Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Post by davide »

deleted
Last edited by davide on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 am, edited 8 times in total.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Great story!

That explains why she's such an appalling actress but with legs incomparable! :D

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by hilton22000 »

Great research, like always. Thank you very much.
We'll waiting for the rest of Jailhouse Rock, but take your time, no rush :smt006

music2
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by music2 »

Thanks Davide for this and for your other contributions to the board!

FANTASTIC post!

You are Amazing!

We look forward to your full post on Jailhouse Rock.

Elvis4ever
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Elvis4ever »

Has Linda Williams ever been interviewed about working with Elvis? What a little cutie pie she was. Elvis always had good taste in his women... Something that doesn't make sense to me....Why would Elvis' charecter wear a heavy sweater (as cool as he looks in it) at a pool party instead of a sporty short sleeve like he wore in other scenes?

Now it would be appreciated if more candids from Jailhouse Rock could be posted on this thread :)

TALLHAIR 2

Post by TALLHAIR 2 »

nice piece of info Davide.
A question for you : does the wardrobe photo,
featured at the end of your story came from page
96 of my book Inside Jailhouse Rock, or is it
available from whatever Elvis photo site?
I had many wardrobe pages from JR that I got
from Jim Hannaford back in 1994... Several
years ago I sold most of the original JR memorabilia
to several different collectors in Europe.
Hannaford didnt want his original material back,
after I had finished the book... But in recent months
I keep hearing these stories he and Tunzi have
teamed up for yet another JR book...?
What Hannaford did get from me were the printing
films used for my JR edition. He was sure he could find
a publisher over there. He didn't. I surely hope this
new JR book isnt in part made from my old printing
films?!.... It's possible ofcourse, my original photos
ended up in the Toonz collection? J Pirzada,
involved with the JR project, could have bought
them from one of the European collectors, and passed
them on to Jat...?
It's a somewhat strange situation: two more Jailhouse
Rock photobooks in the months to come. One from
Knudsen, and one from Jat...
Im not losing sleep over it. Let them fight it out.
Any info you can pass on to us, Davide?

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

Boy, did he have a tough life...........lol

Deb

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

The wardrobe photo of Linda Williams must of originally come from your superb book - I had it sent to me ages ago via email, I
apologise for overlooking its original source ,I have credited the post,(and can remove it if you think it's a problem)
Watched the movie again last night on Blu-Ray on my scope screen - 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Viva Las Vegas' on Blu-Ray are indispensable

Davide

TALLHAIR 2

Post by TALLHAIR 2 »

Davide, you can use my material for your
excellent features, as long as you give me
credit. I might post some rare JR photos
myself in the near future. Material I had
planned for my own follow up to Inside
Jailhouse Rock... that never was.

music2
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by music2 »

I might post some rare JR photos
myself in the near future
Thank You. We would appreciate that very much.

None of us are getting any younger, so it would be great to see some pics from one of Elvis' greatest movies.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

Yvette Mimieux was a favourite of mine thanks to Time Machine.

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Barbie »

Wow! Where do we get more June 14th 57 pix?????? - I have quite a collection of them and am always looking for more!...........I just love Elvis' hair and well he just looks so kool! They are some of my favourite pictures of Elvis..................

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rickeap wrote:Yvette Mimieux was a favourite of mine thanks to Time Machine.
I was suprised no one had made mention of Yvette Mimieux.

She was 17 or 18 at the time of "Jailhouse Rock," and would go on in just a few years to a decent acting career in Hollywood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvette_Mimieux

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Barbie »

Yes that is really something that Yvette was in Jailhouse Rock-we always find something new on this site everyday!!!.................she did have an extensive Hollywood career - saw lots of her movies - what's happened to her............? Thank you for pointing that out...................I was just so excited about seeing more pictures from Jailhouse Rock and great pictures from the pool scene........................... :roll:

drjohncarpenter

Barbie wrote:Yes that is really something that Yvette was in Jailhouse Rock ...
Almost -- Elvis did not choose her.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Image*
Another photo of Linda Williams and Elvis ,MGM Studios.13th June 1957.

Image**
'(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care' production number ,13th June 1957.
Script Supervisor Grace Dubray is sat foreground, Director Richard Thorpe, Elvis and Assistant Director Robert Relyea.

Image*
Judy Tyler and Elvis,MGM Studios 13th June 1957. Scene Garden Party

Jennifer Holden
"Elvis saved my life." After the pool scene, we went in our dressing rooms, I unplugged the heater in my room and the electric cord broke, flames were shooting out of the wall plug and set the room on fire. I was screaming: "Elvis, Elvis...", he called for help and came back with the set man. I had locked the door when I went in so couldn't get out. Together they broke down the door

Elvis,MGM Studios 13th June 1957.

Image*
Judy Tyler and Elvis have a 'Cup of tea' for a publicity shot taken on lot 2, MGM Studios. The scene being shot is Scene 46 in the area of Exterior of the Peggy Van Alden Parents home when Vince and Peggy arrive at the house.
Date 31st May 1957.

Image*

Image*
Two shots of Anne Neyland,Elvis, and Judy Tyler taken by the portable dressing rooms on either the 6th/7th June 1957,MGM studios. The stars are in costume for scene 91,in which Vince gives a party in his hotel room. The scene was scheduled to be shot on thursday the 6th of June,but had to be finished on the morning of 7th of June,(hence the difficulty in pinpointing the dates for the two photos above)

Elvis and Anne Neyland,6th/7th June 1957

Elvis at the same location as above,7th June 1957

Image*

Image*

ImageImage
Director Richard Thorpe, looks on as Elvis get his 'haircut'.(Elvis had two wigs,an Intermediate haircut and a Butch haircut)MGM stage 23,Scene 11,Interior Prison Barber shop. 20th May 1957.
Scene 11A take 2 can be seen in 'Elvis In Hollwood'.

Image***
Director Richard Thorpe,Elvis and Jennifer Holden.Scene 119,lot 2 MGM,12th June 1957

Housing Project scene,Director Richard Thorpe in conversation with Elvis on the morning of Wednesday 15th of May 1957.

Image*
Dean Jones,Judy Tyler and Elvis.The scene being shot at this time was Scene 84,Peggy's Hotel room on the 5th June 1957. This image was featured in 'Inside Jailhouse Rock' book page 106,but is uncropped here.

Don Burnett played the part of popular singer Mickey Alba (seen in some posters)

Missing scenes/parts of scenes

Scene 20 : Theatre Prison broadcast - when Elvis performs 'I Want To Be Free' , there was also a section where Hunk sings before Vince,and a Harmonica player enters the stage after Vince. Filmed on 23rd of May 1957
Image****

Scene 26 : Warden's Office - after the riot in the prison dining room ,the Warden reads Vince the rules and then asks him who he wants with him at the whipping.

Scene 35 : Florita Club : Vince watches as Sam does number - Although this scene exists in the finished movie,it appears that it may have been shortened in the cutting room. Gloria Pall who played a stripper in this sequence had this to say " I think it was just one day,I did a whole dance for him with bumps and grinds and I told him,This reminds me of what you do,but they cut it,they cut my whole dance". Filmed on tuesday 28th of May 1957.

Scene 86 : Night club - Vince and trio do new number ,this can be seen in the finished movie very briefly as the camera tracks into Elvis who is singing a slow number. The shooting script mentions playback was required. Are we looking at small segment of a full music number that remains in the vaults?
Filmed on the 3rd of June 1957.****
Scotty Moore Wardrobe photo for the scene described above.

Scene 110 :Vince's Beverly Hills Mansion - Vince and gang get out of cars,enter house. This includes Vince,Hunk,Musicians,extra's and three cars. The intention was to have Mr.Shores voice over this segment. Filmed on the 6th of June 1957.

Scene 110x1 : Vince's Beverly Hills Mansion - Vince and his group enter.Man tells Vince Peggy did not call. This scene included Vince,Hunk,Trio,Dogs,extras.Filmed on the 7th of June 1957,stage 26, MGM Studios.

Scene 120 : Studio Gates - Vince and caravan drive into studio past gateman. This scene included Vince,Hunk,Trio,Dogs ,extras,3 cars. filmed on the 6th of June 1957,lot 1 MGM Studios.

Scene 127 : Hollywood Street - Hunk walking dogs as Peggy drives in,she offers Hunk job with record company.Hunk and Peggy,two dogs and Peggy's car, and extra's. Filmed on the 10th of June 1957

Alternative Angles/extra footage found in the Trailer

Riot Scene 24 -The Trailer shows a tighter version of the fight with Vince and an extra punch thrown by a prison guard . 24DD was used instead of 24F.Filmed on the 23rd of May 1957
An outtake of Scene 24F take 3 can be seen in the programme 'Elvis In Hollywood

Whipping Post Scene 27 - The Trailer shows an extra shot of Vince being released after the whipping and throwing a punch towards to the Warder. Original description in the shooting schedule 'Vince whipped - he goes after warden - guard knocks him out'. Filmed 22nd May 1957.

Garden Party Scene 123-124 - The Trailer shows alternative angle of the 'Baby I Don't Care' production number .Originally the script had Vince knock Alba in the pool after the song.It also stated it was to be a night scene. Filmed 13th June

Image***
Director Richard Thorpe talks to Judy Tyler,whilst Hairdresser Peggy Shannon attends to her hair on tuesday 28th May 1957.The scene is no. 35 Club La Florita Night

"OK get on to the sad part" "A Women and a bank did it" Scene 15-16 Cell,stage 23,filmed on 21st May 1957.note the lack of false wall.

“When Alex Romero, who was the choreographer of Jailhouse Rock, first presented the dance sequence for Jailhouse Rock, Elvis shook his head and he said, ‘That’s not me. I can’t do that, Alex. I appreciate, you know, what you’ve done here.’ He wanted Elvis to do more of a Gene Nelson/Fred Astaire type. Elvis said, ‘It’s not me. I’ll try it.’ And Elvis being the cooperative guy, he got up and tried. He said, ‘See Alex, it’s not me.’ And that’s when Alex said, ‘Elvis, I’ll tell you what. Let me incorporate your stage act into what I wanna do, and let’s see if that’ll work.’ and he went home that night, came back the next day, and had taken Elvis’s stage act and incorporated that into a dance sequence. Elvis said, ‘Hey, I can do that. That’s me.’ And in one take, right there in the rehearsal hall at MGM, Elvis had it down. And of course it became historic in being Elvis’s best dance sequence in a motion-picture.”

Sharon Sheeley, songwriter and friend of Elvis, remembers coming home from that movie (Pajama Game). And it was very late at night, and there this little drizzle out. And “Jailhouse Rock” came on the radio. And I remember Elvis stopped the car, got out of the car. It was on Fountain Avenue. And he danced the whole scene he did in the movie, in the middle of the street on Fountain Avenue. And I kept thinking if people woke up right now and looked out their windows, they’d see Elvis Presley dancing in the streets like Gene Kelly.

more to follow

Davide

*TCM Archives
**From the book 'Not So Quiet On The Set '
***Taken from Rijff 'n' Roy Present "Elvis Echoes Of The Past" - Part 1
**** From Inside King Creole
Last edited by davide on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:42 am, edited 17 times in total.

sheila
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by sheila »

The Photo you showed of Yvette Mimieux...Is she the one who played Weena in "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor?

drjohncarpenter

sheila wrote:The Photo you showed of Yvette Mimieux...Is she the one who played Weena in "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor?
That's her!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

O.K. so It's a pool party and the guests are wearing swimsuits and Elvis is wearing a long sleeve turtleneck sweater!! What's up with that?!

Who was the wardrobe person and what we're they thinkin'?

But hey - he looked cool!

RKS

photocollector73
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by photocollector73 »

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Davide, you can use my material for your
excellent features, as long as you give me
credit. I might post some rare JR photos
myself in the near future. Material I had
planned for my own follow up to Inside
Jailhouse Rock... that never was.
Your material.
Most of the material is available anyway.
If you did not sell all your stuff, you could make a new book also instead of compaining about every body who do anything.
Kinda sad Mr rijff

Mississippi
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mississippi »

davide wrote:
/Housing Project scene,Director Richard Thorpe in conversation with Elvis on the morning of Wednesday 15th of May 1957./

I think, that’s not possible, than:

May 14: While working on the dance sequence Elvis aspirates a cap from one of his teeth.

May 15: After e a restless night, his discomfort was so great, that Elvis was rushed to Cedars of Lebanon Hospital.

May 16: Elvis is released from the hospital

Mississippi

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Mississippi wrote:davide wrote:
/Housing Project scene,Director Richard Thorpe in conversation with Elvis on the morning of Wednesday 15th of May 1957./

I think, that’s not possible, than:

May 14: While working on the dance sequence Elvis aspirates a cap from one of his teeth.

May 15: After e a restless night, his discomfort was so great, that Elvis was rushed to Cedars of Lebanon Hospital.

May 16: Elvis is released from the hospital

Mississippi
Thanks for the comments Mississippi,I believe the date is correct in that Elvis was in place for the Housing project/skiploader scene on the 15th of May. Although Elvis had a problem with his tooth cap whilst shooting the 'Jailhouse Rock' production number on the 14th- as you state - the shooting log states that on the 15th,filming started at 8.55am for scenes 1/2/3(Housing project) ,then scene 9a and 21a were shot, before the doctor was called and filming finished at 3.25pm. The 16th shoot did not happen 'E.Presley ill'. This still works with your timeframe of events.

Thanks Davide

Elvis Presley, swivel-hipper rock and roll singer, shows nurse Beverly Altomare the front tooth from which a dental cap came off and dropped down his throat. The cap lodged in Presley's bronchial tube, leading to the right lung ,and had to be removed with a bronchoscope.
Last edited by davide on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mississippi
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mississippi »

Davide wrote:

/Thanks for the comments Mississippi,I believe the date is correct in that Elvis was in place for the Housing project/skiploader scene on the 15th of May. Although Elvis had a problem with his tooth cap whilst shooting the 'Jailhouse Rock' production number on the 14th- as you state - the shooting log states that on the 15th,filming started at 8.55am for scenes 1/2/3(Housing project) ,then scene 9a and 21a were shot, before the doctor was called and filming finished at 3.25pm. The 16th shoot did not happen 'E.Presley ill'. This still works with your timeframe of events.

Thanks Davide/

These facts are new to me. Many thanks, Davide.

Mississippi

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Post by hilton22000 »

Thank you very much for these informations, i can't wait for the next update!! :smt006

"Scene 35 : Florita Club. Filmed on tuesday 28th of May 1957." - On photo with Gloria Pall we can see 5/27/57, this is the right date for Scene 35?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Post by pjdlibra »

once again Davide an amazing job. Much info I was not aware of. The pictures omg just scrumptious.
thanks you all for your contributions to this wonderful post