"Me and a Guy named Elvis" comments + video added

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

is it just me, or does priscilla not look happy at all in any of those pictures?

the beaulieus and jerry look great, but then there's priscilla looking like somebody killed a proverbial puppy.

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

bpd
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by bpd »

Elvis' Babe wrote:is it just me, or does priscilla not look happy at all in any of those pictures?

the beaulieus and jerry look great, but then there's priscilla looking like somebody killed a proverbial puppy.
She's just had a little too much work done on her face. It's probably the only expression that looks reasonably normal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bpd

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Cryogenic wrote:See, the problem is, when someone makes a fluffy account, particularly charting their friendship with a man as turbulent, and living as turbulent a life, through as turbulent a period of history, as Elvis Presley, alarm bells should start ringing. "What's he not telling us?" JS has no doubt sweetened his recollections and tamed them for our "benefit", and, let's not fool ourselves, EPE's, with which he is closely associated. I'm not after dirt; I'm after truth. This book is just a fantasy piece. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm shutting up now. Point made.
Wow Cryo... you sure have a lot of opinions about a book you haven't even read... but I'm sure
your comments have all the credibility in the world...
:roll:

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by JeroenNL »

Just started reading the book. I love the first chapters where he writes about being a kid in Memphis at that time. Love the stories about the football field, meeting and playing with Elvis and also ending up backstage at a concert at the 'Chista Hotel' (hope I got the name right). I am now at the part where he's been in Graceland for the first time, pretty interresting!. So far I like the way it is written and wat to keep reading in the book.

elvis67
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by elvis67 »

The first part is OK and interesting. But he doesnt really go into details after 1971 ( except for a very interesting review of the new gladiators project ) and doesn't really give his opinion on elvis problems
Seems like he wants to please everyone. Not a bad book . But not a must too.
Last edited by elvis67 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Johanesson wrote:Jerry dedicates his book on aug. 26.

Who is this girl? She is gorgeous!!!

elbo51
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by elbo51 »

I believe its his wife :)

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Cryogenic »

The fact that young/ol' Priscilla is there speaks volumes. But here's a straight up deal: if Jerry releases an audio book version of this, I'll buy it. I could listen to that man talk for hours!

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Johanesson »

They are looking like a real family :D

Image Image

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

This guy is no dummy!

nigel
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by nigel »

Hi everyone

EIN has added its detailed review of Jerry's book today:
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_schilling.html

There are some powerful moments in the book, great doses of humor and some important revelations. As a memoir about a friendship, rather than a tell-all about negative issues, it works particularly well.

Nigel
EIN

Topic author
PEP

Post by PEP »

Found this on you tube this morning,
thought it would go nicely with this thread.....

PEP 8)

Me
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Me »

It's a great book. Go out and get it.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Thanks for the link PEP! I always love how Jerry refers to Elvis as a "genius," which of course he was.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

one interesting thing from that clip was when Jerry claimed he was their on Elvis's Las Vegas closing night on 12.12.76!.... was that true? i thought he was long gone by then from Elvis?.....unless he flew in specially for closing from the west coast??

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

I read the book about a month or so ago. Thought it was a pretty
good book. No rare or new info we didn't no about already in it
of course.

You know Jerry didn't want to write anything in it that would upset
Priscilla or EPE cause that would mess up that relationship he has
with them.

But still a nice book to have and read.

KHoots

Re: "Me and a Guy named Elvis" comments + video added

Post by KHoots »

I picked up a copy of Jerry's book over the weekend, and started reading it. I love the early Memphis years information, as it sets the table for what is to come. It is cool to see that Jerry was actually one of the listeners to Dewey Phillips as he spun "That's All Right."

He recalls Dewey introducing the song from--I'm paraphrasing--a "North Memphis boy from Humes High..." When I read that, I was struck by the story we're used to hearing about how Dewey tracked down Elvis in the theater, got him into the studio for an interview and at that point made it clear that he attended Humes.

Which is it? Did Dewey already know Elvis was from Humes and introduced the song with that information, or did Elvis inform the listeners himself when he was interviewed? (By the way, I'm not sure I ever bought the old story about how Elvis had no idea that he was being interviewed until it was over, either, but that's a story for a different day). It makes for a great story to think Elvis was unaware of being interviewed, but I'm not sure of its believability. I tend to think Dewey knew Elvis attended Humes and introduced the song as Jerry says in the book.

The pictures are no great shakes, in my opinion. I would prefer other shots--Guthrie Park, for example. That was such a pivotal location in their relationship, that it would be great to see it.

Overall, as I said, I just got started on the book, so there is a long way to go. I am now looking forward to it, where before I kind of dismissed it as "unnecessary."

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years 1 month
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

KHoots wrote:I picked up a copy of Jerry's book over the weekend, and started reading it. I love the early Memphis years information, as it sets the table for what is to come. It is cool to see that Jerry was actually one of the listeners to Dewey Phillips as he spun "That's All Right."

He recalls Dewey introducing the song from--I'm paraphrasing--a "North Memphis boy from Humes High..." When I read that, I was struck by the story we're used to hearing about how Dewey tracked down Elvis in the theater, got him into the studio for an interview and at that point made it clear that he attended Humes.

Which is it? Did Dewey already know Elvis was from Humes and introduced the song with that information, or did Elvis inform the listeners himself when he was interviewed? (By the way, I'm not sure I ever bought the old story about how Elvis had no idea that he was being interviewed until it was over, either, but that's a story for a different day). It makes for a great story to think Elvis was unaware of being interviewed, but I'm not sure of its believability. I tend to think Dewey knew Elvis attended Humes and introduced the song as Jerry says in the book.

The pictures are no great shakes, in my opinion. I would prefer other shots--Guthrie Park, for example. That was such a pivotal location in their relationship, that it would be great to see it.

Overall, as I said, I just got started on the book, so there is a long way to go. I am now looking forward to it, where before I kind of dismissed it as "unnecessary."

Everyone needs a Friend like Jerry Schilling in their lives, he wrote the Book out of Love and Respect for Elvis and Lisa Marie and it's one I never grow tired of. I still look at my favourites parts in it now and again, you're right about the photos though,I would have thought we would have got some rare one's in it. Enoy it KHoots.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

TIGERMAN-GB

Re:

Post by TIGERMAN-GB »

Cryogenic wrote:if Jerry releases an audio book version of this, I'll buy it. I could listen to that man talk for hours!
Guess what?

8)

Tigerman GB ;) smt201 FIFTIES JUNKIE ::rocks

Some may have come close but few have ever equaled.

The sun never sets on a legend.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vnhouten/
http://www.planetexe.com/Elvis45rpm/
http://www.myspace.com/tigerman_gb

Jth

Re: Re:

Post by Jth »

TIGERMAN-GB wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:if Jerry releases an audio book version of this, I'll buy it. I could listen to that man talk for hours!
Guess what?

8)
But it is not narrated by Jerry himself :wink: , like he wanted

TIGERMAN-GB

Re: Re:

Post by TIGERMAN-GB »

Jth wrote:
TIGERMAN-GB wrote:
Guess what?

8)
But it is not narrated by Jerry himself :wink: , like he wanted
Some you win, some you lose, it was the best I could find,

maybe he did'nt want to spend hours talking into a microphone.

8)

Tigerman GB ;) smt201 FIFTIES JUNKIE ::rocks

Some may have come close but few have ever equaled.

The sun never sets on a legend.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vnhouten/
http://www.planetexe.com/Elvis45rpm/
http://www.myspace.com/tigerman_gb

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

KHoots wrote:Did Dewey already know Elvis was from Humes and introduced the song with that information, or did Elvis inform the listeners himself when he was interviewed? It makes for a great story to think Elvis was unaware of being interviewed, but I tend to think Dewey knew Elvis attended Humes and introduced the song, as Jerry says in the book.

Which is it?
Does anyone have an answer/opinion to what this poster asked?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

KHoots wrote:
KHoots wrote:Did Dewey already know Elvis was from Humes and introduced the song with that information, or did Elvis inform the listeners himself when he was interviewed? It makes for a great story to think Elvis was unaware of being interviewed, but I tend to think Dewey knew Elvis attended Humes and introduced the song, as Jerry says in the book.

Which is it?
Dewey probably knew.

He got Elvis to mention it in the interview, because it revealed that, however 'black' the kid sounded like on the record, he was actually white !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years 1 month
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

KHoots wrote:

Which is it?
Jerry recalls Dewey introducing the record like this

''Look out good People, I got something here that's so good when I heard this one I almost swallowed my Gold Tooth. We got a new record here that ain't even dry yet, and this little number is sung by a fine young man who just one year ago received his dee-ploma from Humes High School right up there in North Memphis....how 'bout that?'' Elvis was in the Studio ready to be interviewed at that time, so maybe Dewey asked Elvis whilst the record was playing.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010