Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Memphis (Box Set)

Post by ForeverElvis »

lucio wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:51 pm
I finally got around to buying both the 5CD set and the vinyl and give (the box set) a proper listening session.
Thought Matt Ross Sprang did a great job on the Las Vegas 1969, From Elvis In Nashville and Back In Nashville box sets but this one did not catch my enthusiasm.
- For the Sun sides A Boy From Tupelo will be my go-to set.
- For The American sound sessions, I perfectly happy with the FTDs and complete sessions set and I even favor the good old Memphis Record over these mixes.
- For the Stax sessions I personally prefer Elvis at Stax, as I prefer Jungle Room Sessions (FTD) and Way Down In The Jungle Room over the representation on this album.
- The Memphis 1974 might just have a bit more punch on this release than previous mixes, but pales in comparison to the quad mix (also the original From Elvis In Memphis and Promised Land quad mixes sound blow these mixes out of the water).
Personally I am not very enthusiastic about this release and I think it is a hit and miss job with quite a few sound issues and odd mixing choices like Don't Cry Daddy. I will leave the records sealed and store the box set in my collection > not something I will revisit frequently.
I agree with you regarding the generally inferior mixes for '69, '73, '76 on this set but as far as Elvis' voice specifically, if one did an A-B comparison, it has never sounded better than here. If we could take the voice upgrade of Memphis and the instrumental mixes of the previous releases you mention (minus the often overpowering back up vocalists), then that would be a winner for me.
Why don’t we just Re-Animate Elvis and have him re-record everything while we’re at it.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Alexander
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Alexander »

Robert wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:19 am
TCB-FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:48 pm
Alexander wrote:
The Memphis 1974 might just have a bit more punch on this release than previous mixes, but pales in comparison to the quad mix (also the original From Elvis In Memphis
Now if only Ernst could dig up & locate the complete Memphis concert master tape (if in fact it exists),mixed by Dennis Ferrante in 1997 & release that, it would be quite nice. It would put ALL other mixes & releases to shame, including the latest Ross-Spang mix. :smt006
Adding up all releases so far I think this latest sound and the FTD is the best we'll ever get.
The concert recording has it's limitations in terms of thin bass track, weak snare drum and kick drum doesn't seem to be recorded at all.
Even on the Platinum mix there's no kick drum during the Steamroller intro and we know Ronnie did use it heavily.

Matt Ross stated he leaned on the audience track quite a bit and it gives you a true concert feel so I'm quite ok with the MEMPHIS audio.
The overall sound is pretty cool and Elvis voice shines.
And it's obviously better than the Legacy release but that was an easy game.
I honestly don't have a very detailed musical ear, so take it for what it is, but you mention a weak bassline and lack of kick drum. You are still very welcome to listen to the quad mix, how the mix was done over 4 channels at the time and whether you can hear this instrumentation there. Of course the quad mix is ​​closer to the original stereo mix, but what you see here is that the recording of the audience works very well: you really have the feeling that you are standing in the middle of the Midsouth Colosseum. Just saying :wink:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:52 am
Why don’t we just Re-Animate Elvis and have him re-record everything while we’re at it.

Frankly, imagine how much 21st century audio technology could improve "My Boy."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by sweetangeline »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:02 pm
ForeverElvis wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:52 am

...you are my life, my pride, my joy :D

drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:08 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:02 pm

...you are my life, my pride, my joy :D

It's even possible they could create an actual complete take of the song.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by Greystoke »

b25lY21zOjA2NTY0MzVmLTVjOTUtNDE5Ni05MWJhLTYxZmYwODlhOThjYjplOTAxZThjOS04ZjUyLTQ3OWMtYmRiOC00OGMyMDAzZjAyNjI=.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Greystoke wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:21 pm

"Supertoys Last All Summer Long"

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

TCB-FAN wrote:
Alexander wrote:
The Memphis 1974 might just have a bit more punch on this release than previous mixes, but pales in comparison to the quad mix (also the original From Elvis In Memphis
Now if only Ernst could dig up & locate the complete Memphis concert master tape (if in fact it exists),mixed by Dennis Ferrante in 1997 & release that, it would be quite nice. It would put ALL other mixes & releases to shame, including the latest Ross-Spang mix. :smt006
Funny you mention this, as I have been doing the same comparison with the Platinum set against the Memphis one and it’s like nite and day, as I definitely prefer the Platinum mixes much better.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by TCB-FAN »

minkahed wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:09 am
TCB-FAN wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Funny you mention this, as I have been doing the same comparison with the Platinum set against the Memphis one and it’s like nite and day, as I definitely prefer the Platinum mixes much better.
I'm not discounting the realm of possibility that the Ferrante tape of the entire Memphis concert does exist ,because after all, BMG did release the Ferrante mix of Aloha show in 1998, which sounded fantastic, imho..... as well as the "An Afternoon In The Garden" (June 10th ,1972 A.S.) ,released in 1997. Only Ernst & his Sony team would know for sure what they have in the vaults.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970