Why does he drive girls crazy? (1956 article)

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
The fool
Registered for: 21 years

Why does he drive girls crazy? (1956 article)

Post by The fool »

ELVIS PRESLEY!
who is he? why does he drive girls crazy?

by Louis Pollock
Modern Screen, August 1956
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Why does he drive girls crazy? (1956 article)

Post by drjohncarpenter »

This wonderful upload is more than meets the eye.

Writer Louis Pollock, born in Liverpool, was 52 when he covered the Presley phenomenon for Modern Screen in 1956. But he also wrote short stories, and for movies, television, and radio programs. In fact, his teleplay "Breakdown" had just aired on CBS-TV the previous November, as part of the first season of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0508134/
https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c8f76fxq/entire_text/

Maybe all of this is a reason why this older writer doesn't rip the young singer to shreds. He's smarter than that. Most of the Presley story is recounted with accuracy (most, but not all), and it's interesting Pollock directly quotes Elston Brooks' review in the Star-Telegram of the April 20th appearance in Fort Worth.

It's also interesting to learn "on a recent tour" the young star brought a portable movie projector to screen pictures "on the ceiling" when in bed at night. His can of film included "an old Abbott and Costello movie."

Elvis mentioned when he was a sophomore at Humes High he "fell in love" with a senior gal, "taller than I was, and heavier too." We'll have to research to learn who in the Humes class of 1951 was the apple of his eye ... anyone know?

When did Pollack interview the singer? My best guess is perhaps when Presley was in California in April for TV, film and concert commitments.

Thanks again.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!