Suspicious Minds in Aloha

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: Suspicious Minds in Aloha

Post by Pete Dube »

FrankieRider2 wrote:I always liked the band in Aloha...I thought they pretty much knocked it out of the park that show.

As for Elvis, I've always been at odds as to what was wrong during that show. SM would have been more passable had it been finished off strongly, karate or no. The ending of the rehearsal show version was much better. And, yes, to the casual fan who may have been watching it was probably fine. For those who had witnessed earlier versions, it was a definite downer.
Back in the late 80's I watched Aloha with a musician friend of mine who wasn't really an Elvis fan. He liked Suspicious Minds, particularly when Elvis started doing the lasso movements with the multi-colored lights flashing.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I think for the most part, the Aloha Show was something special since it went out live. There were no room or time to interact or fool around. I think Elvis was put off by the strict direction of the whole event. He concentrated more with doing the scheduled timing of the show than the singing itself. But, he fooled me the first time I saw the show, I was simply stunned by the show. But, as mentioned, the album never set me on fire like In Person, On Stage and MSG which was what we had up until then! I actually hold the Memphis show the year after higher as a listening pleasure. Still, I enjoy watching Aloha in between! :)

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

stevelecher wrote: I just don't understand how anyone here can listen to Suspicious Minds and think it's OK, a bit toned down, fine or adequate. He sings it in his most nasal, uninterested tone and he couldn't show it less respect. No non-fan watches it and thinks it's pretty good. MSG is lazy and this is abysmal.
See my previous post regarding the reaction of a non-fan. And I think the MSG renditions of SM have merit in that Elvis sings with a kind of spunky energy (which was missing from the Aloha version).
stevelecher wrote: I usually like fn2drive's posts, but his amazement that Elvis did a 50 minute live concert without lip synching (remarkable) seems like an over the top appraisal. Any real pro should be able to do his usual concert on TV. It would have been much more remarkable had Elvis done his hit songs with the same power and professionalism he exhibited on the big ballad songs. Johnny B. Goode should have sounded as powerful here as it did on In Person.
Steve, while I think Johnny B. Goode as well as several of the other Aloha rockers could've been better if Elvis had applied himself a bit more vocally, I don't think he would've matched his efforts of 69-70. Somewhere in the spring of 1971 Elvis' voice underwent yet another change, and that hard-edged, robust, forceful vocal sound he had in 69-70 was gone. Even if he was straight as an arrow in 71-73 I don't think he could've conjured that sound up again.

bajo

Post by bajo »

The only two "rockers" that came off with some punch was Burning Love, even though not top notch, and surprisingly A Big Hunk O' Love where his voice became a bit grittier than on Johnny B and Blue Suede Shoes. I wish he never had used Hound Dog on stage after 1969! :)

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

ICanHelp
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by ICanHelp »

bajo wrote:The only two "rockers" that came off with some punch was Burning Love, even though not top notch, and surprisingly A Big Hunk O' Love where his voice became a bit grittier than on Johnny B and Blue Suede Shoes. I wish he never had used Hound Dog on stage after 1969! :)
Elvis actually put some added effort into Hound Dog during many of the 1975 shows. I like the gritty and echoed "You Aiiiiiinnnnt...." I was listening last night to the faux concert on the reissued Today CD and Hound Dog starts off very strong but unfortunately turns mumbly.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

Wiebe wrote:Aloha is my wife's favorite show because he doesn't fool around and skips the lame jokes. I have a double feeling about Aloha. Sometimes I think it was pretty good and sometimes I think it's amateurish like a bad karaoke evening. He was definitely very nervous and it wasn't helping that he had to read a lot of lyrics from those big cue boards. I always wonder whether the sound on stage was too comfortable/loud and left him a bit paralyzed by the intensity of the sound which gave him a false sense of the input he gave. He sang really weird and nasal at times nothing compared to the other live albums. Something is the first song where you think, why isn't he just singing? SM is alright because the band's grooving. He actually sings the line 'you can see the tears are real I'm crying' real good because he had to laugh right before, but then he goes back into Aloha mumble mode. The oldies are sung with a wink, but nevertheless well sung with intensity. I even like Love Me with the mic on chest thing.
The best sung line in many post-70 versions of SM was frequently "I hope this suit don't tear up baby"

Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Squire Smart »

bajo wrote: Then again the recordings of the Aloha show never really takes off. There's something dull over the entire album. It was never one of my fav live albums. But, I really enjoy the show to watch and listen to! :)
Yes, it has always sounded 'woolly' to me, like it's passing through a thin layer of water and absorbing some of the energy or sound. Visually I don't think it helped having all the house lights up througout the performance either (which I think they were?). Doesn't quite set the mood.

Squire Smart

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

ICanHelp wrote:
bajo wrote:The only two "rockers" that came off with some punch was Burning Love, even though not top notch, and surprisingly A Big Hunk O' Love where his voice became a bit grittier than on Johnny B and Blue Suede Shoes. I wish he never had used Hound Dog on stage after 1969! :)
Elvis actually put some added effort into Hound Dog during many of the 1975 shows. I like the gritty and echoed "You Aiiiiiinnnnt...." I was listening last night to the faux concert on the reissued Today CD and Hound Dog starts off very strong but unfortunately turns mumbly.
There are also a few fine version in Feb 1970 where he also sings the high class verse.
However, only available on soso sounding cd-r....iirc

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

egilj
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by egilj »

Eggrert wrote:
Hobbes wrote:I think he saw Aloha partly as a way to showcase his transition from kids music to 'adult' music, which is why he put his all into the ballads and sang the rock and roll songs as throwaways.
Interesting theory, but I'm afraid I just can't buy it. If that was really his intention, he would have cut the "kids' music" from his setlist altogether after Aloha. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.
No, not necessarily. Because of all the expectations and demands, he probably went for, in his view, the happy medium.

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by stevelecher »

Pete Dube wrote:Somewhere in the spring of 1971 Elvis' voice underwent yet another change, and that hard-edged, robust, forceful vocal sound he had in 69-70 was gone. Even if he was straight as an arrow in 71-73 I don't think he could've conjured that sound up again.
Of course he could have, if he wanted to. He could have gotten a lot closer than this.

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Hobbes »

I've always enjoyed the version of Suspicious Minds from Portland in April 1973, but that's largely to do with the nice audience ambience that the tape recorder captures. The crowd was really excited that night.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

stevelecher wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Somewhere in the spring of 1971 Elvis' voice underwent yet another change, and that hard-edged, robust, forceful vocal sound he had in 69-70 was gone. Even if he was straight as an arrow in 71-73 I don't think he could've conjured that sound up again.
Of course he could have, if he wanted to. He could have gotten a lot closer than this.
Interesting point guys. We all know the raspy, rock voice seemed to appear out of nowhere in 1968 and then disappear forever in 1970. That leads me to think it arose from stylistic choices rather than physical vocal changes. Even when Elvis dried out and sounded great -- eg, December 73 and March 75 -- he never again sang with that same gutsy voice. Maybe it was just too hard on his throat. It sure sounded great while it was around, didn't it?

TINML

Post by TINML »

Hell I guess I'm the one guy that doesn't really care for the 69 versions of SM but I could listen to the version released on the TTWII 3CD boxset from the 8/12/70 midnight show featured in the box all day everyday.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ICanHelp wrote:
To be blunt, by any measure the 1975 renditions of "Hound Dog" are awful. The last live performance we have that captures the intensity of the multi-chart #1, game-changing 1956 single A-side is from Honolulu on 3-25-1961 (Sat). The arrangement of the landmark Leiber and Stoller song, starting with the TV special for NBC, is unquestionably akin to a speed derby, with little respect given to the original, powerhouse recording. The performances in 1968, 1969 and 1970 are acceptable only because Elvis' energy level is sky-high. After that, forget it.

Ciscoking wrote:There are also a few fine version in Feb 1970 where he also sings the high class verse.
However, only available on soso sounding cd-r....iirc
The rarely delivered "high-class" verse was issued from the RCA multi-tracks almost 12 years ago, on FTD's Polk Salad Annie.

Elvis Presley "Hound Dog" Polk Salad Annie (Follow That Dream, July 12, 2004)
Taped at the 2-15-1970 MS.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

He also did it on Feb 17, 1970 DS as available here on cd-r....

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

ICanHelp wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
Interesting point guys. We all know the raspy, rock voice seemed to appear out of nowhere in 1968 and then disappear forever in 1970. That leads me to think it arose from stylistic choices rather than physical vocal changes. Even when Elvis dried out and sounded great -- eg, December 73 and March 75 -- he never again sang with that same gutsy voice. Maybe it was just too hard on his throat. It sure sounded great while it was around, didn't it?
As a former singer I can say from personal experience that it is tough on the vocal chords to make that rough edged sound. But I think in Elvis' case it wasn't just a choice to not make that sound, but also a change in his voice which may have required more effort on his part to produce that sound, and which he felt more in his throat. After the spring of '71 his voice got deeper and, on the rockers, mellower (for lack of a better word) in the places where it used to be harder edged in 69-70. Just compare the '69 versions of My Babe to those of '72 to hear what I'm describing. But then again, he does use the rough-hewn voice in the opening line of I Can't Stop Loving You at the Aloha show.

I will say this: Whenever I listen to a '69 or early '70 show I'm amazed that Elvis was able to sing that hard for 2 hours a night for a month straight and not have blown his voice out!

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

r&b wrote:The general consensus here is that SM from Aloha is not very good. So as a someone who does not collect soundboards, or most concerts after 1970, my question is, is there a worse version out there from another show?
You're probably right about the "general consensus," but I was totally fine with it. Break it down all you want, but I dug it.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

The last time we heard that rough voice would be at the start of big hunk o love from Jan 26 1972

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

Pete Dube wrote:
stevelecher wrote: I just don't understand how anyone here can listen to Suspicious Minds and think it's OK, a bit toned down, fine or adequate. He sings it in his most nasal, uninterested tone and he couldn't show it less respect. No non-fan watches it and thinks it's pretty good. MSG is lazy and this is abysmal.
See my previous post regarding the reaction of a non-fan. And I think the MSG renditions of SM have merit in that Elvis sings with a kind of spunky energy (which was missing from the Aloha version).
stevelecher wrote: I usually like fn2drive's posts, but his amazement that Elvis did a 50 minute live concert without lip synching (remarkable) seems like an over the top appraisal. Any real pro should be able to do his usual concert on TV. It would have been much more remarkable had Elvis done his hit songs with the same power and professionalism he exhibited on the big ballad songs. Johnny B. Goode should have sounded as powerful here as it did on In Person.
Steve, while I think Johnny B. Goode as well as several of the other Aloha rockers could've been better if Elvis had applied himself a bit more vocally, I don't think he would've matched his efforts of 69-70. Somewhere in the spring of 1971 Elvis' voice underwent yet another change, and that hard-edged, robust, forceful vocal sound he had in 69-70 was gone. Even if he was straight as an arrow in 71-73 I don't think he could've conjured that sound up again.
Do you think he could have conjured up that voice when listening to Frankie And Johnny or PHS Soundtracks ? I think we got what Elvis wanted to give. I get the feeling it was like "Been there, Done that" which is a little sad. that said, i've grown much fonder of Aloha over the past few years, love the 40th anniversary DVD.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Johnny2523 wrote:The last time we heard that rough voice would be at the start of big hunk o love from Jan 26 1972
Don't forget the marvelous opening line of I Can't Stop Loving You at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night. That whole version still rocks.

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Hobbes wrote:I've always enjoyed the version of Suspicious Minds from Portland in April 1973, but that's largely to do with the nice audience ambience that the tape recorder captures. The crowd was really excited that night.
The 4/22/73 Phoenix show also had a nice version of Suspicious Minds, complete with an excellent karate ending.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

elvis-fan wrote:These wind-up threads are starting to annoy the $hit out of me... :evil:

Me, too.

As for SM in Aloha, I enjoyed it. I don't think it was a "throwaway" song by any means. Besides, he had to find a song that would fill the 60-minute time limit that they would have the satellite.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't enjoy the MSG performances of the song. :shock:

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by jurasic1968 »

He could find others: It's Now or Never, Little Sister, His Latest Flame, Devil in Disguise, Don't, Crying in the Chapel, Kentucky Rain.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by GERRY »

I wouldn't change it i really like the "barrage" type backing so different, yes Aloha SM performance is musically different. It is like majestic magic to me, perhaps a little operatic , a very enjoyable trip, the band are awesome and Elvis is truly magnificent.
I just love it and as i said, no change.
The most incredible thing is Elvis does not look dated or parodical and the band are awesome. ::rocks

P.s Love the backing voices too

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Fabbe »

JRtherealJR wrote:ALOHA FROM HAWAII was a triumph for Elvis and a world-first which also produced a number one album.

Whichever way you look at it, it's the jewel in the King's crown.

I've always loved this show, however as some people have noted Elvis seemed to be tamer / more controlled than usual and that perhaps there was less electricity in the air from the audience.

It seems to be there are a number of theories which have been put forward for this:

-The audience were told to stay in their seats
-Ballad-heavy set list
-House lights remained on
-Elvis was nervous at being on worldwide TV (I do not think this is the case- for example look at the nervous energy he showed in the '68 special)
-Elvis deliberately controlled himself so he would not make any mistakes
-Elvis had been on a strict diet and had low energy levels (I do not agree with this as he had always been on crash-diets before)
-5 "slow" songs in a row at the start of the concert: Something / Mountain / Steamroller / My Way / Love Me

I find it credible that Elvis was controlling himself more because he knew they only had 1 take to get everything right in front of the watching world. Elvis always thrived on nervous energy so I don't think it was a case of nerves I think it's a combination of the audience being told to sit still, Elvis controlling himself and the many ballads.

He should have ditched I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and What Now My Love and replaced then with other songs from his own catalogue. I get that he was told to sing different songs but there are hundreds he could have chosen from his own catalogue.

I've never understood all the love for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry from ALOHA. I would have rather have seen these 2 songs replaced with Don't Be Cruel and another of his classics. He should not have sung some obscurity like There's Always Me as has been suggested on here. He should have sung at least 1 more of his immortals.

Welcome To My World is a nice addition and is very welcome in Aloha. My Way is sensational and he immediately OWNS the song for all time. Steamroller again, is a very nice addition.

ALOHA was and is a wonderful success for the King and something that had never been done before. I never get tired of watching it and always seem to notice new things even now.

It was a sensational show and a big "event" for Elvis and all the fans and we're so lucky to have such a great gift from the King!
I too believe Aloha was a success - at the same time I think some songs could have (should have) sung with more commitment. Suspicious Minds is one of them because it was a recent success, contemporary (compared to the 50s songs) and the director set a specific special lights and camera angles. For the occasion I would have performed differently Can't help falling in love too.

I think he was tamer than usual because of how the format was set. But that I don't mind - it makes it different and introspective. Just my opinion.