your wife. It's a town that loves violence and rakes in billions of pounds off the back of it. And no matter what the Oscar organisers may say publicly, they loved every second of that altercation, and were no doubt rubbing their hands in glee.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

Right... so what's next? People go spend an evening out watching a comedian perform and some guy gets offended, takes out a gun and shoots the comedian. Is that OK too? He's a f*cking comedian... it's his job to make jokes and make fun of people. Will Smith has serious anger issues. His actions were disgusting...
Worse than that, the entire audience treated him like nothing ever happened... and people wonder how Weinstein got away with the sh*t he's pulled over the years... people in Hollywood have no appreciation for reality or how to conduct themselves.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Both of them showed lack of class, each in their different way. I am not watching any of the two in future, thay're not worth it.

pmp

Post by pmp »

elvis-fan wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:03 pm
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

Right... so what's next? People go spend an evening out watching a comedian perform and some guy gets offended, takes out a gun and shoots the comedian. Is that OK too? He's a f*cking comedian... it's his job to make jokes and make fun of people. Will Smith has serious anger issues. His actions were disgusting...
Worse than that, the entire audience treated him like nothing ever happened... and people wonder how Weinstein got away with the sh*t he's pulled over the years... people in Hollywood have no appreciation for reality or how to conduct themselves.
No. It's his job to make jokes. It's not his job to make fun of people's health condition. And this wasn't a one-off incident. Smith and his family have been the butt of jokes throughout the award season. And they have been the butt of Chris Rock's routines for at least six years.

And there is a vast difference between a repeat sexual offender and a man slapping someone for poking fun at his wife's health condition.

The truth is that Rock is a comedian who is no longer relevant, and has failed to move with the times - still stuck in the 1990s when it was a different world and the work of comedians was far different from what it is now. The only weapon he has now is to strike out at other people.

But here's the question:

Rock was making a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith's health condition. And that's apparently OK - according to you. Would you have felt the same way about him making a joke about Liza Minnelli being in a wheelchair and needing to be prompted throughout her appearance by Lady Gaga?

If not, why is one joke fine and then other not?

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

pmp wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:27 pm
elvis-fan wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

No. It's his job to make jokes. It's not his job to make fun of people's health condition. And this wasn't a one-off incident. Smith and his family have been the butt of jokes throughout the award season. And they have been the butt of Chris Rock's routines for at least six years.

The truth is that Rock is a comedian who is no longer relevant, and has failed to move with the times - still stuck in the 1990s when it was a different world and the work of comedians was far different from what it is now. The only weapon he has now is to strike out at other people.

But here's the question:

Rock was making a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith's health condition. And that's apparently OK - according to you. Would you have felt the same way about him making a joke about Liza Minnelli being in a wheelchair and needing to be prompted throughout her appearance by Lady Gaga?

Your argument is baseless because you're trying to justify an assault. And no, Chris was making a joke about her shaved head... and perhaps it was in poor taste but does that mean Will Smith is justified in assaulting Chris? And that's exactly what it was. If that was anybody else, they would have thrown his ass out or even in jail... but because it Will Smith everyone just laughs it off.

And that was interesting choice of words above... you actually said Chris was the one that was striking out at other people??? What were you watching?

pmp

Post by pmp »

elvis-fan wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:36 pm
pmp wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

But here's the question:

Your argument is baseless because you're trying to justify an assault. And no, Chris was making a joke about her shaved head... and perhaps it was in poor taste but does that mean Will Smith is justified in assaulting Chris? And that's exactly what it was. If that was anybody else, they would have thrown his ass out or even in jail... but because it Will Smith everyone just laughs it off.

And that was interesting choice of words above... you actually said Chris was the one that was striking out at other people??? What were you watching?
You didn't answer my question about the Liza Minnelli comparison. Would such a joke have been ok? And, let's be honest, had he made such a joke, he may well have got a lot worse than a slap from Lady Gaga.

And I very much doubt that a slap on the face is going to cause anyone to end up in jail.

Smith's shaved head was because of her health condition. Therefore the joke was about the health condition. Would it have been fine to make the same joke if she had had chemo, for example?

We get so used to insults online - including this very forum - that we believe they have no affect, because we don't get to SEE the effect.

The "right to offend" is an utter bullsh*t defence from people who don't understand that there are times to keep their traps shut, and that offending people is no longer seen as a way to make money.

Whether Rock was striking out verbally or physically is immaterial. He chose to make that joke. He knew that he and Will Smith didn't get on in the first place. He knew Will Smith was in the audience. He also knew how protective Smith is over his family, and always has been.

Rock struck out first, despite knowing all of that. He might not be much of a comedian, but he'd win a prize for being an idiot.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

It was the second lowest viewership since Nielsen started tabulating the awards in the seventies. 14 million watched it, then add the 42 million views garnered by the youtube showing the slap. This is peanuts...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/oscars-tv-ratings-sunday-march-27-2022-1235120758/
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egilj
Registered for: 14 years

Post by egilj »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:10 am
It's getting loads of coverage here right now (monday arvo).

I did not see the incident or the news as yet but reports say that ROCK was poking fun at SMITH's wife over her loss of hair rare condition.

I think most of us would have reacted the same way if we were in Will SMITH position.

Maybe the academy awards should ban Chris Rock.
Judging by the posts here, you're probably right, but I don't think most people would react in the same manner. I'm a bit surprised that verbal abuse justifies physical violence to so many here.

When he hits somemone on prime time television, he's probably hit before. But I'm sure they all deserved it :facep:

You guys shouldn't be surprise that there's wars in this world. Take a good look in the mirror.
Last edited by egilj on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:53 pm
It was the second lowest viewership since Nielsen started tabulating the awards in the seventies. 14 million watched it, then add the 39 million who have thus far watched ther slap on you tube. This is peanuts...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/oscars-tv-ratings-sunday-march-27-2022-1235120758/
It was 30% up on last year. That's not peanuts. Plus you're only counting the US audience.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

pmp wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:55 pm
Jaime1234 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:53 pm
It was the second lowest viewership since Nielsen started tabulating the awards in the seventies. 14 million watched it, then add the 39 million who have thus far watched ther slap on you tube. This is peanuts...

It was 30% up on last year. That's not peanuts. Plus you're only counting the US audience.
It is peanuts when you compare that with what the folks at Madison Avenue had to pay for a minute's commercial.

egilj

Post by egilj »

pmp wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:49 pm
elvis-fan wrote:
pmp wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

But here's the question:

You didn't answer my question about the Liza Minnelli comparison. Would such a joke have been ok? And, let's be honest, had he made such a joke, he may well have got a lot worse than a slap from Lady Gaga.

And I very much doubt that a slap on the face is going to cause anyone to end up in jail.

Smith's shaved head was because of her health condition. Therefore the joke was about the health condition. Would it have been fine to make the same joke if she had had chemo, for example?

We get so used to insults online - including this very forum - that we believe they have no affect, because we don't get to SEE the effect.

The "right to offend" is an utter bullsh*t defence from people who don't understand that there are times to keep their traps shut, and that offending people is no longer seen as a way to make money.

Whether Rock was striking out verbally or physically is immaterial. He chose to make that joke. He knew that he and Will Smith didn't get on in the first place. He knew Will Smith was in the audience. He also knew how protective Smith is over his family, and always has been.

Rock struck out first, despite knowing all of that. He might not be much of a comedian, but he'd win a prize for being an idiot.
Ok, offending should be illegal, violence should be legalised. Good luck with your revolution and moral breakdown.

pmp

Post by pmp »

egilj wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:01 pm
pmp wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
pmp wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

But here's the question:

Ok, offending should be illegal, violence should be legalised. Good luck with your revolution and moral breakdown.
Interesting how you chose not to answer the highlighted question, too.

This isn't about what is legal and illegal. It is about what is right. We are not living in 1992 now. We're living in 2022. Much has changed over what is "ok" and what is not deemed "ok" over the last decade. And about time.

If I made a similar "joke" about a woman walking down the street, I should not be surprised if her husband came over and socked me one in the jaw. Nor should I be shocked if she did it herself.

egilj

Post by egilj »

pmp wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:08 pm
egilj wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:01 pm
pmp wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
pmp wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Rob wrote:

But here's the question:

Interesting how you chose not to answer the highlighted question, too.

This isn't about what is legal and illegal. It is about what is right. We are not living in 1992 now. We're living in 2022. Much has changed over what is "ok" and what is not deemed "ok" over the last decade. And about time.

If I made a similar "joke" about a woman walking down the street, I should not be surprised if her husband came over and socked me one in the jaw. Nor should I be shocked if she did it herself.
Ok then, violence is "right" when offended. I hope you're not married.

I don't think a psychologist is sufficent in your case. You need a sociologist.