Mike C wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:01 am
ChrisM wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:37 am
Mike C wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:14 pm
ChrisM wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Can anyone identify if there is any new (not just remixed) audio here?
They multiple tales of the "Baby, I Don't Care" rhythm tracks are all new. And, all songs are mixed into mono so that differs from the binaural sound on FTD's JHR Volume 1 and 2.
OK, so let me rephrase. No new Elvis vocals then?
After checking against the FTD releases, I don't think we will be getting any new Elvis vocals.
Hmm? :(

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

bigkid
Registered for: 9 years 5 months
Mood:

Re: The Making Of Jailhouse Rock (FTD)

Post by bigkid »

ChrisM wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:12 pm

They multiple tales of the "Baby, I Don't Care" rhythm tracks are all new. And, all songs are mixed into mono so that differs from the binaural sound on FTD's JHR Volume 1 and 2.

Big Deal! FTDs Volume 1 and 2 are more than enough!

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

The Making Of Jailhouse Rock (FTD)

Post by ForeverElvis »

Beale wrote:275.00 USD on the Graceland webshop.
That’s $347 CDN!
Plus shipping!!
Shipping on or around 1/14/2022

This would end up costing the same or more than the TTWII 8cd/2 book set.

The pricing on these larger sets seem to jump drastically with each release. It’s insane that two books and three CDs will end up costing $40 more than a set with eight CDs and two larger books.

Graceland
January 2022
Jailhouse Rock (3cd/2book/1EP)
$275

January 2021
Bruce Jackson (book/3cd)
was $170

May 2021
Lens of Robert Vose (book/2cd) was $145

August 2020
TTWII was $235 (bear family)

November 2019
The making of viva Las Vegas (book/3cd) was $150

January 2019
Lens of Phillip Harrington (book/cd) was $100

November 2018
Wild One (book/CD) was $100

As an example the two “lens of” books, what made the price jump $45 for essentially the same thing just a different subject? The “vose” book is only $5 less than the VLV book and contains less.

Always Elvis
Anthony

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Are there any color photos in the Jailhouse Rock books? With most book announcements they indicate color photos as a selling point. I haven’t seen any such announcement regarding these books.

MT

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by colonel snow »

The making of Jailhouse rock already started in 1950 with Gene Kelly (dancer) in mind.

23-12-50 – synopsis of story “Ghost of a chance” by Helen Spencer (24 pages)

19-01-51 – first script based on story “Ghost of a chance” by Nedrick Young (87 pages)

26-01--51– Notes by Karl Tunberg & Leonard Spiegelgass (8 pages)

16-02-52 – Metro invited Karl Tunberg & Leonard Spiegelgass to write a screenplay;

29-03-51 – incomplete temporary screenplay script with changes till 7 may 1951 – written by Karl Tunberg & Leonard Spiegelgass (44 pages) titled “Ghost of a chance”
+ revised – retyped version with 50 pages from old script with changes till 30 april 1951.

10-05-51 – extra notes by Karl Tunberg & Leonard Spiegelgass (3 pages)

24-04-52 – extra notes – written by Ruth Brooks Flippen (11 pages)

13-06-52 – complete temporary screenplay – written by Ruth Brooks Flippen (80 pages) titled Jailhouse rock

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Rob »

bigkid wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:13 am
FTDs Volume 1 and 2 are more than enough!
ForeverElvis wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:56 am
That’s $347 CDN!
Plus shipping!!
Shipping on or around 1/14/2022

This would end up costing the same or more than the TTWII 8cd/2 book set.

The pricing on these larger sets seem to jump drastically with each release. It’s insane that two books and three CDs will end up costing $40 more than a set with eight CDs and two larger books.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

vinyljunkie

Post by vinyljunkie »

I am really sad to see that this is FTD's next big project.
It must be the most money grabbing project ever from either FTD or others.

There's really no need for a product like this at all.
1. The music is allready out there.
2. The story has been told several times before in several books. Some great books too.
3. Hundreds of pictures are allready out there and has been for many years. Do we really need more pictures?
4. The movies cript has been published. And lots of other paperwork is well known.

I guess there's a collector out there that needs to get some money out their few photos left in their collection before they are worth zero.

It's a pity that most ideas for the FTD projects seems to come from people outside of FTD these days. This set, The Best of British, His songs of praise, the list of products without any interest for others than the writers and a few other fans seems to be the new norm.

As said here before, the archives are almost empty. But who would have believed in the beginning of the FTD label that it should end like this. From perfection to ....... meaningless.

From a very dissapointed fan of Elvis and the FTD label.

Thomas S.

Will
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by Will »

Id love this. but too rich for my blood

archdeak

Post by archdeak »

To charge this amount for this set is greedy. If it was limited to 50 copies only, they may get away with it.
If you have the money to throw away, then go for it. Nothing new to attract such a price in my opinion.

rgray_69
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by rgray_69 »

bigkid wrote:

To me having the Binaural songs mixed to mono is one of the reasons not to buy it. All of Elvis's 50's material is in mono. When Sony found the Binaural tapes it was a huge deal being able to hear these tracks in this mix with the channel separation.

vinyljunkie

Post by vinyljunkie »

rgray_69 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:36 pm

To me having the Binaural songs mixed to mono is one of the reasons not to buy it. All of Elvis's 50's material is in mono. When Sony found the Binaural tapes it was a huge deal being able to hear these tracks in this mix with the channel separation.
This is just like MRS do. FTD remix to mono, MRS remix to stereo. Fake mono or fake stereo, what's the difference?
Loving you were at least recorded in mono and two track. But if there's no mono session tapes, who needs them. A more true to life stereo mix could have been a better idea.

If we buy these products, we will get even more of them! The only way to stop these products from beeing manufactured is NOT buying them.

Thomas S.

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Christopher »

i like the first titel "ghost of a chance". we have a similar trope in german: "hauch einer chance" ("hauch" means whiff/tang/breeze). i think it´s mostly used in the negation: "he didn´t stand the ghost of a chance"/" er hatte nicht den hauch einer chance".
colonel snow wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:17 pm
13-06-52 – complete temporary screenplay – written by Ruth Brooks Flippen (80 pages) titled Jailhouse rock.
i´m surprised to read the later title here.
was the term "rock" (derived from rock´n´roll or rock music) a common term by 1952?? or was it first meant as "a rock" like a bedrock/crag?
(some native speaker might be able to help me out)

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Kullervo
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Kullervo »

rgray_69 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:36 pm
bigkid wrote:

I can understand you, but for me it's the opposite. I get a headache listening to the binaural sessions with headphones, a mono mix would be easier on my ears. IF I get it, it's for the mono mixes, mainly.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Christopher wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:41 pm
i like the first titel "ghost of a chance". we have a similar trope in german: "hauch einer chance" ("hauch" means whiff/tang/breeze). i think it´s mostly used in the negation: "he didn´t stand the ghost of a chance"/" er hatte nicht den hauch einer chance".
colonel snow wrote:
13-06-52 – complete temporary screenplay – written by Ruth Brooks Flippen (80 pages) titled Jailhouse rock.
was the term "rock" (derived from rock´n´roll or rock music) a common term by 1952?? or was it first meant as "a rock" like a bedrock/crag?
Released 1934
R-12335534-1533162308-2643.jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Christopher wrote:i like the first titel "ghost of a chance". we have a similar trope in german: "hauch einer chance" ("hauch" means whiff/tang/breeze). i think it´s mostly used in the negation: "he didn´t stand the ghost of a chance"/" er hatte nicht den hauch einer chance".
colonel snow wrote:
It was not uncommon for a Prison to be nicknamed “The Rock”. That term was mainly affiliated with Alcatraz so it doesn’t work as “Jailhouse Rock”.

I’m surprised as well. I thought JR originally was finally named JR because L&S came up with the song. It’s surprising to learn that they started out with a title and wrote from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Christopher »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:54 pm
Christopher wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:41 pm
colonel snow wrote:
Top-ten for Frank Sinatra in 1952 -- Castle Rock.

Whilst the Jailhouse Rock musical sequence was undoubtedly influenced stylistically, by The Lock Step, from 1934’s Jailbirds of Paradise. Although this sequence was originally shot for an earlier, unfinished movie, The March of Time. Other influences appreciated, of course, as this scene was essentially a cinematic appropriation of the musical performances that were seen on television at that time. But M.G.M. recycled songs and ideas all through their Golden Era.

i agree the second video looks (very) similar to m.g.m.´s 1957 production number, including the cell block.
but the question still stands if if the 1952 screenplay "jailhouse rock" by ruth brooks flippen was intended to be a musical and therefore named after the musical genre "rock".
or if it was named referring to a jailhouse (on a) bedrock island.
i hope, the new book will answer those (and more) questions.

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/