Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Igotstung
Registered for: 10 months

Re: Lisa Marie Presley and Riley Keough's Book: From Here to the Great Unknown

Post by Igotstung »

I don't get this obsession with Priscilla when there is so much more in the book that is worthy of discussion. There is forgiveness and desperation and love. While full of eccentric, unusual and mega famous people- it is a story of generational trauma. And how some can overcome it.

I am no fan of Priscilla, but don't you think that she was damaged by unusual life from an early age? She did a lot for her family. She made mistakes- and yes, the Edwards thing is difficult to stomach. But she took care of business which Lisa benefited from. She took care of twins when Lisa was in throes of addiction. We don't know the family dynamics.

What about Elvis? Sitting with his seven year old daughter on a ride with loaded gun in his hand. Spoiling her and giving her no structure and an unhealthy (for a child) power. Prioritizing girlfriends over his daughter. He gets a pass because he is Elvis Presley?

The point here is not to debate who was a better parent. Both tried. Lisa also tried with her kids.

But the beauty of the book is it goes beyond blame game and gossip. Even if you don't care about Presley clan, it still makes a wonderful read because of its universal themes.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by brian »

Igotstung wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:32 am
I am no fan of Priscilla, but don't you think that she was damaged by unusual life from an early age? She did a lot for her family. She made mistakes- and yes, the Edwards thing is difficult to stomach. But she took care of business which Lisa benefited from. She took care of twins when Lisa was in throes of addiction. We don't know the family dynamics.
No. I think it just had to with the fact that Priscilla Presley didn't want children when she was married to Elvis. She didn't want children when she was younger and when she got pregnant by accident she was ill equipped for it. Also from what I've heard from others Priscilla's a cold person in private and Lisa picked up on that and knew that. Elvis Presley for all his problems was a loving father who cared about his daughter but Lisa didn't get the same feeling from her mom. I just think that people were surprised by what Lisa had to say about Priscilla so it became the #1 thing that people have been discussing. I am surprised that Priscilla didn't want kids with Elvis. I always thought she wanted to have children with Elvis. If Lisa had said Priscilla was a good mom and Elvis was a bad absentee dad then no one would've said anything about that. You wouldn't have anyone try to defend Elvis on this forum. There are other interesting things in the book but I don't want to say because I'd spoil it. The book does talk a lot about Lisa's family members so of course that's getting discussed.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by brian »

Also people think of two things when it comes to Lisa Marie Presley.

1. She was Elvis's daughter and people want hear her memories and what her thoughts are about him in depth.

2. She was married to Michael Jackson for a short time. When they got married in 1994 it got huge media attention and the public were tremendously fascinated by it. Even for years after they divorced people wondered about the Michael Jackson and Lisa thing. People wanted to hear her talk in depth about her relationship with him.

Those two things would be the major selling point for any book by Lisa Presley as far as the general public and casual fans are concerned. I used to be interested in the Michael Jackson thing when it happened but it was so long ago it no longer interests me. For me personally I don't care about it anymore. Michael Jackson relationship with Lisa isn't being discussed as much as I thought it would be. At least I haven't seen it being discussed that much.

You would think those two things would drive the sales of her book. That would be what people are interested in about her the most.