The Cause of Elvis' Decline and Death

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Re: The Cause of Elvis' Decline and Death

Post by elvisjock »

G.I. Blues wrote:I think the 350 lbs is a typing error (whenever it might have occured first). 250 lbs could be realistic.
First time it appeared was in the book, Down at the End of Lonely Street. The authors' source document may have been inaccurate. Still, it was repeated by Dr. Davis. I can't imagine where he got that from. Elvis was clearly not anywhere near 350 pounds.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

charro1971
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by charro1971 »

Interesting how serious many think Elvis' head injury in 1967 just before filming Clambake was... and yet this is hardly ever mentioned.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

rlj4ep
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thank you G.I. Blues for posting this. It was new material for me and I appreciate the information. While Elvis' appearance changed swiftly, I simply cannot imagine that he ever tipped the scale at 350 pounds. I saw him in June 1976 and May 1977 and he did not appear to be 350 pounds.

rlj

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by elvis-fan »

jurasic1968 wrote:The real decline began in 1971, when Elvis was diagnosed with secondary glaucoma. It's a serious disease.
No it isn't...

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Xaykev »

What is shocking is that people here (and therefore huge Elvis fans) actually believe that Elvis weight was 350 punds. :facep:

I miss you, Elvis!

roustabout2014
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by roustabout2014 »

Well in EIC his weight was around say 240-50? Can we agree on that? OK, so if EP did put weight on in the next 7 weeks then its possible he could have been up towards 300. you only have to look at Pittsburgh 76 to Feb 77 on tour to see how much he could change in a short space of time. But yeah, 350 is a bit of a stretch.

roustabout2014
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by roustabout2014 »

elvis-fan wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:The real decline began in 1971, when Elvis was diagnosed with secondary glaucoma. It's a serious disease.
No it isn't...
My Dad has it and its not pleasant. Can lead to blindness and he requires treatment daily.

dannyboy8377
Registered for: 10 years

Post by dannyboy8377 »

WOW!!! Very interesting article, thank you for sharing!

DEH
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by DEH »

Elvis was nowhere near 350 lbs. I guess some can't judge weight. Some of u would lose at the carnival. I have a friend who is about 280lbs and he is heavier than Elvis was and looks heavier. Elvis was only overweight around his stomach. he had a middle aged guy stomach. his weight has been blown out of proportion. anything else was bloat from medication that came and went.

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

Interesting theory but... I doubt it. For the RTS Brigade read: "Look everyone it wasn't Elvis' fault. Hoorah!"

Geoff

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

eligain
Registered for: 14 years

Post by eligain »

DEH wrote:Elvis was nowhere near 350 lbs. I guess some can't judge weight. Some of u would lose at the carnival. I have a friend who is about 280lbs and he is heavier than Elvis was and looks heavier. Elvis was only overweight around his stomach. he had a middle aged guy stomach. his weight has been blown out of proportion. anything else was bloat from medication that came and went.
I would say Elvis fluctuated between 210 and 235 in 77. A lot of that weight was bloat from water. The jumpsuits accentuated his weight and made him look fatter than he really was. The worst choice was wearing something tight and white. He smartly moved to dark 2 piece suits when he first gained weight. Why he didn't stick with that is still a mystery.

DGRYAN1977
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by DGRYAN1977 »

Multiple overdoses?
I guess I haven't read the correct books.

Can someone shed some light on these for me?

Thank you

Don

rlj4ep
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I wonder if we all took mental health issues seriously if there would be such caustic words against a man who was obviously "sick" --- mental health illness is crippling, and if left untreated, will disable a person and eventually destroy them---just like any other "disease" /// Yet no one criticizes (and shouldn't criticize) those with various kinds of diseases.... yet it seems to be almost a joyful sport to constantly criticize and condemn Elvis in those later years---and that coming from those who claim to be his loyal fans. I'm not talking about honestly reporting the truth or the reality of 1976, 1977, and probably many years before. Just the unkind, seemingly uncaring comments which would be hurtful to Elvis if he were to read them.

I wish Elvis had taken better care of himself and received treatment from respectable persons in the medical community..., while not excusing away his responsibility in supervising his health, much wasn't known back then, and then you factor in how deceiving mental issues are with those he surrounded himself with, it's a real wonder he didn't leave us sooner. While I know the "truth" and the "reality," and will not explain away those later years, yet I am moved with sadness and compassion for him, just like I am anyone suffering from mental illness.

rlj

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by elvisjock »

rlj4ep wrote:I wonder if we all took mental health issues seriously if there would be such caustic words against a man who was obviously "sick" --- mental health illness is crippling, and if left untreated, will disable a person and eventually destroy them---just like any other "disease" /// Yet no one criticizes (and shouldn't criticize) those with various kinds of diseases.... yet it seems to be almost a joyful sport to constantly criticize and condemn Elvis in those later years---and that coming from those who claim to be his loyal fans. I'm not talking about honestly reporting the truth or the reality of 1976, 1977, and probably many years before. Just the unkind, seemingly uncaring comments which would be hurtful to Elvis if he were to read them.

I wish Elvis had taken better care of himself and received treatment from respectable persons in the medical community..., while not excusing away his responsibility in supervising his health, much wasn't known back then, and then you factor in how deceiving mental issues are with those he surrounded himself with, it's a real wonder he didn't leave us sooner. While I know the "truth" and the "reality," and will not explain away those later years, yet I am moved with sadness and compassion for him, just like I am anyone suffering from mental illness.

Amen.
rlj

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Joe Car »

elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I wonder if we all took mental health issues seriously if there would be such caustic words against a man who was obviously "sick" --- mental health illness is crippling, and if left untreated, will disable a person and eventually destroy them---just like any other "disease" /// Yet no one criticizes (and shouldn't criticize) those with various kinds of diseases.... yet it seems to be almost a joyful sport to constantly criticize and condemn Elvis in those later years---and that coming from those who claim to be his loyal fans. I'm not talking about honestly reporting the truth or the reality of 1976, 1977, and probably many years before. Just the unkind, seemingly uncaring comments which would be hurtful to Elvis if he were to read them.

Amen.
rlj
Well said!!

memphismemories
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by memphismemories »

elvis-fan wrote:
No it isn't...
Yes it is , it can also lead to macular ( detached retna )

memphismemories

Xaykev wrote:What is shocking is that people here (and therefore huge Elvis fans) actually believe that Elvis weight was 350 punds. :facep:
Not Me

memphismemories

Joe Car wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

Amen.
rlj
Well said!!
Agee & depression is one of many forms of mentall illness . with that said i have a question
I have the DVD & Book by Charlie Hodge , who tells Dr Nick came out and told Vernon and Charlie Elvis had Bone Cancer and thats why he was so sore and achy all the time. I do know Cancer can bloat you ,But my question is has anyone heard of the Bone Cancer before in Elvis ?

vbgt
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by vbgt »

SteamrollerBlues on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 pm wrote:Certainly an in depth report, very interesting. However, I do not believe Elvis weighed 350 pounds at the time of his death, but I guess we'll truly never know for sure. I'd rather keep the 250 lb. number that I read.
No way he was 350 lb.s at anytime in his life. That's huge and Elvis, while overweight was never that big.

vbgt
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by vbgt »

https://cdn.ruled.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/before-243x300.png

This guy weighed 350 lb.s and he's 6'4' tall. He still looks bigger than Elvis at his worst. Imagine if he were 4' shorter and weighed the same.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by BrianTCB »

Aren't we neglecting the obvious question?

1. Why has the dentist not been prosecuted or at least questioned extensively under oath for wrongful death due to codeine toxicity?
2. He claims that he never gave Elvis anything on August 15, 1977. I'm not so sure this is true.
From the interview:

Q : Did Elvis still not take anesthetics that night?
A : No, it was just a routine visit, a cleaning and a check up, that was all.
https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview-lester-hoffman.shtml

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by fn2drive »

He was a recidivist drug addict addicted to morphin, heroin and pills of all varieties. Simple- get clean or get dead. Las Vegas began the slide in ernest and when his wife left him for another man -a real man in Elvis mind- his fear, loathing and self disgust that she would share all his fetishes and sexual piccadillos catapulted him to a place in which the only relief was found in an opioid blissful haze. The man created the myth and the myth killed the man.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

brian
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by brian »

BrianTCB on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:00 pm wrote:Aren't we neglecting the obvious question?

1. Why has the dentist not been prosecuted or at least questioned extensively under oath for wrongful death due to codeine toxicity?
2. He claims that he never gave Elvis anything on August 15, 1977. I'm not so sure this is true.
He didn't have anything to do with Elvis' death and there was no evidence. You'll notice that there weren't any doctors that got into trouble over Elvis' death. Dr. Nick had his license suspended for three months for over prescribing pills for Elvis and a lot of other patients but he got it back. He lost his license years later for continuing to over prescribe pills for patients. The other doctors that were giving pills to Elvis didn't get in any kind of trouble as far as I know. Dr.Nick was investigated because he was Elvis' primary doctor. He got a slap on the wrist.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

fn2drive on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 pm wrote:He was a recidivist drug addict addicted to morphin, heroin and pills of all varieties. Simple- get clean or get dead. Las Vegas began the slide in ernest and when his wife left him for another man -a real man in Elvis mind- his fear, loathing and self disgust that she would share all his fetishes and sexual piccadillos catapulted him to a place in which the only relief was found in an opioid blissful haze. The man created the myth and the myth killed the man.
smt136

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by fn2drive »

elvis-fan on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:21 am wrote:
fn2drive on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 pm wrote:He was a recidivist drug addict addicted to morphin, heroin and pills of all varieties. Simple- get clean or get dead. Las Vegas began the slide in ernest and when his wife left him for another man -a real man in Elvis mind- his fear, loathing and self disgust that she would share all his fetishes and sexual piccadillos catapulted him to a place in which the only relief was found in an opioid blissful haze. The man created the myth and the myth killed the man.
smt136

I stand corrected. He died because he was so kind that he could no longer carry the weight of the world on his soldiers. His heart was just that big.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward