Live Song Rarities

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

fg76
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Live Song Rarities

Post by fg76 »

What would be considered rare now? A one-liner of "Great Pretender?" from March 1975.

Or the 1976 one-line of "I can see clearly now" that Stein Erik Skar reportered in his Elvis Concert Years book?

I've heard his 1971 one-line of "Latest Flame" and wasn't really that impressed with it. Some of his 1977 covers of 1970 songs were acceptable for 1977, but a far cry to what it should have been.

Rare, to me, would be like finding a second live cover of "Pieces of My Life," or a rehearsal tape from 1975 covering "Never Been to Spain" or something. A live version of "For The Heart." What is rare, anymore?

Topic author
Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

I don`t conisider one-liners as rare,....therefore none of them are included here.
"Rare" are songs performed only once a few times (as rags To Riches) or songs
that are performed outside the usual respective song line-up as I Just Can`t help
Believing in Vegas 1976.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ciscoking wrote:Vegas again..August 14, 1970 MS..Hello... I`m Johnny Cash

Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (Las Vegas, August 14, 1970 MS)
My favorite!

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I remember back when I first heard it..i was blown away..Elvis The Entertainer ..IIRC..
Man,..those were the days...we had 2 Kings..Elvis and me.. :smt007

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

victorjose
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by victorjose »

Hey Cisco

One question. :roll:

I´ve read some years in JAPAN CLUB WEB ago that in the Special from 1968

Elvis recorded from 20 to 23 june in WESTERN RECORDS:

studio versions of : YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE , WORKING ON THE BUILDING and HI HEEL SNEAKERS

amongs other songs that don´t remenber.

Thank you very much

Víctor

Rocco64
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rocco64 »

Did Elvis ever perform If I Can Dream outside of the Comeback Show? If not, does anyone know why?

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I am not aware of a live version....why..?..Well, why didn`t he do Nothingville or Saved or whatever..?
You can ask this for numerous songs..and will never find an answer...

Harty

Post by Harty »

Guess "If I can dream" was especially written for the 68 special, it was a so called message song as a reference to the speech of Martin Luther King "I have a dream". Or is this still a legend ?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Harty wrote:Guess "If I can dream" was especially written for the 68 special, it was a so called message song as a reference to the speech of Martin Luther King "I have a dream". Or is this still a legend ?
No, it's a fact. Read more here:

If I Can Dream
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

James27

Post by James27 »

I also think that Elvis considered this something he didn't want to exploit, the message of this song. Or want to be percepted as possibly exploiting. Also, "If I Can Dream" was vocally very demanding to do on stage. He lip-synched it during the stand-up performances, which to me was a let-down when I first saw it, but understandable.

It's no wonder why he didn't sing In The Ghetto too much anymore either after August, 1970 (if at all?). But better only two social awareness songs that have become well-known classics and highlights in his career, and then move on, then to base a whole career on this type of song. They have stood the test of time better than many of the late 60s explicit "message songs".

I see In The Ghetto more as a sensitive song about awareness of poverty and crime in a ghetto, than as a protest or message song. It doesn't take a stance against the US government, it doesn't polarize, it talks about issues, just like If I Can Dream, that are timeless and that not too many people can be against. Except maybe rich racists.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

He did a oneliner in Lake Tahoe 1971. But he just says the words of the title IIRC..

James27

Post by James27 »

I wonder if some sort of a composite version, perhaps in a new remix or duet form, could be done using all or many of the available "I Walk The Line" snippets Elvis did during his 3rd Vegas engagement in August/September? And on on tour in November 1970 and back in Vegas in August 1971. I found these snippets very amusing, but frustratingly short.

14-08-70 MS
04-09-70 DS
04-09-70 MS
05-09-70 MS
06-09-70 3AM
07-09-70 CS
11-11-70 ES
25-08-71 DS

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

VOC

Post by VOC »

Hey Cisco, is there a complete live version of gospel "Oh Happy Day"? I'm aware of the rehearsal version released on TTWII-box many years ago but did Elvis ever do a complete live version? Thanks! 8)

- Whisky Woman, Don't You Know That You Are Driving Me Insane -

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Enjoy the whole show... :wink:

The Man In White Vol. 3

VOC

Post by VOC »

That was fast! :D Thanks a lot! This is a great song, I wish Elvis had done a full studio version.

- Whisky Woman, Don't You Know That You Are Driving Me Insane -

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

VOC wrote:That was fast!
It took me 5 seconds.. :lol:

Glad you like it.... ::rocks

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

That's what all the girls say.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

may 1976 has a one liner of For the heart.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

exact date please....

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

James27 wrote:I also think that Elvis considered this something he didn't want to exploit, the message of this song. Or want to be percepted as possibly exploiting. Also, "If I Can Dream" was vocally very demanding to do on stage. He lip-synched it during the stand-up performances, which to me was a let-down when I first saw it, but understandable.

It's no wonder why he didn't sing In The Ghetto too much anymore either after August, 1970 (if at all?). But better only two social awareness songs that have become well-known classics and highlights in his career, and then move on, then to base a whole career on this type of song. They have stood the test of time better than many of the late 60s explicit "message songs".

I see In The Ghetto more as a sensitive song about awareness of poverty and crime in a ghetto, than as a protest or message song. It doesn't take a stance against the US government, it doesn't polarize, it talks about issues, just like If I Can Dream, that are timeless and that not too many people can be against. Except maybe rich racists.
Two points. One, I think it takes a strong position. It asks "people, dontcha understand?" "The child needs a helping hand, or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day. Take a look at you and me: are we too blind to see? Or do we simply turn our heads and look the other way?"

That is a confrontation. IICD is both an homage to what was said 50 years ago tomorrow, and a cry for hope in a very dark time.

They are both strong, and both hold up better than quite a few other attempts at the time by others.

Secondly, and on the other hand, it's very easy to get "boxed-in" to such material. First, it's expected, then "required." The last thing that happens is they call you "Judas" if you want to just rock out. Elvis balanced it well for a while.

But the times themselves got rougher. 1970 was an ugly, divisive, violent year in so many ways. Elvis just said "I'm outta here." And there were other factors. There was a major crackdown on rock music by year's end.

And it intensified into 1971. When, coincidentally or not, the new drug scheduling act kicked in. It was a time to either commit, or walk on eggshells. The stakes were raised.

This was the moment when the War On Drugs began. Elvis wasn't going to be on the losing side.

Although no one seems to know who first said it, but "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" means something. Especially in a war.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Ciscoking wrote:exact date please....

IIRC that is may 9th. But he only sings the title because someone is yelling out titles. It's in the middle of the show somewhere near the intros.

Elvis1970KING
Banned, COPPA Requires users to be at least 14 years old.
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Elvis1970KING »

Cool!I never knew he did wooden heart live!Awesome did he ever do city by night any other time than in double trouble?

Elvis1970KING
Banned, COPPA Requires users to be at least 14 years old.
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Elvis1970KING »

Cool!I never knew he did wooden heart live!Awesome did he ever do city by night any other time than in double trouble?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ekenee wrote:may 1976 has a one liner of For the heart.
Ciscoking wrote:exact date please....
Two known shows, both one-liners:

3-17-1976 Johnson City, TN
5-09-1976 CS - Lake Tahoe, NV

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

couldn't spot it in the Tahoe show...John where can I find it there..?