Stunning original reel to reel 1957 recording session tape!!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Stunning original reel to reel 1957 recording session tape!!

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I was browsing on ebay when I saw this item for sale, it is item number: 280062126156, Elvis Presley Studio Safety Master Reel to Reel Tape
Extremely Rare Original 1957 Recording Session Tape 8) 8) 8). The seller claims that he has contacted RCA Officials and that they have verified the authenticy of this music reel. It tells it has multiple takes of different songs of this January 1957 recording studio session. If it turns to be original and it is not contained in the RCA vaults, it would be great if they at BMG make an agreement for this. This would be a great release to be released next year for the 30th Anniversary, personally I can´t wait for Tell Me Why outtakes. Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon May 28, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garry100

Post by garry100 »

Here is the ebay seller's ad:

I received this reel-to-reel tape from the mother of a friend who passed away several years ago. My best understanding is that someone owed the friend a large sum of money and let him keep this tape as collateral but never made good on the loan. This is a reel-to-reel studio tape of Elvis Presley, which was recorded in January and February of 1957 at Radio Recorders Studio in Hollywood, California. It is believed to be one of two back up tapes known as a “safety” in existence. There are twelve songs on the tape. One of the identifying peculiarities of this tape is the between song bantering by Elvis and others in the studio. Another characteristic unique to the tape is an early stop on the cut “All Shook Up” as the tape obviously ran out. This has been verified through BMG/RCA officials. The tape is ¼ inch in width is chocolate in color and has paper splicing between each recording. This paper splicing technique has not been utilized since the 1960’s. The bidder who has the good fortune to purchase this piece of music history should have it professionally re-mastered for preservation purposes. The tape is in excellent condition at the present time but I am told that in time, it will begin to deteriorate. The songs that are included on the tape are as follows:

1. Let’s Have a Party
2. I Believe
3. Got a Lot o' Lotta Livin’ To Do
4. All Shook Up
5. Mean Woman Blues
6. Peace in the Valley
7. I Beg of You
8. That’s When Your Heartaches Begin
9. Tell Me Why
10. Don’t Leave Me Now
11. One Night with You
12. True Love

The tape is a piece of music history and extremely rare-nearly impossible to obtain unless, of course, you can talk BMG/RCA out of theirs. The bidding will begin at $28000. A recent Ebay auction for a Velvet Underground acetate from a 1966 recording session fetched $155,401 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/VELVET-UNDERGROUND-NICO-1966-Acetate-LP-ANDY-WARHOL_W0QQitemZ300054910309QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is Elvis uncut and raw as well as the polished product as there are multiple takes of all of the songs on the tape including the ones that were selected to be put on the box set entitled THE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a piece of American music history. I will provide copies of my communications with officials from BMG/RCA that will verify that this is what I profess it to be. Bidders with feedbacks of less than 50 are required to contact me before bidding. I reserve the right to cancel any bids that I consider to be fraudulent, frivolous or in any way unacceptable. Please feel free to contact me with questions.

Under no circumstances does this transaction, when completed, give or imply to give anyone the right to copy, distribute or sell the content of this tape including audio/music/conversations heard thereon.

For payment, I will accept a 10% deposit of the agreed upon price with the balance due 24 hours after the completion of the auction in the form of a cashiers check.

Never say never

likethebike
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by likethebike »

I don't think it would be the property of BMG. However the person got ahold of it when RCA was sold the BMG the deal was most likely for all available assets. For them to claim ownership of every single piece of material that was ever in the company's possession would set a disastrous legal precedent and tie up the courts with similar cases for years.

If everything RCA ever owned legally belonged to BMG, Ernst wouldn't be meeting people with suitcases full of money.

I hope it's true. I hope the person has not made a mistake and this is not just another tape. A lot of people do that. At this point in the ball game, I had given up hope on an alternate of "All Shook Up."

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

Come on - think about it!

Look at the track list - This is a "Master" tape reel! Probably the same reel that was recently discovered and used on the Follow That Dream upgraded "Loving You" set. The in between chat is probably nothing more than the count-in for each "Master".

I really hope I'm wrong about this, but don't hold your breath on it being any more than that!

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

stunning original

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... Bummer, bummer, Xmas bummer!

Its a radio recorders reel to reel with nothing new on it it , except a few

minor count ins, and a few words of dialogue. Ernst and me went

thru parts of the tape, as far back as the mid 80s, while visiting

Thorne Nogar. I actualy have photos of the tape box, that will be

in my 1957 photo book, if I ever come around finishing it...

This tape has been up for auction before, not so long ago. I believe

its Thorne's family who are trying to sell it.

... Sorry, but Xmas miracles only happen in Hollywood movies...

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Good tape to use for SACD or other high definition/resolution audio release.

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

stunning original

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... This is a so called safety copy. The studio made, and kept

these after sending out the original to NY. At the time, some 20

years ago, Thorne had at least half a dozen 'safety' copies in

his office. Ernst checked them all. One of them, The masters to

the Jailhouse Rock recordings, was featured in the thread about

bootleg cover art, earlier this year... a looong and interesting

thread... 8)

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

This looks like something any of us could make ourselves. I wouldn't pay $28 let alone $28,000. There are several red flags.
So RCA verified the tape ran out! Cool.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by ritchie valens »

how does rca have session reels for jan 13 and 19 and not the session reels from jan 12 ? the story i had heard was bones howe found the tapes when radio recorders was doing a vault clean out in the trash.
doesn't the others exist?

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Re: stunning original

Post by Mike Windgren »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Bummer, bummer, Xmas bummer!

Its a radio recorders reel to reel with nothing new on it it , except a few

minor count ins, and a few words of dialogue. Ernst and me went

thru parts of the tape, as far back as the mid 80s, while visiting

Thorne Nogar. I actualy have photos of the tape box, that will be

in my 1957 photo book, if I ever come around finishing it...

This tape has been up for auction before, not so long ago. I believe

its Thorne's family who are trying to sell it.

... Sorry, but Xmas miracles only happen in Hollywood movies...

I trust you Mr. Ger Rijff :!:. I have contacted the seller and asked him if it is the Thorne Nogar safety copy session reels :? :? :?, I hope he clears this up :) :). But it would be great to have all those count-ins and dialogue before the original masters 8) 8) 8). By the way, what is that you mentioned about a 1957 photo book? :o :o :o. Please let us know. Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Here you have my question to the seller:

Hello!!

Please let me know if this is the original Thorne Nogar Elvis engineer safety copy recording session reels?. How many takes are there of each song?. Thank you!!. :?:.

Here is the answer from the seller: item: 280062126156.

Yes to the first question. There is one take of the 12 songs I list in the brief including all shook up that stops just before the last,i'm all shook up. One of Mr. Jorgensen's questions was conserning wether all shook up stops because Elvis and the band stops playing or because the tape runs out. Who would know to ask that question but someone who was privy to the answer. Thank you very kindly for your questions :cry: :cry: :cry:.

You are right again mr. Ger Rijff 8) 8) 8), thumbs up :!:. By the way what about your planned 1957 photo book?. Once again mr. Ernst Jorgensen keeps searching for all those missing tapes 8). Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.