Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Post by drjohncarpenter »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The Clash, another great band! Joe Strummer always had an admiration for the 50's Elvis.
Yup. His fav Elvis song was "Crawfish."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The Clash, another great band! Joe Strummer always had an admiration for the 50's Elvis.
Yup. His fav Elvis song was "Crawfish."
Really...didn't know that! Interestinog choice of song

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

"Good riddance to bad rubbish" !!!!

"Elvis died when he went into the army !"

Ah ha ha ha ... ----in' ay, They couldn't have been more right ! Spectacular !

Jeez, I hate Elvis !

Long Live "The Sex Pistols" !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

elvisalisellers wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:I was 14 back in 1977 when I first heard the Sex PIstols and Punk in general, and the ridiculous response from the media, which only endeared the movement to other kids like myself, I can remember thinking back then that it was a similar, albeit on a smaller scale, response to how Elvis was first viewed/treated back in the 50's, and they rescued me from a lifetime of Abba, Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man :)
To align a group of ABBA's magnitude and significance with the likes of Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man is just silly.

Are you aware that Glen Matlock's riffs on Pretty Vacant were inspired by ABBA's S.O.S. ?

That's how my 14 year old brain worked at the time, and yes, I am.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

Liverbobs wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:I was 14 back in 1977 when I first heard the Sex PIstols and Punk in general, and the ridiculous response from the media, which only endeared the movement to other kids like myself, I can remember thinking back then that it was a similar, albeit on a smaller scale, response to how Elvis was first viewed/treated back in the 50's, and they rescued me from a lifetime of Abba, Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man :)
To align a group of ABBA's magnitude and significance with the likes of Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man is just silly.

Are you aware that Glen Matlock's riffs on Pretty Vacant were inspired by ABBA's S.O.S. ?

That's how my 14 year old brain worked at the time, and yes, I am.
Super trouper.

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

Interesting original post Doc, I hadn't realised that the Sex Pistols played a date in Memphis. Would this have been because they realised that was where punk had started?

I was already 32 when they came out so wasn't personnally into them, But I did at the time, and still do, appreciate the fact that they took the whole scene back to its roots, back from all the glitter and over the top showmanship of many 70's acts that came before them, including the last few years of 'over the top' Elvis.

Regarding an earlier post from R@B, If Elvis had gone on a world tour in 1970 after he first conquered Vegas, that, I feel sure, would have been the biggest event in populer history.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Chris Roberts wrote:Interesting original post Doc, I hadn't realised that the Sex Pistols played a date in Memphis. Would this have been because they realised that was where punk had started?

I was already 32 when they came out so wasn't personnally into them, But I did at the time, and still do, appreciate the fact that they took the whole scene back to its roots, back from all the glitter and over the top showmanship of many 70's acts that came before them, including the last few years of 'over the top' Elvis.

Regarding an earlier post from R@B, If Elvis had gone on a world tour in 1970 after he first conquered Vegas, that, I feel sure, would have been the biggest event in populer history.
Thanks. The Pistols 1978 U.S. tour consciously chose mostly Southern cities, and avoided industry glamor spots like New York and Los Angeles, to be contrarian and to ramp up the controversy at each stop. It worked!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

Whether you like them or not, they changed the music scene, influenced 100s of other bands and created one of the greatest albums of all time.
True but leave good ol' Showaddywaddy out of it !

norrie

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

Fabulous original posting, John, thank you.

Elvis-as-punk is all a question of context: in his time he was at least as shocking as the Pistols seemed to many (including me).

Check out this quote* from Roy Orbison regarding a 1955 EP show:

First thing, he came out and spat out a piece of gum onto the stage. He was a punk kid. A weird-looking dude. I can't over-emphasize how shocking he looked and sounded to me that night. He did "Maybellene", and the kids started shouting. There was pandemonium 'cause the girls took a shine to him and the guys were getting jealous. Plus he told some real bad crude jokes. Dumb off-color humor. His diction was real coarse, like a truck driver's. But his energy was incredible and his instinct was just amazing.

This was not a performance from a smooth teen-idol -- this was full-on revolution.

*Quoted from http://www.706unionavenue.nl/108206814

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Elvis Presley the original punk rocker.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

George Smith wrote:Fabulous original posting, John, thank you.

Elvis-as-punk is all a question of context: in his time he was at least as shocking as the Pistols seemed to many (including me).

Check out this quote* from Roy Orbison regarding a 1955 EP show:

First thing, he came out and spat out a piece of gum onto the stage. He was a punk kid. A weird-looking dude. I can't over-emphasize how shocking he looked and sounded to me that night. He did "Maybellene", and the kids started shouting. There was pandemonium 'cause the girls took a shine to him and the guys were getting jealous. Plus he told some real bad crude jokes. Dumb off-color humor. His diction was real coarse, like a truck driver's. But his energy was incredible and his instinct was just amazing.

This was not a performance from a smooth teen-idol -- this was full-on revolution.

*Quoted from http://www.706unionavenue.nl/108206814
Great points, as always, George Smith.

Do note that Presley website you reference is notoriously inaccurate, takes its information from everywhere, and apparently does not credit its sources.

The Orbison quote, from likely his final interview, is far from what he originally said. Here is a bit of the actual statement:

"I saw Elvis live in '54 [sic]. It was at the Big D Jamboree in Dallas, and first thing, he came out and spat on the stage. In fact he spat out a piece of gum … Plus he told some real bad, crude jokes -- you know, this dumb off-color humor -- which weren't funny. And his diction was real coarse, like a truck driver's … I can't overemphasize how shocking he looked and seemed to me that night."

"The Face Interview" by Nick Kent
The Face, February 1989
890200_The Face.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ian
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by ian »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.
Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.
The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!! :lol: :smt006 :facep: 8)

ian"elvis"anderson

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.
Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.
The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!!
Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!!
Thanks.
Aw, now . . .

8)

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I, myself. Have never heard John Lydon say that he likes Elvis. I would like to hear him say something about him...what songs he likes etc. In fact, i'd like to know his influences in general. Even though i've been a Pistols fan and i like the "Never Mind The B*##*+ks" album. I don't really know too much about his life other then always liking that album.

ian
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by ian »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thanks.
I don't know if you realize it or not, but Elvis was extremely popular right up to the end. He was even as good and popular as acts like Bruce Springsteen I believe, even if his shows were a lot shorter, people seemed to like that Elvis guy quite a bit, I mean it seemed that way to me anyway?! 8) :smt006 :lol: 8)

ian"elvis"anderson

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I appreciate the post, DOC (sorry I am coming in a little later than the original post).

It seems a bit strange to me that a punk group would choose Southern cities to play. As I recall, the southern states at that time were more influenced by Country, Blues, Rock and Gospel music at that time. I would have thought venues in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles would have been better startimg points for such a group. Very interesting. Thanks again.

rlj

EvilRev
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by EvilRev »

I gained a lot of respect for Mr Lydon on the "Filthy Lucre" reunion tour in Milwaukee WI.

Early in the show (around the 5th song), some joker tried to climb onstage. A security guy grabbed him & swung him around. The guy's legs knocked Johnny Rotten off the stage (it was about a 5 foot drop).

He was out for about 5 minutes-at this point they hadn't played "Pretty Vacant", "Anarchy In The UK" or "God Save The Queen" (3 of the greatest tracks of the 70's).

In my opinion, it would've gotten pretty ugly if that was the end of the show.

He "came around", said "sorry 'bout that" & finished the show. True professionalism, in my opinion.

I spoke to the paramedic who attended to him. He told me that he didn't render any treatment

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

EvilRev wrote:I gained a lot of respect for Mr Lydon on the "Filthy Lucre" reunion tour in Milwaukee WI.

Early in the show (around the 5th song), some joker tried to climb onstage. A security guy grabbed him & swung him around. The guy's legs knocked Johnny Rotten off the stage (it was about a 5 foot drop).

He was out for about 5 minutes-at this point they hadn't played "Pretty Vacant", "Anarchy In The UK" or "God Save The Queen" (3 of the greatest tracks of the 70's).

In my opinion, it would've gotten pretty ugly if that was the end of the show.

He "came around", said "sorry 'bout that" & finished the show. True professionalism, in my opinion.

I spoke to the paramedic who attended to him. He told me that he didn't render any treatment
You have gotta hand it to Johnny, he has completely reinvented himself:
.[/youtube]He gets it, always has.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Elvis Fan Forever
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Elvis Fan Forever »

r&b on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:55 am wrote:Really never got into these guys but they were pretty huge for a short time. If Lennon had lived, The Beatles would, I bet , have reunited for a concert, and possibly at least one album. I don't think there is any doubt that this would have been the biggest musical event in history dwarfing anything Elvis ever did or even The Beatles themselves. The public desire for them to reunite grew bigger & bigger each year. Wherever they went, they were always asked that question and you had the feeling that one day, egos would have been put aside , and it would have happened and I am sure it would done what I have stated.
Elvis will always somehow the greater one. HE was there before, he was their hero, he was a solo singer, he had the better voice.

Soon there will be a new release from ABBA, maybe the closest You can get of a reunite of a world famous band like the Beatles.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Elvis Fan Forever on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 pm wrote:
r&b on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:55 am wrote:Really never got into these guys but they were pretty huge for a short time. If Lennon had lived, The Beatles would, I bet , have reunited for a concert, and possibly at least one album. I don't think there is any doubt that this would have been the biggest musical event in history dwarfing anything Elvis ever did or even The Beatles themselves. The public desire for them to reunite grew bigger & bigger each year. Wherever they went, they were always asked that question and you had the feeling that one day, egos would have been put aside , and it would have happened and I am sure it would done what I have stated.
Elvis will always somehow the greater one. HE was there before, he was their hero, he was a solo singer, he had the better voice.

Soon there will be a new release from ABBA, maybe the closest You can get of a reunite of a world famous band like the Beatles.
Why are you reviving this five year-old conversation with this? You have already said elsewhere " I never play The Beatles" so you are not even qualified to make such a comment.

Next time be courteous and comment on-topic first.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Elvis Fan Forever

drjohncarpenter on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 pm wrote:
Elvis Fan Forever on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 pm wrote:

Why are you reviving this five year-old conversation with this? You have already said elsewhere " I never play The Beatles" so you are not even qualified to make such a comment.

You told me to read
And I answer
ABBA for me is a little like the Beatles.
They did write their own songs where and still selling many albums. Had both in the beginning the Youth as their fans and now are for every generation that loves their music. Both bands fell apart and both bands the people would love the reunite.

Elvis Fan Forever

I never play Mozart. Does it mean, I never did hear his music. I watched all kinds of music documentations.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Elvis Fan Forever on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:11 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 pm wrote:Why are you reviving this five year-old conversation with this? You have already said elsewhere " I never play The Beatles" so you are not even qualified to make such a comment.

You told me to read
And I answer
ABBA for me is a little like the Beatles.
They did write their own songs where and still selling many albums. Had both in the beginning the Youth as their fans and now are for every generation that loves their music. Both bands fell apart and both bands the people would love the reunite.
I asked you to read a specific topic, not this one.

Have you done so yet?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Elvis Fan Forever

I always find so many things here on many topics than I get lost
If I did not do right, with writing here, than I am sorry and I won `t do it again.