More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by pmp »

Igotstung wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:53 pm

If the song was indeed recorded to be part of released tracks, a lyric sheet would have been made available well in advance.

Such lack of planning suggests a spontaneous performance, which was nonetheless overdubbed later because it was Elvis singing Hey Jude.
That is not true. There are numerous examples where Elvis simply used the words that he remembered and nobody went to find a lyric sheet - including I'll Be There from these very same sessions. Elvis doesn't include the 2nd verse:

I'll miss you
And in my dreams I'll kiss you
And wish you luck on your new affair
So baby, if you need me
All you have to do is call me
And don't you worry, darling
I'll be there

What you also miss here that much of what Elvis recoreded was through a spontaneous performance of something that just came into his mind. This was nothing unusual, and most of those recordings were released as a master - as was intended.

Other examples include Blue Christmas, When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again, Little Cabin on the Hill, Spanish Eyes, and The Wonder of You. Maybe Blue Moon, too, although it's possible he knew the other lyrics and chose not to include them, given that his version is so unlike any other.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

A fun video i made to promote the set

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Mike C
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by Mike C »

Looking at the timing notations on the Qobuz site, it appears that the set contains the Chips Moman original length master of Suspicious Minds. We first heard that on 1987's The Memphis Record.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:35 am

Very cool... nice sync work. I loved how you worked in the James and Ronnie footage during the bass lead section... it was right on the money!!
Last edited by elvis-fan on Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igotstung
Registered for: 7 months

Post by Igotstung »

pmp wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:50 pm
Igotstung wrote:

If the song was indeed recorded to be part of released tracks, a lyric sheet would have been made available well in advance.

Such lack of planning suggests a spontaneous performance, which was nonetheless overdubbed later because it was Elvis singing Hey Jude.
That is not true. There are numerous examples where Elvis simply used the words that he remembered and nobody went to find a lyric sheet - including I'll Be There from these very same sessions. Elvis doesn't include the 2nd verse:

I'll miss you
So baby, if you need me
I'll be there

What you also miss here that much of what Elvis recoreded was through a spontaneous performance of something that just came into his mind. This was nothing unusual, and most of those recordings were released as a master - as was intended.

Other examples include Blue Christmas, When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again, Little Cabin on the Hill, Spanish Eyes, and The Wonder of You. Maybe Blue Moon, too, although it's possible he knew the other lyrics and chose not to include them, given that his version is so unlike any other.
Context is important here.
1. We have a fully committed Elvis rearing to go after the successful comeback. But the performance of this song has a loose, jam- like, not -entirely- devoted quality to it that is utterly different from all other recordings of these sessions.
2. We have a producer in control of creative vision with a penchant for perfection.
3. This here is a recent monster hit song by Beatles, that is lyrically dense.

All these factor combined together distinguish this situation, from examples you have listed.

Any serious plans of making this song into master would have required serious committment in this context, spontaneous or not.

Wayne
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by Wayne »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:01 pm
Billy Easter wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:47 pm
I agree. The fact that it was tried for six takes, including a rehearsal, before completing a master take, suggests to me it was being recorded for release. It was allocated a matrix number and annotated Track Only in the session logs, per Keith Flynn's site.

You should refer to my previous post.

But here are some additional facts about "Hey Jude" discussed here many times:

• the session was slated for vocal overdubs
  • "Hey Jude" was run down on piano by Elvis, only 2 takes considered complete
  • the entire time spent on the song was likely about 20 minutes
  • the remainder of the session was nothing but vocal overdubs until the end of the night
  • at the end of the night, Elvis banged out a cover of "From A Jack To A King" to please his father
  • as with "Hey Jude" only 2 takes considered complete
  • both were allocated matrix numbers because ELVIS PRESLEY recorded them at a professional studio

This is not rocket science.
Not quite. The matrix number allocated to Hey Jude was "Track Only". That means there's no vocals. It's not rocket science, just common-sense.

Billy Easter
Registered for: 2 months

Post by Billy Easter »

Igotstung wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:40 am
pmp wrote:
Igotstung wrote:

I'll miss you
So baby, if you need me
I'll be there

1. We have a fully committed Elvis rearing to go after the successful comeback. But the performance of this song has a loose, jam- like, not -entirely- devoted quality to it that is utterly different from all other recordings of these sessions.
2. We have a producer in control of creative vision with a penchant for perfection.

All these factor combined together distinguish this situation, from examples you have listed.

Any serious plans of making this song into master would have required serious committment in this context, spontaneous or not.
The session logs don't lie. Hey Jude is *TRACK ONLY just like Come Out, Come Out and Poor Man's Gold. All three required a vocal overdub. Elvis's half-hearted singing on Hey Jude is merely a guide vocal.

Logs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

Billy Easter wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:38 pm
Igotstung wrote:
pmp wrote:
Igotstung wrote:

I'll miss you
So baby, if you need me
I'll be there

The session logs don't lie. Hey Jude is *TRACK ONLY just like Come Out, Come Out and Poor Man's Gold. All three required a vocal overdub. Elvis's half-hearted singing on Hey Jude is merely a guide vocal.

Logs.jpg
We are going in circles here.

Nobody is saying that session logs are lying!!

In your earlier post you proposed that since there was a rehearsal and a master take, it was being recorded for release from the very start. Now you are saying that Elvis' "half hearted' singing was just a guide vocal.

The fact is that there were no actual committed master vocals added by Elvis if indeed this monster hit of a song was seriously planned to be released as a master.

I don't have anything more to say on this I am afraid.

alfredotcb
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by alfredotcb »

Great box
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dsiciliano
Registered for: 5 months
Mood:

Post by dsiciliano »

elvis-fan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:35 am
Johnny2523 wrote:

Very cool... nice sync work. I loved how you worked in the James and Ronnie footage during the bass led section... it was right on the money!!
Man, I LOVE the '74 version of Polk Salad from the Memphis show! What a wild performance. I have always thought of this show as one of his best live albums, especially with the FTD remix. I know its not a perfect mix, but far better than the original. I wonder what it sounded like in Quad! Anyway, great job, it is now in my favorites! Thank you again for the work...excellent!!!!

I hope one day, they mix it with the audience more of a part of the mix. They really made a big deal on how they mic'd the arena, but I have yet to hear a mix that reflects the effort with the live ambience they were going after. To me, the best part of a live recording is hearing the audience feedback in its frenzy! It adds so much excitement to the mix. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I prefer that. In a risk of turning some of you off, I'm gonna post a video of another of my favorite singers, Engelbert Humperdink, from A live performance in 2018 in Hawaii . listen to how this was mixed, with heavy emphasis on the audience....I love it! it just adds a level of excitement to the recording..(ok, no wisecracks please). Keep in mind he is like 81 years old here, and still sounds superb! Enjoy:

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

dsiciliano wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:08 pm
elvis-fan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:35 am
Johnny2523 wrote:

Very cool... nice sync work. I loved how you worked in the James and Ronnie footage during the bass led section... it was right on the money!!
Man, I LOVE the '74 version of Polk Salad from the Memphis show! What a wild performance. I have always thought of this show as one of his best live albums, especially with the FTD remix. I know its not a perfect mix, but far better than the original. I wonder what it sounded like in Quad! Anyway, great job, it is now in my favorites! Thank you again for the work...excellent!!!!

I hope one day, they mix it with the audience more of a part of the mix. They really made a big deal on how they mic'd the arena, but I have yet to hear a mix that reflects the effort with the live ambience they were going after. To me, the best part of a live recording is hearing the audience feedback in its frenzy! It adds so much excitement to the mix. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I prefer that. In a risk of turning some of you off, I'm gonna post a video of another of my favorite singers, Engelbert Humperdink, from A live performance in 2018 in Hawaii . listen to how this was mixed, with heavy emphasis on the audience....I love it! it just adds a level of excitement to the recording..(ok, no wisecracks please). Keep in mind he is like 81 years old here, and still sounds superb! Enjoy:

Great to hear! Engelbert also payed homage to Elvis during that show singing i'll remember you

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

jeremylr
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by jeremylr »

Elvis plays rhythm acoustic guitar on both "Hey Jude" and "From a Jack to a King," off-the-cuff performances recorded the same evening. Reggie Young is on electric guitar. Extremely unusual after the '50s for only one credited guitarist to be on an Elvis session. I hear Elvis' guitar on these 8 songs from American Sound in 1969:

1. "I'm Movin' On"
2. "Hey Jude"
3. "From a Jack to a King"
4. "I'll Be There"
5. "Stranger in My Own Home Town"
6. "It's My Way" / "This Time" / "I Can't Stop Loving You" [outtake]
7. "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road"
8. "If I'm a Fool for Loving You"

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Wayne wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:12 pm
Not quite. The matrix number allocated to Hey Jude was "Track Only". That means there's no vocals. It's not rocket science, just common-sense.

There were clearly vocals taped on that January 1969 evening, and they sound amazingly like the artist being recorded at American Sound by producer/owner Chips Moman, the tune was not "TRACK ONLY."

The notation was intended to convey that the recording wasn't considered salable as-is. If it were to be worthy of release, more would be needed on the vocals. It couldn't begin with being assigned a matrix number. That work was not done, even though the track received additional instrumental overdubs. But years later Felton Jarvis put the thing out on an RCA LP anyway, because by 1972, only commerce mattered, not artistry.

Have a sweet day, Wayne.

:wink:
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Igotstung wrote:
pmp wrote:

I'll miss you
So baby, if you need me
I'll be there

Any serious plans of making this song into master would have required serious comittment in this context, spontaneous or not.

Spot-on.

Some folks here don't consider context, they just want to argue.

It's the internet, in all its glory.

:D
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

Engelbert Humperdinck In Hawaii 2018 - Welcome to My World

drjohncarpenter

Billy Easter wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:38 pm

Last time for me with you, it's getting exhausting.

Session logs frequently have inaccuracies, for reasons accidental and intended. But I'm not going to devote pages to that now. Do some homework, you'll understand better.

Your three examples are all very different:

• "Hey Jude" is a complete run-through with vocals
  • "Come Out, Come Out (Wherever You Are)" has no Elvis vocal
  • "Poor Man's Gold" has Elvis' vocal for one verse

The first was the only to receive overdubs because it was ELVIS PRESLEY singing a BEATLES song, the #1 SINGLE OF 1968.

"Half-hearted" vocals? I don't think so. Try a recording like "The Love Machine" or any of the horrific soundtrack tunes from 1963-1967.

The other two did not receive overdubs or anything else because someone decided no more vocal work would be done.

As my friend Wayne might tell you, this is "common-sense."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

kanishknishar

Post by kanishknishar »

I don't see the point of these re-releases... Wasn't the point of FTD deluxe reissues that the songs were remixed and stripped down from their orchestral overdubs? I mean even within FTD some of these songs have been re-released twice (each time sounding better supposedly?)

Is there something new this time?

drjohncarpenter

kanishknishar wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:17 pm
I don't see the point of these re-releases... Wasn't the point of FTD deluxe reissues that the songs were remixed and stripped down from their orchestral overdubs? I mean even within FTD some of these songs have been re-released twice (each time sounding better supposedly?)

Is there something new this time?

For retail product of legacy artist, the company has to find a new wrinkle in order to sell the music. It doesn't matter if a great collection came out in 2014. Retail has a very short memory.

For the hardcore fans, that's why FTD is such a treat. Much more focused, interesting and sometimes "new" items may be part of the release.

In either case, it's a little tough. Elvis left us over 45 years ago . . . and counting.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mmoie
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by mmoie »

I do think that the live show should have been released on its own either a Legacy or a FTD release.
And it should include all the undubbed studio masters from 69, 73 and 76 and no live show.
I feel short changed that this was not done.
Its like the 70's box set cherry picking songs instead of including all the studio masters from the 70's.
I will buy it but feel let down by this release.

drjohncarpenter

mmoie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:51 am
I do think that the live show should have been released on its own either a Legacy or a FTD release.
And it should include all the undubbed studio masters from 69, 73 and 76 and no live show.
Its like the 70's box set cherry picking songs instead of including all the studio masters from the 70's.

Both of these things have already happened, FTD in 2004 and SONY LEGACY in 2014.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mmoie
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by mmoie »

I know I have both of them.
But not remixed by Matt.
Just I would liked all studio undubbed masters recorded in Memphis on one package.
And the live show as a separate entity on its own remixed in 7 inch packaging with booklet.

kanishknishar

Post by kanishknishar »

mmoie wrote:
We already have the undubbed studio masters no in the various FTDs and RCA releases?

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by L Ray »

kanishknishar wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:33 am
mmoie wrote:
We already have the undubbed studio masters no in the various FTDs and RCA releases?
This new release is also remixed.

Igotstung

Post by Igotstung »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:57 pm
Igotstung wrote:
pmp wrote:

I'll miss you
So baby, if you need me
I'll be there

Any serious plans of making this song into master would have required serious comittment in this context, spontaneous or not.

Spot-on.

Some folks here don't consider context, they just want to argue.

It's the internet, in all its glory.

:D
Thank you.

I don't know about just wanting to argue, but then I am new here!

The context is always important to make sense of facts/ evidence, and in this case, the combination of artist+ producer+ song is too critical.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by minkahed »

The whole Back In Memphis album should’ve been included, period.

I guess we’ll have to wait for another FTD session box to finally see this happen. And this time, hopefully, we’ll get the finished masters included.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth