Double Features CD's is my collection complete?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Double Features CD's is my collection complete?

Post by Scoobie »

Hello all,

Just back from my local 2nd hand record store. I picked up 3 "Double Features" CD's.
Questions are;
1) is, is my collection complete?
2) why did the spine design change for the last 3 (the ones with red writing)?
IMG_0465.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R2-D2
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Re: Double Features CD's is my collection complete?

Post by R2-D2 »

The spines with red printing are the USA releases. Black printings are the European versions. Different style front covers too. USA versions show the original album covers while the European ones show a photo from the movies.
Another giveaway is the movie titles. Harem Holiday and Love In Las Vegas on the European releases.
Last edited by R2-D2 on Sun May 28, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

You still need to track down two more titles. They are "It Happened at the World's Fair/Fun in Acapulco" and "Frankie and Johnny/Paradise, Hawaiian Style".

Happy hunting!

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Mike C wrote:You still need to track down two more titles. They are "It Happened at the World's Fair/Fun in Acapulco" and "Frankie and Johnny/Paradise, Hawaiian Style".

Happy hunting!
of course! how could I forget those?

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

R2-D2 wrote:The spines with red printing are the USA releases. Black printings are the European versions. Different style front covers too. USA versions show the original album covers while the European ones show a photo from the movies.
Another giveaway is the movie titles. Harem Holiday and Love In Las Vegas on the European releases.
Nope. I have all USA releases and I used to have also the EU releases. The same 3 USA releases have the red lettering and the rest have black. You have it backwards on the covers. All of the EU releases use the album (or EP or Single) art for the covers. All but 4 of the USA ones do. The 4 USA titles that use pictures from the movies are the first four released and originally sold as a set in a movie canister box--Kid Galahad/Girls Girls Girls, World's Fair/Fun In Acapulco, Viva Las Vegas/Roustabout and Harum Scarum/Frankie & Johnny.

All of Scoobie's are EU versions. I can tell by the spine. The US versions have "RCA" near the catalog number.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by Markus K. »

R2-D2 wrote:The spines with red printing are the USA releases. Black printings are the European versions. Different style front covers too. USA versions show the original album covers while the European ones show a photo from the movies.
As I'm writing this I am not at home to proof check but I am pretty sure that the three spines with red lettering are exactly the same on my European releases (I never had any of the US printings, only the European ones with cover replica on the front and a mark on the back stating they were printed in the EU.)
I always thought they just adjusted the style a bit for the last bunch of soundtracks which were released a bit later.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by sweetangeline »

...the contents are all the same...and they are also available in that numbered edition THE ORIGINAL ELVIS PRESLEY COLLECTION.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Markus K. wrote:
As I'm writing this I am not at home to proof check but I am pretty sure that the three spines with red lettering are exactly the same on my European releases (I never had any of the US printings, only the European ones with cover replica on the front and a mark on the back stating they were printed in the EU.)
I always thought they just adjusted the style a bit for the last bunch of soundtracks which were released a bit later.
This is correct. It really annoyed me at the time as they looked different on the shelf!

R2-D2

Post by R2-D2 »

Thanks for the correction PMP and Markus. I was working from memory as can't access the discs. I remember grabbing the first lot of discs as imports and being disappointed when buying the next lot when issued in the UK as the covers were a different style. Again that's just from memory. It was a long time ago and my memory ain't what it used to be.

Topic author
Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Thanks to all who replied, so I have 2 more to locate. The hunt goes on!

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by drghanem »

From my collection of the complete series 1993-1995. Complete European, US and Japanese sets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

Topic author
Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Great collections! Does anyone know not all the movies were included?

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The 50s movies are not included. And Tickle Me, GI Blues and Blue Hawaii are not included. The 50s soundtracks and GI Blues and Blue Hawaii were also reissued around this time though, but individually (except for Jailhouse Rock and Love Me Tender were on the same disc).

chop983
Registered for: 10 years

Post by chop983 »

Once you find the last 2, to complete you need the film can and the promo.

Topic author
Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

chop983 wrote:Once you find the last 2, to complete you need the film can and the promo.
I think, just finding the last 2 will do it for me!

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

skatterbrane wrote:The 50s movies are not included. And Tickle Me, GI Blues and Blue Hawaii are not included. The 50s soundtracks and GI Blues and Blue Hawaii were also reissued around this time though, but individually (except for Jailhouse Rock and Love Me Tender were on the same disc).
These were all released in 1997, 2 years after the final Double Feature releases were put out.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

The film can looked great and was lovely to have, but was one of the most impractical sets ever released!!

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Wasn't there another RCA boxset released inside a round can in the early 80s ?

I remember seeing it at the shops, but it was too expensive, and I already had most if not all, of the tracks.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Mike C wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:The 50s movies are not included. And Tickle Me, GI Blues and Blue Hawaii are not included. The 50s soundtracks and GI Blues and Blue Hawaii were also reissued around this time though, but individually (except for Jailhouse Rock and Love Me Tender were on the same disc).
These were all released in 1997, 2 years after the final Double Feature releases were put out.
You're right. But I am pretty sure they were done to finish off the soundtrack project left over from Double Features. The GI Blues one features the original version of Didja Ever first released in 1960 and subsequently been replaced with the spliced version ever since.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

skatterbrane wrote:
Mike C wrote:
You're right. But I am pretty sure they were done to finish off the soundtrack project left over from Double Features. The GI Blues one features the original version of Didja Ever first released in 1960 and subsequently been replaced with the spliced version ever since.
You are correct. I believe that the FTD Cafe Europa also contains the original version of Didja Ever.
Last edited by Mike C on Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drghanem wrote:From my collection of the complete series 1993-1995. Complete European, US and Japanese sets.
Cool, I only have the U.S set! 8). You have a collecting disease my friend..... :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

The 1995 releases featured red spines, as noted before. Oh those days, the catalogue was very very looked after.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Iván

La voz del Rey

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by Eggrert »

skatterbrane wrote: The GI Blues one features the original version of Didja Ever first released in 1960 and subsequently been replaced with the spliced version ever since.
Do you happen to know when the spliced version was made, or why it's superseded the original version?

On a side note, are the 1997 versions of Blue Hawaii and GI Blues remixed? Compared to the versions on the Movie Soundtracks box, they sound very different to my ears (maybe it's just the mastering, or maybe I'm just crazy?!).

scotch

Post by scotch »

I just realized just over half of my Double Features actually came from "The Original Elvis Presley Collection". From that set I have #17, 18, 22, 24, 25 and 29. I don't really care about the incongruity as I took horrible care of my CD cases and ended up having to trash most of them... I assume there is no difference in sound quality or track listings between those from the collection and the original release?

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Rockin_John »

scotch wrote:I just realized just over half of my Double Features actually came from "The Original Elvis Presley Collection". From that set I have #17, 18, 22, 24, 25 and 29. I don't really care about the incongruity as I took horrible care of my CD cases and ended up having to trash most of them... I assume there is no difference in sound quality or track listings between those from the collection and the original release?
No difference in sound quality or track listings

Keep on Rockin'