Elvis-Pontiac Mi 1975 Newspaper

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Elvis-Pontiac Mi 1975 Newspaper

Post by rickeap »

His split pants received newspaper attention and a photo here in Australia. I still have the clipping somewhere

mrt
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by mrt »

Francesc wrote: I do believe that some of the concerts were NOT sold out.
That's my understanding as well. I also believe the reason they closed the upper deck at the at Pontiac concert was that the Colonel didn't think Elvis was able to fill the arena. But of course, this is just my belief.
BTW, wasn't the Stones originally booked to do this show? I believe I've read somewhere that when the Stones had to cancel because of illness, Elvis was booked as substitute. Would this be correct?

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Robert »

Francesc wrote:I do believe that some of the concerts were NOT sold out.
This is a fact, my best estimate would be a few dozen non sell out shows.
However, even those shows were near sell outs..

To name a few?

Spokane'73
Abilene'77
Omaha'77

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by Joe Car »

Mr.T wrote:
That's my understanding as well. I also believe the reason they closed the upper deck at the at Pontiac concert was that the Colonel didn't think Elvis was able to fill the arena. But of course, this is just my belief.
BTW, wasn't the Stones originally booked to do this show? I believe I've read somewhere that when the Stones had to cancel because of illness, Elvis was booked as substitute. Would this be correct?
I don't believe Elvis replaced the Stones, and if I can remember correctly, 60,000 tickets was the announced amount going on sale, this before they actually went on sale. Either way, over 60,000 people, Pontiac, Michigan New Years Eve, phenominal, especially given the weather conditions and such!
Last edited by Joe Car on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Pontiac proved, despite difficult circumstances, Elvis did have potential as a stadium act.

Elvis could have easily filled Wembley (80000+)
But heck, it was an outdoor venue, right Dries?

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

To say that Elvis replaced The Stones would mean it was a bit of a last minute thing....I think that this Concert would have been planned way before.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Robert wrote:

To name a few?

Spokane'73
Abilene'77
Omaha'77
Typing a newspaper review ... I read ..

From September 27, 1974 College Park, MD.

And for the privilege of reliving memory they paid from $5 up to $10 and filled most "but not quite all of the seats at Cole Field House at the University of Maryland.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by elvisjock »

Elvis was one of the top grossing acts on the road right through June, 1977. If he was not "stadium worthy," neither was anyone else.

Go to a library and look through old issues of Billboard. While Elvis' pop record sales were declining, and radio treated him like an oldies act, he was still very much at the top of the concert charts.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

mrt
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by mrt »

Robert wrote:

To name a few?

Spokane'73
Abilene'77
Omaha'77
Don't forget Palm Beach, Florida 1977.
LD wrote:To say that Elvis replaced The Stones would mean it was a bit of a last minute thing....I think that this Concert would have been planned way before.
Not necessarily, if say Jagger broke a foot or whatever they'd be able to find another act in time. I'm not all sure, but until proven wrong, I believe the Stones was their first choice.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Mr.T wrote:
Not necessarily, if say Jagger broke a foot or whatever they'd be able to find another act in time. I'm not all sure, but until proven wrong, I believe the Stones was their first choice.
Yes, given that injury I would say maybe yes then. I hope someone can find out for definite.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by Pete Dube »

elvisjock wrote:Elvis was one of the top grossing acts on the road right through June, 1977. If he was not "stadium worthy," neither was anyone else.

Go to a library and look through old issues of Billboard. While Elvis' pop record sales were declining, and radio treated him like an oldies act, he was still very much at the top of the concert charts.
Elvisjock, you're correct that Elvis' pop sales were in decline at the time, but most of Elvis' 50's contemporaries were pretty much off of the charts in the mid 70's. Even in decline Elvis still managed to score top 40 hits with a few going top 20.

Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

elvisjock wrote:Elvis was one of the top grossing acts on the road right through June, 1977. If he was not "stadium worthy," neither was anyone else.
Found this piece in a Louisiana paper from March 1977: at that point it would indeed have been doubtful whether Elvis could have sold out such an arena...in the States, that is. I'm almost sure had he come come to Europe even in 1977 he would have had no trouble at all?
superdome.png

bethann
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by bethann »

I do know that the concert that he gave on May 31, 1977 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana was not sold out, by a long shot. I know of someone who was there and said that they hung dark curtains up so that the unused seats would not be seen. This concert was a make-up show from the March show when he decided to fly back to Memphis after everyone was already seated and waiting for him to come on stage. The original show was sold-out; however, the make-up show took up about half of the seats in the LSU Assembly Center.

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
University of Memphis

Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

bethann wrote:
I do know that the concert that he gave on May 31, 1977 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana was not sold out, by a long shot. I know of someone who was there and said that they hung dark curtains up so that the unused seats would not be seen. The original show was sold-out; however, the make-up show took up about half of the seats in the LSU Assembly Center.
According to Morning Advocate in BAton Rouge, the earlier show had an attendance of 13000 whereas the later one 12000...?

bethann

Post by bethann »

Scott Hayward wrote:
bethann wrote:
I do know that the concert that he gave on May 31, 1977 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana was not sold out, by a long shot. I know of someone who was there and said that they hung dark curtains up so that the unused seats would not be seen. The original show was sold-out; however, the make-up show took up about half of the seats in the LSU Assembly Center.
According to Morning Advocate in BAton Rouge, the earlier show had an attendance of 13000 whereas the later one 12000...?
From someone that actually sat through the concert said that the LSU Assembly Center was not full and they had put dark drapes to hide the unused seats. I guess you shouldn't believe everything you read. :wink:

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

Robert

Post by Robert »

Scott Hayward wrote:
bethann wrote:
That means a near full house..
Seats could have been closed because of limited view areas. That was pretty common as the set up for Elvis was a 360 view.
A bit hard to believe half of the ticket holders didn't show up the second time around?

Robert

Post by Robert »

Newspaper snippet from Sioux Falls, June '77:

"While all is readiness for Presley and his entourage, the only group holding back is the public.
Unlike the ticket office stampede at his Oct. 18 Sioux Falls concert, Wednesday performance still has empty seats at the Arena with tickets still on sale at the Convention Center."

(from: Elvisconcerts.com..)

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by midnightx »

Scott Hayward wrote:
Found this piece in a Louisiana paper from March 1977: at that point it would indeed have been doubtful whether Elvis could have sold out such an arena...in the States, that is. I'm almost sure had he come come to Europe even in 1977 he would have had no trouble at all?
superdome.png
He would have still sold a LOT of seats at the Superdome in 1977, particularly if the on-sale would have taken place prior to the airing of the CBS Special. A sell-out? It would have been tough, but Parker and Concerts West would have scaled it down so they could claim a "sell out" - a scenario that plays out today with current artists.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Scott Hayward wrote:
superdome.png
Thanks Scott.

Looks like New Orleans was one of the few major cities Elvis didn't play yet..
That plus the fact that the southern states were really "Elvis country", could have potentially filled that place in 1977.

Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

Robert wrote:A bit hard to believe half of the ticket holders didn't show up the second time around?
I don't buy that "the make-up show took up about half of the seats in the LSU Assembly Center", which would have meant 6500 empty seats in a 13000-seat arena (!), but even if there were 1000 people less, it would have quite noticeable.
About the Superdome:
Robert wrote:the southern states were really "Elvis country", could have potentially filled that place in 1977
and yet he could not sell out that 13000 seat arena...? :(

Robert

Post by Robert »

Scott Hayward wrote:
Robert wrote:the southern states were really "Elvis country", could have potentially filled that place in 1977
I understood the original Baton Rouge show was a sell out..

bethann

Post by bethann »

Robert wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:
Yes, the original show was sold out. The make-up show, however, was not full and dark drapes were hung to hide the empty seats.

University of Memphis

Robert

Post by Robert »

bethann wrote:
Robert wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:
Yes, the original show was sold out. The make-up show, however, was not full and dark drapes were hung to hide the empty seats.
Did people get new tickets?
If not, how could Arena management know so many people would not show up?

bethann

Post by bethann »

Robert wrote:
bethann wrote:
Robert wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:
The audience was told to use their ticket stub for the first show and present it when they rescheduled the cancelled show. The make-up concert was held during the week rather than on a weekend. I do not know if this would explain why not as many people showed up or if they just didn't go because they were angry for the first cancellation.

University of Memphis

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Robert wrote:
bethann wrote:
Robert wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:
Maybe some people returned the tickets. for a refund?