eligain
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Re: Lisa Marie Presley and Riley Keough's Book: From Here to the Great Unknown

Post by eligain »

billy jack wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:22 pm
eligain wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:11 pm

One thing that gets lost in all of this is the fact that Elvis was actually not a good parent and ultimately caused a lot if not most of Lisa’s pain. No one is doubting that he didn’t deeply love her but letting a child run wild with no discipline is one of the worst things a parent can do. And her ultimate pain was him dying. He put the drugs ahead of his daughter and never tried to become sober for her sake. Why does Elvis never get criticized for that?

You're joking, I hope? You're right that Elvis allowed everything when it came to Lisa. But that's nothing compared to that witch of Priscilla.

If you, as a mother, continue the relationship with the man who groped your daughter on certain parts of her body, jerked off to that same 10+ year old child and literally got horny from it.

(I apologize for my language use, but we are adults here after all, so let's come clean.)
So it’s good parenting for your daughter to find you passed out on drugs on your bathroom floor several times or find you so out of it that she has to try to keep you from falling? It’s good parenting to continue to use drugs when you now have a child? The fact that he allowed himself to die from these drugs is something really terrible and it of course put a cloud over Lisa for the rest of her life.

As far as being lenient and not giving Lisa any structure or discipline. All my friends that had lenient parents, that let them run wild, all wound up a mess. As did my friends whose parents were overly strict. Priscilla sounds like she was the latter and when you have parents with that different of approaches, that is a recipe for disaster.

Again, I haven’t read it yet but did Lisa tell Priscilla about Edwards? If she did and Priscilla kept seeing him, then that isn’t good.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by brian »

eligain wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:48 am
Again, I haven’t read it yet but did Lisa tell Priscilla about Edwards? If she did and Priscilla kept seeing him, then that isn’t good.
Yes. She did keep seeing him after Lisa told her.

elvis4life
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by elvis4life »

https://www.npr.org/2024/10/11/nx-s1-5148873/elvis-lisa-marie-presley-riley-keough-from-here-to-the-great-unknown

Riley Keough helps mom Lisa Marie Presley emerge from Elvis' shadow in a new memoir

October 14, 20245:00 AM ET

Heard on Fresh Air

Tonya Mosley

36-Minute Listen

Lisa Marie Presley, the only child of Elvis Presley, was working on a memoir when she died in 2023. In From Here to the Great Unknown, Keough details her mother's unusual life in Graceland and beyond.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by BrianTCB »

brian wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:18 am
eligain wrote:
Can we also talk about how weird it is that Priscilla continues to act like she's Elvis' widow, as if she was not actually divorced from him for nearly half a decade when he died?

He had several girlfriends, 1 long term girlfriend, and a fiancee after finalization of their divorce in October of 1973. It's one thing to support Lisa Marie through the loss of her father, but quite another to milk a marriage that was long over for several decades and whitewash every relationship that came after that.

I get some of the arguments about "walk a mile..." but that's a song. And the song does not apply in a scenario where one partner is batshit crazy and refuses to let her long-over marriage go.

brian

Post by brian »

BrianTCB wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:43 am
I get some of the arguments about "walk a mile..." but that's a song. And the song does not apply in a scenario where one partner is batshit crazy and refuses to let her long-over marriage go.
Ha ha. LOL.

Topic author
Igotstung
Registered for: 10 months

Post by Igotstung »

BrianTCB wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
Can we also talk about how weird it is that Priscilla continues to act like she's Elvis' widow, as if she was not actually divorced from him for nearly half a decade when he died?

He had several girlfriends, 1 long term girlfriend, and a fiancee after finalization of their divorce in October of 1973. It's one thing to support Lisa Marie through the loss of her father, but quite another to milk a marriage that was long over for several decades and whitewash every relationship that came after that.

Lisa Marie's book is way more than gripes and feauds. We will do right by her if we acknowledge that. She was much more than just the daughter of Elvis and Priscilla.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mister Mike »

BrianTCB wrote:

Adding some PDS to your TDS....

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by BrianTCB »

Mister Mike wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:05 am
BrianTCB wrote:

Adding some PDS to your TDS....
*I'm not the first one to mention any politics here. I'm simply responding in kind to his Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) BS.*

Disliking 34-time convicted felons, racists, rapist criminals such as Trump, and whitewashers does not a syndrome make. I just have better taste in people and behaviors.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

billy jack
Registered for: 2 months

Post by billy jack »

eligain wrote:
billy jack wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:22 pm
eligain wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:11 pm

One thing that gets lost in all of this is the fact that Elvis was actually not a good parent and ultimately caused a lot if not most of Lisa’s pain. No one is doubting that he didn’t deeply love her but letting a child run wild with no discipline is one of the worst things a parent can do. And her ultimate pain was him dying. He put the drugs ahead of his daughter and never tried to become sober for her sake. Why does Elvis never get criticized for that?

You're joking, I hope? You're right that Elvis allowed everything when it came to Lisa. But that's nothing compared to that witch of Priscilla.

If you, as a mother, continue the relationship with the man who groped your daughter on certain parts of her body, jerked off to that same 10+ year old child and literally got horny from it.

(I apologize for my language use, but we are adults here after all, so let's come clean.)
So it’s good parenting for your daughter to find you passed out on drugs on your bathroom floor several times or find you so out of it that she has to try to keep you from falling? It’s good parenting to continue to use drugs when you now have a child? The fact that he allowed himself to die from these drugs is something really terrible and it of course put a cloud over Lisa for the rest of her life.

As far as being lenient and not giving Lisa any structure or discipline. All my friends that had lenient parents, that let them run wild, all wound up a mess. As did my friends whose parents were overly strict. Priscilla sounds like she was the latter and when you have parents with that different of approaches, that is a recipe for disaster.

As for Elvis' drug use and falling down several times as well as his outbursts of anger, you are absolutely right. Time did not play a role at Graceland, for either Elvis or Lisa. Eating fries three evenings in a row, riding together on the golf cart to Grandpa Vernon at night, everything was possible and allowed.

Besides all this, it is clear that Lisa was the most important thing in Elvis' life and loved her dearly and vice versa. In all kinds of aspects he showed that he cared about Lisa. Unconditional. In contrast to Priscilla.

Lisa has indeed made it clear that Edwards could not keep his hands to himself. The reprimand for this was Edwards' apology to Lisa. This indicates that Priscilla is not fit to raise a child let alone be a mother.

If you prefer to get your own film career off the ground at all costs, then it is the lowest of the low to continue happily with a pedophile you are in a relationship with.

dougkapp
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by dougkapp »

Just to remind you: when Lisa faced her last divorce, who was chosen to look after Lisa's twins? Who? Ahh... yes... herself... Priscilla. Lisa saw something positive in her mother to entrust her two daughters to her...

bronsky
Registered for: 3 years

Post by bronsky »

eligain wrote:
You might have forgotten or didn't know that Elvis was a seriously ill man, he couldn't have stopped taking prescription drugs (aka modern medicines) even if he had wanted to and he was "addicted" to them because he wanted to suffer less physically and mentally and they helped him keep going partly in order to give money to his ex-wife and for the raise of his daughter. Basically he was kept going until he just dropped finally.
But don't worry, next year from Priscilla's book we will learn the complete truth and she will be honest about herself at last... :wink:

Topic author
Igotstung
Registered for: 10 months

Post by Igotstung »

If you have read the book, it is incredibly empathetic to parenting flaws due to personal issues. Especially Riley doesn't indulge in blame games.

eligain

Post by eligain »

bronsky wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:30 pm
eligain wrote:
You might have forgotten or didn't know that Elvis was a seriously ill man, he couldn't have stopped taking prescription drugs (aka modern medicines) even if he had wanted to and he was "addicted" to them because he wanted to suffer less physically and mentally and they helped him keep going partly in order to give money to his ex-wife and for the raise of his daughter. Basically he was kept going until he just dropped finally.
But don't worry, next year from Priscilla's book we will learn the complete truth and she will be honest about herself at last... :wink:
Bullsh*t! That is a fantasy cooked up to try to deny that he had a major drug problem by rose colored glasses fans. Exactly what was the medical reason for all the uppers? What was the medical reason for the cocaine? What was the medical reason for the dilaudid? What was the medical reason for the Demerol? Was there a medical reason for the Qualudes? “ Using barbiturates regularly, at higher doses, and for a long time can cause liver damage, muscle weakness, and bone pain.”
Why did he need powerful Codeine pain pills for a simple tooth cleaning and filling? The majority of his health problems were because of the drugs. Dexedrine abuse causes liver damage. Opioids can cause toxic megacolon.” Opioids can cause an increased sense of pain called opioid-induced hyperalgesia (OIH).” If your claims were true, then why didn’t Dr.Nick use it to exonerate himself in his over prescription trial? If any of your claims were true, why didn’t Vernon release the autopsy report to counter the drug abuse stories.

When Elvis was in Colorado in early 1976, he tried to get Dilaudid from the Denver police doctor. That doctor and his Denver police friends (some of who were narcotic officers) recognized that Elvis had a drug problem and staged an intervention even setting him up for a secret stay in a rehab facility. When confronted with this, Elvis abruptly left Colorado. If it was all medically necessary, then he could just explained to them that it was. But he didn’t.

FJNC
Registered for: 1 year 3 months

Post by FJNC »

I ask the question again: Why did Lisa Marie never give credibility to the accusations against Michael Jackson?

eligain

Post by eligain »

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
So according to her interview with Howard Stern she said that her mother kicked him out after she told her. So which version is true?

brian

Post by brian »

FJNC wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:46 pm
I ask the question again: Why did Lisa Marie never give credibility to the accusations against Michael Jackson?
Because she has said time and again that she never saw anything like that when she was with him.

brian

Post by brian »

eligain wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:14 pm
So according to her interview with Howard Stern she said that her mother kicked him out after she told her. So which version is true?
I don't remember her saying that in the Howard Stern interview. In the book Lisa says the abuse first happened when she was 10 years old and she told her mom about it at the time. Priscilla Presley was with Mike Edwards until late 1984 so the relationship didn't end at the time. I had heard Lisa talk about some of the things she talks about in her book before but not in depth. Perhaps she felt it wasn't the right time to talk in depth about those things and she didn't want to say anything bad about her mom publicly at the time. When you write a book you talk about things more in depth. if you want to defend Priscilla that's fine. People will have to read Lisa's book and decide for themselves what's true and what's not true. Most people will read Lisa's book and believe what she says. Priscilla Presley doesn't come off well in Lisa's book. There is no denying that. Also like I said some of the things Lisa says in her book about Priscilla I've heard other people say the same thing. But whatever. Carry on.
Last edited by brian on Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronsky
Registered for: 3 years

Post by bronsky »

eligain wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:43 pm
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:
Bullsh*t! That is a fantasy cooked up to try to deny that he had a major drug problem by rose colored glasses fans. Exactly what was the medical reason for all the uppers? What was the medical reason for the cocaine? What was the medical reason for the dilaudid? What was the medical reason for the Demerol? Was there a medical reason for the Qualudes? “ Using barbiturates regularly, at higher doses, and for a long time can cause liver damage, muscle weakness, and bone pain.”
Why did he need powerful Codeine pain pills for a simple tooth cleaning and filling? The majority of his health problems were because of the drugs. Dexedrine abuse causes liver damage. Opioids can cause toxic megacolon.” Opioids can cause an increased sense of pain called opioid-induced hyperalgesia (OIH).” If your claims were true, then why didn’t Dr.Nick use it to exonerate himself in his over prescription trial? If any of your claims were true, why didn’t Vernon release the autopsy report to counter the drug abuse stories.

When Elvis was in Colorado in early 1976, he tried to get Dilaudid from the Denver police doctor. That doctor and his Denver police friends (some of who were narcotic officers) recognized that Elvis had a drug problem and staged an intervention even setting him up for a secret stay in a rehab facility. When confronted with this, Elvis abruptly left Colorado. If it was all medically necessary, then he could just explained to them that it was. But he didn’t.
You always avoiding the uncomfortable things regarding Priscilla. But always highlighting Elvis as a faulty guy. Why?
[img][img]
8168sexA0IL._SY342_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

Is it that hard to understand and accept we can have different opinions without immediately being called out as whitewashing, thinking what Lisa wrote is not true, etc? Is it so complicated to simply discuss and exchange our pov ?

Priscilla doesn’t come well from the book, that absolutely certain. I don’t think Lisa made up anything, she was in fact too upfront for that.

I don’t know Priscilla and to put it short, I’m no fan of her.

BUT: I do recognize that Priscilla took the girls when the divorce turned really nasty. I do recognized that Lisa wrote and recorded Raven and that this meant at the minimum that her own feelings were ambiguous and in the grey zone towards her mother. And I easily believe that for living the exact same situation. I also do recognize that despite all the tensions and misunderstandings between the 2, they’ve been photographed together very often up until the very end.

People are no saints or demons. They’re people. A relationship is something very alive, its always on the move, ups and downs.
I stand with the fact that Lisa, and Lisa alone, had every rights to judge her mother. We, the public, have the right to have an opinion but we should stay humble and avoid judging people we don’t know at all.

One more thing: it is no Elvis bashing to simply recognize that, yes, despite his immenses qualities, he had a drug problem, and not a light one. And it is just experience to recognize that dealing with people having a drug problem is nothing easy. It doesn t imply that Elvis was a bad guy. On the contrary, I think he was exceptionnally good. And I think the same about Lisa. And as she herself aknowledged in her book, being in a relationship with someone suffering of severe addictions is not an easy task.

Last but not least : like it or not, Lisa never asked people to see her as a victim of anything. She was a fighter, a woman speaking her truth and not asking anyone to take responsability for her choices.

Alexander
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Alexander »

arnaudbxl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:13 am
Is it that hard to understand and accept we can have different opinions without immediately being called out as whitewashing, thinking what Lisa wrote is not true, etc? Is it so complicated to simply discuss and exchange our pov ?

Priscilla doesn’t come well from the book, that absolutely certain. I don’t think Lisa made up anything, she was in fact too upfront for that.

I don’t know Priscilla and to put it short, I’m no fan of her.

BUT: I do recognize that Priscilla took the girls when the divorce turned really nasty. I do recognized that Lisa wrote and recorded Raven and that this meant at the minimum that her own feelings were ambiguous and in the grey zone towards her mother. And I easily believe that for living the exact same situation. I also do recognize that despite all the tensions and misunderstandings between the 2, they’ve been photographed together very often up until the very end.

People are no saints or demons. They’re people. A relationship is something very alive, its always on the move, ups and downs.
I stand with the fact that Lisa, and Lisa alone, had every rights to judge her mother. We, the public, have the right to have an opinion but we should stay humble and avoid judging people we don’t know at all.

One more thing: it is no Elvis bashing to simply recognize that, yes, despite his immenses qualities, he had a drug problem, and not a light one. And it is just experience to recognize that dealing with people having a drug problem is nothing easy. It doesn t imply that Elvis was a bad guy. On the contrary, I think he was exceptionnally good. And I think the same about Lisa. And as she herself aknowledged in her book, being in a relationship with someone suffering of severe addictions is not an easy task.

Last but not least : like it or not, Lisa never asked people to see her as a victim of anything. She was a fighter, a woman speaking her truth and not asking anyone to take responsability for her choices.
Excellent post. It fully reflects my opinion.

Steve G
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Steve G »

brian wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:15 pm
FJNC wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:46 pm
Because she has said time and again that she never saw anything like that when she was with him.
The same is likely true of many spouses of pedophiles. Why didn't she acknowledge he could have hidden that from her, especially since they weren't together for long in a blink and you'll miss it marriage

billy jack
Registered for: 2 months

Post by billy jack »

bronsky wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:42 pm
eligain wrote:
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:

You always avoiding the uncomfortable things regarding Priscilla. But always highlighting Elvis as a faulty guy. Why?
Often he is dismissed as just another rock ‘n’ roll drug addict.

Looking at the illnesses and disorders, that mounted upon each other over the decades, it’s no coincidence that Elvis’ prescription drug use increased as his health declined. From ear infections to chronic tonsilitis to recurrent flus to eye infections and glaucoma…..these arguably insignificant ailments independently, grew into something more. As his body broke down, alongside multiple immune system disorders and genetic complications, prescription medication and his handy PDR tried to fill the gaps. When that no longer worked, hospital stays became the norm and his list of ailments grew.

https://www.elvisinfonet.com/Book-Review-Elvis-Destined-to-Die-Young.html

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

billy jack wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:18 am
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:

Looking at the illnesses and disorders, that mounted upon each other over the decades, it’s no coincidence that Elvis’ prescription drug use increased as his health declined. From ear infections to chronic tonsilitis to recurrent flus to eye infections and glaucoma…..these arguably insignificant ailments independently, grew into something more. As his body broke down, alongside multiple immune system disorders and genetic complications, prescription medication and his handy PDR tried to fill the gaps. When that no longer worked, hospital stays became the norm and his list of ailments grew.

I haven’t read the book «Destined to die young » so I cannot talk about it.
But this is not the point I think : whether he had a drug problem because of health causes or because of a severe addiction - and it could be a mix of both in fact-, the sides effects were the same, you don’t get hooked up on Demerol, Quaaludes, opioids or others powerful drugs without heavy sides effects, physically and mentally.

The reason he took them has nothing to do with the changes they caused.

Alexander
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Alexander »

arnaudbxl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:28 am
billy jack wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:18 am
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:

I haven’t read the book «Destined to die young » so I cannot talk about it.
But this is not the point I think : whether he had a drug problem because of health causes or because of a severe addiction - and it could be a mix of both in fact-, the sides effects were the same, you don’t get hooked up on Demerol, Quaaludes, opioids or others powerful drugs without heavy sides effects, physically and mentally.

The reason he took them has nothing to do with the changes they caused.
What the book by LMP & RK made clear to me is that LMP in her 40s shared the opioid addiction that killed her father. I find that parallel remarkable. The book describes in depth her struggle to turn her life around, which she succeeded in doing. Even after the death of her son Benjamin, she did not fall back into that addiction, but in the midst of that addiction crisis she decided to undergo weight loss surgery, which proved fatal years later. It's a rather sad history all together.

eligain

Post by eligain »

bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:
bronsky wrote:
eligain wrote:

A doctor that consulted with Dr. Nick on Elvis’ treatment wrote this concerning Heodel’s book:

"Hogwash. It's like this author didn't even have basic access to his (EP's) records. She sounds like a Looney tune who is looking for her 2 minutes of fame. She never once consulted me, and as you know I was an integral part of his (EP's) story.

She has no understanding of the medical pressure we were under at the time. And then proceeded to fabricate situations or full admissions to make her idea sound plausible.

Being there then, and still being active today I can tell you that there was not a single genetic component to Elvis Presley's dx's (diagnoses). Her book is a fraud. It's no wonder she had to self publish."