Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by jetblack »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:41 am
And Elvis makes the statement again, and again, and again, in a series of live performances of "Tiger Man" ALL BY ITSELF.
Yet we KNOW 'Tiger Man' was NOT Elvis second record. That would be 'I'll Never Stand In Your Way' / 'It Wouldn't Be The Same (without you)'. Or technically 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin' being the second song cut at 706 Union Avenue in July 1953.
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:41 am
Yet, at the beginning of this same summer 1970 engagement, not to mention the summer 1969 shows, Elvis used "Tiger Man" in a medley with "Mystery Train," another Sun number.

These facts are not mere coincidences. They are pertinent to the discussion.

A medley does not constitute the proof you are seeking.

We are very lucky a couple of super-fans taped these August 1970 shows or we would not have the evidence of the MAN himself doing this. It was not a single, "off the cuff" comment.

But, of course, the naysayers have not devoted any time to the discussion which I began here on August 24, 2010.

Every critique you see on this page alone has already been made several times, and credibly and completely refuted. Pages 1-87 are there for anyone to read, anytime they wish.

But these one-sentence complainers aren't about the debate. Or the fact that Elvis was serious in this example.

They're mad that they didn't find this first. They're jealous that a crucial part of Elvis' Sun history was given a very bright light by another forum member.

Too bad.
It is not a debate if you always think you are always right.

The FACTS speak for themselves:-

In 66 years since Elvis left Sun Records NO-ONE has corroborated anything you say regarding this song.

Sam Phillips, Marion Keisker, Scotty Moore and many more who were at Sun never mentioned it. In all those years there is zero paperwork.

Elvis off the cuff remark (of which he made many) is not to be taken seriously.

I'll deal with those facts not fantasy.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

jeanno wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 am
Elvis mentioned it too many times to be just a joke: that 1954 recording (demo, rehearsal, outtake, whatever) plus the 1955 pied pipper film and the 1969 rehearsal are probably the holy grails of Elvis Presley's music.
And how many times did he tell the story about the underground 8mm film in 1969 shows. It surely couldn't be a joke if he mentioned that many times, right? So, do you believe that, too?

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

One of the theories is that Someone reminded Elvis in August 1970 of something to make him think it was his second record. If that was the case why would Elvis have not remembered that? Maybe because he had a faulty memory about his own career or maybe because it was not true. This just goes round and round. :)

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Domino »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:45 pm
jeanno wrote:
Elvis mentioned it too many times to be just a joke: that 1954 recording (demo, rehearsal, outtake, whatever) plus the 1955 pied pipper film and the 1969 rehearsal are probably the holy grails of Elvis Presley's music.
And how many times did he tell the story about the underground 8mm film in 1969 shows. It surely couldn't be a joke if he mentioned that many times, right? So, do you believe that, too?
Right for a short time in 1969 his monologue bit included the 8mm film ,but then it was gone .Never returned.
But the second record bit returned 2 years later and amazingly was the same record that was being called the second record.
This poor singer with the faulty memory was able to recall part of his monologue when all he had to do was remember the lyrics to his songs.Or maybe it wasn't recalling part of his monologue. Maybe he was recalling a memory .A memory that never changed from year to year.

Maybe all he did wrong was leave out the words "was going to be" .

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

DEH

Post by DEH »

But the second record talk did not start until mid August 1970.

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Domino »

DEH wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:35 pm
The point is he could have picked any number of records to be the second record but he didn't.When he mentioned the second record years after mid 1970 it was still Tiger man.
He discarded monologues and changed parts of monologues but the second record bit remained the same .
Why couldn't he get that out of his head ?

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:00 am
Didn't you self-publish a book on Elvis' music? If so, you better delete that post quick.

I won't bother with most of your comments, as they are your usual mix of error and speciousness. Most of your attacks have already been made in the previous pages here already, and each has been thoroughly and completely dismissed.

Yes. And it's well-researched ...

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Spellbinder wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am
pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 am
The second record introductions also mean nothing - unless you're going to believe everything Elvis said on stage.

non sequitur

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

chop983 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 am
Do we have a list of these songs?

Do we? Yup. Try reading the previous pages of this discussion, instead of wasting bandwidth.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

jeanno wrote:

Correct. Thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

jetblack wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:29 pm
Yet we KNOW 'Tiger Man' was NOT Elvis second record. That would be 'I'll Never Stand In Your Way' / 'It Wouldn't Be The Same (without you)'. Or technically 'That's When Your Heartaches Begin' being the second song cut at 706 Union Avenue in July 1953.

Wrong.

You should leave this discussion as, AGAIN, it is evident you have not bothered to read this discussion topic.

You're just blowing hot air and wasting our time.

You may excel at these two things, but that doesn't mean anyone else appreciates it.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Domino wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 pm
Right for a short time in 1969 his monologue bit included the 8mm film ,but then it was gone .Never returned.

But the second record bit returned 2 years later and amazingly was the same record that was being called the second record.

This poor singer with the faulty memory was able to recall part of his monologue when all he had to do was remember the lyrics to his songs.Or maybe it wasn't recalling part of his monologue. Maybe he was recalling a memory .A memory that never changed from year to year.

Maybe you're using too much facts and logic for the handful of jealous naysayers here. :D

Domino wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:59 pm
DEH wrote:

The point is he could have picked any number of records to be the second record but he didn't.When he mentioned the second record years after mid 1970 it was still Tiger man.

He discarded monologues and changed parts of monologues but the second record bit remained the same .

Careful, you're going to blow too many minds with your facts and observations.

They so wish they could have found this subject, and amplified it for all good fans worldwide. The evidence was always right there.

But none of them ever did. None of them ever noticed. None of them ever made the connection.

Until this topic, created by someone else.

:smt006

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DEH

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:06 pm
Domino wrote:

Maybe you're using too much facts and logic for the handful of jealous naysayers here. :D

Domino wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:59 pm
DEH wrote:

Careful, you're going to blow too many minds with your facts and observations.

They so wish they could have found this subject, and amplified it for all good fans worldwide. The evidence was always right there.

But none of them ever did. None of them ever noticed. None of them ever made the connection.

Until this topic, created by someone else.

Because so much of what Elvis said on stage was either BS or incorrect. And plenty of proof has been given. ::rocks ::rocks

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

DEH wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:11 am
Because so much of what Elvis said on stage was either BS or incorrect. And plenty of proof has been given. ::rocks ::rocks

You excel at being wrong, and arrogantly so.

I wish you'd share this skill this on another forum, though.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DEH

Post by DEH »

Ladies and Gentlemen. The most requested song from Blue Hawaii...The Hawaiin Wedding Song. Uh huh. :)

pmp

Post by pmp »

Domino wrote:
pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:45 pm
jeanno wrote:

That is not true. When the second record comment returned, it was before the Mystery Train/Tiger Man medley, which only lends weight to the argument that Elvis was referring to Mystery Train and not Tiger Man from the outset, but had somehow got mixed up.

Either way, as I repeat for the umpteenth time, nobody is arguing about the notion that it was tried out at Sun. It more than likely was. What they arguing with is the following from the opening post:
Somehow, though, Elvis, Scotty and Bill must have cut a version of "Tiger Man" as a possible follow-up to "That's All Right" (Sun 209), and then producer Sam Phillips pressed acetates for evaluation. Thus the origin of Elvis' "second record" that "not too many people heard" reference.
There is absolutely no evidence or proof or likelihood that Phillips pressed acetates and that it was pencilled in as the second record. Nothing.

But hey, the Doc won't retract it because he likes the attention the thread receives every six months when he comes along to needlessly resurrect it.

pmp

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 pm
pmp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Didn't you self-publish a book on Elvis' music? If so, you better delete that post quick.

I won't bother with most of your comments, as they are your usual mix of error and speciousness. Most of your attacks have already been made in the previous pages here already, and each has been thoroughly and completely dismissed.

And I ask again, where is your book, oh fount of all knowledge? Nowhere. But hey, your reviews under a pseudonym could be compiled into a pamphlet, I guess.

PiersEIN
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by PiersEIN »

pmp wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:19 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 pm
pmp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

And I ask again, where is your book, oh fount of all knowledge? Nowhere.
But hey, your reviews under a pseudonym could be compiled into a pamphlet, I guess.
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:27 am
Elvis adored the song "Tiger Man"
- Elvis listened to KDIA Radio, knew the disc jockeys and the music
- Elvis attended the KDIA Benefit shows in 1956 and 1957
Yes indeed a neat pamphlet where Elvis regularly went to 'KDIA' Radio Goodwill shows! :smt003

And it is nice to see drjohncarpenter thanking me for helping him update his incorrect facts. ::rocks
Remember how much he bangs on when he corrects other FECC members over pernickety facts!

Cheers, Piers

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Steve Morse »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:03 pm
jetblack wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Wrong.

You should leave this discussion as, AGAIN, it is evident you have not bothered to read this discussion topic.

You're just blowing hot air and wasting our time.

You may excel at these two things, but that doesn't mean anyone else appreciates it.
As ill-mannered as ever.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

jeanno wrote:

BTW, where is that new avatar from?

It's quite appealing. :D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:06 am
jeanno wrote:

Looks like this new cover art hit the nail of this particular thread!
It's a rhythm & blues comp focusing on those 1967 / 1971 magical years with TIGER MAN as a linking theme song.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Here's a bit of conjecture to think about - maybe the reference to Tiger Man as a 'second' song is a red herring? Could the medley with Mystery Train indicate that it was at this later session that it was tried out? So maybe it was slated to be a later release? Also, could this cut have been tried out with drums - Johnny Bernero was on this session, or maybe at the I'm Left, You're Right Session with Jimmy Lott? The existence of the test acetate of the slow version of I'm Left You're Right She's Gone (slow version) shows that Sam Phillips was in the habit of doing this at this point, so may have pressed a Tiger Man acetate then?

As I said - just a bit of conjecture. The Mystery Train has been highlighted in previous posts - so maybe the reason for the medley was the fact Elvis remembered recording them together? Could it be possible that Tiger Man was rejected as a possible 5th/6th Sun single?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

AndrewJ wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:08 pm
Here's a bit of conjecture to think about - maybe the reference to Tiger Man as a 'second' song is a red herring? Could the medley with Mystery Train indicate that it was at this later session that it was tried out? So maybe it was slated to be a later release? Also, could this cut have been tried out with drums - Johnny Bernero was on this session, or maybe at the I'm Left, You're Right Session with Jimmy Lott? The existence of the test acetate of the slow version of I'm Left You're Right She's Gone (slow version) shows that Sam Phillips was in the habit of doing this at this point, so may have pressed a Tiger Man acetate then?

As I said - just a bit of conjecture. The Mystery Train has been highlighted in previous posts - so maybe the reason for the medley was the fact Elvis remembered recording them together? Could it be possible that Tiger Man was rejected as a possible 5th/6th Sun single?

I love your suggestions, but I don't think any are feasible.

When Elvis said "Tiger Man" almost became his "second record," he clearly meant his second release for Sun, after "That's All Right" came out in July 1954. That he would perform it alone at the summer 1970 engagement after saying this only underscores his point.

Earlier that month, it was delivered in a medley with "Mystery Train," which Presley debuted at the International the previous summer, and would revisit as the 1970s progressed. Again, the fact he sang "Tiger Man" by itself was significant.

At the time Sam Phillips was working with Elvis on a followup to Sun 209 circa August-September 1954 there were no drummers. Neither Jimmie Lott nor Johnny Bernero were involved.

"Tiger Man" could indeed have been revived in later sessions in 1954 or 1955, but this isn't what Elvis was talking about on stage in the summer of 1970, and sporadically in 1971-1972.

Sam was interviewed many times about the majestic, otherworldly "Mystery Train," which of course was the last single from Elvis on Sun. Never once did he ever mention "Tiger Man" being in the running for that single, or after.

A possible sixth Sun release has often been said to be "When It Rains It Pours" on one side, and perhaps "We're Getting Closer (To Being Apart)" on the other. The latter did not get recorded at Sun, although songwriter Charlie Feathers always claimed it was being planned that way.

Thanks for some intelligence discourse on this very popular FECC topic.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

jeanno wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:06 am

Looks like this new cover art hit the nail of this particular thread!
It's a rhythm & blues comp focusing on those 1967 / 1971 magical years with TIGER MAN as a linking theme song.

It did indeed! It's great, thank you.

Is it available in larger size, perhaps for one to print up?

It's clear many here might like to do that. :D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

pmp

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:42 pm
I love your suggestions, but I don't think any are feasible.

When Elvis said "Tiger Man" almost became his "second record,"
Where does he say "almost?"

These are your transcriptions of his comments:
1. "That was called 'Tiger Man,' that was the second record I ever recorded."
2. "The second record that I ever recorded was called "Tiger Man."
3. "One of, the second record that I recorded was a song called 'Tiger Man,' not too many people heard it."
4. "The second record that I ever recorded, uh, ladies and gentlemen, the story isn't too well known, but not too many people heard it but ... it's called 'Tiger Man.'"
5. "That was called 'Tiger Man,' that was the second record I ever recorded."
6. "The second record that I ever recorded, when I first started out in the business, was called 'Tiger Man.' And, uh (applause), you heard of it? Not too many people did."
7. "I did a song back when I first started out. Not too many people heard it, because I wasn't well-known at the time. My mother and daddy knew me but, uh, (laughs) ... said "Who's that?" ... the sideburns (ack)... uh, anyway, there was this song, it's called 'Tiger Man.' It goes like this ... uh, it's called 'Tiger Man."
8. "The second song that I ever recorded, not too many people heard it because I wasn't too well-known and, uh, it's called 'Tiger Man'."
So where does he say it "almost" became his second recording? He doesn't say that at all. He says that it WAS his second record. So, now you're literally making stuff up.

And he also says in (7) and (8) that people didn't hear it because he "wasn't too well-known." He's not saying people didn't hear it because it wasn't actually the second record he put out. Therefore we have to assume that the record was released, as that's precisely what he's saying.

So, now we are in a position where you want us to accept that Elvis was telling the truth when he was saying these 8 comments. BUT you also want us to NOT believe the statements because you and I both know that the record never came out, AND because the reason people didn't hear it had nothing whatsoever to do with him not being well-known.

And let's also note that (7) doesn't involve him mentioning it being a record at all, but just a song from when he started out. Going by that comment, he could easily have been singing it live at the time but not in the studio.

So, which is it, Doc? Are we believing Elvis's comments or not? You can't pick and choose which bits you believe.
Last edited by pmp on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.