The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records book out 10/18

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records book out 10/18

Post by elvis4life »

NOTE: it's a bit expensive...$60. Hopefully they'll lower the price as time goes on:

A fascinating look at the history of Sun Records, the label that started Rock n’ Roll, told through 70 of its iconic recordings.

In Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1950s, there was hard-edged blues playing on Beale Street, and hillbilly boogie on the outskirts of town. But at Sam Phillips’ Sun Records studio on Union Avenue, there was something different going on – a whole lotta shakin’, rockin’, and rollin’.

This is where rock ’n’ roll was born.

Sun Records: the company that launched Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Carl Perkins. The label that brought the world, “Blue Suede Shoes,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” “Breathless,” “I Walk the Line,” “Mystery Train,” “Good Rockin’ Tonight.”

The Birth of Rock ’n’ Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records is the official history of this legendary label, and looks at its story in a unique way: through the lens of 70 of its most iconic recordings. From the early days with primal blues artists like Howlin’ Wolf and B.B. King to long nights in the studio with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, you will see how the label was shaped and how it redefined American music. Accompanying the recordings is the label’s origin story and a look at the mission of the label today, as well as “Sun Spot” sidebars—a fascinating dive into subjects such as how the iconic logo was created, the legendary Million Dollar Quartet sessions, and how the song “Harper Valley, PTA” funded the purchase of the label.

Written by two of the most acclaimed music writers of our time, Peter Guralnick and Colin Escott, and featuring hundreds of rare images from the Sun archives as well as a foreword by music legend Jerry Lee Lewis, this is a one-of-a-kind book for anyone who wants to know where it all started.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records book out 10/18

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvis4life wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:04 pm
NOTE: it's a bit expensive...$60. Hopefully they'll lower the price as time goes on:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1681888963/

A fascinating look at the history of Sun Records, the label that started Rock n’ Roll, told through 70 of its iconic recordings.

In Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1950s, there was hard-edged blues playing on Beale Street, and hillbilly boogie on the outskirts of town. But at Sam Phillips’ Sun Records studio on Union Avenue, there was something different going on – a whole lotta shakin’, rockin’, and rollin’.

This is where rock ’n’ roll was born.

Sun Records: the company that launched Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Carl Perkins. The label that brought the world, “Blue Suede Shoes,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” “Breathless,” “I Walk the Line,” “Mystery Train,” “Good Rockin’ Tonight.”

The Birth of Rock ’n’ Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records is the official history of this legendary label, and looks at its story in a unique way: through the lens of 70 of its most iconic recordings. From the early days with primal blues artists like Howlin’ Wolf and B.B. King to long nights in the studio with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, you will see how the label was shaped and how it redefined American music. Accompanying the recordings is the label’s origin story and a look at the mission of the label today, as well as “Sun Spot” sidebars—a fascinating dive into subjects such as how the iconic logo was created, the legendary Million Dollar Quartet sessions, and how the song “Harper Valley, PTA” funded the purchase of the label.

Written by two of the most acclaimed music writers of our time, Peter Guralnick and Colin Escott, and featuring hundreds of rare images from the Sun archives as well as a foreword by music legend Jerry Lee Lewis, this is a one-of-a-kind book for anyone who wants to know where it all started.

$60.00 USD is not really that expensive these days for a quality hardcover book, especially one which is certainly to be lavishly illustrated.

Most importantly, Guralnick and Escott are very credible writers and historians. so this book may be a super treat.

What I will look for is if they have incorporated some of the new information about the recordings which recent studies have found, most especially about Elvis' work. It will first depend on which 70 songs they have chosen to focus on.

In particular, I'm certain "That's All Right" will be one of the numbers written about.

And thanks to forum member George Smith, the genesis of that recording is COMPLETELY different from everything we have known since it was first released back in the summer of 1954.

He first published his findings on this very site, and last year placed it in his astounding book, Walk A Lonely Street: Elvis Presley, Country Music & The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel. It is HIGHLY recommended, even more so that the book being discussed here.

https://www.amazon.com/Walk-Lonely-Street-Presley-Heartbreak/dp/1999721829

Anyway, as for "That's All Right" . . . we shall see.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:13 pm

$60.00 USD is not really that expensive these days for a quality hardcover book, especially one which is certainly to be lavishly illustrated.

Most importantly, Guralnick and Escott are very credible writers and historians. so this book may be a super treat.

What I will look for is if they have incorporated some of the new information about the recordings which recent studies have found, most especially about Elvis' work. It will first depend on which 70 songs they have chosen to focus on.

In particular, I'm certain "That's All Right" will be one of the numbers written about.

And thanks to forum member George Smith, the genesis of that recording is COMPLETELY different from everything we have known since it was first released back in the summer of 1954.

He first published his findings on this very site, and last year placed it in his astounding book, Walk A Lonely Street: Elvis Presley, Country Music & The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel. It is HIGHLY recommended, even more so that the book being discussed here.

I suppose Sam in the end lost on the deal to sell Elvis & all master tapes to RCA, considering the album releases Sun Rec could have done in the future if only retained the tapes of Elvis. But on the other hand, no one was knowing then that there would be a future market for it

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Swedish wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:17 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:13 pm

I suppose Sam in the end lost on the deal to sell Elvis & all master tapes to RCA, considering the album releases Sun Rec could have done in the future if only retained the tapes of Elvis. But on the other hand, no one was knowing then that there would be a future market for it

Right. In November 1955 no company believed album sales were big time sales products. Selling the Presley contract guaranteed the success of Sun Records in 1956 and beyond. So in the end, Sam won.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

Now it's pushed back to 11/22...and it's $50:

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

elvis4life wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:11 am
Now it's pushed back to 11/22...and it's $50:
And when read, you will want this box by your side :D
bcd17313b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales