Elvis's Cause of Death Reexamined

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Elvis's Cause of Death Reexamined

Post by Arvis Paisley »

I usually don't post things like this, but this makes good sense. This doctor reexamined Elvis's case and claims that as a result of falling and hitting his head in 1967 he developed an undiagnosed autoimmune inflammatory disorder, and thereafter began increasing his dosage of drugs in an effort to self-medicate for pain that was caused by the disorder. This led to the heart disease which caused the heart attack which killed him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/garry-rodgers/elvis-presleys-death-what_1_b_9157820.html

midnightx

Re: Elvis's Cause of Death Reexamined

Post by midnightx »

Nonsense. The notion that Elvis' abuse of pharmaceuticals was tied into medical conditions is erroneous, his abuse of pharmaceuticals is what ultimately caused most of his health ailments. The new hypothesis of an autoimmune disorder is convenient for those continuing to look for rational excuses for his drug abuse.

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Did you even read the article? The article doesn't refute the claim that drugs caused his heart disease.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Covered in this interesting thread started by GI Blues:

The Cause of Elvis' Decline and Death
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84050#p1308466

Including a link to this article:
http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/other/brain-injury/elvis-presley-head-trauma-autoimmunity-pain-early-death

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

"although he never smoked" tends to call into question just how much research the author has done. So does "his time as a Marine". Journalists should do at least two things:
1. Have impeccable research skills and
2. Never to make any mistakes in grammar nor composition.

But I can see where such a head trauma could be the catalyst for such a downward spiral, including mental, physical and spiritual.
Last edited by skatterbrane on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

skatterbrane wrote:"although he never smoked" tends to call into question just how much research the author has done. So does "his time as a Marine". Journalists should do at least two things:
1. Have impeccable research skills and
2. Never to make any mistakes in grammar nor composition.
Good catch!

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Absolute nonsense.

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

It makes good medical sense. Why do you say it is nonsense? Can you disprove the theory?

Elvis often complained of being "in pain" in later years. This is the only theory I've seen that has an explanation for that.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Arvis Paisley wrote:It makes good medical sense. Why do you say it is nonsense? Can you disprove the theory?

Elvis often complained of being "in pain" in later years. This is the only theory I've seen that has an explanation for that.
Opioid abuse often leads to symptoms that mimic the very maladies the opioids are meant to treat, pain being one of those symptoms. And when an addict is in opioid withdrawal, the symptoms can be very severe and often mislead the addict into thinking that he/she needs the drug to feel better, when in fact it is the drug that was the cause.

By the later years, Elvis' body had likely built up such a tolerance for the drugs that he was often in 'withdrawal,' even when he was still taking the drugs. Thus he probably experienced various physical pains, digestive tract issues, and lack of sleep, among other things.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Agree, but the lack of sleep plagued Elvis since his childhood.

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

:( :( :(
Dr. Torrent found three other incidents where Elvis suffered head blows and he suspected Elvis suffered from what's now known as Traumatic Brain Injury -- TBI -- and that's what caused progressive ailments which led to his death.

Dr. Torrent released a paper titled Elvis Presley: Head Trauma, Autoimmunity, Pain, and Early Death. It's a fascinating read -- recently published in Practical Pain Management.

Dr. Torrent builds a theory that Elvis's bathtub head injury was so severe that it caused brain tissue to be jarred loose and leak into his general blood circulation. This is now known to be a leading cause of autoimmune disorder which causes a breakdown of other organs. This was unknown in 1967 and Elvis went untreated. Side effects are chronic pain, irrational behavior, and severe bodily changes such as obesity and enlarged organs like hearts and bowels.

Today, TBI is a recognized health issue in professional contact sports.

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

Autoimmune diseases are a broad range of related diseases in which a person's immune system produces an inappropriate response against its own cells, tissues and/or organs, resulting in inflammation and damage

Treatment for autoimmune disorders

Autoimmune disorders in general cannot be cured, but the condition can be controlled in many cases. Historically, treatments include: •anti-inflammatory drugs – to reduce inflammation and pain

corticosteroids – to reduce inflammation. They are sometimes used to treat an acute flare of symptoms
pain-killing medication – such as paracetamol and codeine
immunosuppressant drugs – to inhibit the activity of the immune system
•physical therapy – to encourage mobility
treatment for the deficiency – for example, insulin injections in the case of diabetes
•surgery – for example, to treat bowel blockage in the case of Crohn's disease[/i] *
high dose immunosuppression – the use of immune system suppressing drugs (in the doses needed to treat cancer or to prevent the rejection of transplanted organs) have been tried recently, with promising results. Particularly when intervention is early, the chance of a cure with some of these conditions seems possible.

*Crohn's Disease

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is characterised by chronic intestinal inflammation. The two major types of IBD are Crohn's Disease (CD) and Ulcerative Colitis (UC), although other less common IBD conditions are also included in this category.

Sources:
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/autoimmune-disorders
http://www.cdd.com.au/pages/disease_info/crohns_disease.html
Last edited by MountainMisst on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Covered in this interesting thread started by GI Blues:

The Cause of Elvis' Decline and Death
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84050#p1308466

Including a link to this article:
http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/pain/other/brain-injury/elvis-presley-head-trauma-autoimmunity-pain-early-death

Thanks, Mike.

Dr Nick, who wrote another book about Elvis, for money, as we know (who cares about The Hippocratic Oath, "Doctor" Nick?) whereas he listed further details.

DN is an absolute quack, who did not place Elvis first. Elvis should have had a myriad of tests, not a "I think.........." as Dr Nick said in his book.

Hippocratic Oath

Excerpt:
"I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. (snip) Above all, I must not play at God (snip) and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

Hobbes wrote:
Opioid abuse often leads to symptoms that mimic the very maladies the opioids are meant to treat, pain being one of those symptoms. And when an addict is in opioid withdrawal, the symptoms can be very severe and often mislead the addict into thinking that he/she needs the drug to feel better, when in fact it is the drug that was the cause.

By the later years, Elvis' body had likely built up such a tolerance for the drugs that he was often in 'withdrawal,' even when he was still taking the drugs. Thus he probably experienced various physical pains, digestive tract issues, and lack of sleep, among other things.
THIS !!!!!!!!

excellent post hobbes & exactly the case !!!

I have no doubt that carrying around a solid block of chalk like material in his non moving/functioning colon must have caused considerable pain & extreme discomfort - it would surely be awful ! he really was in a terrible catch 22 position by the end but theres no doubt it was his drug abuse/addiction that killed him

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

rjm

Post by rjm »

Arvis Paisley wrote:I usually don't post things like this, but this makes good sense. This doctor reexamined Elvis's case and claims that as a result of falling and hitting his head in 1967 he developed an undiagnosed autoimmune inflammatory disorder, and thereafter began increasing his dosage of drugs in an effort to self-medicate for pain that was caused by the disorder. This led to the heart disease which caused the heart attack which killed him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/garry-rodgers/elvis-presleys-death-what_1_b_9157820.html
Bullshoot Mountain. (With apologies to Jon Stewart.)

rjm
P.S. -- Howdy Misty! I'm back! (We don't have to to agree with each other on everything but let's be friends again! :D )

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

Some of who insisted Elvis was "on drugs" (prescription) were on hard drugs.

Elvis' friends in that position, did not have any medical background or further education to assist them to reason and think that there was more to the reason why, Elvis was feeling as he was.

As we know, Elvis' friends split into two groups who do not interact with each other: Those who were closer to Elvis, who shared a portion of their memories, who tried to give perspective and understanding on what happened to him. This closer inner circle shared their memories with Elvis' fans with empathy, reason, and in context, and perhaps, with gained medical knowledge (Elvis wanted the details of his illnesses to remain private), of which, is now being revealed (of course some of Elvis' friends shared a portion of these details decades ago).

The other group appeared to not place their memories in perspective when they retold their memories: To speak of Elvis' history in perspective, and with empathy - perhaps with 20/20 vision, (which would be nice) they should have enquired more, asked more, (perhaps they should have been told more, although if they sold information for money, of course they wouldn't have been told more) and basically, taken extra care to honour their best friend.

This is what those who love each other do. If someone changes, who is decent, caring, loving, generous, spiritual, thoughtful; one asks, "Why"?

Kindness.

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

rjm wrote:
Arvis Paisley wrote:I usually don't post things like this, but this makes good sense. This doctor reexamined Elvis's case and claims that as a result of falling and hitting his head in 1967 he developed an undiagnosed autoimmune inflammatory disorder, and thereafter began increasing his dosage of drugs in an effort to self-medicate for pain that was caused by the disorder. This led to the heart disease which caused the heart attack which killed him.

Bullshoot Mountain. (With apologies to Jon Stewart.)

rjm
P.S. -- Howdy Misty! I'm back! (We don't have to to agree with each other on everything but let's be friends again! :D )

Hi Robin, :smt006

Thank you. :D

Well, you must know more than what Dr Nick also published in his (rotten) book.

Please point out where the "BS" is?

I wish you well.

FatherJack1980

Post by FatherJack1980 »

Elvis started popping pills before he went into the army by swiping Glady's pills because of, as Lamar Fike spoke about in either one of the Memphis Mafia books, that he just f***** loved it or on video. And in all of the hospital visits I would think that at least someone would have noticed something - so I think that the incident in 1967 had nothing to do with his massive heart attack.

And I agree with skatterbrane about poor researching; sadly journalism isn't what it should be. This is the first article about the death of Elvis that I've read that states that the timing of the announcement of his death was at 3:16 PM, when I've always heard in the past that it was 3:30 PM.

And from the article: "Doctor Nick, as Nichopoulos was called, stayed as Elvis's personal physician till the end and was present at the death scene" ...eerrmmm, no. "being mostly bed-ridden" HuffPost is talking here about Elvis and it's another no. And "Place of Death -- 3754 Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee" .....seriously you guys?? I could probably go on but I don't have time.

Clearly Huffington Post is in the same major league as Fox News and The Daily Fai.... eerrr, I mean Daily Mail.

Harry S. Truman: The buck stops here

Donald Duck Trump: "I don't take responsibility at all"

"I do want always corruption" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 22 Nov 2019 :wtf: :facep:

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 6 Nov 2012

"Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III." ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 31 Aug 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydWzTnD7Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotiVvyS1yk

And this is a-not-to-be-missed-instant-classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSE-XoVKaXg

"Elvis has left the house" :facep: ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 16 Nov 2018

- he's clearly a patriot that respects the flag and a very stable genius with a large a-brain(!). I'm of course being sarcastic because Donald Trump is a moron.

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

I agree, some of what the Huffington Post incorrectly stated as fact was terrible journalism - absolutely. However, we cannot set aside what was stated by the doctor of whom they quote. What was said by the doctor is a different subject.

Furthermore:

* Lamar did not have any medical knowledge.

* The entire situation was not black and white.

* It is also common knowledge that Elvis was given pills by someone of higher rank when he was in the Army (he probably trusted him), to stay awake.

* Of course no-one knows for sure, if it was both the late, dear Mrs Presley and the Army, or either, with regard to how Elvis obtained the pills.

To support the above, when we've observed Lamar, Marty, Billy and Sonny interviewed at the same time, they contradicted each other, as they also contradicted each other when interviewed for the book of which they collaborated on together.

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

Hey Robin!

LOL

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

MountainMisst wrote:Hey Robin!

LOL

You have my attention.

>>>

i take none of this seriously

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

The rose colored glasses are strong in this thread. Elvis was a recidivist drug addict. While the exact cause of his death will be never known, it is highly likely that he died of an overdose. He took drugs for the same reason many musicans and artists do-kill the pain and liked the high. So just accept the reality, neither a bathtub fall, nor bone cancer nor any other fantasy are responsible. Elvis took them because he wanted them enabled by a cowardly physican who basked in the reflected glory of the star.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Why can't Elvis have been a drug addict who also had an autoimmune inflammatory disorder that contributed to his death? Why does it have to be one or the other?

Topic author
MountainMisst

Post by MountainMisst »

mike edwards66 wrote:
MountainMisst wrote:Hey Robin!

LOL

You have my attention.

Ha!

Good - This is the way to go, lol LOL LOL

LOL

Topic author