Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New FTD: From Hawaii To Las Vegas

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

It seems the days of FTD correcting mastering errors had passed. I reckon there will now be a future bootleg release of this - pitch corrected and compiled with a live show from the engagement. Mark my words!

Re: New FTD: From Hawaii To Las Vegas

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:49 am

Wouldn't doubt it!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 am

Matthew wrote:So it would seem that the tape running slow enough to render all songs almost a semi-tone lower than they should be is not really a problem for most of you here, is that correct?

I don't have an issue with the CD. Sounds fine to me.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14 am

paulsweeney wrote:
Matthew wrote:So it would seem that the tape running slow enough to render all songs almost a semi-tone lower than they should be is not really a problem for most of you here, is that correct?

I don't have an issue with the CD. Sounds fine to me.

I agree. I don't have an issue at all. I've enjoyed the hell out it and the tape running slow's not entered my mind one iota!!!

The songs are all classics

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Wow. The music being almost a step out of pitch is quite significant. Surprising after the backlash that came with the Hayride concert that demonstrated hardly any pitch variation. Then there was Live In LA, which this is basically a repeat of.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

I wonder why the speed was not corrected - the result is not only the slower speed but also that the music is half a tone down. For example, "Something" normally in G in this recording is in F# because of the slow speed....

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:20 pm

hmm it sounds a tiny bit slow on some songs such as 'steamroller' but i'll need more input b4 i SLAM a FTD release i am still enjoying. interesting who DOES complain about the running speed and also those that don't complain!~ :?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 pm

It hasn't been corrected because the homework was obviously not done beforehand. What else could it be? Has anyone compared the track that appears on Stage Rehearsal to this new release to see if they play at different speeds?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Since i'm a technical illiterate, i can't correct the speed so i will end up buying a forthcoming (speed corrected) bootleg version, just like i did in case of the "Live in L.A." release.
I support FTD anytime i can and buy their releases when i'm able to afford them, but i certainly won't buy something that runs too slow or too fast. Wrong speed is something i'm very sensitive to. I accept small clicks, ugly cover, wrong track-list, wrong take numbers, misspellings, wrong date and things like these but wrong speed is something else. It hurts listening pleasure too much and affects the content of the whole CD, not only short parts of it.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Audacity is a free computer program and it will change the pitch of music if you want it to.

I don't have this cd yet because it was pre-ordered along with "The Boy from Tupelo" set. I will have to wait until late August-early September to enjoy this.

Perhaps the speed of the cassette deck is to blame?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Lisa Rose wrote:

Since i'm a technical illiterate, i can't correct the speed so i will end up buying a forthcoming (speed corrected) bootleg version, just like i did in case of the "Live in L.A." release.
I support FTD anytime i can and buy their releases when i'm able to afford them, but i certainly won't buy something that runs too slow or too fast. Wrong speed is something i'm very sensitive to. I accept small clicks, ugly cover, wrong track-list, wrong take numbers, misspellings, wrong date and things like these but wrong speed is something else. It hurts listening pleasure too much and affects the content of the whole CD, not only short parts of it.

Seriously?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:47 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:Perhaps the speed of the cassette deck is to blame?

It is probably a disconnect between the speed of the tape recorder and the speed of the playback deck used for the transfer to digital. Either way it is a very simply fix, one that hasn't been done. If I sound frustrated it is because - 1) I want to get this CD and 2) in order to enjoy it I will have to rip it to the computer, fix the tempo myself, and burn a CD-R and listen to that. For $50 (NZD) per title that is unacceptable to me. Why go to the trouble of acquiring a rare tape, designing pretty decent artwork, going through the hoops to get it released, only to screw up the most important aspect of the release for the consumers - the audio. And don't expect FTD to rectify this mistake - they didn't when re-issuing Live In LA and they seem all but unresponsive about recent mastering errors. I love FTD but damn...

What I find baffling is so many being perfectly okay with the audio playing significantly slower than it should be. Each to their own I guess.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 am

Matthew wrote:What I find baffling is so many being perfectly okay with the audio playing significantly slower than it should be.

We are not okay, but what else can we do now? :|

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:34 am

JimmyCool wrote:We are not okay, but what else can we do now? :|

Lisa Rose wrote:Since i'm a technical illiterate, i can't correct the speed so i will end up buying a forthcoming (speed corrected) bootleg version, just like i did in case of the "Live in L.A." release.
I support FTD anytime i can and buy their releases when i'm able to afford them, but i certainly won't buy something that runs too slow or too fast.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:05 am

i must admit that the bootleg version of Live in L.A. satisfied me in a way the FTD DID NOT!~ :?