More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Guitar Man - The Sessions 1967-68 New FTD Set. Summer 2024

Post by vinelvis »

minkahed wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:54 am
I finally have my set, but it’s been sealed for a couple of weeks, as I just haven’t had the time to dig in.

I will say that I really do like the idea of having the overdubbed masters at the end of each song, right after the undubbed master. Really nice touch.

I hope FTD continues down that route, especially with the 1970’s sessions. It will be quite interesting how they will approach, say, the Stax sessions, either collectively or individually, as per the albums. Time will tell.
If they want to do the big sessions from 69-77 they have to do a mammoth box like the 1969 live box. I personally hope they do that. But I think they maybe gonna split the Stax sessions into July and December. I don't think they're gonna reissue the American sound, Nashville, or second Nashville sessions since they've all been recently released. I would love to have them complete however. I would also love to have the Jungle Room sessions all in one place. I've always regretted not buying the Welcome to the Jungle CDs when they came out.

FRENCHGUY
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by FRENCHGUY »

LesterB wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:41 pm
There is a couple of seconds where Elvis sings one line of The Rolling Stones ‘It’s All Over Now’!

Plus all the swearing is intact except the Prisoner Song.
I can't find that one line of It's All Over Now. Could you please indicate at which moment Elvis sings it ?
Thank you very much. Guy

king77
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by king77 »

At the End of Take 11 U. S. Male

FRENCHGUY
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by FRENCHGUY »

king77 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:27 pm
At the End of Take 11 U. S. Male
Thanks, much appreciated !

In the early sixties, Elvis at his best and on the top of the world.

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by ORION »

Absolutely worth the wait. I am sure that many will groan and dislike the fact that the tapes have been "edited", and I can fully understand that point of view. Although I really don't believe that we've ever had a "full run" of the tapes issued on any of these "Sessions" releases. If we have, please feel free to correct me. While I enjoy hearing Elvis' interplay with the musicians and even the engineer or producer on theses sets, what I enjoy is hearing the songs take shape from rehearsal (if recorded) to the undubbed Master - which this set does in amazing sound. Ernst has done an superb job on the liners and the audio is top notch. It took me a while to get through due to the fact that my wife and I are building, but now that I've finished it, I look forward to going through the set a second time.

As far as Session sets, I can't help but wonder what's next. I would have guessed "Spinout", but since the LP has just been announced by FTD, I doubt it. It seems the vinyl from FTD is issued after a Sessions set has been released. Then again, my mind these days isn't fully on Elvis and his music. Maybe when the dust (literally!!!) settles it will be.

Fantastic release - edits and all.

elvisfan51
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by elvisfan51 »

ORION wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:30 pm
Absolutely worth the wait. I am sure that many will groan and dislike the fact that the tapes have been "edited", and I can fully understand that point of view. Although I really don't believe that we've ever had a "full run" of the tapes issued on any of these "Sessions" releases. If we have, please feel free to correct me. While I enjoy hearing Elvis' interplay with the musicians and even the engineer or producer on theses sets, what I enjoy is hearing the songs take shape from rehearsal (if recorded) to the undubbed Master - which this set does in amazing sound. Ernst has done an superb job on the liners and the audio is top notch. It took me a while to get through due to the fact that my wife and I are building, but now that I've finished it, I look forward to going through the set a second time.

As far as Session sets, I can't help but wonder what's next. I would have guessed "Spinout", but since the LP has just been announced by FTD, I doubt it. It seems the vinyl from FTD is issued after a Sessions set has been released. Then again, my mind these days isn't fully on Elvis and his music. Maybe when the dust (literally!!!) settles it will be.

The three 1965 movie soundtrack sessions (Harum Scarum, Frankie & Johnny, Paradise Hawaiian Style) should be released before Spinout.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

elvisfan51 wrote:
ORION wrote:

The three 1965 movie soundtrack sessions (Harum Scarum, Frankie & Johnny, Paradise Hawaiian Style) should be released before Spinout.
These will be a difficult listen when they appear.
Some of the absolute worst music he ever recorded.

Always Elvis
Anthony

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisfan51 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:36 pm

I don't believe even Ernst Jørgensen can find a justification to unleash -- for example -- 38 takes of "Shake That Tambourine" or 16 of "Golden Coins" on an FTD set. We have no idea if complete reels remain, either.

But the bottom line is there's no artistry to be found on such terrible material, sung without conviction or care.

1965 was a very bad session year for Elvis. All soundtracks. All pretty much garbage.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisfan51 wrote:

I don't believe even Ernst Jørgensen can find a justification to unleash -- for example -- 38 takes of "Shake That Tambourine" or 16 of "Golden Coins" on an FTD set. We have no idea if complete reels remain, either.

But the bottom line is there's no artistry to be found on such terrible material, sung without conviction or care.

1965 was a very bad session year for Elvis. All soundtracks. All pretty much garbage.
Agree.

If the tapes are mostly complete I think we’ll see soundtrack session sets for Flaming Star, IHATWF, Girl Happy, Spinout, Easy Come Easy Go and Clambake. The 36 takes of Do Not Disturb might put me to sleep! Keep in mind most of what hasn’t been released are incomplete takes/FS.

Even before that I think there will be an audio only release of the 1972 book/cd combo and then a book/CD combo for GI Blues that puts the session in order.

There is still the March 1972 Burning Love sessions. If those tapes are complete there is only enough music to fill one cd. The question becomes what do you pair it with?

Always Elvis
Anthony

elvisfan51

Post by elvisfan51 »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:12 pm
elvisfan51 wrote:
ORION wrote:

But you probably listen to those crappy 1976-1977 soundboards.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

elvisfan51 wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
elvisfan51 wrote:
ORION wrote:

Not really, I haven’t listened to a 1976-1977 show in a while. His performances are so poor sometimes it’s a sad listen. Particularly when he had performed the same songs so much better just a year or two before.

The problem with the concerts isn’t the material, but Elvis’ performance of said material.

The 1965 soundtrack session recordings (HS, F&J, PHS) suffer because the material is so weak. Elvis’s nondescript, perfunctory performances is a reflection of the material. The exact opposite to the problem with the 1976-77 concerts.

Always Elvis
Anthony

rollinson1

Post by rollinson1 »

Guitar Man - The '67'68 Sessions Folder 2.jpg
A fantastic Sunday morning listening to this release again. A joy from start to finish. So much to enjoy and just love to hear everything coming together on each take from start to finish, even the lesser material.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ELVIS PRESLEY - THE MOST UNDERRATED, UNDERUSED, WASTED TALENT OF ALL TIME

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by ORION »

There is still the March 1972 Burning Love sessions. If those tapes are complete there is only enough music to fill one cd. The question becomes what do you pair it with?

I think the 1972 "Hollywood" sessions should/could be combined with the 1975 Hollywood Sessions that yielded the "Elvis - Today" album. Either this could make a nice FTD Sessions set or it could even be the centerpiece of Elvis week in 2025 with the theme being "Elvis Goes Hollywood" and Sony/Legacy combines those two Sessions into a nice country/rock set for mainstream release. Obviously, next year will also be the 50th anniversary of 'Today' sessions, so something should be done with that material before it goes into PD.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years

Post by jurasic1968 »

Right.

Gary Crawford
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Gary Crawford »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:39 pm
elvisfan51 wrote:

I must admit that as a fan of some 47 years, that I never owned the 1965 movie soundtracks not on vinyl, tape or CD until about the 45 year mark! I only eventually picked them up on FTD after the fire at the warehouse 2 years ago. I decided to buy all the FTD ones that I didn't have, the good, the bad and the ugly. Have I Iistened to them yet? (PHS, HS & F&J). No. As a kid I watched the movies having taped them off the TV on betamax (PHS & F&J) and never saw them as important to have on LP. Have a soft spot for hard luck, please don't stop loving me, drums of the island and so close yet so far from the 65 soundtracks. However it is one of those comparative things where if you like a particular artist enough you end up finding yourself celebrating the listenable tracks from a collection of otherwise unlistenable tracks. This should never have been the case for an artist of Elvis's caliber. So as a teenager with limited money in 1986 (for example) I was happy to spend what money I did have on Paul Simon's Graceland or a year later Springsteen's Tunnel of Love album as opposed to Elvis at this absolute worst.

Vegas Nights

elvisfan51

Post by elvisfan51 »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:45 am
elvisfan51 wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
elvisfan51 wrote:
ORION wrote:

Not really, I haven’t listened to a 1976-1977 show in a while. His performances are so poor sometimes it’s a sad listen. Particularly when he had performed the same songs so much better just a year or two before.

The problem with the concerts isn’t the material, but Elvis’ performance of said material.

The 1965 soundtrack session recordings (HS, F&J, PHS) suffer because the material is so weak. Elvis’s nondescript, perfunctory performances is a reflection of the material. The exact opposite to the problem with the 1976-77 concerts.
Not a damn thing wrong with Elvis singing the 1965 movie soundtracks and nothing detrimental in his performance of said material. weak or otherwise. It is his 1966/1967 soundtracks( Double Trouble/ Clambake/ Spinout/ Speedway) which in my opinion would be a difficult listen!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Right.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

elvisfan51 wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:45 am
elvisfan51 wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
elvisfan51 wrote:
ORION wrote:

Not a damn thing wrong with Elvis singing the 1965 movie soundtracks and nothing detrimental in his performance of said material. weak or otherwise. It is his 1966/1967 soundtracks( Double Trouble/ Clambake/ Spinout/ Speedway) which in my opinion would be a difficult listen!
You prefer Shake That Tambourine, Hey Little Girl, Golden Coins, Datin, house of sand , Queenie Wahine’s Papaya over Let Yourself Go, You Don’t Know Me, Big Boss Man, Guitar Man, Stop Look and Listen, Tomorrow is a Long Time and I’ll Remember You?

Always Elvis
Anthony

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

No way for me.