Elvis Lost 1968 Film - MYSTERY SOLVED!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Jokerlola

Re: Elvis Lost 1968 Film - MYSTERY SOLVED!

Post by Jokerlola »

One of the worst things about Charro is it's soundtrack. Not the title song sung by Elvis, I love that, but the rest of the music with the flute accents is so annoying and grating.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Jokerlola wrote:One of the worst things about Charro is it's soundtrack. Not the title song sung by Elvis, I love that, but the rest of the music with the flute accents is so annoying and grating.
They were going for that Clint Eastwood spaghetti western sound.

Jokerlola

Post by Jokerlola »

r&b wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:One of the worst things about Charro is it's soundtrack. Not the title song sung by Elvis, I love that, but the rest of the music with the flute accents is so annoying and grating.
The soundtrack was even done by Hugo Montenegro but it failed miserably.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Jokerlola wrote:
r&b wrote:
I like the song Charro. It fits the story of the movie and Elvis did a good job on the vocals.

I like the different sound on it.

It has a signature "western" sound just as the James Bond themes have that orchestral signature sound to them.

Topic author
greystoke

Post by greystoke »

Charles Marquis Warren was, at least, along the right lines with his intentions regarding the score for Charro!. It's not a great score by a long chalk, neither is it indicative of Montenegro's best work, but there are some distinctive moments within. It's a bit too fussy, however, and lacks real character. But it's certainly reminiscent of Morricone -- bearing in mind that Montenegro's greatest commercial success came from his orchestration of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly's classic score. So the influence was there, and that's quite evident in his score for Charro!. But such was only typical of the spaghetti western's influence on the Hollywood western. Although, Morricone's influence doesn't stop there.

I'm with you, ekenee, and Jokerola, in liking the Charro! theme song. Elvis's darkly assertive vocal suits the lyrics, whilst the orchestration boasts some menacing drumming that stands out next to a foreboding string section. This sits well next to the likes of Old Turkey Buzzard, The Ballad of Marshall Flagg and the theme songs from Five Card Stud and Django. The latter, perhaps, finding some influence from Elvis in Rocky Roberts' vocal.

brian

Post by brian »

stevelecher wrote:I think Greystoke's post is spot on and I'll repeat his statement, Charro is truly dismal. I assume Eastwood would never have signed on for this role but it would have been bad with him too. Elvis could only wish this would have turned out like one of Eastwood's Spaghetti westerns.
Charlie Hodge said once that the original script with Elvis was much more violent than what it ended up being made.

Tom from North Carolina told a story about meeting character actor James Sikking and asking him about Charro.

According to Tom from North Carolina James Sikking said that the movie he signed up for was originally much different but once Elvis signed on it was changed.

I assume if Clint Eastwood had accepted the role the original script would have been used and the movie would've been at least somewhat better.

Jokerlola

Post by Jokerlola »

ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
r&b wrote:
I like the song Charro. It fits the story of the movie and Elvis did a good job on the vocals.

It has a signature "western" sound just as the James Bond themes have that orchestral signature sound to them.
I wasn't talking about the title song which I noted in my above post that I love, I'm talking about the soundtrack to the film.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Jokerlola wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
r&b wrote:

I wasn't talking about the title song which I noted in my above post that I love, I'm talking about the soundtrack to the film.

Well then, you used the wrong terminology.

That is called, the musical score.

The background music if that is what you are referring to.

And by the way, I find nothing wrong with it.

It sounds like similair movies, including the great Eastwoods'.

Jokerlola

Post by Jokerlola »

ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
r&b wrote:

What ever the terminology, if you read my original post you would have known I like the song Charro. On the Charro "musical score" I don't agree. Although it has some good parts, many parts like the parts with the flute are repetitive and annoying. I've never heard a score that annoying in a Eastwood movie. It was like a very limited score was written and recorded and it was then just played over and over again and I swear I've heard this score in other movies or TV shows.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Jokerlola wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
r&b wrote:

What ever the terminology, if you read my original post you would have known I like the song Charro. On the Charro "musical score" I don't agree. Although it has some good parts, many parts like the parts with the flute are repetitive and annoying. I've never heard a score that annoying in a Eastwood movie. It was like a very limited score was written and recorded and it was then just played over and over again and I swear I've heard this score in other movies or TV shows.
Many times musical scores are used to create an atmosphere for a theme of some sort and often it is a theme that is repeated.

For example, many love scenes in movies will have a certain theme, and when the 2 leads are together they will play that romantic
loop again to create that atmosphere each time.

It is very common.

It's just a subjective thing. I don't mind it, but I understand where you are coming from, because if the score it not good at all it can ruin a movie and
lose an audience because of its irratating nature.

I have seen movies where the score doesn't seem to match what is happening on screen and that is annoying.

Usually though, I can get past it, if the movie is good enough.

By the way, if you notice in the movie "Girl Happy" for example, after it is established that Elvis and Shelly like each other,
the background music is the Fort lauderdale chamber of commerce instrumental.

Musical Scores on great TV shows make their mark as well.

Original Star trek---had various themes, such as the Vulcan fight theme and many others.
The Thornbirds had great atmosphere by the music that played in the background.

Jokerlola

Post by Jokerlola »

ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:
r&b wrote:

Many times musical scores are used to create an atmosphere for a theme of some sort and often it is a theme that is repeated.

For example, many love scenes in movies will have a certain theme, and when the 2 leads are together they will play that romantic
loop again to create that atmosphere each time.

It is very common.

It's just a subjective thing. I don't mind it, but I understand where you are coming from, because if the score it not good at all it can ruin a movie and
lose an audience because of its irratating nature.

I have seen movies where the score doesn't seem to match what is happening on screen and that is annoying.

Usually though, I can get past it, if the movie is good enough.

By the way, if you notice in the movie "Girl Happy" for example, after it is established that Elvis and Shelly like each other,
the background music is the Fort lauderdale chamber of commerce instrumental.

Musical Scores on great TV shows make their mark as well.

Original Star trek---had various themes, such as the Vulcan fight theme and many others.
The Thornbirds had great atmosphere by the music that played in the background.
I was kind of a weirdo as a kid, I used to buy soundtrack albums which used to not just be a collection of pop songs from the movie like they are now but actually had the actual intrumental musical score of the movie. Some of my favorites were James Bond movies, particularly "Live And Let Die" and "Diamonds Are Forever". Other favorites were "The Godfather", "Rocky", "The Exorcist", "Shaft" and (I kid you not) "Earthquake"! These albums were able to have 10 to 12 tracks or more on them and they usually left out tracks that were in the movie. I may be wrong but I bet there would only be 3 or 4 tracks in a Charro musical score album.

When I was a kid, Dean Martin had a western out called "Something Big". I loved the score of that movie and looked for the soundtrack album but it was never released.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

A few more pieces of the Jack Valentine puzzle: from Variety.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Arthur Nadel never directed Elvis again after 1967's "Clambake."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Elvis Fan70

Post by Elvis Fan70 »

I remember reading about this proposed project In "real time" and was excited about the prospect...ELVIS in a Matt Helm-type flick I thought at the time would've been good... he certainly could have handled it physically and it would've been a great way to display his karate skills. I enjoyed the Dean Martin series and was looking forward to That Jack Valentine.
Thank you for the research and assorted articles that you uncovered...didn't know that Arthur Nadel sued over the cancelled film - wonder what the result was?