Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: Suspicious Minds in Aloha

Post by drjohncarpenter »

GERRY wrote:Doc wrote:-
Thus, the earth-shaking studio and live recordings in June 1968.
Yep and still being felt as the best performance from that Special in the 1960's titling a number one album in 2015, who would have thought it!

::rocks
Yup. When Elvis sang like he cared, the results were always a triumph. Nothing stood in the way.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

Just my opinion here, (and it's a "Suspicious Minds" from Aloha thread), but the '68 version of "It Hurts Me" is nothing short of brilliant.

I remember first hearing it when I was a kid and even being mesmerized then. I'm not comparing it to the studio Master because their 2 very different recordings, IMO. But man, Elvis' vocal is something else.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

drjohncarpenter

minkahed wrote:Just my opinion here, (and it's a "Suspicious Minds" from Aloha thread), but the '68 version of "It Hurts Me" is nothing short of brilliant.

I remember first hearing it when I was a kid and even being mesmerized then. I'm not comparing it to the studio Master because their 2 very different recordings, IMO. But man, Elvis' vocal is something else.
It's pretty hard to miss how outstanding is Presley's work in June 1968.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

samses
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by samses »

This is true. Elvis career was at stake. He knew that and he did everything he could. When Elvis did that he was the best in the world. The work he did in June 1968 is on another level than what he did in January 1973. The sad fact is that Elvis was a whole lot better when he was outside his comfort zone.

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by matilda »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hobbes wrote:For what it's worth I'm glad that songs like Big Boss Man, Let Yourself Go, It Hurts Me, and Guitar Man were featured in the 68 special. They weren't hits by Elvis but they were solid, even fantastic songs that found a home in those production numbers.
And it almost goes without saying that his dynamic vocal performance on each of these is absolutely thrilling, and generally surpass the studio recordings made in 1964 and 1967. In 1973, the singer did not set the bar as high, did he?
I strongly disagree . especially on it hurts me. His 1968 over the top vocal and the lacking of the delicate quality in the softer passages rubs the song of something. The 1963 master is miles better than the 1968 karate show off production number song.
The 1964 master of "It Hurts Me" is understated and beautiful, the 1968 performances from Western Recorders and NBC Burbank become a matter of life and death. Whatever your personal preference, it is without question that Elvis' remarkable renditions of the above songs are striking, sounding like nothing he had done before. The arrangements are secondary to this fact. He set the bar to where it had once been, before the army. It is yet another reason why the TV special is a significant career achievement and why the 1973 program pales by comparison. And that is my point.
No, you said that generally the 68 renditions surpasses the earlier master.
And my point was that is not the case....no matter if elvis sang in 1968 as if his life were on the line.
That doesn't automatically make a rendition better. That's just subjective.....and i was not talking about the arrangements. My points were mere about his voice. And in my opinion his voice and interpretation is far better than the 68 version.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hobbes wrote:For what it's worth I'm glad that songs like Big Boss Man, Let Yourself Go, It Hurts Me, and Guitar Man were featured in the 68 special. They weren't hits by Elvis but they were solid, even fantastic songs that found a home in those production numbers.
And it almost goes without saying that his dynamic vocal performance on each of these is absolutely thrilling, and generally surpass the studio recordings made in 1964 and 1967. In 1973, the singer did not set the bar as high, did he?
I strongly disagree . especially on it hurts me. His 1968 over the top vocal and the lacking of the delicate quality in the softer passages rubs the song of something. The 1963 master is miles better than the 1968 karate show off production number song.
The 1964 master of "It Hurts Me" is understated and beautiful, the 1968 performances from Western Recorders and NBC Burbank become a matter of life and death. Whatever your personal preference, it is without question that Elvis' remarkable renditions of the above songs are striking, sounding like nothing he had done before. The arrangements are secondary to this fact. He set the bar to where it had once been, before the army. It is yet another reason why the TV special is a significant career achievement and why the 1973 program pales by comparison. And that is my point.
Of course the arrangements are not secondary to that fact. Quite the opposite, as you and others continually point out every time Vegas is brought up here. There is more a great recording than a great vocal - it requires a great arrangement, too. And Big Boss Man, Guitar Man, It Hurts Me and Let Yourself Go certainly did not get those in 1968 and, I would add, neither did a number of the hits during the stand up segments either. The arrangements were cheesy then, and they are cheesy now. Sure, Elvis's vocals elevates them, but he doesn't manage to escape them.
Everybody, starting with the doc and others talks about the arrangement. I did not. I was mostly speaking about the rendition.
And even if elvis sounded in 1968 like his life was on the line........or like he never sounded before. .i still prefer his 1964 rendition.
Not everything (!!!) was elevated in 1968....some.....like lawdy miss clawdy and many others......yes......some, well....not.
That's subjective . But nobody shoud present own preferences as fact.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

for "it hurts me" i love both versions but I prefer the '68 one. I like it more because it has more edge and is more wild. The 64 version is too perfect, the arrangement is too polished for my taste - a bit too pop for me. But I love both very much.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Fabbe wrote:for "it hurts me" i love both versions but I prefer the '68 one. I like it more because it has more edge and is more wild. The 64 version is too perfect, the arrangement is too polished for my taste - a bit too pop for me. But I love both very much.
Polished? But the angry voice when he sings about the other man is pure anger, passion and envious. It has more edge and emotional depth than the 68 version. He pures his heart out and than takes himself back. The emotional range between his tenderness towards here and the angry and edginess in his voice toward the other man is much bigger on the 64 version.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

matilda wrote:
Fabbe wrote:for "it hurts me" i love both versions but I prefer the '68 one. I like it more because it has more edge and is more wild. The 64 version is too perfect, the arrangement is too polished for my taste - a bit too pop for me. But I love both very much.
Polished? But the angry voice when he sings about the other man is pure anger, passion and envious. It has more edge and emotional depth than the 68 version. He pures his heart out and than takes himself back. The emotional range between his tenderness towards here and the angry and edginess in his voice toward the other man is much bigger on the 64 version.
the arrangement of the 64 version is too polished for me. What can I say Matilda, that is my opinion

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

jetblack
Registered for: 20 years

Post by jetblack »

What some may have forgot is that both 'It Hurts Me' and 'Let Yourself Go' were NOT in the original broadcasts of 'ELVIS (1968).

The first release of these recordings belong to the classic boot LP 'The '68 Comeback' (MKS-101) from 1976.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
You and I must be hearing two different songs... Elvis' 1968 recording of It Hurts Me, while not having the same delicate vocal as the 1964 performance, is nothing short of incredible. His deliberate and manic approach to this re-recording is a stunning contrast to what we hear from 1964.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

BINGO! My thoughts, exactly.....

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Fabbe wrote:
matilda wrote:
the arrangement of the 64 version is too polished for me. What can I say Matilda, that is my opinion
Ok, than we misunderstood. I was talkin about his interpretation.you merely about the arrangement.
Besides, of course we can disagree....because neither you or i, unlike others, present their own opinions as "facts".

But if we talk about the arrangement.....i tend to disagree too. The piano and guitar accents are more suitable for the message/lyric intentions in my opinion. But if you prefer the 68 arrangement......fair enough.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

matilda wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
matilda wrote:
Ok, than we misunderstood. I was talkin about his interpretation.you merely about the arrangement.
Besides, of course we can disagree....because neither you or i, unlike others, present their own opinions as "facts".

But if we talk about the arrangement.....i tend to disagree too. The piano and guitar accents are more suitable for the message/lyric intentions in my opinion. But if you prefer the 68 arrangement......fair enough.
that's ok - I like different opinion. :-) and may I add I love the 64 version very much. So our opinions are not that different after all. Sometimes we tend to focus on the small percentage that divides us, and forget the vast majority that unites us.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

elvis-fan wrote:
matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
You and I must be hearing two different songs... Elvis' 1968 recording of It Hurts Me, while not having the same delicate vocal as the 1964 performance, is nothing short of incredible. His deliberate and manic approach to this re-recording is a stunning contrast to what we hear from 1964.
Yeah, stunning contrast. I agree.but his manic approach does the lyrics no good.
The 64 master delivers more emotion and more depth.
Unless you think, and i don't mean to put your opinion down, a more manic or louder approach ("elvis sings for his life") is per se better.
Its not. In my opinion.
But i agree.....its a very noticeable contrast.
But in this contrast in my opinion the 64 master wins.
But i respect your opinion. It just we may both searching for something different in a performance.
Nothin wrong with that.

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Domino »

Since we are talking about "It Hurts Me" in this Aloha -Suspicious Minds thread......

Just gotta say.......

I like the both the 64 & 68 recordings....

but I like the 64 one a tad more.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Fabbe wrote:
matilda wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
matilda wrote:

that's ok - I like different opinion. :-) and may I add I love the 64 version very much. So our opinions are not that different after all. Sometimes we tend to focus on the small percentage that divides us, and forget the vast majority that unites us.
Well, we don't have a problem, besides here we only misunderstood each other.
And furthermore we don't present our own opinions as "facts" and shoved down the throat of the other.
Everything ok so far..and like i said....in some instances he bettered in 68 his 50s versions.and he even looked better than ever before (also subjective). But going so far that his interpretations in 68 were all better than what he recorded before (talkin about the same songs), is silly.
Therefore....following that logic his live interpretation of hound dog in 1968 was better than the one from 1956 or 1961.....just because he sang for his life is silly. But i bet my own sun single of "tiger man" that that person will never say that i may have a valid point.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Read carefully. I said that the 64 master has edge on the angry lyrics.
And i never said that edge in 1968 is unsettling. Talking about putting words in my mouth.

Man, if this would be a trial in the real world....which is it not....every even not that talented lawyer would put you into pieces......unless the grand jury is full of your mods.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by GERRY »

I have heard it said that once Elvis laid it down, he couldn't top it. I guess for the most part this remains true except for the rare occasions,i.e 1968 Lawdy miss clawdy(maybe), 1970 Patch it Up(probably), 1968 Cant Help Falling In love(maybe),1968 Love Me Tender(i think so), 77 My Way(certain), any more?

But for me the jury is out as on It Hurts Me, i just cannot decide, the original is exquisitely sung, but i also love the 68 version just as much. :roll:

::rocks

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

I respect your opinion.....but really......the superb master of can't help falling in love from 1961 is bettered in 1968?

Hmmmm...how opinions can differ.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:You and I must be hearing two different songs... Elvis' 1968 recording of It Hurts Me, while not having the same delicate vocal as the 1964 performance, is nothing short of incredible. His deliberate and manic approach to this re-recording is a stunning contrast to what we hear from 1964.
Yup and yup.

Indeed, for some, hearing Elvis sing with an "edge" is unsettling, so much so that they cannot hear that he is giving us something new.

Again, my pointing this out was to draw a contrast between the 1968 program and the one taped for NBC five years later. It is a fact that the investment in each song was simply not as before. This was why the version of "Suspicious Minds" from 1-14-1973 was delivered with a disinterested, partially-mumbled vocal.
And for the life of me, I cant figure why that is. Must be strictly 70's fans. The edge was gone by 1971

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

GERRY wrote:I have heard it said that once Elvis laid it down, he couldn't top it. I guess for the most part this remains true except for the rare occasions,
i.e 1968 Lawdy miss clawdy(maybe), 1970 Patch it Up(probably), 1968 Cant Help Falling In love(maybe)...
OK let's not get crazy... it's certainly a beautiful version but in no way, shape or form does it compare to his #1 masterpiece recorded in 1961... it just doesn't get better than that!!

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

I agree.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:You and I must be hearing two different songs... Elvis' 1968 recording of It Hurts Me, while not having the same delicate vocal as the 1964 performance, is nothing short of incredible. His deliberate and manic approach to this re-recording is a stunning contrast to what we hear from 1964.
Yup and yup.

Indeed, for some, hearing Elvis sing with an "edge" is unsettling, so much so that they cannot hear that he is giving us something new.

Again, my pointing this out was to draw a contrast between the 1968 program and the one taped for NBC five years later. It is a fact that the investment in each song was simply not as before. This was why the version of "Suspicious Minds" from 1-14-1973 was delivered with a disinterested, partially-mumbled vocal.
And for the life of me, I cant figure why that is. Must be strictly 70's fans. The edge was gone by 1971
He was talking about me cause I thought that the 64 version is superior to the 68 version(which was the opposite of his opinion, which, as he puts it.....is a "fact").so you misunderstood a little.
And I am no way a 70s fan.

drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Yup and yup.

Yes, sad but true. And for the "Aloha" project his dedication to each song was also MIA.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.