last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Berserk - not a film about FECC. Joan Crawford stars as a circus owner whose acts keep getting murdered. It's a similar set up to Circus of Horrors which I watched a few weeks back. It's lurid and schlocky, but it has its moments, not least Crawford and Diana Dors exchanging insults. The problem with the film is that the action stops every ten minutes or so in order for us to see a complete circus act. By the end of the film, we've seen complete elephant, lion, horse, trapeze, high wire and knife-throwing acts. And performing poodles - I bet Crawford never thought she'd be introducing "intelligent poodles" in one of her final films. There's even a song and dance routine performed by a quartet consisting of a strong man, a "bag of bones," a dwarf, and a bearded lady. This all makes up for about a third of the film, and, towards the end my hand reached for the fast forward button each time an act started. There's a good British supporting cast including Diana Dors, Robert Hardy, and Michael Gough, but neither they or Crawford can save the film from it protracted running time due to the endless circus footage. It's more bloated than Berserk. Alas, Crawford would just make one more film, which would see her teamed up again with Michael Gough. That was the infamous "Trog."

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

The Pride and The Passion with Frank Sinatra, Sophia Loren and Cary Grant, but i wished i hadn't :evil:

A 2/10 for me on this over long war romance plot.

spoiler alert...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050858/

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

last movie you watched

Post by ForeverElvis »

I’m not able to write an extensive review but the two films that I’ve watched most recently in the last week have been The Batman and Tenet.

Tenet
I have all of Christopher Nolan’s films and look forward to each one that he does. He is one of the most talented Directors working right now. I can’t wait to see Oppenheimer next year.

I am a fairly intelligent moviegoer I recognize quality, I recognize crap, I can recognize the misfires. But, “Tenet” confused the hell out of me leaving me cold and indifferent towards it.

It is an astonishing technical achievement, with people and objects, vehicles and armies all moving forwards and backwards within the same frame. I got lost in the narrative, and not in a good way. After about half of the film I honestly didn’t know what was going on, I couldn’t piece the plot together. The performances are downbeat, adequate for the material. The film is overlong but incredible to look at.

I do suggest not to watch it when you’re tired, I wasn’t but I will have to rewatch it again in the next few months. Maybe I’ll be able to put it together then.

The Batman
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this film. I’ve loved or, atat least liked every iteration of the cape crusader on film.

I get quiet enjoyment out of Adam West and Burt Ward in “Batman” (1966). I absolutely loved Michael Keaton in the role in Tim Burton’s “Batman” (1989).

I thought that “Batman Returns” (1992) was too frightening for the audience it was marketed too. I need to rewatch it now as an adult and expect to enjoy it more than I did. “Batman Forever” (1995) I really enjoyed this update on the style of the 1966 TV series. “Batman and Robin” (1997) busy, loud - it rightly gets dumped on.
The less said the better.

“Batman Begins” (2005) was thrilling, bringing the character up to date. Christian Bale instantly became my favorite Batman.

“The Dark Knight” (2008) what more could be said - this may be the perfect superhero film. Heath Ledger deservedly won the Oscar for his performance as The Joker, far surpassing Jack Nicholson’s interpretation back in 1989. The story, editing, cinematography, direction, the supporting performances are all first rate.

“The Dark Knight Rises” (2012) doesn’t surpass “The Dark Knight” four years before, but what could. A thrilling film and a wonderful closure to Nolan’s Batman trilogy.

Ben Affleck’s Batman in the Superman and Justice League films don’t reach the heights Bale and Keaton found. I find him to be a subdued, quiet and uninteresting Bruce Wayne/Batman.

So that brings us to now.
I can’t quite define Robert Pattison‘s performance as Batman/Bruce Wayne. He has so few lines in a long film. His narration is more interesting.

The action scenes are well staged as expected but I didn’t find them exciting. I did find the film quite suspenseful over its long running time. Paul Dano is very creepy as the Riddler and Colin Farrell loses himself in lots of makeup as Oz/The Penguin. I expect to see him as the main villain in the next film. Zoe Kravitz has the most interesting part as Selena Kyle. She is never addressed as Catwoman, I think the character in this film has not transformed into this female villain yet. Maybe in the next film.

I’m not giving anything away by saying that this story takes place two years after Bruce Wayne has become Batman and has not reached the superhero status he would become. In this film he is a feared creature of the night that the police mistrust, except for the detective Lieutenant Gordon who involves Batman in the investigation of several high profile murders.

It’s a good mystery with a twist here, a turn there that kept me interested throughout the film. The Director has surrounded Pattison with highly competent actors and technicians that do all the heavy lifting leaving very little for Patterson, the actor, to actually do.

I recommend the Batman, fans will find much to enjoy and other moviegoers will find it a creative, interesting film with much to offer.

Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:42 am
I’m not able to write an extensive review but the two films that I’ve watched most recently in the last week have been The Batman and Tenet.

Tenet
I have all of Christopher Nolan’s films and look forward to each one that he does. He is one of the most talented Directors working right now. I can’t wait to see Oppenheimer next year.

I am a fairly intelligent moviegoer I recognize quality, I recognize crap, I can recognize the misfires. But, “Tenet” confused the hell out of me leaving me cold and indifferent towards it.

It is an astonishing technical achievement, with people and objects, vehicles and armies all moving forwards and backwards within the same frame. I got lost in the narrative, and not in a good way. After about half of the film I honestly didn’t know what was going on, I couldn’t piece the plot together. The performances are downbeat, adequate for the material. The film is overlong but incredible to look at.

I do suggest not to watch it when you’re tired, I wasn’t but I will have to rewatch it again in the next few months. Maybe I’ll be able to put it together then.

The Batman
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this film. I’ve loved or, atat least liked every iteration of the cape crusader on film.

I get quiet enjoyment out of Adam West and Burt Ward in “Batman” (1966). I absolutely loved Michael Keaton in the role in Tim Burton’s “Batman” (1989).

I thought that “Batman Returns” (1992) was too frightening for the audience it was marketed too. I need to rewatch it now as an adult and expect to enjoy it more than I did. “Batman Forever” (1995) I really enjoyed this update on the style of the 1966 TV series. “Batman and Robin” (1997) busy, loud - it rightly gets dumped on.

“Batman Begins” (2005) was thrilling, bringing the character up to date. Christian Bale instantly became my favorite Batman.

“The Dark Knight” (2008) what more could be said - this may be the perfect superhero film. Heath Ledger deservedly won the Oscar for his performance as The Joker, far surpassing Jack Nicholson’s interpretation back in 1989. The story, editing, cinematography, direction, the supporting performances are all first rate.

“The Dark Knight Rises” (2012) doesn’t surpass “The Dark Knight” four years before, but what could. A thrilling film and a wonderful closure to Nolan’s Batman trilogy.

Ben Affleck’s Batman in the Superman and Justice League films don’t reach the heights Bale and Keaton found. I find him to be a subdued, quiet and uninteresting Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I can’t quite define Robert Pattison‘s performance as Batman/Bruce Wayne. He has so few lines in a long film. His narration is more interesting.

The action scenes are well staged as expected but I didn’t find them exciting. I did find the film quite suspenseful over its long running time. Paul Dano is very creepy as the Riddler and Colin Farrell loses himself in lots of makeup as Oz/The Penguin. I expect to see him as the main villain in the next film. Zoe Kravitz has the most interesting part as Selena Kyle. She is never addressed as Catwoman, I think the character in this film has not transformed into this female villain yet. Maybe in the next film.

I’m not giving anything away by saying that this story takes place two years after Bruce Wayne has become Batman and has not reached the superhero status he would become. In this film he is a feared creature of the night that the police mistrust, except for the detective Lieutenant Gordon who involves Batman in the investigation of several high profile murders.

It’s a good mystery with a twist here, a turn there that kept me interested throughout the film. The Director has surrounded Pattison with highly competent actors and technicians that do all the heavy lifting leaving very little for Patterson, the actor, to actually do.

I recommend the Batman, fans will find much to enjoy and other moviegoers will find it a creative, interesting film with much to offer.
Thanks for the write-up on these two. I will watch Batman eventually, but confess Christopher Nolan leaves me cold these days. I think the last film of his I enjoyed was Inception, and even that was hard to work to get your head around. On the other hand, I thought The Prestige was one of the best American films of the early 2000s.

I confess I'm getting rather excited over the forthcoming blu ray release of Dreyer's bizarre horror movie, Vampyr, made in 1932. The restoration has taken ten years!

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/vampyr-limited-edition-box-set-3000-copies/?fbclid=IwAR2YSkUTCDSX9DgXJtZFZh3nkwhwAZi0d0fSG0aGbHA4pvpj3-Tk07BabrU

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw The Black Castle, which I have on one of the US Scream Factory Universal Horror blu ray collections, but it's coming out in the UK soon via Eureka. This isn't really a horror movie, but a costume drama of sorts, despite shades of Edgar Allan Poe in the last reel. Richard Greene stars as a young man who goes to the titular castle to try to find out what happened to his friends when they disappeared there a few months earlier. Stephen McNally plays the evil count who resides there, Boris Karloff does well in a smallish role as doctor under the thumb of the count, and Lon Chaney Jr plays a dumb minion. This is generally sold as a Karloff film, but he's not in it very much. This is enjoyable enough, and moves along a fair lick, and it hasn't got the rather sadistic tone of something like The Black Room or The Strange Door, which this film otherwise resembles in some ways. The blu ray is excellent, and I'm sure the Eureka version will be, too.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

pmp wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:

Tenet

The Batman

Thanks for the write-up on these two. I will watch Batman eventually, but confess Christopher Nolan leaves me cold these days. I think the last film of his I enjoyed was Inception, and even that was hard to work to get your head around. On the other hand, I thought The Prestige was one of the best American films of the early 2000s.

I confess I'm getting rather excited over the forthcoming blu ray release of Dreyer's bizarre horror movie, Vampyr, made in 1932. The restoration has taken ten years!

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/vampyr-limited-edition-box-set-3000-copies/?fbclid=IwAR2YSkUTCDSX9DgXJtZFZh3nkwhwAZi0d0fSG0aGbHA4pvpj3-Tk07BabrU
Did you see Nolan’s “Dunkirk”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:51 am
pmp wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:

Tenet

The Batman

I actually forgot that was him. Yes, that was a good movie.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Rewatching some old chestnuts.

Psycho (Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh)
The Holiday (Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law).
King Creole (Elvis, Carolyn Jones, Walter Matthau, Vic Morrow)
Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Sat May 07, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

pmp wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:51 am
pmp wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:

Tenet

The Batman

I actually forgot that was him. Yes, that was a good movie.
Nolan’s major films:

1998 Following
2000 Memento
2002 Insomnia
2005 Batman Begins
2006 The Prestige
2008 The Dark Knight
2010 Inception
2012 The Dark Knight Rises
2014 Interstellar
2017 Dunkirk
2020 Tenet

2023 Oppenheimer (not complete)

After his debut film “Following” Nolan has had a spectacular 10 film run. My favorites of his films;

The Batman Trilogy
Insomnia
Prestige
Inception
Dunkirk

Interstellar and Tenet are the hardest to follow.

I’ve not seen 1998’s Following.

I highly recommend all the others.

Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

Ouija,: Origins of Evil tonight. One of those rarities where this sequel is better than the original movie.

I just saw that the local arthouse Cinema is showing Cabaret, Vampyr, Singing in the Rain, Sunset Boulevard, and a kids screening of Hugo in the coming weeks. Quite a lineup. I'm not a regular cinema goer, due to.concentration issues, but Cabaret and Vampyr are very tempting.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

RE Psycho movie, while watching the film for the umpteenth time, i notice something odd with the famous shower scene.

Janet Leigh was already in there BEFORE she turns on the taps. Surely for most of us , you turn the taps first, wait for the temperature you happy with, then step inside, right?

Why didn't someone in the technical crew tap old Hitchcock on the shoulder and alerted him?

It's a minor blemish to possibly the greatest scene in filmmaking history.

pmp

Post by pmp »

In the mid-1940s, while Universal were churning out rather daft films putting together their various monsters, Val Lewton at RKO was producing a series of psychological horror movies that are rightly revered as great films today. Columbia also threw their hat into this ring with Cry of the Werewolf, the Return of the Vampire, and the lesser-known Soul of a Monster. It was Monster that a saw tonight, and found it to be rather disappointing. As her husband lies dying, a woman appeals to the powers that be, whether good or evil, to save him. A woman appears out of nowhere, and saves him, but, months later, she still exerts a fatalistic power over him, pressuring him to commit murder. It's good up to a point, and covers the same ground as Alias Nick Beal, which I discussed here a few weeks ago. But Soul of a Monster doesn't really know what to do with the idea, and the film meanders along with uncertainty for an hour before coming to a final scene that is a cop-out and unsatisfactory (and always has been in the many books and films it has been used in before). By the time the final credit roll, horror has given way to an on-screen message that sends the whole thing into religious claptrap. It's very disappointing, given that I liked Return of the Vampire and Cry of the Werewolf very much.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Uncharted, a rather fun popcorn movie starring Mark Wahlberg and Tom Holland as two men determined to find treasure lost hundreds of years earlier. There are shades of Indiana Jones here, and also of the TV series Relic Hunter (which really should be ripe for a remake). It's nice to find a popcorn movie just now that doesn't run for three hours - in fact, without the end credits, this is just 105 minutes - almost a short movie by recent standards. There wasn't all that much chemistry between the leads, but the separate performances and the tight pacing means that's not missed a great deal. It's interesting seeing Tom Holland switching between big Hollywood movies such as this and more offbeat ones, in much the same way that Johnny Depp did back in the day (not that that ended happily). I'd place money on there being a sequel.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Journey to the Beginning of Time (US title), a film that I've not come across before, but which I believe was rather popular in the US in the 1960s and 1970s. This is actually a Czech film about four boys who travel back in time so that one of them can see the animal that he has recently found in a fossil. It's an odd/unique film in that there's no time machines etc, they just enter a cave and travel down a river, encounter each historic time period, starting with the ice age and going further back. Apparently the US version added extra scenes where this strange journey is explained away. It's basically an educational film for kids for the most part, but it's oddly fascinating, too, and beautifully made. The only actors in the Czech original are the four boys, which is remarkable in itself. The animals and dinosaurs that they encounter on their journey are nearly all stop-motion (even things like flamingos which still exist today), with the exception of a leopard, for which stock footage is used for some of the scene. It's quite a technical achievement for 1955. The blu ray release by Second Sight in the UK looks glorious, and the restoration comparison demonstrates just how much work has been done on it. A pretty unique film, and well worth ninety minutes of your time.

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Shame "Selskapsresan" doesnt have eng subs , classic swedish vacation comedy (and it had several sequels , SOS is the boating one which is maybe the best sequel)

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw The Monolith Monsters, part of a recent Eureka Masters of Cinema blu ray set. This film from 1957 is clearly influenced by the recent success of the Quatermass films in that the "aliens" that are threatening a small town are neither human or animal-like, but a series of giant rocks that grow and multiply when they get in contact with water. Yes, it's a kind of stone Gremlins. Likewise, in one of the Quatermass films, the "alien" is, well, a kind of sludge. The narrative is quite similar as experts and scientists try to stop it. It's relatively intelligent stuff, especially given some of the sci-fi films of the same period - from fifty foot women to mole people. Grant Williams is the lead - and he'd make one of the best sci-fi films of the 1950s shortly after, taking the lead in The Incredible Shrinking Man. Good stuff, and looks great on blu ray.

pmp

Post by pmp »

A couple of things this weekend. Firstly the feature-length documentary: Boris Karloff - the Man Behind the Monster, which is a pretty regular biography of the horror star, but had enough snippets and clips that I hadn't seen before (or info I didn't know before) to keep me interested. And also The Man Who Cheated Death. This is a Hammer horror which is based on a stage play, and never manages to open up enough to be totally satisfying, with almost the entire film taking in place in three or four indoor locations. Still Anton Diffring does well here, as does Christopher Lee, as a good guy for once!

pmp

Post by pmp »

Back to the Nightmare on Elm Street series, which I intend to watch in order through the next couple of weeks (but stopping in 1994 with New Nightmare). The first film, viewed tonight, holds up very well, even close to forty years after its release. Some of the acting is somewhat wooden, but the amount of imagination on display here is remarkable, and would ultimately lead to a series of 7 films over the next decade. Some were good, some were awful, and some were downright strange. Talking of strange, Nightmare 2 tomorrow probably.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge tonight. *Contains spoilers*

One of the few sequels that appears to have been written about just as much as the original movie. The reason is that this is probably the queerest mainstream horror film ever made. A boy called Jesse (a play on the word "jessie," slang for a gay or effeminate man) has moved into the house lived in by Nancy in the first film. Mark Patton, who plays Jesse, spends roughly half of the running time dressed in nothing but briefs, covered in sweat and writhing in bed. The head coach at the school is a gay man into leather and S/M, and spends his nights at leather bars, and who ends up being killed by balls (literally) and being towel-whipped naked in the shower. Meanwhile Jesse becomes friends with a jock at the school, who he goes to in his hour of need. "Something is trying to get inside my body," Jesse tells him. The jock refers to Jesse's girlfriend in his reply: "Yes, and she's female. And you wanna sleep with me." At another point, Jesse declares "He's inside me, and he wants to take me again." There's little doubt what the film is about, and the gay subtext (is it even a subtext or on the surface?) has led to it being read as a social commentary on the early years of the AIDS crisis.

Beyond the queerness, the rest of the film suffers considerably because it breaks away from the logic that rules the first film. In that film, the teens were only threatened when they were asleep. But that's not the case in the second movie, as Freddy quickly breaks through into the real world by possessing Jesse's body. It doesn't make a great deal of sense, and nobody is really sure by the end as to what Freddy is. But, in true Hollywood fashion, everything gets back to normal with a kiss from a pretty girl. This not only gets rid of Freddy surprisingly easily, but also seems to cure Jesse of his apparent homosexuality, and we can only assume that he's now married with a wife and kids.

pmp

Post by pmp »

The bfi have cancelled their forthcoming blu ray of Targets, so I dug out the DVD tonight. It really is a superb film, with Karloff playing an ageing horror star who agrees to do one last public engagement. Meanwhile, a sniper is terrorising the city, and he makes his way to cause yet more carnage at the drive-in that Karloff is on his way to. Peter Bogdanovich made his directing debut with this, and also acts in the film. It's a great piece of work, and, while not Karloff's final role, it is regarded as his last great performance.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Unusually for me, two movies today. Yesterday I watched Targets, Peter Bogdanovich's first movie, and today I watched The Great Buster, a documentary that was his last movie, although I confess I didn't realise it was directed by Bogdanovich when I put it on. The Great Buster fits nicely into our current golden period for the documentary. There have been many great ones over the last decade, especially those dealing with TV, film and music. The Great Buster is a fine celebration of the life and work of Buster Keaton, but it doesn't really take us anywhere different or tell us anything new. I'm sure the appearance of current stars such as Johnny Knoxville might have helped it gain some attention, but it's a pretty safe film overall and, apart from copious clips (some rare), it isn't as thorough or as illuminating as A Hard Act to Follow, made in 1987 by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill.

Also tonight was A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, which, for me and many others, is the best of the Elm Street sequels, and arguably better even than the original film. Here, the last of the Elm Street children are suffering from nightmares and have been placed in a clinic. Nancy Thompson from the first film is now a doctor specialising in dreams and night terrors, and ends up back in Springwood treating the teenagers, who have worked out how to suck each other into their own dream world. It's a remarkable concept and works perfectly. It throws out all of the idiocy and trashiness of the second film, and replaces it with a series of grotesque nightmare sequence plus some surprisingly intelligent writing. It doesn't all work - the Ray Harryhausen-esque finale looks very bad - but this is as good a sequel as I've seen in a horror franchise. It benefits, too, from some fine performances, especially from Laurence Fishburne and Patricia Arquette, and Heather Langenkamp is much better here than in the first film. Rodney Eastman is also superb as Joey, one of the most sympathetic characters in the whole series, despite the fact he only has two or three lines of dialogue in the entire film.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Colossus of New York, which is a surprisingly effective little sci-fi(ish) horror thriller-type thing. This story of a scientist who takes the brain of his dead son and transplants it into a robot really should be laughable, but it actually works rather well. It's a variation on the Frankenstein theme, but oddly moving at times, especially when the brain in the robot reconnects with his son. There are some elements (such as the robot being psychic) which are brought up and then swiftly dropped, but it's genuinely effective, and I say this as someone coming to it expecting a piece of crap. The blu ray from 101 Films looks good, too.

Yesterday, I waded through Nightmare on Elm Street 4: Dream Master, which isn't particularly bad, but it does feel like a 90 minute long music video. But the series was on the slide by this point, and some very strange decisions were made to kill off beloved characters first seen in the previous film, and one of the more interesting characters in this one. Freddy, meanwhile, has completed his transformation into a comedian, pulling a teenager into his water bed and asking him "how's that for a wet dream?" It also has one of the downright weirdest moments in the entire series, when Freddy is resurrected by...errr...dog's pee.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Coming to Blu-ray in July from @WarnerArchive

•Adventures of Don Juan (1948)

Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:54 pm
Coming to Blu-ray in July from @WarnerArchive

•Adventures of Don Juan (1948)

Oh, that's nice! I have to say the classic film releases have dried up considerably this year compared to the previous few years.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Last night I returned to Scooby Doo, with "Camp Scare," which is one of the many straight-to-video animated features that have been issued over the last 25 years. Many are excellent, some are not (particularly those with guest stars or that are crossovers). Camp Scare fits somewhere in the middle. Fred goes back to his old summer camp to be a counsellor, but an urban legend has come to life and is scaring everyone away. Have to say that some scenes would be pretty frightening for really young kids, and some jokes are certainly aimed at adult audiences rather than kids. Enjoyable way to spend 75 minutes, though.

Tonight, I turned to The Final Edition, an early 1930s newspaper/crime drama about a young female reporter trying to make her mark in an office full of men by cosying up to a crime syndicate and trying to solve a murder. It's pretty typical B-movie stuff, with a pre-code edge, but certainly not as good as some of the other newspaper films of the period.