Let It Roll - It's Midnight (Take 1 - NOT!)

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Keith F

Let It Roll - It's Midnight (Take 1 - NOT!)

Post by Keith F »

On the new CD "Let It Roll" we have what is claimed to be the unreleased Take 1 of 'It's Midnight'.

Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but it's the same take as the version on "Platinum" (listed as Take 10).

Here's a comparison of the two tracks laid on top of each other:-

It's Midnight - Let It Roll / Platinum Comparison

I've left a very smal gap (sounds like an echo) so it's easier to hear any differences between them, but there aren't any differences!

I wonder if Madison have any explanations, or did Ernst get it wrong listing it as Take 10 on "Platinum"?

Either way, it's not unreleased!

Jean-Marc

Post by Jean-Marc »

Hmmm, take 10 of It's Midnight, preceeded by a brief rehearsal, was included by mistake in the first version of MADE IN MEMPHIS.

When it was noticed that this take had already been used on PLATINUM, Ernst replaced it with take 11. I'm sure this is how it leaked through to the bootleggers...

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by drghanem »

Jean-Marc wrote:Hmmm, take 10 of It's Midnight, preceeded by a brief rehearsal, was included by mistake in the first version of MADE IN MEMPHIS.

When it was noticed that this take had already been used on PLATINUM, Ernst replaced it with take 11. I'm sure this is how it leaked through to the bootleggers...
You surely mean that take 10 was planned for inclusion on Made In Memphis, but replaced. Or are there 2 different versions of MADE IN MEMPHIS on the market?

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Jean-Marc wrote:Hmmm, take 10 of It's Midnight, preceeded by a brief rehearsal, was included by mistake in the first version of MADE IN MEMPHIS.

Which accidentally reveals the source of most of the material found on the Madison release(s), ouch!!!

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

On further investigation .................

I've discovered that the Alternate Take of 'Bosom Of Abraham' on "Let It Roll" is also the same take (Take 3) as the "Platinum" version, but "Let It Roll" has extra dialogue before and after the take.

Reading these comments above, I wonder if this take of 'Bosom Of Abraham' was going to be used on "Easter Special" and then someone realised that it was already released on "Platinum, so another take (Take 7) was used instead, on "Easter Special", before the final Master disc was pressed! (Original pressing leaked to the bootleggers?).

The same goes for the stereo takes of 'Without Love', could they all have been originally intended for 'Memphis Sessions'?

It now makes you think, doesn't it?

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

One thing is for certain, the bootleggers have obviously been fooled into thinking these were unreleased outtakes to being with when indeed they were not. It seems that most of the material seems to be stuff that was readied for official release at some point and then either scrapped or released in a different format (with edits, new mixes, etc). Hardly what I would call essential but certainly nice to have from a fan's perspective.

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

Don't get me wrong, "Let It Roll" is an essential release, with the pre-song banter and no fade outs etc... included with the songs. I just wish Madison had done their homework first, before claiming that certain tracks were unreleased when they weren't.

This is deceiving the fans!

Topic author
Rob

Re: Let It Roll - It's Midnight (Take 1 - NOT!)

Post by Rob »

Keith F wrote:Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but it's the same take as the version on "Platinum" (listed as Take 10).
You didn't at all. I'm still looking forward to this release.

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff

Let it roll- its midnight

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... Thats a problem with sooo many outtakes available, on so many

different releases, nowdays. One can loose sight over it, I guess?

Still, I like Roll a lot, and theres still enough left thats "new" , and

to enjoy! Esspecially in such amazing soundquality.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

yes the sound quality on a 'free' download might be ok for a spoken goon show, but give me the real CD quality anytime. besides the QUALITY of the sound on 'let it roll' is better than platinum etc so don't forget that!! :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

Keith

Well done. Thanks

Ray

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

This is great news, now I can just make a CDR from my boxsets... :D

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
Keith F

Re: Let it roll- its midnight

Post by Keith F »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Thats a problem with sooo many outtakes available, on so many different releases, nowdays. One can loose sight over it, I guess?
Not me, I check everything!

Another thing I noticed on "Let It Roll" is that they have on the tracklisting "I'm Leaving - Take 8" (Unedited), this should read "Take 5"

Hopefully "Master & Session" will soon be updated to include all of the 1970's sessions - This should help the Bootleggers out in future, as to what has and hasn't been released! :wink:

I'll find out if "Master & Session" is going to be updated or not, because if it isn't, then I'll add another section to my site for "Sessions", and include all of this information.

I may even write a book (or three!) :lol:

Ciscoking

Re: Let it roll- its midnight

Post by Ciscoking »

Keith F wrote:
I'll find out if "Master & Session" is going to be updated or not, because if it isn't, then I'll add another section to my site for "Sessions", and include all of this information.
Keith..that would be great..too many wrong take numbers all around.
If everyone just takes the take numbers written on the back covers for granted..many of us will have a total mess of wrong takes in their lists soon....that`s one of the reasons I oftenly contact you, my friend.
You seem to be theonly one who is able to keep pace with what is right or wrong.
It`s a pitty Master and Sesions doesn`t keep us up to date any more.
I don´t really know how they will catch up with everything that`s been released the past few years....Ithink before they start with hte 70`s they will be busy another few years with updating the 50`s and 60`s.
If I can help you in any way...just holler..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff

let it roll- its

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... I remember, reading here, on the mb, a certain fan not liking

the studio version mix of My Way, as it had too much echo on his

voice. On Roll, its the original 1971 mix. I dont have the RCA 1995

release anymore, and I was wondering if the original mix, from 71,

is to be prefered? Its not one of my favourite songs, but as part of

Let It Roll, it works well. Especially after the hardest rockin version

Ive ever heard of Promised Land. RCA or FTD never ever released

this song in such sound quality! The best cd in a long time. And

probably the best sounding 70s songs Ive ever heard. And that

said by a 50s fan, must say something... And maybe not...?

thenexte

Re: let it roll- its

Post by thenexte »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... I remember, reading here, on the mb, a certain fan not liking

the studio version mix of My Way, as it had too much echo on his

voice. On Roll, its the original 1971 mix. I dont have the RCA 1995

release anymore, and I was wondering if the original mix, from 71,

is to be prefered? Its not one of my favourite songs, but as part of

Let It Roll, it works well. Especially after the hardest rockin version

Ive ever heard of Promised Land. RCA or FTD never ever released

this song in such sound quality! The best cd in a long time. And

probably the best sounding 70s songs Ive ever heard. And that

said by a 50s fan, must say something... And maybe not...?
I think the same pretty much applies for the '73 Stax material, that was revisionistically remixed by BMG for the 2000 "Promised Land" reissue. In the process it was literally denoised to death and robbed of all its original ambience, what a shame. Luckily enough, we got a rare glimpse into what the original rough mixdowns from these sessions sounded like when some of them sneaked out a couple of years ago and were later released on the "From Louisiana to Tennessee" boot.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Keith, do let us know when you've solved the world hunger problem.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

Keith, no good deed goes unpunished around here.

:D

For my part, I'd LOVE to have access to your files.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvissessions.com wrote:... no good deed goes unpunished around here.
The folks at Madison might appreciate that comment.

If you take a careful look at MB response to the Madison discs -- obviously made by fans for fans -- Keith more often than not seems to add something negative, or compliments in a back-handed fashion.

Do you honestly believe the label is "deceiving the fans"? I don't.

And in this case, his prose bordered on the hysterical, thus my tongue-in-cheek request. I look forward to my copy of Let It Roll.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvispresleyfan1935

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

I got my copy today...it is a great cd don't think you will be disappointed at all...excellent material! :lol:

KingElvis

Post by KingElvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvissessions.com wrote:... no good deed goes unpunished around here.
The folks at Madison might appreciate that comment.

If you take a careful look at MB response to the Madison discs -- obviously made by fans for fans -- Keith more often than not seems to add something negative, or compliments in a back-handed fashion.

Do you honestly believe the label is "deceiving the fans"? I don't.

And in this case, his prose bordered on the hysterical, thus my tongue-in-cheek request. I look forward to my copy of Let It Roll.
I dont think Madison is deceiving the fans,either they didnt know or the tape supplier didnt know regarding Bosom of abraham and its midnight tracks beeing released on PLATINUM box 9 years ago.
I appreciate the "investigation" Keith did regarding this cd,if something is not what it seems to be regarding bootlegs or FTD for that matter I sure like to know about it.Like someone else here said,its hard to keep up with all the alternate takes released over the years.....but thats not a complain from my point of view :D
Promised land is a few sec longer on this release compared to PLATINUM and besides the master this is the best outtake of the song so far.
Let It Roll is still a recommended purchase.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Keith, do let us know when you've solved the world hunger problem.
C`mon Doc...his offer is great.

There are so many releases with wrong take numbers ..starting with FTD.
If Keith wouldn`t tell us from time to time ....many fans would have wrong records....and pass over these wrong records to other fans.
Keith kindly answers my emails and even sends me his sessions lists without asking.
I must admit - regarding Elvis sessions..he simply is the best.
We once had e-cat..but he is gone..he had great knowledge about this stuff, too.....E-cat..where are you....??... :lol:

So Keith...a new section with wrong take numbers or 70`s sessions or
updated 50`s and 60´s sessions....or all.. would be highly appreciated...not only by me.. :wink:

Doc..of course you are a great guy too...your knowledge - especially anything about Elvis in the 50`s and 60`s -is outstanding....really...

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Larry Dickman.

Post by Larry Dickman. »

drjohncarpenter wrote: add something negative, or compliments in a back-handed fashion.
Much like yourself when it comes to anything Elvis did after 1970.......sure would like to know what your credentials are for such an unrelenting negative mindset.....

Spellbinder

Re: Let It Roll - It's Midnight (Take 1 - NOT!)

Post by Spellbinder »

Keith F wrote:On the new CD "Let It Roll" we have what is claimed to be the unreleased Take 1 of 'It's Midnight'.

Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but it's the same take as the version on "Platinum" (listed as Take 10).

I wonder if Madison have any explanations, or did Ernst get it wrong listing it as Take 10 on "Platinum"?
Now that I'm the proud possessor of Let It Roll I've finally been able to listen to the track in question.

I favour Keith's second explanation. IMHO it has "take 1" stamped all over it. Could it be something as simple as a typo somewhere along the line? Could someone have written "10" instead of "1" or read "1" as "10"?

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

drjohncarpenter wrote:If you take a careful look at MB response to the Madison discs -- obviously made by fans for fans -- Keith more often than not seems to add something negative, or compliments in a back-handed fashion.
I can assure you it's certainly not just the Madison releases I pick faults with! (just ask Ernst! :wink: )

If I notice a wrong take number, or a wrongly listed concert date, I will let the fans know about it. Otherwise, as Ciscoking quite rightly pointed out, many fans would unknowingly have the wrong records, and pass around the wrong information to other fans.

I have pointed out quite a few mistakes (wrong information) to Ernst and Kevan regarding the FTD discs (as well as regular BMG discs), and instead of taking my comments as criticism, they have took them as a compliment, that someone actually goes to the trouble of checking them. In many cases they have changed their own (wrong) information, and told me it would be corrected on future pressings of the discs.

This is the way it should be, fans helping out fans, and my comments regarding the wrong information listed on "Let It Roll" are nothing more than that - just trying to set the record straight!