Suspicious Minds in Aloha

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

TINML
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Re: Suspicious Minds in Aloha

Post by TINML »

TBH this is an album I never play in it's entirety and the only songs I've ripped to my iPod are I'll Remember You, What Now My Love & It's Over.

That being said I do watch the DVDs every few months, as an audio/visual presentation they are a delight.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

r&b

Post by r&b »

JRtherealJR wrote:ALOHA FROM HAWAII was a triumph for Elvis and a world-first which also produced a number one album.

Whichever way you look at it, it's the jewel in the King's crown.

I've always loved this show, however as some people have noted Elvis seemed to be tamer / more controlled than usual and that perhaps there was less electricity in the air from the audience.

It seems to be there are a number of theories which have been put forward for this:

-The audience were told to stay in their seats
-Ballad-heavy set list
-House lights remained on
-Elvis was nervous at being on worldwide TV (I do not think this is the case- for example look at the nervous energy he showed in the '68 special)
-Elvis deliberately controlled himself so he would not make any mistakes
-Elvis had been on a strict diet and had low energy levels (I do not agree with this as he had always been on crash-diets before)
-5 "slow" songs in a row at the start of the concert: Something / Mountain / Steamroller / My Way / Love Me

I find it credible that Elvis was controlling himself more because he knew they only had 1 take to get everything right in front of the watching world. Elvis always thrived on nervous energy so I don't think it was a case of nerves I think it's a combination of the audience being told to sit still, Elvis controlling himself and the many ballads.

He should have ditched I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and What Now My Love and replaced then with other songs from his own catalogue. I get that he was told to sing different songs but there are hundreds he could have chosen from his own catalogue.

I've never understood all the love for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry from ALOHA. I would have rather have seen these 2 songs replaced with Don't Be Cruel and another of his classics. He should not have sung some obscurity like There's Always Me as has been suggested on here. He should have sung at least 1 more of his immortals.

Welcome To My World is a nice addition and is very welcome in Aloha. My Way is sensational and he immediately OWNS the song for all time. Steamroller again, is a very nice addition.

ALOHA was and is a wonderful success for the King and something that had never been done before. I never get tired of watching it and always seem to notice new things even now.

It was a sensational show and a big "event" for Elvis and all the fans and we're so lucky to have such a great gift from the King!
Nope. Sinatra still owns My Way and it will forever be identified with him before Elvis. If you dont believe that, step outside the Elvis World and ask around. Very few will tell you Elvis owns the song. Plus Frank really lived the lyrics a opposed to Elvis. Maybe Elvis should have changed the title to The Cols. Way. The Sinatra's studio version is a masterpiece in arrangement and production. You cant compare a live version with a studio classic and I dont even care that much for the song. BTW, Elvis' studio version is horrendous and should have been kept under wraps. It represents everything that is considered substandard with Elvis and the 70's
Last edited by r&b on Wed May 11, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Love it or hate it, there is no question that the performance of "Suspicious Minds" on 1-14-1973 is rushed, sloppy and sung without commitment. He even mumbles a line or two. But Elvis had lost affection for the #1 hit within a year of its release in August 1969, a great shame.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

r&b wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:ALOHA FROM HAWAII was a triumph for Elvis and a world-first which also produced a number one album.

I've always loved this show, however as some people have noted Elvis seemed to be tamer / more controlled than usual and that perhaps there was less electricity in the air from the audience.

It seems to be there are a number of theories which have been put forward for this:

-Ballad-heavy set list
-Elvis was nervous at being on worldwide TV (I do not think this is the case- for example look at the nervous energy he showed in the '68 special)
-Elvis had been on a strict diet and had low energy levels (I do not agree with this as he had always been on crash-diets before)
-5 "slow" songs in a row at the start of the concert: Something / Mountain / Steamroller / My Way / Love Me

I find it credible that Elvis was controlling himself more because he knew they only had 1 take to get everything right in front of the watching world. Elvis always thrived on nervous energy so I don't think it was a case of nerves I think it's a combination of the audience being told to sit still, Elvis controlling himself and the many ballads.

He should have ditched I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and What Now My Love and replaced then with other songs from his own catalogue. I get that he was told to sing different songs but there are hundreds he could have chosen from his own catalogue.

I've never understood all the love for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry from ALOHA. I would have rather have seen these 2 songs replaced with Don't Be Cruel and another of his classics. He should not have sung some obscurity like There's Always Me as has been suggested on here. He should have sung at least 1 more of his immortals.

Welcome To My World is a nice addition and is very welcome in Aloha. My Way is sensational and he immediately OWNS the song for all time. Steamroller again, is a very nice addition.

ALOHA was and is a wonderful success for the King and something that had never been done before. I never get tired of watching it and always seem to notice new things even now.

It was a sensational show and a big "event" for Elvis and all the fans and we're so lucky to have such a great gift from the King!
Nope. Sinatra still owns My Way and it will forever be identified with him before Elvis. If you dont believe that, step outside the Elvis World and ask around. Very few will tell you Elvis owns the song. Plus Frank really lived the lyrics a opposed to Elvis. Maybe Elvis should have changed the title to The Cols. Way. The Sinatra's studio version is a masterpiece in arrangement and production. You cant compare a live version with a studio classic and I dont even care that much for the song. BTW, Elvis' studio version is horrendous and should have been kept under wraps. It represents everything that is considered substandard with Elvis and the 70's
Shee-it.

ICanHelp
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by ICanHelp »

r&b wrote:

-Ballad-heavy set list

I agree the general public associates My Way with Frank and not Elvis, but that was not the case for a year or so after Elvis' death, when his version of the song was all over the radio. I remain on the fence about which version I enjoy most. Both Frank and Elvis sing the hell out of the song in very different ways. The Elvis "studio" version stinks but, in all fairness, was unfinished and never intended to see the light of day.

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Domino »

Fabbe wrote:
I think he was tamer than usual because of how the format was set. But that I don't mind - it makes it different and introspective. Just my opinion.

I think the whole show was tamer just because it was television.Even the audience is tamer.But as you say,makes it different and introspective.
He had to tame it down for television before.Anyone know if TV standards of the day (1973) would have limited the type of show that was broadcast ?

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

r&b

Post by r&b »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:

-Ballad-heavy set list

I agree the general public associates My Way with Frank and not Elvis, but that was not the case for a year or so after Elvis' death, when his version of the song was all over the radio. I remain on the fence about which version I enjoy most. Both Frank and Elvis sing the hell out of the song in very different ways. The Elvis "studio" version stinks but, in all fairness, was unfinished and never intended to see the light of day.
Yes and in 1979 My Way by Elvis came in at #3 in the top 500 greatest songs of all time on WCBS-FM's annual top 500 voting. All strictly sentiment Im sure as it soon faded from the whole list. These days, Im not sure any Elvis songs even makes their list, as they very rarely play songs prior to the disco era. In 2006, mgmt decided to change the playlist due to the age of the listening audience and their motto when they changed was more Billy Joel, less Elvis. It once was a great radio station who actually employed many of the disc jockeys from old AM radio. I havent listened since.

Eggrert
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Eggrert »

I like Frank and all, but I've never cared for his (or anyone else's) version of My Way. They just plod along. Only Elvis made it dynamic and truly passionate.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Domino wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
I think he was tamer than usual because of how the format was set. But that I don't mind - it makes it different and introspective. Just my opinion.

I think the whole show was tamer just because it was television.Even the audience is tamer.But as you say,makes it different and introspective.
He had to tame it down for television before.Anyone know if TV standards of the day (1973) would have limited the type of show that was broadcast ?
Are you asking if Elvis was restricted in what he could do in Aloha because of, for want of a better term, censorship? Considering he was writhing around in a black leather suit that left little to the imagination five years earlier, the answer is no. Elvis was not doing anything in his by-then tame live performances that would have been remotely controversial. The excuse keeps cropping up that Aloha is "tamer" or more "sedate" or "safer" than we might have expected because Elvis was nervous or because of TV. Nerves do not make you put perform as Elvis did in Aloha. The adrenalin would create more energy, not less. And the multi-camera set up would have been more than capable of coping with whatever on-stage moves Elvis wanted to make. This was TV in 1973, not 1953. It was far more advanced and sophisticated. The major reason behind Elvis's pedestrian performance is quite clear to all who open their eyes and look into Elvis's during the show.

drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:Nope. Sinatra still owns My Way and it will forever be identified with him before Elvis. If you dont believe that, step outside the Elvis World and ask around. Very few will tell you Elvis owns the song. Plus Frank really lived the lyrics a opposed to Elvis. Maybe Elvis should have changed the title to The Cols. Way. The Sinatra's studio version is a masterpiece in arrangement and production. You cant compare a live version with a studio classic and I dont even care that much for the song. BTW, Elvis' studio version is horrendous and should have been kept under wraps. It represents everything that is considered substandard with Elvis and the 70's
It was kept under wraps for 24 years, and only exhumed for a major box set as a bonus cut. So it's not really valid for comparison. That said, the worst thing about the shelved studio version from 1971 is the fact that it's boring.

The rest of your post is spot-on. Only hard-core Elvis fans push his official live recording of "My Way" from 1973 (or 1977) as "ownership." It's a Frank Sinatra signature song, and in many ways it's unfortunate that Presley became so attached to it in the later years.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Eggrert
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Eggrert »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Nerves do not make you put perform as Elvis did in Aloha. The adrenalin would create more energy, not less.
Obviously I've never performed a satellite show in front of the entire (lol) world, but at least in my personal experience, sometimes nerves lead to extra energy, and sometimes they lead to a rather reserved performance. I can't really say what's going on with Elvis in Aloha, but given that the rehearsal show isn't much better than the broadcast version, I'd say it was just his state of mind at the time (or at least during those two nights). That having been said, the post-show performances are much, much better than the stage performances, and I don't really know why that would have been...

drjohncarpenter

Eggrert wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Nerves do not make you put perform as Elvis did in Aloha. The adrenalin would create more energy, not less.
Obviously I've never performed a satellite show in front of the entire (lol) world ...
Clearly "poormadpeter2" has. :D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Domino »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Domino wrote:
Fabbe wrote:

Are you asking if Elvis was restricted in what he could do in Aloha because of, for want of a better term, censorship? Considering he was writhing around in a black leather suit that left little to the imagination five years earlier, the answer is no. Elvis was not doing anything in his by-then tame live performances that would have been remotely controversial. The excuse keeps cropping up that Aloha is "tamer" or more "sedate" or "safer" than we might have expected because Elvis was nervous or because of TV. Nerves do not make you put perform as Elvis did in Aloha. The adrenalin would create more energy, not less. And the multi-camera set up would have been more than capable of coping with whatever on-stage moves Elvis wanted to make. This was TV in 1973, not 1953. It was far more advanced and sophisticated. The major reason behind Elvis's pedestrian performance is quite clear to all who open their eyes and look into Elvis's during the show.

It was just am idea.Always thought Elvis wasn't putting on a show like he would do on tour.But doesn't matter anyway.I've watched it dozens of times.Bought it on VHS & DVD and I've never gotten tired of watching it.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

-Ballad-heavy set list

Absolutely, a worldwide number 1 album, and a number 1 rated television special seen by millions, this is, was to be the last peak in his career and this is the image everyone remembers Elvis by.

As for Elvis' appearance, her never looked better and his lack of vocal ability and stage movements, IMHO, was a little due to ego.

Elvis knew he was the sh*t, so he was coasting a little on that. I'm not saying he didn't try on certain songs, but look at his face when he starts singing his most famous record, "Hound Dog". He shakes his head a little like, "Really?"

Again, my opinion.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

bajo
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by bajo »

"it's not one of my songs, but I'd like to sing it for you...My Way"....

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

r&b

Post by r&b »

bajo wrote:"it's not one of my songs, but I'd like to sing it for you...My Way"....
Yes and Elvis duly and rightfully noted it was still Frank Sinatra's song before he sang it in 1977, 4 full years after Aloha. Further he needed the lyric sheet. So much for it being 'his song'. As for me, I wish he never went near this song, and others like it. In his book, Tom Jones said Elvis told him to stay away from MOR songs like this, let SInatra & and his type sing them. Once again, false words.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by GERRY »

I wonder what the temperature was in that HC arena? We have all seen the Aloha photographs of Elvis sweating profusely, for years i thought Elvis had tears rolling down his face on that Legendary performer lp cover. ::rocks

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Dan_T »

r&b wrote:
bajo wrote:"it's not one of my songs, but I'd like to sing it for you...My Way"....
Yes and Elvis duly and rightfully noted it was still Frank Sinatra's song before he sang it in 1977, 4 full years after Aloha. Further he needed the lyric sheet. So much for it being 'his song'. As for me, I wish he never went near this song, and others like it. In his book, Tom Jones said Elvis told him to stay away from MOR songs like this, let SInatra & and his type sing them. Once again, false words.
No he he didn't say MOR songs, he said "The Standards"

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

GERRY wrote:I wonder what the temperature was in that HC arena? We have all seen the Aloha photographs of Elvis sweating profusely, for years i thought Elvis had tears rolling down his face on that Legendary performer lp cover. ::rocks
The lights on him made it even hotter than the surrounding area for sure.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Dan_T wrote:
r&b wrote:
Yeah and My Way had sort of fallen into that category. Also Impossible Dream, Its Impossible, etc. Semantics. Basically all the same type of songs. They had become or were becoming American standards mostly sung by the Sinatras, Comos, Andy Williams , Jack Jones and gasp! Jim Nabors of the world. Elvis should have steered clear of them. Not only did it make many people look at him as now, just another Vegas cover singer, there were so many great songs in the pop world he could have done instead. We wont get into that.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

r&b wrote:Not only did it make many people look at him as now, just another Vegas cover singer...
I believe this statement is inaccurate as I think the hundreds of thousands of Elvis fans that visit Graceland each year might disagree...

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

r&b wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
r&b wrote:
Yeah and My Way had sort of fallen into that category. Also Impossible Dream, Its Impossible, etc. Semantics. Basically all the same type of songs. They had become or were becoming American standards mostly sung by the Sinatras, Comos, Andy Williams , Jack Jones and gasp! Jim Nabors of the world. Elvis should have steered clear of them. Not only did it make many people look at him as now, just another Vegas cover singer, there were so many great songs in the pop world he could have done instead. We wont get into that.
I agree that elvis should hace stayed away from that kind of material, but at the same time, i understand that he was looking for some kind of respect from the business. Somehow, and wrongfully, he believed that rock music would not bring him the respect he was looking for.

r&b

Post by r&b »

JRtherealJR wrote:
jeanno wrote:
r&b wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
r&b wrote:
I agree that elvis should hace stayed away from that kind of material, but at the same time, i understand that he was looking for some kind of respect from the business. Somehow, and wrongfully, he believed that rock music would not bring him the respect he was looking for.
Why should Elvis have stayed away from that material? You just want him to be one of those singers that never reinvents themselves and just sings the same songs all their lives?

Elvis had a magnificent voice and the deep emotional songs like My Way / Mountain / Unchained Melody / How Great Thou Art were always showstoppers when he sang them. Elvis was so much more than just a rock n' roll singer. From the very beginning of his career he sang everything.

Why on earth would you want him to just sing rock n' roll and nothing else?
I never said that did I? But My Way? Cmon. Pure schmaltz, in the league with 'Feelings', best left to lounge singers and wedding bands.

samses
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by samses »

Elvis should have stayed away from the standards and stuck to Rock´n roll, Gospel, Blues and Country. Those genres and the combinations he did of them was the essence of his work.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by jeanno »

Wiebe wrote:Why should Elvis have stayed away from that material? You just want him to be one of those singers that never reinvents themselves and just sings the same songs all their lives?

Elvis had a magnificent voice and the deep emotional songs like My Way / Mountain / Unchained Melody / How Great Thou Art were always showstoppers when he sang them. Elvis was so much more than just a rock n' roll singer. From the very beginning of his career he sang everything.

Why on earth would you want him to just sing rock n' roll and nothing else?
I'd have to agree there. In this respect he did it his way. These songs weren't forced upon him, he dug them and gave them his own beautiful meaning. Was it hard for him to find good original material in the 70s?; yes. Not everyone has to like them, there's plenty of the other stuff.[/quote]
His talent had no limit in Blues, Rock, Gospel, Country, Soul, Pop, R&B.
There was no need to deviate towards IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM and other MOR stuff of that schmaltzkind.