Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

bajo
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by bajo »

So many issues to each and everyone. While I have not had the time to listen to everything, I managed to sit through the Gracland sessions. Simply great, imo! :smt020 This is my go to from now on......even though the opening vocal on It's Easy To You is not easy to fix!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

DakotaKid
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by DakotaKid »

Original overdubs removed, I'm out. The remainder of this year, release wise, will cost me next to nothing.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

Rockin_John wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:13 pm
Elvis2000 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:06 pm
I have put together a quick fix for Any Day Now, think it turned out pretty good.

Any Day Now (Fixed)
What was wrong with that track?
Around 2.25 half the line is missing where Elvis sings "Any day now".

ElSandro68
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

kevanbudd wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:07 am
The following deviate From the `Memphis` CD box set, which is all `A boy from Tupelo` mastering for disc 1.

Deviations on Qobuz and maybe other platforms.

1. That's all right (90s 50s box mastering)
2. Mystery train (compressed plus reverb, For LP fans only mastering)
3. Blue moon (compressed noisy older master) - special thanks to Claus.
4. I love you because (Different copy) - special thanks to Claus.

also
special thanks to...
Elvis2000
Claus
John from phoenix

I have notified Ernst of the issue.

Kevan Budd.
Dear Kevan Budd,

thank you for this information. I would like to join the previous speaker and ask if you could also present the technical errors that are obviously present to Ernst Joergensen.

There can be different opinions about the use of overdubs and the removal of background vocals. The use of the full-length vocal overdub on Don't Cry Daddy may also have been intentional on his part, although in my opinion it would only have made sense on the chorus, i.e. the real harmony vocals.

But the out-of-sync guitar on Supicious minds, which makes the song unlistenable for anyone with a reasonably good ear for music, and the cut-off vocal part of Elvis' lyric line on Any Day Now at around 2:24, which is hugely distracting, are major technical mistakes that really shouldn't have happened.

Thank you for your effort

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

Always enjoy Ed's take on things.

smt200 smt201

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote: ↑Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:03 pm
Is “You Asked Me To” an alternate take? I didn’t think Elvis sung the line “Lord I hope you never do” at the end of the second verse on the master take.

Dan T wrote:
I received my copy Friday, opened it but haven't played it yet, I've listened online and Elvis doesn't say "Lord I Hope You Never Do" on the master take on this set...where did you hear that ? (Apart from the alt take on previous releases, of course)

Dan T -

I am listening on the Amazon streaming. I just listened to "You Asked Me To" again and it is a version with the "Lord I Hope you never do" line.

What streaming service are listening to?

I've noticed other tracks that have horns, female voice and string overdubs on the 69 tracks.

I'm wondering if these are wrongly uploaded?

RKS

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

Harty wrote: ↑Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:36 am
I await a statement from Ernst on the disaster of CD2. He is the producer and bears the responsibility. It is incomprehensible why the numerous mistakes were not noticed. In places, overdubs were used after all. The undubbed take of Power of my love has no harmonica. The harmony vocal by Elvis on Don't cry daddy is an overdub sung days later after Elvis' vocal. Strictly speaking, the harmony vocal is not part of it.

Ahmmm…. Power Of My Love has a very distinct harmonica….?!?!
I'm listening to the streaming version on Amazon. There is a harmonica.

I'm thinking that with various streaming services, there are various versions, likely uploaded by mistake.

On some of the 69 tracks there are overdubbed horns, strings, and voices (female singers).

On "You Asked Me to" Elvis sings the line at the end of the 2nd verse "Lord I hope you never do" which isn't the master.

RKS

monkboughtlunch
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by monkboughtlunch »

Robert wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:11 am
The "EOT" reverb drenched Mystery Train version will always be my go to version.
"Dave Dexter Jr. Stockholm Syndrome" :wink:

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by TCB-FAN »

I prefer the 2014 Legacy Edition of the Memphis show. It was mixed by Rob Santos & Steve Rosenthal. It's not without its own issues but at least it has better definition and clarity. His vocal is far too low on the latest mix [as are the background singers], and the whole thing sounds like one mushy lo-fi compressed mess.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

today
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by today »

elvisalisellers wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:40 pm
Modified version of Ross-Spang's mix of "Promised Land" [again, characterised by a layer of tape hiss due to his insistency of mixing in analogue].

Elvis' vocal raised/delay effect reduced

Lead guitar amplified

Organ reduction

Presence applied to drum track

Narrower stereo spread

https://we.tl/t-RCV8oDLJ9g
Sounds interesting! Did anyone get this one? Missed out on it. Anyone able to repost?

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

interesting early feedback by other fans to Ed's video.

I say avoid the two LP version
based on the feedback.

@-dave3577
10 hours ago

"Any Day Now" has a woefully inept splice. Staggering this got through quality control.

@FrankieLovesElvis
8 hours ago (edited)
What about the digital clip, near the end when Elvis sings, “Any Day Now”, you can clearly hear, “Day Now” …

This whole set is just a joke. Been waiting Forever for this release and it’s so disappointing.

@dchampe66
2 hours ago
@FrankieLovesElvis I listened to this set's version of "Any Day Now" and I hear, too, the splice right after the words "and you won't be around" towards the end of the song. Then, I played the released version from 'From Elvis in Memphis'. At the same moment (listening on fairly cheap in-ear headphones), behind the strings and backing vocals, I can barely make out the same spliced edit as a far off echo. I can't be for sure it's the exact same splice edit, but perhaps when Chips Moman and company were putting it altogether originally, they knew they could cover this spliced audio with post-editing overdubs. Now that the overdubs are removed Matt Ross-Spang decided to leave the original 'veneer,' if you will, intact, maybe setting out only to improve the mix, and not fix? If you catch my meaning.
Only a theory.

@FrankieLovesElvis
2 hours ago
@dchampe66 And a theory it is.

If you listen back to the true undubbed versions found on the great FTD American Sound sessions, you will not hear that same digital click. it’s not even present on the original overdubbed version.

And the whole gag line gimmick of “as Elvis heard it in the studio” is completely false, as there are overdubs all over the set, sans the SUN material,
which used inferior sources to begin with. Hope this helps.

@jamesjuke7505
4 hours ago
Hey Ed, listened to most of it, all i can honestly say is we have been well and truly shafted...Just another cash grab for Elvis week! Absolutely sick of it all... what had already got my goat before purchasing this like a fool was seeing 1250 bucks to have a Q&A with Linda Thompson at Graceland, give me a break, can nobody do anything just for the love of Elvis? Is that not who it's all about?
Take it easy.

@freddysnip6257
9 hours ago
Hi Ed, I hate to disagree with you about Suspicious Minds. I don't think the sweetening has been done with the violins and such to cover up the slightly out of sync guitar of Reggie Young. I think it's a mixing mistake on behalf of Matt Ross-Spang. I just checked the unfinished Master of the song on the FTD Back in Memphis, and it sounds perfect in sync. I don't think Chips Moman or Elvis would have accepted it, when Reggie was out of sync. He was a fabulous proffesional session player. I think when Matt Ross-Spang tried to put the track of Elvis and the track where Reggie his guitar was put together in the remixing process a mistake was made by him that caused the out of sync effect

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Now, let's watch Ed take on the CD edition. Hopefully more favorable at that !

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:40 am
Rockin_John wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
I have put together a quick fix for Any Day Now, think it turned out pretty good.

Any Day Now (Fixed)
It’s so clearly evident and I noticed on the very first listen. So annoying.

Suspicious Minds is [almost] ]unlistenable.

What happened to the kick drum on most of the Stax recordings?

For me, at least, it’s the meat and potatoes of the original mixes, and most of this highly uneven train wreck of a release that’s missing this aspect of the original recordings.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Fabbe »

There are two distinct types of discussions here. The first is purely artistic, focusing on the creative choices made by Matt Ross-Spang. Some people appreciate these choices, while others may not; personally, I find that I love the majority of them. The second discussion centers around errors that are not intentional artistic decisions but rather clear mistakes that no one intended to make. For instance, moving the guitar out of sync in "Suspicious Minds" is not an artistic choice by Matt Ross-Spang, but a mistake that I'm sure he would want to correct.

PS For those who think 'Suspicious Minds' was originally recorded that way, it wasn't. You can listen to the same take of the song on earlier undubbed releases, and the guitar is well in sync.
Last edited by Fabbe on Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Rockin_John »

minkahed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:47 am
Elvis2000 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:40 am
Rockin_John wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:

Any Day Now (Fixed)
It’s so clearly evident and I noticed on the very first listen. So annoying.

Suspicious Minds is [almost] ]unlistenable.

What happened to the kick drum on most of the Stax recordings?

For me, at least, it’s the meat and potatoes of the original mixes, and most of this highly uneven train wreck of a release that’s missing this aspect of the original recordings.
It is clear, and I did notice it - I just attributed it to being recorded that way. My God :facep:

Keep on Rockin'

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Amazon U.S.A. has dropped the price on the "Elvis Memphis" CD box set to $60.25 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=elvis+memphis+box+set&crid=1Z1F4Z1QGMCFD&sprefix=elvis+memphis%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-xclick_2_13

MT

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Mine is on the way from amazon.co.uk and the total price in Canadian funds was $65.77...unbeatable anywhere else.

marvan
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by marvan »

:facep:
MysteryTrain wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:34 pm
Amazon U.S.A. has dropped the price on the "Elvis Memphis" CD box set to $60.25 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=elvis+memphis+box+set&crid=1Z1F4Z1QGMCFD&sprefix=elvis+memphis%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-xclick_2_13

MT
At this moment $52,68

elvisfan51
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by elvisfan51 »

MysteryTrain wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:34 pm

MT
Shipped by 3rd party, not Amazon!

Igotstung
Registered for: 9 months

Post by Igotstung »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:50 am
Harty wrote: ↑Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:36 am
I await a statement from Ernst on the disaster of CD2. He is the producer and bears the responsibility. It is incomprehensible why the numerous mistakes were not noticed. In places, overdubs were used after all. The undubbed take of Power of my love has no harmonica. The harmony vocal by Elvis on Don't cry daddy is an overdub sung days later after Elvis' vocal. Strictly speaking, the harmony vocal is not part of it.

Ahmmm…. Power Of My Love has a very distinct harmonica….?!?!
I'm listening to the streaming version on Amazon. There is a harmonica.

I'm thinking that with various streaming services, there are various versions, likely uploaded by mistake.

On some of the 69 tracks there are overdubbed horns, strings, and voices (female singers).

On "You Asked Me to" Elvis sings the line at the end of the 2nd verse "Lord I hope you never do" which isn't the master.

RKS

Did random checks on Spotify and Amazon, both sound same. And yes, POML has a overbearing Harmonica.

Harty
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by Harty »

Iam no native english person, what I said before: the original undubbed master of POML has no harmonica. Now they used the overdubbed harmonica for the new mix. Hear Elvis like a fly on the wall ?

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

today wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:30 am
elvisalisellers wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:40 pm
Modified version of Ross-Spang's mix of "Promised Land" [again, characterised by a layer of tape hiss due to his insistency of mixing in analogue].

Elvis' vocal raised/delay effect reduced

Lead guitar amplified

Organ reduction

Presence applied to drum track

Narrower stereo spread

https://we.tl/t-RCV8oDLJ9g
Sounds interesting! Did anyone get this one? Missed out on it. Anyone able to repost?
https://we.tl/t-FViyBdihYU

bajo

Post by bajo »

bajo

Post by bajo »

Regarding Talk About The Good Times, I don't think the undubbed master as it is supposed to appear on the Good Times FTD, is actually the back up vocals overdubbed master. Take 3 of the song has no live backup vocals. According to Keith, vocal oberdub to Talk About The Good Times were done later. That said, I've actually come to like this set as I have had time to dig into it!

bajo

Post by bajo »

bajo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:53 pm
Regarding Talk About The Good Times, I don't think the undubbed master as it is supposed to appear on the Good Times FTD, is it! I think it is the vocal oberdubbed master! Take 3 of the song has no live backup vocals. According to Keith, vocal oberdub to Talk About The Good Times were done later. That said, I've actually come to like this set as I have had time to dig into it!