Das Grosse Elvis Presley Filmbuch ( German ONLY Release )

Post Here All Reviews Of Books/Magazines

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bc55
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Das Grosse Elvis Presley Filmbuch ( German ONLY Release )

Post by bc55 »

Brand new and at € 49,95 a real bargain, is this large-format hardcover book, containing ca. 640 pages, 7 fold-outs, 24 x 32 cm ( 9.6 x 12.8 In. ) in size, full-color, and it is HEAVY !!!!!

Text is written by Helmut Radermacher, founder and president of the Elvis Presley Gesellschaft e.V. - one of the world's largest Elvis fanclubs.

I have not had a chance to go into much detail, as the book only arrived yesterday, but the overall impression is very positive.

The book opens with a short timeline, a year-for-year account of the main events in Elvis' career, after we go into the movie reviews. And here the book realy shines.

Every film is portayed in great detail, using the original promo photos / lobby cards etc. distributed for the pictures, and re-produced here with great care. Some I found to be a bit cheesy-looking, as they were tinted b&w shots, and the colors were sometimes just plain awful, but there are also some really great candid shots in there that I hadn't seen before, as well as some other production stills.

One item I hadn't seen in this clarity before was a shot of the prop sleeve for "Treat Me Nice" by Vince Everett from Jailhouse Rock. Really nice. Who ever chose the title for the flipside on that prop ?!??! Could've been "Froggy Went A-Courtin'" for all I care ;-)

Anyways, the book is well-presented, and -written, for a German-only book. Which is a shame really, as it is certainly not just interesting for German fans. Truth is, there are far more English language books out there on Elvis than German language ones, so this tips the scales in favor of German language.

The book can be ordered in two different cover-variations :

http://www.t-m-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=19888

and

http://www.t-m-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=19889

Unfortunately, you have to be signed-in on the site to see more pics.

The book is really heavy, no wonder, at nearly 650 pages, but the paper used is very thin, for my taste almost too thin. I would have gladly payed a couple of Euros extra for nice, thick, glossy paper. And it would've made this volume shine even more !

That extra bit of class missing unfortuately, due to the publisher opting for this version, IMO.

All I can say is, at this rate, the book is worth buying, but unless you are able to read German, or only want the pictures, I'm afraid non-German speaking fans will pass this one by.

Shame really ..... did I mention this is a really good book ?! No, well, it IS !

Cheers

Sven

The Welz

Re: Das Grosse Elvis Presley Filmbuch ( German ONLY Release

Post by The Welz »

Its really a stunning release. Every film is discussed in detail, every movie tune is reviewed and all the albums and singles connected to the movies are mentioned, too. Besides that DAS GROSSE ELVIS PRESLEY FILM BUCH includes a lot of pictures, movie posters and memorabilia connected to the films.

The only letdown is the quality of the paper - it's a little bit thin. But otherwise this is a very fine release and surely a book I'll take a look at every now and then.

:D

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Das Grosse Elvis Presley Filmbuch ( German ONLY Release

Post by Tony.. »

bc55 wrote:Brand new and at € 49,95 a real bargain, is this large-format hardcover book, containing ca. 640 pages, 7 fold-outs, 24 x 32 cm ( 9.6 x 12.8 In. ) in size, full-color, and it is HEAVY !!!!!

Text is written by Helmut Radermacher, founder and president of the Elvis Presley Gesellschaft e.V. - one of the world's largest Elvis fanclubs.

I have not had a chance to go into much detail, as the book only arrived yesterday, but the overall impression is very positive.

The book opens with a short timeline, a year-for-year account of the main events in Elvis' career, after we go into the movie reviews. And here the book realy shines.

Every film is portayed in great detail, using the original promo photos / lobby cards etc. distributed for the pictures, and re-produced here with great care. Some I found to be a bit cheesy-looking, as they were tinted b&w shots, and the colors were sometimes just plain awful, but there are also some really great candid shots in there that I hadn't seen before, as well as some other production stills.

One item I hadn't seen in this clarity before was a shot of the prop sleeve for "Treat Me Nice" by Vince Everett from Jailhouse Rock. Really nice. Who ever chose the title for the flipside on that prop ?!??! Could've been "Froggy Went A-Courtin'" for all I care ;-)

Anyways, the book is well-presented, and -written, for a German-only book. Which is a shame really, as it is certainly not just interesting for German fans. Truth is, there are far more English language books out there on Elvis than German language ones, so this tips the scales in favor of German language.

The book can be ordered in two different cover-variations :

http://www.t-m-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=19888

and

http://www.t-m-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=19889

Unfortunately, you have to be signed-in on the site to see more pics.

The book is really heavy, no wonder, at nearly 650 pages, but the paper used is very thin, for my taste almost too thin. I would have gladly payed a couple of Euros extra for nice, thick, glossy paper. And it would've made this volume shine even more !

That extra bit of class missing unfortuately, due to the publisher opting for this version, IMO.

All I can say is, at this rate, the book is worth buying, but unless you are able to read German, or only want the pictures, I'm afraid non-German speaking fans will pass this one by.

Shame really ..... did I mention this is a really good book ?! No, well, it IS !
The links you provided appear to be 'broken'. Any other places to get this from please?