Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by LesterB »

Just received the vinyl - haven’t opened it yet - selfishly may wait for others to report back first.

JUST FOR TODAY

dsiciliano
Registered for: 8 months
Mood:

Post by dsiciliano »

Sorry, in my opinion, releasing a mix of “Don’t cry Daddy” like this is embarrassing. It doesn’t even sound like the singing is “in tune”. Why, oh why all these unnecessary mixes?!? Is it like how mountain climbers justify a climb…. Because it’s there?!?

Save this stuff for FTD releases . To present mixes like this to the mainstream audiences, with literally half the instruments missing is ludicrous. After listening to the cuts on this release (excluding the mono sun stuff), I can say, many of the tracks just don’t work. A few of the ballads and some of the stax recordings do benefit from the “less is more” approach, but man, it’s like opening a bag of potato chips…. Most of it is air! It’s like a birthday cake with no frosting …not very appealing… need I go on?

I will say, that after, what 4 different mix releases, the ‘74 Memphis concert does sound real nice . I still stand by my opinion that it is one of the most energetic live performances of the 70’s, very underrated.

I just think the entire concept from the early Sun to the Den at Graceland is an odd box set release for those “not” a collector or die hard fan. Not sure how much of the “mainstream” is left for general projects other than “greatest hits” releases, but this one would not be my choice. These comments of course are just my thoughts and opinions. Let’s hear yours…. Without bashing others whom you may differ with.
Last edited by dsiciliano on Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

hli
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by hli »

dsiciliano wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:41 pm
Sorry, in my opinion, releasing a mix of “Don’t cry Daddy” like this is embarrassing. It doesn’t even sound like the singing is “in tune”. Why, oh why all these unnecessary mixes?!? Is it like how mountain climbers justify a climb…. Because it’s there?!?

Save this stuff for FTD releases . To present mixes like this to the mainstream audiences, with literally half the instruments missing is ludicrous. After listening to the cuts on this release (excluding the mono sun stuff), I can say, many of the tracks just don’t work. A few of the ballads and some of the stacks recordings do benefit from the “less is more” approach, but man, it’s like opening a bag of potato chips…. Most of it is air! It’s like a birthday cake with no frosting …not very appealing… need I go on?

I will say, that after, what 4 different mix releases, the ‘74 Memphis concert does sound real nice . I still stand by my opinion that it is one of the most energetic live performances of the 70’s, very underrated.

I just think the entire concept from the early Sun to the Den at Graceland is an odd box set release for those “not” a collector or die hard fan. Not sure how much of the “mainstream” is left for general projects other than “greatest hits” releases, but this one would not be my choice. These comments of course are just my thoughts and opinions. Let’s hear yours…. Without bashing others whom you may differ with.
The concept is actually Memphis but that doesn't make it a less odd choice.
Because of this concept i find the listening experience between for example disk 1 and 2 far from ideal.
The long time span between "It would t be the same.." and "in the Ghetto" doesn't work for me. The flow is just not there. This concept excludes a very important and recognizable part of Elvis voice wich gives me a very uncomfortable feeling while listening to this set as a whole, simply because something so familiar is missing.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

the 76 masters are my favourite on this set, they sound absolutely amazing and for the most part so does Elvis!.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Rangerdj
Registered for: 3 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by Rangerdj »

Anyone try to play this on Amazon music? Most of disc one and parts of the others aren’t available. The set is complete on the others.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

dsiciliano wrote:

Save this stuff for FTD releases . To present mixes like this to the mainstream audiences, with literally half the instruments missing is ludicrous. After listening to the cuts on this release (excluding the mono sun stuff), I can say, many of the tracks just don’t work. A few of the ballads and some of the stacks recordings do benefit from the “less is more” approach, but man, it’s like opening a bag of potato chips…. Most of it is air! It’s like a birthday cake with no frosting …not very appealing… need I go on?
Very much agree. :smt045
(Even if it were on FTD, I wouldn't buy it.)

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

Kylan
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by Kylan »

Rangerdj wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:11 am
Anyone try to play this on Amazon music? Most of disc one and parts of the others aren’t available. The set is complete on the others.
It’s all working in my Amazon music. An odd release for sure! The 76 stuff sounds amazing tho!

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Rangerdj
Registered for: 3 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by Rangerdj »

I’m baffled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

I really enjoyed Matt Ross-Spang's work and this new boxed set is no exception. Everything sounds bright, crispy and clear. Of course a remix is based on individual preferences and therefore not embraced by each and everyone. In most cases the "less is more" principle works very well, but of course there are certain songs that I like better with the overdubs. The much discussed "Don't Cry Daddy" is a bold remix, obviously Matt tried to do something vastly different. It's interesting, but not my cup of tea. In general this is a fine release, I like it very much.

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Rockin_John »

dsiciliano wrote:

Save this stuff for FTD releases . To present mixes like this to the mainstream audiences, with literally half the instruments missing is ludicrous. After listening to the cuts on this release (excluding the mono sun stuff), I can say, many of the tracks just don’t work. A few of the ballads and some of the stax recordings do benefit from the “less is more” approach, but man, it’s like opening a bag of potato chips…. Most of it is air! It’s like a birthday cake with no frosting …not very appealing… need I go on?

I agree 100% with your thoughts. The concept doesn't really work. The 1976 stuff is really the only interesting stuff here, as some tracks like "The Last Farewell" feature a mix that presents Elvis' voice in a far better light than before. Even "It's Easy For You" sounds really fresh. I thought about buying the vinyl, but there isn't enough of the successful mixes on there so I wouldn't play it. This, for me, will be an "spotify only" release. I guess there will be some complete 1976 release, featuring these mixes, further on. When everyone bought this....

Keep on Rockin'

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:26 am
The much discussed "Don't Cry Daddy" is a bold remix, obviously Matt tried to do something vastly different.
You don't think a mistake was made? It really sounds like a work in progress. Like an unfinished mix. Real bad actually. If they'd fix the vocal issue, these would've been the definitive version, for me.

Keep on Rockin'

rgray_69
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by rgray_69 »

It is so obvious that there is something wrong with Don't Cry Daddy. Hopefully Sony will make an official statement and issue replacement discs.

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

rgray_69 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:44 am
It is so obvious that there is something wrong with Don't Cry Daddy. Hopefully Sony will make an official statement and issue replacement discs.
Yes. And no, they won't. The policy is to release something "almost good" so they can release something "good" later.

Keep on Rockin'

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by rickeap »

If this version of Suspicious Minds was the original single, it probably wouldn't be considered such a timeless classic.
Don't Cry Daddy doesn't sound great but it is like a new song.
For the Heart sounds good and i like the longer fade outs on several of the uptempo songs.

JohanD

Post by JohanD »

Rockin_John wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:35 am
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:26 am
The much discussed "Don't Cry Daddy" is a bold remix, obviously Matt tried to do something vastly different.
You don't think a mistake was made? It really sounds like a work in progress. Like an unfinished mix. Real bad actually. If they'd fix the vocal issue, these would've been the definitive version, for me.
That's excactly what i think about the track too, it sounds indeed like a "work in progress"....

JohanD

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by frus75 »

The Graceland cd is the best because it is complete, it’s cohesive and puts a new light on Elvis last studio masters. This is why all the other studio 69 and 73 don’t work for me. Incomplete, non cohesive. It is not that I can't enjoy sone songs; is that it lacks something. And believe me , if we had been presented with all the overdubbed masters (all) and remixed, we'd be enjoying it a lot more. And it is very weird but the first cd stands there like out of place, if you know what I mean.

Again, discs 4 and 5 are worth it.

Iván

La voz del Rey

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

Matt Ross-Spang deleted the live drum track from the mix of "Don't Cry Daddy."

If you listen on headphones, you can faintly hear the drum kit cymbals, but only through leakage on the microphones set up for the acoustic piano, Farfisa organ and acoustic guitar.

Whether one likes it or dislikes it, removing the live drum track from "Don't Cry Daddy" is objectively out of step with the Sony / Legacy press announcement, which stated: "with overdubs stripped away - leaving the listener with only what Elvis heard live in the studio..." and "through it all, the listener is standing next to Elvis - hearing exactly what he is hearing."

With the live drum track removed, the listener is not exactly hearing what Elvis was hearing.

Below: Compare to Vic Anesini's mix. Note the presence of a live drum track that is missing on the Ross-Spang mix above.

Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkboughtlunch

Has anyone determined what source was used for "Mystery Train" on the Memphis set? It sounds hideous.

The online samples sound like a tape dub copy with heavy compression and additional reverb added, plus some boomy mid-bass EQ. This Memphis version, in my opinion, sounds poor due to the squashed dynamics, tubby EQ and generational fidelity loss inherent in this copy tape.

Ultimately, it's just academic because "Mystery Train" is available in superb sound on A Boy From Tupelo and Elvis At Sun. But I'm still curious why they chose to use a compressed, dubbed copy with added reverb on the Memphis box set.

Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

jetblack wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:06 pm
Two of my favourites:-

Andy
So these two are just the same recording, but in total different mixes :shock: Why do that Sony?

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

monkboughtlunch

On the new "Find Out What's Happening" mix, there are some previously unreleased Elvis vocalizations during the guitar break that were not included on the original 1973 mix. Nothing too earth shattering, but still fun to hear for the first time.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

So i must only and thus stick to the original 1969 single to hear what it should sounded in original when E was around & released it...
R-2889441-1511054413-6958.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

I have every release for the past decade (and everything else prior): this release has struck a chord with me and I find it excellent, bar a couple of constructively critical and personal and very slight dislikes - which is harsh enough to say when dealing with an excellent set.

We're totally lucky to still be getting new Presley product in 2024, and nitpicking without critical comment begs the question why people are posting here if not open to proper discussion.

As I expressed with my mate Geoff McDonnell last night (yes, the Pommie bastard that wrote all those Elvis Monthly articles including reviews of of then known versions of Hound Dog), I've not been more delighted or enveloped for years, maybe a decade, in an official release as I have been with Elvis Memphis. There are so many standouts, with a new way of listening to / hearing these tracks: the reality is, if you cling to the old mixes, then go back and play those!

Don't Cry Daddy is a fantastic track and a wonderful way to hear it, as is Any Day Now (especially from the falsetto part that has the rolling strumming guitar).

Personally I find the live show distracting and not in the flow of the studio tracks, and hence would have not included it had t been my choice. I generally agree about which tracks that were excluded in favour of others that some fans here have mentioned, is on the money.

There is too much goodness in this set to cover, and so little to sh*t-can the entire the release. I'd love to see a one hour documentary (like the Classic Albums documentary about the debut LP) with Matt and Ernst discussing how and why they made the decisions that they made on each of the tracks. Well done Ernst and Matt.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Rockin_John wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:32 am
This, for me, will be an "spotify only" release.
Eller ;)