Young Ernst talks about "On Tour" tapes in EMM

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Young Ernst talks about "On Tour" tapes in EMM

Post by DEH »

Beatle fans are not into this so it's going to a uphill battle here to convince them of anything. The TTWII special edition and some outtakes were aired on tv for free before the release. People forget this .That's why sales were not as great. Not due to lack of interest.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

Z0S0 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 am
like i said, i dont really know what your argument is??? that it should be retail -to lacklustre sales??? and it should be optional to have a book or not?? I already agreed with you there!!

I'll make it easy:

Your comment:
There will be a book because after 50 years its a big deal and it deserves the appropriate FTD DELUXE treatment
My comment in reply:
If the 50th anniversary was that big of a deal, this would be a boxed set at retail level, as has been seen with the TV show of 1968, the live shows of 1969, the live shows of 1970, and Nashville 1970. And yet it's tucked away on FTD. While the book might be masterful, the reason for pairing unreleased audio to books is to suck as much money out of fans as possible. And I don't mean to denigrate anything that David produces, but the truth is that many would not buy the book if it didn't have the audio with it. And it's not a cheap book. It's a cynical ploy, and that's very sad both for fans and for David's work which doesn't deserve to be linked to such an exercise.
In other words, this is getting the FTD treatment because it's seemingly NOT as big a deal in the Elvis world as the 1968 TV show, the 1969 live performances, the 1970 live performances, or the Nashville sessions.

I think throwing away an unreleased multi-track complete concert at this stage in the game on FTD (with or without a book) is a rather sad situation. Yes, they did that with some of the 1969 and 1970 shows, but they had been well-represented at the time at retail level by Collector's Gold, In Person, the 3-disc TTWII set, Live in Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas (2 disc live set) etc. That's not the case here with On Tour. One concert was issued twenty years ago. That's it.

It seems utterly unthinkable that Sony saw the Jungle Room Sessions and Stax as worthy of retail-level releases exploring those sessions in detail (not to mention the Today sessions and the tours that followed), but not the On Tour shows of 1972.

We SHOULD be expecting something like a four disc collection at retail level - with a couple of concerts, a disc of rehearsals, and a final disc of the mock session and maybe the March studio recordings. We SHOULDN'T be expecting these long-unreleased concerts to be released with a book many people don't want, on a label the general public has never heard of, and at a price many fans can't afford.

While I don't hold these concerts in as such high regard as many here, the truth is clear: these are the last complete Elvis shows on multitrack in the vault. And it's a pitiful situation if Sony can't/couldn't make a retail release built around that fact.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Kingtiger0321 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:08 am
I don’t understand the “lukewarm” reception theory for TTWII. Warner dropped the ball, Big Time! First they aired it for free on TCM before release! Then they announced 4 songs would be cut from the home video release and even though it was promised, no bonus material would be released either! If that wasn’t enough the VHS, already a dying format at this point was released on time, while the DVD was pushed back. This was just piss poor Marketing, but because the fans didn’t shut up and kiss their asses by buying whatever they threw at us, it “sold poorly”. Funny, not poorly enough to have several theatre showings or re-issues though. This was Warner’s screw up, but that apparently is the fans fault. It should be known, RCA / BMG got this one right during this time!
No, they didn't drop the ball. If anything, they were ahead of their time in showing the film on TV before releasing it on home video. Now, it's par for the course. Even in 2000 it wasn't abnormal. One of the biggest concert events of 1990 was The Three Tenors concert at the World Cup. It was shown on TV in July 1990, and it was released on VHS not long after. The VHS/DVD went 5xplatinum in the USA. So did the next concert in 1994. Even the 1998 concert went gold. THEY weren't affected by showing them on TV first. And nowadays, it is perfectly common for a TV series to stop airing in one month and for a home video to be released the next. Likewise, TV will show an anniversary airing of a classic film, but it doesn't affect the sales of a new anniversary edition on blu ray.

The TCM airing is just a deflection from fans. As I have said before, in the UK I sat in the cinema ALONE. You can't blame THAT on the TCM airing in the States, or for the dismal business the film did in any other country.

DEH

Post by DEH »

I know people who didn't buy it because they taped it off the TV and they yanked the bonus songs to make matters worse.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by emjel »

pmp wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 am
Z0S0 wrote:
like i said, i dont really know what your argument is??? that it should be retail -to lacklustre sales??? and it should be optional to have a book or not?? I already agreed with you there!!

I'll make it easy:

Your comment:
There will be a book because after 50 years its a big deal and it deserves the appropriate FTD DELUXE treatment
My comment in reply:
If the 50th anniversary was that big of a deal, this would be a boxed set at retail level, as has been seen with the TV show of 1968, the live shows of 1969, the live shows of 1970, and Nashville 1970. And yet it's tucked away on FTD. While the book might be masterful, the reason for pairing unreleased audio to books is to suck as much money out of fans as possible. And I don't mean to denigrate anything that David produces, but the truth is that many would not buy the book if it didn't have the audio with it. And it's not a cheap book. It's a cynical ploy, and that's very sad both for fans and for David's work which doesn't deserve to be linked to such an exercise.
In other words, this is getting the FTD treatment because it's seemingly NOT as big a deal in the Elvis world as the 1968 TV show, the 1969 live performances, the 1970 live performances, or the Nashville sessions.

It seems utterly unthinkable that Sony saw the Jungle Room Sessions and Stax as worthy of retail-level releases exploring those sessions in detail (not to mention the Today sessions and the tours that followed), but not the On Tour shows of 1972.

While I don't hold these concerts in as such high regard as many here, the truth is clear: these are the last complete Elvis shows on multitrack in the vault. And it's a pitiful situation if Sony can't/couldn't make a retail release built around that fact.
I would think that Sony saw the Jungle Room sessions as having true historical interest for those outside the fanbase because of what those recordings represented….Elvis’ very last recording sessions. The Stax sessions was probably done as they felt there could be interest because Elvis was recording at a well known famous studio that had produced some great music, although unfortunately, Elvis’ recordings there were somewhat lacklustre in the main.

I don’t think Sony see anything in the On Tour shows as having a great deal of interest for non fans as similar shows have been covered via Madison Square Garden, itself a famous venue, and a place where lots of other artists have their shows recorded and released. I’m not sure that Elvis as Recorded in San Antonio or Richmond would create a similar interest. As someone else mentioned, they are shows at random stadiums in the States and wonderful for us fans, but not really for anyone else.

But it seems Sony want to offer something for mainstream via a single disc release, but do not want to risk a set that offers four shows which are basically all the same which they feel as a set is more suitable for the collectors label.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 20 years 8 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

pmp wrote:
Z0S0 wrote:

I'll make it easy:

Your comment:
My comment in reply:

I think throwing away an unreleased multi-track complete concert at this stage in the game on FTD (with or without a book) is a rather sad situation. Yes, they did that with some of the 1969 and 1970 shows, but they had been well-represented at the time at retail level by Collector's Gold, In Person, the 3-disc TTWII set, Live in Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas (2 disc live set) etc. That's not the case here with On Tour. One concert was issued twenty years ago. That's it.

We SHOULD be expecting something like a four disc collection at retail level - with a couple of concerts, a disc of rehearsals, and a final disc of the mock session and maybe the March studio recordings. We SHOULDN'T be expecting these long-unreleased concerts to be released with a book many people don't want, on a label the general public has never heard of, and at a price many fans can't afford.

I suppose I question I'd interject with is this... Are we absolutely sure that there will be no retail release of this material by Sony? Absolutely sure? It seems to me a package of the concerts (with limited rehearsal material included) at retail, along with the full boat of rehearsal and mock session material along with a book for FTD is what I'd expect. If not, then that's a shame.

samses
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by samses »

pmp wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:40 pm
samses wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Rockin_John wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:29 pm
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 pm
By the way, I find it strange that my FECC friends seem confident that Ernst has all the "On Tour" tapes and will release them next year. I still believe that there are issues we don't know about. Twenty years after they were recorded, Ernst confessed that they didn't have all the tapes, and like I said he's hinted at this in recent times too - either that he doesn't have them, or that he can't release them. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess we'll find out eventually.
I've heard someplace that MGM owns the tapes, and not Sony. Could that be true?
The shows were recorded on multi-track by both RCA and MGM. MGM probably own their tapes.
I don't agree. If MGM/WB owned the tapes, then there would have been an acknowledgement in the Close Up box, thanking them for their co-operation. There wasn't.
As I said, both RCA and MGM recorded the shows on 16-track. MGM own their tapes and RCA own their tapes. MGM may of course not release the audio on their tapes without consent from RCA.

samses

Post by samses »

Z0S0 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:38 am
pmp wrote:
samses wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:
By the way, I find it strange that my FECC friends seem confident that Ernst has all the "On Tour" tapes and will release them next year. I still believe that there are issues we don't know about. Twenty years after they were recorded, Ernst confessed that they didn't have all the tapes, and like I said he's hinted at this in recent times too - either that he doesn't have them, or that he can't release them. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess we'll find out eventually.
The shows were recorded on multi-track by both RCA and MGM. MGM probably own their tapes.
I don't agree. If MGM/WB owned the tapes, then there would have been an acknowledgement in the Close Up box, thanking them for their co-operation. There wasn't.
Sorry Keith but shanes right and youre wrong, Ernst stated 19years ago actually that they have ALL the on tour tapes, rehearsals included and i quote " its quite substantial" !!
ill scan the printed words if you like !

MGM we're not recording the shows, nor did they own the reels of tapes from those shows and nor did they or do they have any say over any of that AUDIO material being issued !

The rehearsals for a start were recorded in an RCA studio by Al Pachucki /Felton just like many many sessions before and the four shows the same - and the two MSG shows exactly the same - just like many before & others after - though in new york Dick Baxter took feltons seat because felton was off having his kidney transplant

The On TOUR AUDIO has been released officially before now - as shane pointed out !
the reason it ALL hasnt been out is because they waited & waited for a movie tie in !
not to mention the fact, the ON TOUR material really is the last " BIG DEAL" left in the vaults

HOWEVER,
MGM clearly did make their own recordings for TTWII rehearsals with their own engineers because most of them we're held on the MGM stage in culver city as we know !
not the case for ON TOUR !!!
MGM did make their own 16-track recordings of the four concerts. Thus, there were two separate 16-track recordings made of these shows.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

joekro1977 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:05 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:28 pm
Such absurdity. No one is "forced" to buy any official Elvis Presley product. Period.

The fact of the matter is that most FTD book projects will not get a green light without audio elements being a part of the package. I've mentioned this many times here, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.
Don't act the fool Doc, it's not a good look.

The Book projects pre-2019 or so were almost all supplemented with audio material that was either substandard or otherwise already readily available elsewhere. The audio was included as a "nice bonus" for a person purchasing the book. In almost all cases had the audio been released on it's own it would not have sold well at all. Hawaii 61, MSG Opening Show, Change of Habit, etc. are all good examples of this.

Now the new mold has been cast. The purchase of the book(s) is a necessary (and expensive) evil to acquire highly desired and exclusive audio material.

The game has changed - don't act like you don't recognize this.

You need to review "The Book projects pre-2019 or so" since your assertions are incorrect. And since you don't work for FTD, you speak from ignorance in regards to the process by which they approve book proposals.

You also need to work on your decorum. I wasn't even responding to something you wrote, and you choose to mock?

It's not a good look.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 pm
pmp wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 pm
There is no excuse for any bootlegging of Elvis material in the 21st century. FTD was created to take on the bootleggers, but that wasnt enough for many fans, who wanted both. I have no time for anyone who has praised or worked with bootleggers over the last ten or fifteen years. Every soundboard or alternate take (of copyrighted material) released on bootleg before Sony is theoretically taking sales away from FTD.

I am the first to state that FTD is often sloppy, lazy, and even slapping the face of those who have supported it, but supporting those who have got hold of copyrighted tapes illegally is also a slap in the face for FTD. It is perfectly clear that the bootlegs of EOT material are going to affect subsequent sales of legal releases of the same material.

This you?

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:48 pm
I grew up with "Aloha" and "MSG" and "In Person" ...

[snip]

shanebrown wrote: I haven't bought (or, indeed, played) many bootleg concerts for some time, but I have always liked Holding Back The Years. We used to stock Elvis "imports" under the counter in a record shop I used to work in and this one got played many times over the years as background music in the shop - and I of course bought a copy too! The sound is remarkably good.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue May 20, 2008 1:17 am
shanebrown wrote: You can't blame the companies that exploit the 50 year rule, Doc.

Sure I can. A robber baron is a robber baron, regardless of any lapse in copyright law.

I am rather confused, Doc.

Not a surprise.

(1) Try reading the two highlighted portions, start-to-finish ... one applies to the first archived quote, the other to the second
(2) Take a gander at the dates of the archived quotes
(3) Read the statements you made, under one of your previous logins ... I increased the font size to help
(4) Do some basic math to determine the time frame from then to now

Hypocrisy will be gleaned! Good luck.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

emjel

Post by emjel »

Mike in New Jersey wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 am
pmp wrote:
Z0S0 wrote:

I'll make it easy:

Your comment:
My comment in reply:

I suppose I question I'd interject with is this... Are we absolutely sure that there will be no retail release of this material by Sony? Absolutely sure? It seems to me a package of the concerts (with limited rehearsal material included) at retail, along with the full boat of rehearsal and mock session material along with a book for FTD is what I'd expect. If not, then that's a shame.
I guess you didn’t read a couple of my posts above where I wrote that it is Sony’s intention to release a cd and vinyl on mainstream. Of course that could change between now and then, and the idea could get cancelled but I doubt it will go above a single CD set otherwise it would encroach too much on the sales of the FTD release.

~

pmp

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 pm
pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 pm
pmp wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 pm
There is no excuse for any bootlegging of Elvis material in the 21st century. FTD was created to take on the bootleggers, but that wasnt enough for many fans, who wanted both. I have no time for anyone who has praised or worked with bootleggers over the last ten or fifteen years. Every soundboard or alternate take (of copyrighted material) released on bootleg before Sony is theoretically taking sales away from FTD.

I am the first to state that FTD is often sloppy, lazy, and even slapping the face of those who have supported it, but supporting those who have got hold of copyrighted tapes illegally is also a slap in the face for FTD. It is perfectly clear that the bootlegs of EOT material are going to affect subsequent sales of legal releases of the same material.

This you?

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:48 pm
I grew up with "Aloha" and "MSG" and "In Person" ...

[snip]

shanebrown wrote: I haven't bought (or, indeed, played) many bootleg concerts for some time, but I have always liked Holding Back The Years. We used to stock Elvis "imports" under the counter in a record shop I used to work in and this one got played many times over the years as background music in the shop - and I of course bought a copy too! The sound is remarkably good.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue May 20, 2008 1:17 am
shanebrown wrote: You can't blame the companies that exploit the 50 year rule, Doc.

Sure I can. A robber baron is a robber baron, regardless of any lapse in copyright law.

I am rather confused, Doc.

Not a surprise.

(1) Try reading the two highlighted portions, start-to-finish ... one applies to the first archived quote, the other to the second
(2) Take a gander at the dates of the archived quotes
(3) Read the statements you made, under one of your previous logins ... I increased the font size to help
(4) Do some basic math to determine the time frame from then to now

Hypocrisy will be gleaned! Good luck.
You're rambling, incoherent, desperate and not making sense. You seem utterly incapable of realising that companies that issue legal releases are not bootleggers. Do I have to explain that term to you?

Now, kindly stick to on topic comments instead of trying to derail another thread.

pmp

Post by pmp »

samses wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:24 pm
pmp wrote:
samses wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:
As I said, both RCA and MGM recorded the shows on 16-track. MGM own their tapes and RCA own their tapes. MGM may of course not release the audio on their tapes without consent from RCA.
And where is this info from?

OnTourCam

Post by OnTourCam »

Just Confirming a few things

Elvis performed 19 shows on the April Tour

Recorded on Multi Track
-Hampton Evening (Afternoon we don't know) ?
-Richmond
-Greensboro
-San Antonio

Soundboards Exist but are in private hands possibly
-April 8th Knoxville
-April 12th Indy
-April 13th Charlotte
-April 15th Macon

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Ricky »

Does he really know something or not. This was posted in Facebook this morning:

Patrick Van de Walle
Yesterday at 8:22 AM ·
I have some news to share about Elvis On Tour they planning something big for Elvis On Tour 50th Anniversary MGM planning a 2 disc edition on blu-ray, FTD Project planning CD's and a book like they did with Elvis That's the way it is hopefully again with 2 books and a few CD's, i be waiting for that

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mister Mike »

emjel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 am

But it seems Sony want to offer something for mainstream via a single disc release, but do not want to risk a set that offers four shows which are basically all the same which they feel as a set is more suitable for the collectors label.
They didn't seem to have any problems in releasing a set that contained 11 shows that were basically all the same (Live 1969).

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Z0S0
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Z0S0 »

samses wrote:

no they did not NOT PROPERLY !!
just throwing that statement out there doesnt make it true - its like the "Tiger man " acetate saga ! i dont care if erik rasmusen or someone told you that over a beer , thats not proof!

what & where is your evidence for this?? lets just say you are right anyway, it doesnt make the slightest difference to the FTD release anyway !

ive already explained this but lets cover it again ...

There were 11 french Eclair lightweight (ie:handheld) cameras supposedly running on staggered schedules (of 11minutes each) so they didnt miss a song -
however we know thats not the case but that was just the logistics of such a complicated set up

Those cameramen were being directed in the moment by abel and/or adidge -
everyone was wearing NASA (yes! apparently) headsets to communicate -
this WAS fed into swiss tape recorders (what size tape i have no idea)
and i already stated before the evidence of THIS is especially very clear during the rehearsals when you hear exactly these kind of instructions such as " billy bob camera 2 drums " ..
" brad hush little baby cut to B track" - these are not verbatim but im sure you get my point

Those are you MGM recordings, as is the Buffalo rehearsal which sounds like crap!

The FOUR shows were then captured by the wally Heider 16 track mobile unit run by al pachucki as always !!!

case closed you honour !

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

Ricky wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:01 pm
Does he really know something or not. This was posted in Facebook this morning:

Patrick Van de Walle
Yesterday at 8:22 AM ·
I have some news to share about Elvis On Tour they planning something big for Elvis On Tour 50th Anniversary MGM planning a 2 disc edition on blu-ray, FTD Project planning CD's and a book like they did with Elvis That's the way it is hopefully again with 2 books and a few CD's, i be waiting for that
NO i dont know who he is, but hes full of sh*t !! any info on facebook groups etc is coming from here anyway ! There is no way warners are putting out unreleased film ! Its not decided yet if its 1 or 2 books & neither is it decided yet just exactly how many discs will be included !

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

emjel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:59 am

I agree with nearly everything you write, but I wouldn’t agree that the Abbey Road set was only mildly successful.
Yes Emjel, youre right, im sorry i actually just flippantly threw that comment out there without even googling a single sales figure etc - that wasnt right - i should have at least spent 2minutes before i made a statement like that and ill hold my hands up i hadnt realised it had hit those kind of figures - thats VERY impressive and as you say i bet RCA/FTD (whoever) would kill for those figures but then RCA pretty much killed the golden goose many years ago - my bad though !
I AM being sincere btw - dont think im being sarcastic !

my point though was that an ON TOUR project would drop with no fanfare what-so-ever in comparison to the abbey road set - but then in fairness to our man/FTD, the beatles havnt put out 200 cds on a collectors label - that makes a HUGE Difference !!!

pmp wrote:

If the 50th anniversary was that big of a deal, this would be a boxed set at retail level

We SHOULDN'T be expecting these long-unreleased concerts to be released with a book many people don't want, on a label the general public has never heard of, and at a price many fans can't afford.

OK !!! youre winning me over, though i dont think we're on totally different pages anyway, but regardless lets not get into childish "my dad can beat up your dad" crap - i wont be a part of arguing with you over things that neither of us have any control over ! or any topic in general ! im not here for tit for tat B.S !

its really a case of dont shoot the messenger =- but im not even the messenger !!!

Though it appears Emjel knows something neither of us do & there may well be a slimmed down on tour package at retail anyway !!! so its 50/50 isnt it !

For the last time to be clear, i basically agree with you that in a perfect world this would be a RETAIL all guns blazing super duper release but clearly there is no confidence in either the material or more likely
the MUSIC RETAIL MARKET !
its no good comparing releases from a decade ago - its a different world out there now !

We are both right in that these whilst not a HOLY GRAIL (whats that anyway? opening night 69 multi-track??)
At this point in 2021 with over 200 FTD's THESE On TOUR shows are the closest we will get now to a HOLY GRAIL ! They ARE the best of whats left in the vaults , after this whats left - more takes of "ito eats" ?
more piss poor 76 soundboards ???

BUT ......whilst that can be the argument for making a huge deal about it at retail it doesnt mean the sales would come in !!! Im only an Elvis fan because i was bought up by an obsessive father who played him constantly, my mum wasnt as mad but was still at the very least an average fan -
my father in about 1983 actually managed to buy the local BLOCKBUSTER (but it wasnt blockbuster then)
their only single rental copy of ON TOUR for i think it was about £50 then ! Which would equate to £140 or so today - i still have that VHS btw !

they are both now well into their 70's and if they saw a huge ON TOUR box (at lets say £150) whilst doing the weekly shop in tesco they wouldnt even stop & look at it, let alone buy it & they wouldnt buy it for me because of the price -

granted pensioners probably are not the best example but these ARE original fans !
millennials are not gonna stop & pick it up either - especially if heaven forbid (and its almost guaranteed) the cover is a bloody WHITE jump suited shot , they'd probably laugh it was even on the shelf !

however regardless of all this...
the world at large have the madison square garden set out there ALREADY if they want an example of 70s elvis on the road at his peak and i dont care what anyone says - that saturday night performance is as good as he ever was on a concert stage in the 70s - yeah august 12th 1970 is an amazing show and it maybe ernst fav but it doesnt have that fire - that " im gonna show you new yorkers the real elvis tonight " intensity about it - he was on a mission in new york to kick ass & win over everyone and HE DID !!!

Yeah hampton roads is a a great show but its not MSG ! I know theres people on here who we're in attendance who we're not impressed, George Harrison wasnt impressed .. so what? im not impressed by George Harrison - regardless he never bettered MSG ! NEVER !!! (he WASNT better in boston or dallas etc the previous winter) and ill stand by that statement until the day i die!!!

maybe im using the wrong argument, im thinking physical stores - maybe youre thinking online retail : amazon etc etc ???

I dont know shane, i agree with you but i understand the apprehension from the label, may youre right & their wrong?? maybe all the previous releases youre using as an argument are infact the very evidence they are using to NOT put it out at retail !!

you can argue all day about all this, but its all rather pointless and i dont want to continue this conversation any longer, its all conjecture, we shall see what happens about 14/15 months from now !
Then itll come & go and a week after everyones complained about DHL leaving their Box on their doorstep in the rain, people will be asking when the next ftd is out and why havnt we had a 4k on tour remake ???

emjel

Post by emjel »

Z0S0 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:43 pm
emjel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:59 am

I agree with nearly everything you write, but I wouldn’t agree that the Abbey Road set was only mildly successful.
Yes Emjel, youre right, im sorry i actually just flippantly threw that comment out there without even googling a single sales figure etc - that wasnt right - i should have at least spent 2minutes before i made a statement like that and ill hold my hands up i hadnt realised it had hit those kind of figures - thats VERY impressive and as you say i bet RCA/FTD (whoever) would kill for those figures but then RCA pretty much killed the golden goose many years ago - my bad though !
I AM being sincere btw - dont think im being sarcastic !

my point though was that an ON TOUR project would drop with no fanfare what-so-ever in comparison to the abbey road set - but then in fairness to our man/FTD, the beatles havnt put out 200 cds on a collectors label - that makes a HUGE Difference !!!
Maybe it does, but then Elvis released 5 times as many albums as The Beatles, so they are hardly in a position to release the kind of numbers of albums that FTD have with Elvis. Soundboards and all that kind of stuff were not around in the 60s. And not forgetting of course that Abbey Road had already sold over 12 million copies in the US twenty odd years ago so must be over 14 by now.

That really is the significant difference when you consider that in the last 18 months, that album has probably sold more than some of Elvis’ best albums like From Elvis In Memphis and Elvis Country did when they were originally released in the same time frame.

~

DEH

Post by DEH »

It's true. I am not the only one that's said it. So much Elvis product has been put out that its hard to make things special . Elvis fans were given more than any fans. It's much easier when you wait 50 years to do it. It's not that one act is more popular. It seems more special when you rarely get anything new and unreleased.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Mister Mike wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:02 pm
emjel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 am

They didn't seem to have any problems in releasing a set that contained 11 shows that were basically all the same (Live 1969).
No they didn’t but there was at least some historical context for the casual or non fan as those shows marked the return of one of the best entertainers ever to performing live on stage again after an absence of 8 years and being in the Hollywood doldrums for several years too. But I suspect Sony might have been a little disappointed with worldwide sales which have apparently struggled to around just over 6.5k physical with streaming accounting for equivalent sales of around 5.8k. But I’m sure that the duplication factor and the price played a part in putting the non fan off. However, a big book along the lines of the usual FTD style plus 4 or 5 CDs is not for the mainstream market and if they release just the shows on mainstream, it would eat into the market for the FTD release. It is almost like Sony and FTD are competing with one another and have almost boxed themselves into a corner due to the relative small market for Elvis products.

~

Kingtiger0321

Post by Kingtiger0321 »

pmp wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:07 am
Kingtiger0321 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:08 am
I don’t understand the “lukewarm” reception theory for TTWII. Warner dropped the ball, Big Time! First they aired it for free on TCM before release! Then they announced 4 songs would be cut from the home video release and even though it was promised, no bonus material would be released either! If that wasn’t enough the VHS, already a dying format at this point was released on time, while the DVD was pushed back. This was just piss poor Marketing, but because the fans didn’t shut up and kiss their asses by buying whatever they threw at us, it “sold poorly”. Funny, not poorly enough to have several theatre showings or re-issues though. This was Warner’s screw up, but that apparently is the fans fault. It should be known, RCA / BMG got this one right during this time!
No, they didn't drop the ball. If anything, they were ahead of their time in showing the film on TV before releasing it on home video. Now, it's par for the course. Even in 2000 it wasn't abnormal. One of the biggest concert events of 1990 was The Three Tenors concert at the World Cup. It was shown on TV in July 1990, and it was released on VHS not long after. The VHS/DVD went 5xplatinum in the USA. So did the next concert in 1994. Even the 1998 concert went gold. THEY weren't affected by showing them on TV first. And nowadays, it is perfectly common for a TV series to stop airing in one month and for a home video to be released the next. Likewise, TV will show an anniversary airing of a classic film, but it doesn't affect the sales of a new anniversary edition on blu ray.

The TCM airing is just a deflection from fans. As I have said before, in the UK I sat in the cinema ALONE. You can't blame THAT on the TCM airing in the States, or for the dismal business the film did in any other country.
Well if you actually read what I wrote you would see I wasn’t blaming the early showing on tv! TCM was a fairly new station at the time and a lot of people didn’t have it! Try re-reading what I wrote! Not sure about overseas, but here in the US there was very little promotion for the movie at the theatres and you had to find a theatre showing it! The release schedule of VHS and DVD being out of sync, along with removal of 4 songs and the bonus footage WERE the main reasons it did not do that well, at first! Warner did drop the ball, plain and simple. With the 4 songs and bonus footage, along with releasing the VHS / DVD on their scheduled release date, probably would’ve given different results, but we’ll never know!

Random qoutes:

"I'll be dog gone Nick! Your house done blowed up, s'on fire too!" - Elvis

"You fed them DOG FOOD! How Dare!!!!" - "Paradise, Hawaiian style"

emjel

Post by emjel »

DEH wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:58 pm
It's true. I am not the only one that's said it. So much Elvis product has been put out that its hard to make things special . Elvis fans were given more than any fans. It's much easier when you wait 50 years to do it. It's not that one act is more popular. It seems more special when you rarely get anything new and unreleased.
But what you have to consider is that apart from some of Elvis’ early albums when he was a red hot attraction, the majority of his albums have never sold in really big numbers even when they first came out. Elvis Is Back, surely one of his best studio albums and highly anticipated sold poorly considering it was his first album since his stint in the army. Likewise, the post Hollywood albums too….yes they certainly sold better than the majority of the latter soundtrack albums, but was From Elvis in Memphis, an album that contained some real stellar performances, a bigger seller than GI Blues or Blue Hawaii.

So yes, the constant re-issues of his albums by BMG/Sony may have diluted the appeal across the years, and had they never happened, yes, I’m sure there would be more interest in certain anniversary releases, but I do not see them as being significant sales….even though there would likely to be some decent press from marketing activities, I couldn’t see a 50th anniversary release of Elvis Is Back, Something for Everybody or From Elvis in Memphis hanging around the album charts for a year…..I’m not even sure they did that when they originally came out.

~

samses

Post by samses »

pmp wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:27 pm
samses wrote:
pmp wrote:
samses wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:
And where is this info from?
From a reliable source and documentation.