When Elvis Met Tom Jones backstage - April 1968 (updated)

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: When Elvis Met Tom Jones backstage - April 1968

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TCB TED wrote:Having said that, DJC has posted at least a dozen topics that should be required reading, like the Sinatra/Timex post.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Barbie »

When we met Elvis (while he was filming Live a little, love a little) outside the gates on April 13, 1968 he was STILL talking about the meeting with Tom Jones and his show in Vegas. It really had an impact on him. Kool topic and great to see a few more pix from the meeting..........................

drjohncarpenter

Barbie wrote:When we met Elvis (while he was filming Live a little, love a little) outside the gates on April 13, 1968 he was STILL talking about the meeting with Tom Jones and his show in Vegas. It really had an impact on him. Kool topic and great to see a few more pix from the meeting..........................

Is it possible Elvis had a tiny "mancrush" going on?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Elvisfan10
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Elvisfan10 »

Barbie wrote:When we met Elvis (while he was filming Live a little, love a little) outside the gates on April 13, 1968 he was STILL talking about the meeting with Tom Jones and his show in Vegas. It really had an impact on him. Kool topic and great to see a few more pix from the meeting..........................
Now you have to tell us all about meeting him that day, what else do you remember? :D

epf

Post by epf »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Probably ;). But i think what excited him the most is that he saw what his style was still being hungered for by the public who witnessed the live appearance of Tom Jones.
No wonder he was in awe of Tom, he was in awe that HIS style was still in fashion and that certainly made him sriously think about going back to live shows. It was his style after all: a mature man with a big beat.

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

Wow...thats great info... April 13, 1968 was a Saturday I believe. Was the meeting at MGM or on location?

Davide

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

davide wrote:

Wow...thats great info... April 13, 1968 was a Saturday I believe. Was the meeting at MGM or on location?

Davide
Just wondering, had the contract for the 68 special been signed yet, prior to this night?

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Joe Car wrote:
davide wrote:

Davide
Just wondering, had the contract for the 68 special been signed yet, prior to this night?
As far as I can tell, the contract was signed sometime in January 1968, 18 January 1968 being the earliest report I can find?Image

January 27, 1968 Billboard.

Davide

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Very likely in the same way we think of Elvis. :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Bodie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Very likely in the same way we think of Elvis. :wink:

No, that's a HUGE "mancrush."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

tahoe76 wrote:Great read DJC, thank you. This and your Anita Wood thread, are A+!

It's nice to read about Elvis getting to enjoy a favorite act of his like Jones, and just get to be normal and enjoy the show along with the rest of the audience.

Thanks for the kind words about the Anita Wood topic, but this one was created by the one and only davide!

And we are truly blessed to have him here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Davide - great post, as is always the case

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Barbie »

We headed down to L.A. from Victoria BC Canada JUST to see Elvis (as we had done the previous year March 27/67 & met Elvis by his house while he was filming Clambake-we kinda hung out there the weekend & had lots of adventures there!)...........anyway in April '68 we went to MGM Studios for a tour (also to see if we could see Elvis there but no luck!) I got my picture taken by Elvis' bus (which was parked at MGM) the riverboat in Frankie & Johnny, we toured all around the soundstage where Elvis sings A Little Less Conversation - the pool area-that was neat to see but no Elvis!.......and I also walked on the stairs from Gone with the Wind (where Clarke Gable and Vivian Leigh also walked on)....it was a great tour but then we were off to Elvis' house to see if we could seeHIMthat evening.................after waiting awhile here comes Elvis and Joe - Elvis gets out of the car and says HI to about 10 people hanging about the gate..................we took pictures and someone asked what he's been up to................he talked about the movie he was making and also about how great Tom Jones was the previous weekend..........I remember when he signed my autograph - he was singing "Little Green Apples" the Roger Miller song.............."god didn't make little apples and it don't rain in Indianopolis in the summertime" that was KOOL!!!...............my girlfriend Brenda & I mentioned that we had come down from Canada to see him................and he said "you came all that way to see me?" and we both said "YES!" He was really very friendly to all the fans around signing autographs and posing for pictures............when it was time to take pictures of us Brenda took a picture of Elvis & I (I remember he squeezed my side when he had his arm around me and of course I had my arm around him (yikes I can still feel that squeeze!) and then I went to take Brenda's picture with Elvis and the camera jammed so I took a picture with my camera and yikes it double exposed...(remember it was '68 and I didn't have an instamatic like Brenda did)...........BUT.it's still a neat picture and you can see us clearly with Elvis....................he said he had to go in for supper and said goodnite to everyone! Of course after that happened we could hardly walk or talk - we were SO in shock after seeing our guy!!!! Our idol since we were kids...... Wow it was such a wonderful experience for us fans..........I know you want to see pictures.......I'll get them and put them on the site................don't have time right now.....................

I could have gone to the '68 Special but I was getting married Aug.3/68 and didn't have enough money to fly to L.A. again right after seeing Elvis in April...........what a disappointment for me.......missing one of the biggest events ever and a turning point in Elvis' career.........my girlfriend Brenda got to sit right by the stage for the stand up show....................I'm still so jealous....................it drives me krazy because of the lack of money I missed it!!!!!!!!!!..........................by the way my husband & I were in Vegas in Aug/69 and then I got to see many many more shows up until November '76...........................I do know that I was and am a lucky fan................................

Elvisfan10

Post by Elvisfan10 »

Barbie, thank you for sharing another great Elvis experience you had! I can't wait to see the pictures ::rocks .

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

Thanks for sharing, Barbie. What fantastic memories to cherish, and yes, please post the photos.

Chris.

TCB TED
Registered for: 19 years

Post by TCB TED »

Thanks, Barbie, for taking us back in time with you to 1968.

Does your girlfriend, Brenda, post here?

Would love to here her recollections of the 69 Special.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures ... you should put them into their own
topic thread, so they don't get lost.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Barbie, I really enjoy reading your posts, thank you for sharing!

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

ian
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by ian »

Barbie wrote:We headed down to L.A. from Victoria BC Canada JUST to see Elvis (as we had done the previous year March 27/67 & met Elvis by his house while he was filming Clambake-we kinda hung out there the weekend & had lots of adventures there!)...........anyway in April '68 we went to MGM Studios for a tour (also to see if we could see Elvis there but no luck!) I got my picture taken by Elvis' bus (which was parked at MGM) the riverboat in Frankie & Johnny, we toured all around the soundstage where Elvis sings A Little Less Conversation - the pool area-that was neat to see but no Elvis!.......and I also walked on the stairs from Gone with the Wind (where Clarke Gable and Vivian Leigh also walked on)....it was a great tour but then we were off to Elvis' house to see if we could seeHIMthat evening.................after waiting awhile here comes Elvis and Joe - Elvis gets out of the car and says HI to about 10 people hanging about the gate..................we took pictures and someone asked what he's been up to................he talked about the movie he was making and also about how great Tom Jones was the previous weekend..........I remember when he signed my autograph - he was singing "Little Green Apples" the Roger Miller song.............."god didn't make little apples and it don't rain in Indianopolis in the summertime" that was KOOL!!!...............my girlfriend Brenda & I mentioned that we had come down from Canada to see him................and he said "you came all that way to see me?" and we both said "YES!" He was really very friendly to all the fans around signing autographs and posing for pictures............when it was time to take pictures of us Brenda took a picture of Elvis & I (I remember he squeezed my side when he had his arm around me and of course I had my arm around him (yikes I can still feel that squeeze!) and then I went to take Brenda's picture with Elvis and the camera jammed so I took a picture with my camera and yikes it double exposed...(remember it was '68 and I didn't have an instamatic like Brenda did)...........BUT.it's still a neat picture and you can see us clearly with Elvis....................he said he had to go in for supper and said goodnite to everyone! Of course after that happened we could hardly walk or talk - we were SO in shock after seeing our guy!!!! Our idol since we were kids...... Wow it was such a wonderful experience for us fans..........I know you want to see pictures.......I'll get them and put them on the site................don't have time right now.....................

I could have gone to the '68 Special but I was getting married Aug.3/68 and didn't have enough money to fly to L.A. again right after seeing Elvis in April...........what a disappointment for me.......missing one of the biggest events ever and a turning point in Elvis' career.........my girlfriend Brenda got to sit right by the stage for the stand up show....................I'm still so jealous....................it drives me krazy because of the lack of money I missed it!!!!!!!!!!..........................by the way my husband & I were in Vegas in Aug/69 and then I got to see many many more shows up until November '76...........................I do know that I was and am a lucky fan................................
8) What amazing experiences and memories!!!!! 8)

ian"elvis"anderson

drjohncarpenter

Barbie, these memories are priceless!

Thank you.

Barbie wrote:We headed down to L.A. from Victoria BC Canada JUST to see Elvis (as we had done the previous year March 27/67 & met Elvis by his house while he was filming Clambake-we kinda hung out there the weekend & had lots of adventures there!)...........anyway in April '68 we went to MGM Studios for a tour (also to see if we could see Elvis there but no luck!) I got my picture taken by Elvis' bus (which was parked at MGM) the riverboat in Frankie & Johnny, we toured all around the soundstage where Elvis sings A Little Less Conversation - the pool area-that was neat to see but no Elvis!.......and I also walked on the stairs from Gone with the Wind (where Clarke Gable and Vivian Leigh also walked on)....it was a great tour but then we were off to Elvis' house to see if we could seeHIMthat evening.................after waiting awhile here comes Elvis and Joe - Elvis gets out of the car and says HI to about 10 people hanging about the gate..................we took pictures and someone asked what he's been up to................he talked about the movie he was making and also about how great Tom Jones was the previous weekend..........I remember when he signed my autograph - he was singing "Little Green Apples" the Roger Miller song.............."god didn't make little apples and it don't rain in Indianopolis in the summertime" that was KOOL!!!...............my girlfriend Brenda & I mentioned that we had come down from Canada to see him................and he said "you came all that way to see me?" and we both said "YES!" He was really very friendly to all the fans around signing autographs and posing for pictures............when it was time to take pictures of us Brenda took a picture of Elvis & I (I remember he squeezed my side when he had his arm around me and of course I had my arm around him (yikes I can still feel that squeeze!) and then I went to take Brenda's picture with Elvis and the camera jammed so I took a picture with my camera and yikes it double exposed...(remember it was '68 and I didn't have an instamatic like Brenda did)...........BUT.it's still a neat picture and you can see us clearly with Elvis....................he said he had to go in for supper and said goodnite to everyone! Of course after that happened we could hardly walk or talk - we were SO in shock after seeing our guy!!!! Our idol since we were kids...... Wow it was such a wonderful experience for us fans..........I know you want to see pictures.......I'll get them and put them on the site................don't have time right now.....................

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

What a great story - thank you for posting.

I have found a photographer's credit for the photographs of Tom Jones, Priscilla and Elvis as 'Alan Band.'

Davide

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks Barbie,

I loved reading your story and can't wait to see the pictures. :)

::rocks

Elvisfan10

Post by Elvisfan10 »

Does anyone know if there is info on what Col. Parker thought of Elvis going on stage during a Tom Jones concert doing his karate? Was Parker angry with him for going on stage with another big name performer? How many times did Elvis do this and what else did he do on stage since he wasn't allowed to perform with other singers?

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Elvisfan10 wrote:Does anyone know if there is info on what Col. Parker thought of Elvis going on stage during a Tom Jones concert doing his karate? Was Parker angry with him for going on stage with another big name performer? How many times did Elvis do this and what else did he do on stage since he wasn't allowed to perform with other singers?
I've heard Tony Orlando and Bill Medley say he walked across the stage when they were peforming.

No info on what Parker thought as far as I know.

My guess would be that he wouldn't of cared unless Elvis tried to perform for free.

Elvisfan10

Post by Elvisfan10 »

brian wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:Does anyone know if there is info on what Col. Parker thought of Elvis going on stage during a Tom Jones concert doing his karate? Was Parker angry with him for going on stage with another big name performer? How many times did Elvis do this and what else did he do on stage since he wasn't allowed to perform with other singers?
I've heard Tony Orlando and Bill Medley say he walked across the stage when they were peforming.

No info on what Parker thought as far as I know.

My guess would be that he wouldn't of cared unless Elvis tried to perform for free.
Yeah, but just being on stage with another big name entertainer, especially with Elvis doing his signature karate act would at least irritate him. People saw him on stage for free, which is different than him being outdoors and doing his usual activities. I think he would've been angry that his "boy" was on stage in general for free.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Here are some uncropped versions from ebay (thanks to thefunkyangel at the picture section for the highlight)

Davide