TCBCast Podcast - New Episodes Every Tuesday

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mike C
Registered for: 21 years

Re: TCBCast Podcast Thread - My new project!

Post by Mike C »

GibbersGanfa on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 am wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm thrilled to launch TCBCast: An Unofficial Elvis Presley Fan Podcast today! Myself and co-host Gurdip Ladhar have had this in the works for a little while now, after we both realized that while there is the excellent but brief Graceland Podcast out of Graceland and of course the longtime online radio show & fan favorite (mine as well) Elvis Express Radio, there were no other Elvis fan podcasts out there in the usual podcasting channels focusing on discussion-only about the man and his art, but there seem to be quite a few for other major artists like The Beatles and Michael Jackson, so we decided to take the matter into our own hands!

We plan on doing an episode a week, recording on Wednesday, releasing the following Tuesday, starting today with our first episode. Format-wise, we'll have one major discussion topic for an episode and then each of us presents a surprise "Song of the Week" to the other for discussion. This first episode runs a little over an hour and a half since we're doing introductions and laying out the format of the show. Our first discussion topics are really broad - this first episode we cover growing up after Elvis' death as a second generation fan, Elvis's musical growth from a rock'n'roll star to all-around entertainer, and how Elvis' fame is a cautionary tale for internet celebrities. Next week we plan on talking about Elvis in the 21st Century and where to start if you're a new fan, and later have planned discussions on Elvis' movies (both starring him and about him), his place in pop culture and society, and of course both influences on him and his influences on others.

Our only goal is to be educational and entertaining, and we're aiming at both older, established Elvis fans and total newbies. We want to try to make understanding and appreciating Elvis a little more approachable through our discussions and hopefully present some new perspectives as fans that grew up post-77. We hope you'll follow along each episode and give us feedback, either in here or email us at tcbcast@gmail.com.

The podcast is available at the link(s) below but should be accessible through iPhone's "podcasts" app, iTunes, and most other podcast apps on desktop & mobile, including Spotify.

Show:
Episode 1:

Thanks!
-Justin Gausman

::rocks

Interesting stuff, Justin. Will check it out.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by joekro1977 »

I am an active podcast listener - I will be sure to check this out and will probably hope to participate in some way (you've been warned, lol.)

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

I only listen to a handful of podcasts and most via YouTube, any chance this will be uploaded on there ?

Good luck with the project!

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Fabbe
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Fabbe »

Great idea Justin - and thanks for doing this.

I am listening to it right now :-) and I am enjoying it !!!

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

Great new addition to the Elvis World by these second generation Elvis fans. The introductory Podcast made for very interesting listening. Nice to see that they are 'spreading the gospel'. Hopefully many new people will learn to appreciate Elvis' talent through tuning in.

Keep up the good work guys. I will definitely be a regular listener.

Brian

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

I just finished listening to it at work, great stuff! Your experience with how you'd find out of new releases and stuff mirrors mine! I would too go to the library and find out new Elvis stuff that way as I didn't get a PC until 2001! I will definitely be listening in frequently, best of luck.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

joekro1977

Post by joekro1977 »

Not showing up in the Apple Podcast app just yet - do you have to apply to them or something along those lines?

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

RyanD
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by RyanD »

Great idea. I actually tinkered around with the idea of doing this a while back too, there's definitely a place for something like this right now.

I have subscribed and look forward to listening. I've got a few years of experience podcasting about other topics and would love to help out if you ever need someone. Let me know! The first episode sounds great quality wise.

Best of luck.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Thanks will give a listen....and great that a mp3 version can be downloaded and not just streaming.
Any other Elvis podcasts out there besides EER express show?

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

Hey Justin, I really enjoyed that. You and Gurdip have a great rapport and make it really interesting. Looking forward to the next podcast.

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

trevorelvis
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

TCBCast Podcast Thread - My new project!

Post by trevorelvis »

Just gonna give it a plug on my Facebook group now

http://www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Elvis Facebook Group : His Truth Goes Marching On

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

Page at https://www.facebook.com/elvispresleyhistruthismarchingon/

http://twitter.com/presleytweets

Elvis Presley 1970
"Before you abuse, criticise or accuse - walk a mile in my shoes"

Rocky Balboa 2007
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits."

joekro1977

Post by joekro1977 »

Finished Ep 1 over the weekend and enjoyed it very much!

Hank
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Hank »

I'm nearly finished with the episode (I arrived home shortly after the discussion of "Portrait Of My Love" began) but I really enjoyed what I heard. I really related to both of you, especially as I too once scrambled to find, and overpaid to own, the 4-CD sets of "Elvis Aron Presley" and "A Golden Celebration". Both sets are now sort of redundant, but they're still cool artifacts.

I'm a little bit older than you guys, but I'm still a second-generation fan. What I remember most about Elvis in pop culture back in the 80's--besides the Public Enemy thing you guys mentioned--was the whole phenomenon of "Elvis Sightings", and Gail Brewer Georgio's run as a daytime talkshow mainstay with her whole "Is Elvis Alive?" schtick. In the pre-SNopes era, so-called Elvis sightings would actually get picked up by national wire services.

I also remember the sudden cultural shift that seemed to happen with the "Complete 50's Masters" boxed set was released. Free of Col. Parker, it was as thoough Lisa Marie and Sony set out to reclaim Presley's legacy in the most fundamental way possible--through the music.

Really looking forward to hearing where you guys go with this (and to hearing the rest of Episode #1).

Hank

Post by Hank »

Oh, and I almost forgot: The bonus tracks on the "Stereo '57: Essential Elvis Vol. 2" CD were regular mono masters of other tracks, like "All Shook Up", recorded in January, 1957. While I'd love to hear an alternate studio version of "All Shook Up", RCA apparently didn't bother to hang onto the session tapes.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

I have heard approx 30 minutes of the podcast but to me it was a little boring at times....it was about "nothing" imo.
I prefer hearing talk/review about things like the new on tour box,new and upcoming ftd releases...the new Searchers documentary and so on
But it was the very first episode so I will keep on hearing :)

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

GibbersGanfa on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:55 pm wrote:
NEW EPISODE OUT NOW

http://tcbcast.libsyn.com/tcbcast-002-21st-century-presley

In the second episode, we "have candid discussions on Elvis' relevance in the digital age, remixes, what ETAs and cosplayers have in common, Gurdip laughs at how little Justin knows about football, and two well-known Elvis hits are our Songs of the Week!"
Great! will stream it in few minutes. Thanks for doing this :-)

Mr Songman
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: TCBCast Podcast Thread - New Episode 2/6/18

Post by Mr Songman »

Good idea. However, I personally found the subject too vague and boring.
Becoming a fan, impersonators etc
It's more sociological thoughts on liking Elvis than a podcast that informs you on things Elvis.
Well done for the effort. Hopefully you'll find enough people that enjoy that type of chat.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Just listened to it. Thank you - I like the concept of your podcast and enjoy the relaxed feeling about it, the chatting about and the info popping up here and there.

SenseiHoots
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by SenseiHoots »

I loved the first two episodes. It's interesting to hear the stories, perspective of fans who are a little closer to my age (I'm a bit younger, but I can still somewhat relate haha).

Looking forward to more! :)

ck1
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by ck1 »

Great stuff guys, wish I could join in the chat with you!

lucio

Post by lucio »

Enjoyed the first show and look forward to hearing more. Nice work gentlemen.
Lucio

ck1
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by ck1 »

Seeing some comments above, well I really enjoyed the podcasts becauseof their chitchat.
I wasn't expecting a newscast and I'm surprised others were.
The format of podcasts is generally about casual chat.

Because most of us 2nd generation fans grew up without knowing another Elvis fan, it's great to hear of similar experiences and hear you guys talking about stuff I'd love to talk about, if I knew anyone who was that interested!

I think in future it would be good if you gave a 10 min guest slot for other fans to talk about a topic they'd like to open up on.

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Re: TCBCast Podcast Thread - New Episode 2/13/18

Post by Barbie »

Hi guys! Enjoyed the shows - and listening to you two..............fairly newer fans and loving how you became Elvis fans!.................I always like to hear those stories.........my daughters and granddaughter who is 26 love Elvis as they heard him all the time at my house!..(and rock and roll too!)....I think you need the perspective of older fans who were there at the wild and krazy times of the 50's, thru the movie years and those fantastic beginnings (69, 70, 71-my favourite years!)of seeing Elvis live, and thru to the sad ending...............I last saw him in Nov. 76 but we never realized things were that bad.....we had only seen a few pictures, all the really bad ones came out after his passing!.......now we hear it all in some recordings of '76 on FTD or bootlegs, the shows I saw in Tahoe and Eugene in '76 were fabulous and he sounded great, however '76 definitely had its ups and downs. I don't even know why FTD would release some of these shows from '76, 77 that they have, and Elvis should have never been performing in these particular shows.............I'm glad to hear Gurdip also lives right across the pond from me here on Vancouver Island....................I know a few real fans and collectors in B.C. but did not know Gurdip..........Keep up the good work boys!!! :D (Adding a little more news into your shows, the latest goop so we get the scoop) lol...............

Hank

Re: TCBCast Podcast Thread - New Episode 2/13/18

Post by Hank »

Just wanted to pass along a note that I'm especially enjoying the discussion of the songs at the end of the show, especially the notes you both provided in Episode #3 (the use of backing vocalists cfor the first time on "I Was The One", and a lot of background on the song "Surrender" that I didn't know.) For all of the other Elvis-related, non-musical topics out there (his movies, his home, his death, his cars) to me it always goes back to his craftmanship as a singer, particularly in the studio.

Now that FTD has apparently released the most of existing session tapes (I mean really--whatever's still in the vault has got to be merely gravy at this point) I'm surprised that there's not more discussion going on about topics such as the work parts for "Surrender". (It's certainly more scintillating than lists of every typo and incorrect track times ever found on an FTD sleeve.) I'm also constantly learning new facts about these sessions that explain some of what is heard in the recordings.

Obviously there are a broad range of Presley-related topics worth covering, and I like how you're both seem to consistently view Elvis from fairly reasonable point of view. Just saying that I get especially stoked by the "Song Of The Week" discussion. Lord knows, if both of you evenly split the Presley caralog, there's enough songs for your next 400 episodes!

For what it's worth--I also wouldn't mind hearing you guys discuss one other thing mentioned in passing during Episode #3--Albert Goldman's biography. I never read it all the way through. I did read "Elvis :The Last 24 Hours", which presented a thesis that Presley committed suicide. It actually wasn't a completely irrational thesis, but it wasn't especially compelling, either. What is an entirely rational thesis is that Goldman set out to write the biography of a man he clearly despised on every level. What, if anything, did he actually accomplish in doing so?

Anyway, just some thoughts--mine and mine alone.

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Re: TCBCast Podcast Thread - New Episode 2/20/18

Post by KingElvis »

Thanks but ep3 doesnt work....not downloading or streaming.
The rest of them is ok