My Alternate Album Covers

Alternate cover art done by fans

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Austin
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

My Alternate Album Covers

Post by Austin »

I wish the only RCA Victor album release of 1972 would have looked something like this:

Front:
Elvis on Tour.jpg

Back:
Elvis on Tour Back.jpg

Gatefold:
Elvis on Tour Gatefold.jpg

This is truly the album that should have been. As much as I love MSG, I think this would have been a more appropriate release to go with the movie. Disc 1 features the Hollywood Studio Masters as well as four Vegas tracks; and Disc 2 features a full concert assembled from the four shows filmed for the movie.

On the back cover, there are ads for the 1971 releases (not including the Christmas/Religious album), Elvis Country and the other release that should have been.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Austin on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

My tongue gets tied when I try to speak, my insides shake like a leaf on a tree. There's only one cure for this body of mine, that's to have that girl that I love so fine!

polksalade8
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Elvis On Tour Album

Post by polksalade8 »

fantastic job........exelent

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

That looks awesome.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years

Post by vinelvis »

Nice covers.

rockinrebel
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by rockinrebel »

Nice work...nice concept. For me the February 1972 Vegas recordings are the definitive versions of those songs, and yet they were lost to us for years due to RCA deciding to issue the MSG album.

Of course the Hollywood studio recordings never got the album release they deserved either, with the best cuts being thrown away on budget albums. I love the idea of a composite show from the April 1972 tour too.

steve rogers
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by steve rogers »

that's very cool. keep going.
steve

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

The Elvis on Tour project was probably the biggest screw-up management ever did, and deserves proper treatment no matter how long it takes.
steve rogers wrote:that's very cool. keep going.
steve
Since you mentioned it, very soon I am going to post other small projects I've been working on.

I'll give you a small preview of what I was working on tonight:

LLR Back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My tongue gets tied when I try to speak, my insides shake like a leaf on a tree. There's only one cure for this body of mine, that's to have that girl that I love so fine!

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Nicely done,Austin

-instagram kenh1964

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years

Post by vinelvis »

Looks great!

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Here are some more custom covers I have.

The first one is for what should have been the album of the latter half of 1971. George Smith created this album and gave it the name Exodus.

Long Lonesome Road 2.jpg
I like how Elvis is pointing to the RCA logo, much like Paul McCartney is pointing to the Capitol Records logo on the US version of Help!

LLR Back.jpg

Another member, Good Time Charlie, suggested the name Long Lonesome Road for the album, and that's the title I use.

In the same post, Good Time Charlie also talks about combining the best tracks from The Wonderful World of Christmas and He Touched Me into one album, and gave it the title, The Sounds of Christmas.

Sounds of Christmas.jpg
Pretty original, huh? :wink: (Updated 12/11/16; replaced ice skates with a cross, and a cleaner look overall)

The remaining five tracks from He Touched Me, plus the remaining unused gospel tracks from other recent projects, could have made up a 9-track Camden album for Easter release in 1972, titled Only Believe.

Only Believe 4.jpg
Only Believe Back.png

continued on next post...
Last edited by Austin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Recently, Poormadpeter suggested that Love Letters From Elvis would have been better as a Camden album, so here it is (tracks are not in that order):

Love Letters Camden 2.jpg

And finally, Gold Records, Vol. 5 should have been released instead of the Fool album, so I styled it to look like the actual 1973 album:

Gold Records Vol. 5.jpg
Last edited by Austin on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

polksalade8
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by polksalade8 »

you'd be working at RCA
we would have the most beautiful covers

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Here are the back covers for Love Letters and Gold Records, Vol. 5 albums, which were not finished yesterday. Although, I'm not very satisfied with how the Gold Records cover turned out. I may end up doing that one over. EDIT: And I did, eventually. Minor changes; looks better overall. Also made minor changes to Love Letters.

Love Letters Camden Back 2.jpg
Gold Vol 5 Back.png
Last edited by Austin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Nice job on : on tour, I changed it a little bit, Just an idea
Elvis on Tour-front.jpg
Elvis on Tour Back.jpg

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Very, very nice!

I think I'll change my Side 1, 2, ect. font to match yours.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Nice work!

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by ritchie valens »

Wonder who was actually in charge of the releases in the 1970s? this would have been great.Could someone do the composite april concert to see what it would have sounded like if it was released do in wav if anybody wants to take time to do it.

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

ritchie valens wrote:Wonder who was actually in charge of the releases in the 1970s? this would have been great.Could someone do the composite april concert to see what it would have sounded like if it was released do in wav if anybody wants to take time to do it.
I actually have done that using the bootlegs that have been released so far, but it does not sound extremely great.

I did not use any of the San Antonio tracks, but the remaining 3 concerts sound very different from each other. Richmond is by far the best quality and mix. The other two sound pretty bad, but in different ways. Hampton sounds very muffled and Greensboro sounds too tinny.

Hopefully, if the rumors are true, we will be getting an upgrade soon and then we can get down to business. I refuse to believe the three missing songs from Hampton are gone forever, as well as most of Lawdy Miss Clawdy from Richmond.

This was the song selection I used:

Hampton Roads
See See Rider
Polk Salad Annie
A Big Hunk O' Love
How Great Thou Art
Sweet Sweet Spirit
An American Trilogy
Lawdy Miss Clawdy

Richmond
2001 Theme
Proud Mary
Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me a Mountain
Love Me
All Shook Up
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
I Can't Stop Loving You
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
Funny How Time Slips Away
Can't Help Falling in Love

Greensboro
Until It's Time For You To Go
Bridge Over Troubled Water

If some better sources are released (including the missing songs) I would probably use Never Been to Spain from Hampton, Funny How Time Slips Away from Greensboro, and Heartbreak Hotel from San Antonio.

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by dennyelvis »

Austin wrote:I wish the only RCA Victor album release of 1972 would have looked something like this:

Front:
Elvis on Tour.jpg

Back:
Elvis on Tour Back.jpg

Gatefold:
Elvis on Tour Gatefold.jpg

This is truly the album that should have been. As much as I love MSG, I think this would have been a more appropriate release to go with the movie. Disc 1 features the Hollywood Studio Masters as well as four Vegas tracks; and Disc 2 features a full concert assembled from the four shows filmed for the movie.

On the back cover, there are ads for the 1971 releases (not including the Christmas/Religious album), Elvis Country and the other release that should have been.
Did do something very similar on a 2 disc set, except for the concert i used multi-tracks from concerts close to the actual tour [not Antonia] and mixed the concert as a fantasy idea, please listen if u wish .........

https://mega.co.nz/#!9wUFDQrS!ojcXTjSeF8ahv7YymeUuxEIHTNDyy32bsJS15Zp_N3k

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

Topic author
Austin

Re: Elvis On Tour Album (plus other artwork by me)

Post by Austin »

Here is some more artwork that I've had for a while, but haven't posted yet.

Fall 1973 Stax album:

Elvis at Stax.jpg
Elvis at Stax back.jpg

Two budget albums featuring most of the tracks from the Tomorrow Is A Long Time project that could have been released in the early '70s:

tomorrow is a long time.png
Goin Home.jpg

A late 1973 budget album with the post-Aloha tracks and a few outtakes from previous albums:

Mahalo.jpg
Last edited by Austin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Been a while since I posted anything here, so I thought I'd just share a few trinkets I've been working on lately.

Viva Las Vegas LP

This one took forever to finally get right. It went through several makeovers before I was finally happy with it.
Viva Las Vegas 3.jpg

Unreleased 1963 LP

This one will almost certainly be re-done soon. This is just a rough draft of the artwork, but I think it looks ok.
Memphis Tennessee.jpg

I may post more in the next few days and also update a few already posted in this thread.

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Burning Love as a single album, October 1972
Burning Love.png
Burning Love Back.png

Also, here's an FTD cover I made almost two years ago and forgot about...
Summer of 72.JPG
Summer of 72 back.JPG
Incidentally, both of these shows were recorded on soundboard according to Keith Flynn's website. I guess FTD doesn't have access to them.

Also, a few covers above have been updated.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Wow -- that Burning Love cover is fantastic, and so is the back cover for Summer of '72. Great work.

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

My version of the Pickwick album that should have been released in early 1976 instead of the Frankie and Johnny re-issue that nobody asked for...
Viva Las Vegas Pickwick.jpg

Oh, and holy crap... has it been almost five years since I've posted in this thread?! Where did the time go?

Topic author
Austin

Post by Austin »

Here are some more things I've been working on (and listening to!) recently...

Seven :shock: years ago, I posted two album covers for Tomorrow is a Long Time and Goin' Home on the Camden label. These albums were meant to collect the tracks used as bonus tracks to fill out the late '60s soundtracks and make up the Guitar Man FTD release. In my opinion, this is the most realistic way these songs wold have been heard together during Elvis' lifetime.

I recently made back covers to those two. The old front covers I have on here were modified a long time ago to include text, but I never posted those before, so I'll do that now.

tomorrow is a long time text.jpg
tomorrow is a long time back.png
Goin Home text.jpg
Goin' Home Back.png

Recently, I posted my take on the Hits From His Movies albums, and here are the covers for them (Burning Love not included :D )...

Obviously, this one is no different from the original other than the text:
Hits From His Movies Vol 1.jpg

This one however, based on the Separate Ways cover, is one of my favorites I've ever done, simple as it may be:
Hits From Movies Vol 2.jpg
I might do back covers for these two soon...