Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

martin018
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Re: The 1980 Young 'un Sound remakes

Post by martin018 »

I also liked Loving Arms.
If I remember correctly it was issued as a single in the UK.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by jetblack »

martin018 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm
I also liked Loving Arms.
If I remember correctly it was issued as a single in the UK.
The song peaked at position #47 on a six week chart stay in 1981.
R-2501850-1456684307-8138.jpg
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elvis - King of the UK charts

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by TINML »

James27 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:59 am
Any chance for a re-upload for this project, people ?
That'd be nice :)

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by midnightx »

This project is a curiosity at best, especially in 2024. It was not particularly well-executed in 1980, and the FTD reissue was not without its own issues, so perhaps its legacy should be a footnote, or even better yet, forgotten.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:38 pm
This project is a curiosity at best, especially in 2024. It was not particularly well-executed in 1980, and the FTD reissue was not without its own issues, so perhaps its legacy should be a footnote, or even better yet, forgotten.

From way back when I remember that the "Guitar Man" remake issued as the lead single was kind of neat, with a previously-unheard ad-lib by Elvis on the fade of "What'd I Say" and Jerry Reed providing some nifty new guitar licks on his song. And it topped the country chart while making it just inside the top 30 on the pop chart. It was almost like the mid-to-late '70s era when Presley was still around. Not a dominant force, but still heard here and there. The wonder of Felton Jarvis.

But save for learning later about unreleased vocal takes on a couple of other songs, Guitar Man just did not sound very interesting, and the "new" arrangements I heard were simply not any better than the sessions that Elvis produced when he was alive.

Also curious to remember that Jarvis conducted 7 overdub sessions in Jan-Feb 1980, and 7 more in Oct-Nov 1980. Not a thing was released from the first group. That's a lot of wasted studio time and musicians. What went wrong? Did RCA hear some of it and tell Felton it wasn't good enough? Did someone decide the arrangements or overdub work were awful? All very odd.

I do remember also, one of the best things about the Guitar Man LP -- which I did not buy -- was a promo insert for "This Is Elvis." It looked like a movie that was going to be real, real gone. Somehow I managed to "find" a copy for my collection. Heh.

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Elvis2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:29 pm
I would like to see a remix (if possible) by Matt Ross-Spang of these sessions via FTD, I wonder how much better it could sound if given a cleaner and more dynamic mix.

RCA/FTD will never spend the money to have Matt Ross-Spang re-mix the 1980 overdub sessions. There would be no way to justify the cost.

But maybe Matt's a fan of this work, and would do it for free . . .

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

TINML wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:00 pm
James27 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:59 am
Any chance for a re-upload for this project, people ?
That'd be nice :)
It wasn't a project, per se, rather a nostalgic look back at the sessions.

Juan Luis was the man to thank for the array of previously unreleased material [including the complete interview Felton Jarvis gave to RCA rep Jerry Flowers - only released priorly in an edited form on a limited radio disc promo] he generously shared not too long after this thread.

drjohncarpenter

elvisalisellers wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:16 pm
It wasn't a project, per se, rather a nostalgic look back at the sessions.

Juan Luis was the man to thank for the array of previously unreleased material [including the complete interview Felton Jarvis gave to RCA rep Jerry Flowers - only released priorly in an edited form on a limited radio disc promo] he generously shared not too long after this thread.

What is interesting about the recording made December 16th by Nashville's Jerry Flowers is that it was actually an informal, pre-interview interview. The goal was to hone in on what questions would be best -- mainly about the Guitar Man project -- before they both went to a proper recording studio to tape them. So the subject matter was more wide-ranging, the conversation casual and relaxed.

Then Felton had a stroke three days later and everything was put on hold. Then he passed in early January 1981.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Jokerlola »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:17 pm
midnightx wrote:

From way back when I remember that the "Guitar Man" remake issued as the lead single was kind of neat, with a previously-unheard ad-lib by Elvis on the fade of "What'd I Say" and Jerry Reed providing some nifty new guitar licks on his song. And it topped the country chart while making it just inside the top 30 on the pop chart. It was almost like the mid-to-late '70s era when Presley was still around. Not a dominant force, but still heard here and there. The wonder of Felton Jarvis.

But save for learning later about unreleased vocal takes on a couple of other songs, Guitar Man just did not sound very interesting, and the "new" arrangements I heard were simply not any better than the sessions that Elvis produced when he was alive.

Also curious to remember that Jarvis conducted 7 overdub sessions in Jan-Feb 1980, and 7 more in Oct-Nov 1980. Not a thing was released from the first group. That's a lot of wasted studio time and musicians. What went wrong? Did RCA hear some of it and tell Felton it wasn't good enough? Did someone decide the arrangements or overdub work were awful? All very odd.

I do remember also, one of the best things about the Guitar Man LP -- which I did not buy -- was a promo insert for "This Is Elvis." It looked like a movie that was going to be real, real gone. Somehow I managed to "find" a copy for my collection. Heh.

'
I eagerly bought the album as I was buying everything that came out. I thought that Jerry Reed’s guitar on it was almost otherworldly and surely the product of studio tricks and multitrack layering but I remember he showed up on a TV special and sang Guitarman with the same guitar sound.

I remember I thought some of the album was good and much of it cringy. I liked Guitarman, Clean Up Your Own Back Yard and She Thinks I Still Care. I kind of liked Too Much Monkey Business and it brought me to the original which I got into after that.

Wasn’t this the first time we heard the rocking version of She Thinks I Still Care? I remember wondering at first if it was the album master with a rocking overdub until comparing them and realizing it was an unheard take.

I remember how excited I was for the “This Is Elvis” movie because of that insert. That insert went immediately on my wall. I later was able to get the movie theater to give me the poster of that when it’s theater run was over.

JohnnyByeBye
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by JohnnyByeBye »

TINML wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:51 pm
I quite like the version of Lovin' Arms from these sessions, dare I say as much as I like the master.
Same goes for me. I think I heard this version of Lovin Arms first before the version in Good Times..it waa always the best track in Guitar Man album, to me..

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

'
Makes me wonder and thinking what an 1980's Elvis album would sound like if he had lived in that time.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by midnightx »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:00 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

'
Makes me wonder and thinking what an 1980's Elvis album would sound like if he had lived in that time.
Under the same publishing restrictions of the 1970's with Felton Jarvis at the helm as producer and head of A&R, speculating on how an Elvis album in 1980 would have sounded like is not a difficult task. With Jarvis' death the following year, the producer's chair would have been vacant, so things would have inevitably changed. However, if Tom Parker was still in the picture, it is unlikely Elvis would have had the opportunity to collaborate with someone who could have truly changed the trajectory and direction of his stagnant recording career.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by sweetangeline »

there was some good tunes submitted for the January 77 sessions that never happened, would have loved to hear some of them done in 1980.

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

midnightx wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 am
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:00 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

'
Under the same publishing restrictions of the 1970's with Felton Jarvis at the helm as producer and head of A&R, speculating on how an Elvis album in 1980 would have sounded like is not a difficult task. With Jarvis' death the following year, the producer's chair would have been vacant, so things would have inevitably changed. However, if Tom Parker was still in the picture, it is unlikely Elvis would have had the opportunity to collaborate with someone who could have truly changed the trajectory and direction of his stagnant recording career.
and would have a 1980`s album of Elvis sound like that album?