More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by luckyjackson1 »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:50 pm
I am listening on the Amazon streaming platform.

I've noticed some of the tracks have overdubs - female voices, strings, etc.

Are these on the actual CD? Did the wrong versions get uploaded to the Amazon streaming?

So far, tracks that sound like the overdubbed masters with strings and voices - In The Ghetto, Kentucky Rain, From A Jack To A King, Without Love, You'll Think of Me, True Love Travels On A Gravel Road, It Keeps Right on A Hurtin'.

"Movin' On" has horns and voices. :shock:

Do these have the backing voices, strings, etc. on the actual CD or on other streaming platforms?

Thanks,
RKS
And an distorted bass.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:36 pm
Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:24 pm
That's all Right on the new set is the RCA single master but slightly compressed.
I doubt that...

I've checked the waveforms, the RCA single runs slightly faster than the Sun single and the version on the new set matches the RCA single master. However, I think it could be a fresh transfer because when lined up to the RCA single master on A Boy From Tupelo it's out of sync, the other tracks line up without any issues. Basically every track is a straight copy of the A Boy From Tupelo masters bar That's All Right.

Top is the new set.
Middle is the RCA single from A Boy From Tupelo.
Bottom is the Sun single from A Boy From Tupelo.
Screenshot 2024-08-09 124151.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elvis2000 on Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:55 pm
Its interesting to hear he'll have to go, the mix is great and Elvis is nicely blended with the backing vocals.. i didn't expect to hear J.D. say "Yeah.." after the song is over.
I think this was already present on "The Jungle Room Sessions" FTD way back in 2000 (if I am not mistaken). Did send shivers down my spine back then :D

@Elvis2000 Yes, I was thinking the same, that they did a new transfer of it. Also on some sources it says "Original Single Version".

For a little company
There's always me

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

RyanD wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:20 pm
The 1969 disc is so poor that I am stunned it even made it out the door. I don't think anyone even listened to it before the thing went into production. There are errors on it all over the place. It's not all bad, but where it's bad it is glaring.

There's a very noticeable splicing error on "Any Day Now" around the 2:25 mark that sounds like when my CD player would skip in my car back in the 90s. You'll hear it right away. "Don't Cry Daddy" is horrendous, easily the worst version ever released with how they have Elvis' harmony overdubs in one channel, creating a weird echo effect (strange choice for a set that had been advertised as without overdubs). There's also instruments missing from it.

Additionally there are alignment issues with some of the instrument tracks in the mix, including Reggie Young's guitar on "Suspicious Minds." There are words missing from Elvis' vocal on "The Fair Is Moving On." The mix on "Long Black Limosuine" is poor and has alignment issues. Oof. There's more but I'll stop there.

The other discs are fine for the most part (1974 issues aside), but I'm stunned people would be praising the '69 stuff. It's a total mess. LIke "we need to recall this disc" kind of a mess.
Thank you, Ryan. I fully agree with you.

For a little company
There's always me

kevanbudd
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by kevanbudd »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:48 pm
luckyjackson1 wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
That's all Right on the new set is the RCA single master but slightly compressed.
I doubt that...

I've checked the waveforms, the RCA single runs slightly faster than the Sun single and the version on the new set matches the RCA single master. However, I think it could be a fresh transfer because when lined up to the RCA single master on A Boy From Tupelo it's out of sync, the other tracks line up without any issues. Basically every track is a straight copy of the A Boy From Tupelo masters bar That's All Right.

Top is the new set.
Image.
Sams cutting lath ran around 1% fast on the 45 Sun single, making it play around 1% slow on normal playback.
But I don't have the set yet so I can't do a serious compare.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:49 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:55 pm
Its interesting to hear he'll have to go, the mix is great and Elvis is nicely blended with the backing vocals.. i didn't expect to hear J.D. say "Yeah.." after the song is over.
I think this was already present on "The Jungle Room Sessions" FTD way back in 2000 (if I am not mistaken). Did send shivers down my spine back then :D

@Elvis2000 Yes, I was thinking the same, that they did a new transfer of it. Also on some sources it says "Original Single Version".
It would make sense for them to do a fresh transfer considering it's the most important track in his career but they probably mixed up the Sun and RCA singles somehow.

If people want a more accurate representation of the Sun material, take disc one of the new set, throw it away, take disc one from A Boy From Tupelo and put it in the new set.

jetblack
Registered for: 20 years

Post by jetblack »

Two of my favourites:-

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

kevanbudd

Post by kevanbudd »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:48 pm
luckyjackson1 wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
I doubt that...

Top is the new set.
Image.

Two versions of Memphis box being sold.

It seems there are two versions of the set being sold,

1. the CD set and
2. the download set from Qobuz(which may explain some of the Youtube versions?

The Qobuz set uses the 'That's all right' RCA 50s box reverb master
and the 'For LP fans only' compressed reverb copy for 'Mystery train'.

The CD set uses 'The boy from Tupelo' versions on all tracks.

Special thanks to --

Elvis2000
Claus
John from Phoenix

what a headache!

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Is the only place to hear the dry That's All Right on CD the Tupelo box?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

londonflash wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:25 pm
It's on that and the For LP Fans Only FTD.

AndyDumas
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by AndyDumas »

The Last Farewell... One of the docs Favourites!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

londonflash wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:25 pm
Unless you have an original SUN single or 78...

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

jetblack wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:06 pm

Andy
OK why do I hear 2 Elvis' singing on Don't Cry Daddy??? I thought it was an error on Spotify but it's not...

That's not good... I get the harmony part but why leave the two vocals in during the verses? Sounds bizarre...

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

elvis-fan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:08 pm
jetblack wrote:

Andy
OK why do I hear 2 Elvis' singing on Don't Cry Daddy??? I thought it was an error on Spotify but it's not...

That's not good... I get the harmony part but why leave the two vocals in during the verses? Sounds bizarre...
Sorry I didn't see a note about this posted here earlier... :oops:

Harty
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Harty »

There are such mistakes on this set. It is a shame. Have you heard for an example It keeps right on a hurtin' ? Why is the piano mixed to the right channel ? The piano is normally at the left channel. In other songs it is correct.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

While the out-of-sync guitar in 'Suspicious Minds' is a technical mistake, the other changes in the remix are creative choices. Ultimately, whether you like it or not comes down to personal taste.

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Harty

Post by Harty »

When mixing, there are rules for the arrangement of the musical instruments. It also influences the listening experience. It's more about how the instruments are used in the mix. Rather superficially, rather partially in the background, the stereo panorama is also a factor. The use of reverb, should it be discreet? How should Elvis' voice be placed? But I don't consider a change or redistribution of the instruments to be creative freedom. That can be a mess.

Harty

Post by Harty »

And the creative choice destroys the original music setup.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I couldn't wait, so I downloaded the set from I-Tunes. Listening to the Amercian set right now. And I'm not so depressed as I was while reading the posts in here! It's remixed!! Like it or not! My fear was Don't Cry Daddy. Listening through the phones, It somehow gave an impression of Elvis' singing of the song, in harmony with himself. Nothing else! But, I actually found it very special, and not that out of place at all! My greatest concern with the set was the choice of songs to be included. So far, I'll leave that one behind 'till I've heard it all! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

bajo

Post by bajo »

elvis-fan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:08 pm
jetblack wrote:

Andy

Give it another try, on headphones. Don't be so preoccupied! It's actually not that bad at all! It's only different! :smt020

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

I finally got a chance to listen to the whole set from start to finish. I find the box set rather uneven overall. As Kevan pointed out, they went back to more older versions for the SUN recordings. I had hoped that at least the first acetate demo from 1953 would be a new direct transfer from the Jack White record, but it’s the same over-processed version used on "A Boy From Tupelo." Even the '90s versions of these two acetates sound better.

The Memphis '69 mixes are generally good. I was expecting a more sparse, bare sound, but I was pleasantly surprised. However, "Don't Cry Daddy" sounds off, both with and without headphones. Thankfully, we still have the original masters.

The Stax sessions (July & December, 1973) sound decent, but some tracks feel overly busy. As someone mentioned earlier, it seems like everything on the tape was set to the same volume. "Talk About The Good Times" left me puzzled—where is the chorus? I know there were some later vocal overdubs, but according to the "Good Times" FTD, there were background vocals present that day. This isn't "Our Memories Of Elvis"!

The 1974 Memphis concert sounds good, but something still feels off. I was hoping for a mix closer to the "Platinum" remix of "Steamroller Blues" or at least similar to the original mix, without the audience overdubs. Still, it's an improvement over the previous digital-era incarnations.

The highlight of the set, and worth the price alone, is the fifth CD (Jungle Room Sessions). I really enjoyed it, and this time Matt Ross-Spang avoided using excessive reverb on Elvis' vocals.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Igotstung
Registered for: 9 months

Post by Igotstung »

I am halfway through, and here is my non - audiophile reaction. Will post the second half once I have finished( not that anyone is waiting for it, but, ah well).

The highlight overall is the clarity, level and grain of vocals- to these ears saturated on Elvis, his vocals sparkle through. That, to me, is a highlight. This set shines a light on what a magnificent vocalist Elvis was: the texture of the voice, the subtle intonations, the emotional delivery, the drama in the phrasing is brought forth in the mix.
Overall, the sound pops and the clarity is superb.

I went back and forth on mainstream releases: American Sound 1969, Boy From Tupelo, and Elvis at Stax, for comparison. The sound here is superior. Even on normal phone/ sound system listening.

The Sun sessions have a judicious reverb, ( detailed in some of the posts here) and again, the vocals pop, which makes this a defacto version for me. Yes, even over BFT. And can I say, Elvis' Sun sessions are timeless. Oh what a wonderful, wonderful music. How lucky are we that it exists!!

The American Studio sessions are a mixed bag. Which is a disappointment, because for his legacy, these are the second most important sessions as far as this set is concerned.

Don't Cry Daddy: Elvis Harmony is an interesting choice, but it sounds cluttered and placement is distracting.
Suspicious Minds: the Guitar delay is quite frustrating, as it is so central to the song. The vocal pop is not striking enough. This track is a biggest dampener so far for me. It is the second disc and the most well known track, so really, why and how?
Power of My Love: Overwhelming Harmonica is a bizarre choice, subduing the erotic tone of the song. Very disappointing.
In The Ghetto is hauntingly beautiful and Stranger in My Hometown rocks. Any Day Now ( one of my altime favourites) mix is unique. These tracks are a winner for me. They may not replace the originals, but I am happy that they are there.

The FEIN and BIM are great to savour in their original avatar, perfect blend of great production and transcendental vocals. If pushed however, the American Sound 69 a far richer aural experience IMO.

The Stax sessions ( I am halfway through) have a great sound. The funky, retro feel is enhanced with prominent bass and Organ. I prefer this version to Elvis At Stax, which was my go to version before for these tracks ( the overdubs on the master recordings are meh at best).

Promised Land rocks and how. I always loved this recording and this version thrills like no other.
If you Talk in Your Sleep smokes with prominence given to Organ fillers. Love it.
Shocked at My Boy- the song is still very, very, very cringe, but Elvis vocals sound stronger in this mix. Shockingly, I am now a fan of Spanish Eyes and Find Out What's Happening. His vocals are very moving here. Matt Ross Spang, what are you doing??

One puzzling choice is why are there back up vocals in most of the Stax Sessions, but not in Talk About Good Times?

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of listening.

I am happy that we are still getting Elvis music reinterpreted!! How cool is that?? 😘
Last edited by Igotstung on Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bajo

Post by bajo »

bajo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:18 pm
I couldn't wait, so I downloaded the set from I-Tunes. Listening to the Amercian set right now. And I'm not so depressed as I was while reading the posts in here! It's remixed!! Like it or not! My fear was Don't Cry Daddy. Listening through the phones, It somehow gave an impression of Elvis' singing of the song, in harmony with himself. Nothing else! But, I actually found it very special, and not that out of place at all! My greatest concern with the set was the choice of songs to be included. So far, I'll leave that one behind 'till I've heard it all! :smt020
I'm now closing in on the American set of this. It was actually much better than I feared! But, why Hey Jude is included is beyond me. And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind is a great Elvis cover! Should have been in there. That said: Hey Jude is one of my least favourite Beatles songs ever!! Never liked it, never will.....

Rangerdj
Registered for: 3 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by Rangerdj »

I am only able to listen to this set on Apple Music until the cds arrive. But I am thoroughly enjoying the sound of these sessions as alternatives. I wonder what E would think of them.

steve in sc4
Registered for: 9 months

Post by steve in sc4 »

Well mine is arriving tomorrow so since it is such a horrible/terrible release I guess I will just turn it around and return it. 🤷🏼‍♂️