Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
charroman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Kismet and Mirage

Post by charroman »

The Harem Holiday album is one that I really did not particularly like when I was a kid. Probably not helped by the flat sound of the original vinyl record and there was not a lot of interest for me in some of the faster numbers. Over time its not an album I've played often but by way of the arguably superior mix on the double features and with age my view of the album as a set of songs has changed. This amazes me as I recall my earlier selfs real dislike of it.

Two songs stick out to me are Kismet and Mirage and its almost like I have discovered two new songs as they completely passed me by with a meh in previous years.

advancing years? or did I just not see something that has always been there? I know there are lovers and haters of the album on here

I'd love to have a modern update of the double features sound and if they could do anything to change the end of Wisdom of the Ages (its ok until that final line for me about "to such a man I'd bow") and redact out that line in Golden Coins where he sings about "Persian rugs to enhance your floor" and possibly dub some 1960's appropriate horns onto the instrumental build on Hey Little Girl and Shake That Tambourine !

oh ok a step too far....but just goes to show never to write off tracks. I might need to give Padre and My Boy another spin
draw the line at Confidence though

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Kismet and Mirage

Post by Rob »

Of all the songs you've named, none of them would have been missed by this fan had Elvis not recorded them (I do like many of the live versions of 'My Boy'). They are songs I seldom listen to and they've not helped Elvis' legacy in the least. That said, I know that his songs bring enjoyment to Elvis fans everywhere. Some of his biggest hits are some I never cared for (Love Me Tender) and some that many do not like, I do. I have always liked the fact that there are songs that Elvis recorded that appeal to some, but not others. I met a person recently and the conversation turned to Elvis. The guy stated that he never cared for Elvis' music, but liked his movies. There's no way I could ever adjust my thinking to fit his, but different strokes for different folks.

For those who like the 'Harum Scarum' tracks, or movie for that matter, good for you. If I never hear any of those songs again, I'm good.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Topic author
charroman

Post by charroman »

Funnily enough I never liked the original of Love Me Tender. Prefer the live versions from 68 onwards but even then always thought Loving You was better song. I think its because i recall as a teenager listening to HH and thinking it was so bad compared to the 56 Sessions album I'd just bought. This was the SAME artist ! No amount of convincing then would have swayed my view

I played Mirage at home a few nights back and my long suffering non fan wife of 29 years commented it was a nice song with a rhumba or Bossa kinda beat. (dont ask me..she watches a lot of dancing stuff). Not even convinced I've ever played it to her before (I get a limited tolerance of albums and tracks I can play...although TTWII and FIA usually ok) Kismet was played and I just thought mmmmm maybe something I'd missed or overlooked unfairly???? or am I just getting old lol

I did have a similar thing with Beginners Luck and Almost In Love in recent times so perhaps I'm mellowing into my late Sinatra years!

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I have never seen the movie, but the record is underrated. Unfortunately, the original mix is very dull but the "Double Features" version kicks ass!

I also like "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" very much. Some of the stuff on there is just beautiful. No other singer could sing "Sand Castles" like Elvis did.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

While I don't care for the film, 'Sand Castles' and 'Drums Of The Islands' are two songs I definitely enjoy.

I shan't be ashamed.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

I'm quite fond of the song "Sand Castles" as well and my wife also loves this. It is quite often on the playlist.
But I have to admit that I also always really liked "Mirage" and "Kismet" despite the sonic failure they were and despite it being lesser material looking at it from kind of an objective perspective. But that never bothered me at all when I liked a tune.
I always thought the two songs had a nice and catchy melody, and the oriental flavour added an additional nice touch to it. And although I don't like Elvis voice in '65 that much I still think it kinda "soars" nicely through these two tunes.
The remixed masters on the "Double Features" have been my go-to versions ever since they were released. I couldn't be brought to listening to the original mixes again.

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by eric c »

i think the album is better than the movie...tho over time it has become a guilty pleasure for me.
but i do love the album.
i love the sound and the feel that great studio group puts out.
and as always...Elvis' vocals are flawless.
much better than the songs deserve.
•hey little girl
•shake that tambourine
•go east young man
•animal instinct
•wisdom of the ages
•desert serenede
are among my favorites...but the real hi-light both on the LP and in the movie is his stunning vocals on so close yet so far from paradise.
you can't help but be captivated by it.
fun album.
not his greatest.
but theres enough meat on the bone to enjoy it.

ELVIS ROCKS

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:51 pm
Which is all inconsequential to anybody that likes these songs. There's no accounting for taste and this is down to the individual. Whilst there's certainly no need to be apologetic for liking and enjoying these songs, or anything else Elvis recorded.
Couldn't agree more. I know you're blocking me and can't read this reply, but I still like you.

I like Elvis and you...and Paul.

Aura Lee
Previously banned member "Matilda" who tried to return

Post by Aura Lee »

Greystoke wrote:
There's certainly an element of rumba in Mirage’s arrangement, and there's a cha-cha-cha rhythm underpinning Kismet, which is pretty nice. I like the oboe and percussion on the latter, too. Nice backing vocals, also.
Right.
Sometimes the Jordanaires were overbearing (on " In your arms" the Jordanaires are torture in my ears) but here they are subtle and enhance the songs, not ruining them.
"So close yet so far " is a great song. The over the top drama actually works for me.
I remember an girlfriend in my school days, a non fan, was floored everytime I played that song for her.

because his singing is below par on both recordings
Agree on "Mirage". His vibrato there is a bit floating and he himself seems very half hearted and the tonality of his voice isn't really good.

But on " Kismet" I think he is rather good and I don't see how he could have sung it better given the material.
He gives it an honest reading with a warm and controlled voice.
Last edited by Aura Lee on Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
charroman

Post by charroman »

what I do find interesting is that some songs were submitted for movies around this time and were not used and found El in far better creative and artistic form a few years later. I think Let Yourself Go may have been one of these
Of the 65 recordings I think his voice sounded ok on most of the soundtrack to HH apart from maybe the opening to the title track where he sounds slightly off or flat on "goin to travel". Maybe one of the earlier takes are better ? I played the FTD a few times then decided Id probably stick with the DF release.

Glad Greystoke knew what I was bumbling on about ref the arrangement and beat that my wife picked up on ! Rumba it is...but I'd have never thought of the track alongside others that he recorded with that kinda feel.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

The Kismet and Mirage ballads are nicely done by Elvis... similar to songs like Tender Feeling, Am I Ready, All That I Am, etc.
As far as the rest of the soundtrack goes, I can't name another song off the top of my head... oh wait... Harem Holiday... that's it.
Oh and something about the desert... but that's really it.

Aura Lee

Post by Aura Lee »

You should remember. Some are decent songs.

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

Hey Little Girl makes me cringe every time I see the movie, and also when I hear the track on CD as my mind takes me back to the image of Elvis singing to the little girl.

Christopher Brown

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by c. Richer »

An enjoyable and unusual soundtrack, something different and middle eastern meets Hollywood.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-eye Member banned for life.fa-eye
fa-exclamation-triangle

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

It was a weak movie with weak songs but it was profitable.

Contract:
It costs the producer $ 1.400.000 salary and costs

This amount is spliced into: $ 1.000.000 salary and $ 400.000 costs and promotion payable in a weekly salary during shooting.

Paid
10% = $ 100.000 to William Morris Agency;
25% = $ 250.000 to Colonel Parker;

The costs were split into 50/50 = $ 200.000 for Elvis / $ 200.000 for All Star shows (Colonel Parker).

Outside the movie contract Colonel Parker was paid $ 25.000 as technical advisor.

colonel snow

eric c

Post by eric c »

this scene alone makes this movie a guilty pleasure for me.
you can't watch it in the same way you do a film like anatomy of a murder or the hustler.
for what it is...i enjoy it.
(the album is better tho.)

ELVIS ROCKS

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

c. Richer wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 pm
An enjoyable and unusual soundtrack, something different and middle eastern meets Hollywood.
Yes i always liked this one

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Kullervo
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Kullervo »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:10 pm
Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Which is all inconsequential to anybody that likes these songs. There's no accounting for taste and this is down to the individual. Whilst there's certainly no need to be apologetic for liking and enjoying these songs, or anything else Elvis recorded.
Couldn't agree more. I know you're blocking me and can't read this reply, but I still like you.

I like Elvis and you...and Paul.
I occasionally unblock you just to have the pleasure of blocking you again.
You are both very cool guys. I wonder what's going on, or what has happened.

MikeTCB
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by MikeTCB »

Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:35 pm
While I don't care for the film, 'Sand Castles' and 'Drums Of The Islands' are two songs I definitely enjoy.

I shan't be ashamed.
I also liked the songs you listed. I also like the song 'This Is My Heaven'. Elvis did some very good ballads in the movies.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Kismet is my dear old mum's favourite Elvis song and Mirage was on one of my dad's tapes we used to play I'm the car to stop my sister throwing up as a kid.

I also enjoy playing Go East, Young Man.

To quote Rob, I shan't be ashamed.

And I like this Elvis bloke.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

charroman wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:23 pm
The Harem Holiday album is one that I really did not particularly like when I was a kid. Probably not helped by the flat sound of the original vinyl record and there was not a lot of interest for me in some of the faster numbers. Over time its not an album I've played often but by way of the arguably superior mix on the double features and with age my view of the album as a set of songs has changed. This amazes me as I recall my earlier selfs real dislike of it.

Two songs stick out to me are Kismet and Mirage and its almost like I have discovered two new songs as they completely passed me by with a meh in previous years.

advancing years? or did I just not see something that has always been there? I know there are lovers and haters of the album on here

I'd love to have a modern update of the double features sound and if they could do anything to change the end of Wisdom of the Ages (its ok until that final line for me about "to such a man I'd bow") and redact out that line in Golden Coins where he sings about "Persian rugs to enhance your floor" and possibly dub some 1960's appropriate horns onto the instrumental build on Hey Little Girl and Shake That Tambourine !

oh ok a step too far....but just goes to show never to write off tracks. I might need to give Padre and My Boy another spin
draw the line at Confidence though

Not sure I've ever seen a "lover" of this awful soundtrack make their case on this forum.

Pretty sure "haters" of the LP root their displeasure in the fact that this scant, 24 minute release is poorly recorded and produced despite being taped at RCA's "Studio B" in Nashville. They are stunned by the fact that not a single memorable song is found on either side of the record.

They are aware of other, superior titles at radio and retail at the time Harum Scarum hit the shops.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/1965/releases/november-11.php

And they can sense that for all these reasons the singer's heart is not in it. Competent vocals yes, but devoid of passion or feeling, Elvis knew this was a horrific way to begin his 30th year.

But the worst was yet to come.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
charroman

Post by charroman »

Whilst not "top drawer" these songs and other ballads and some production numbers throughout the Hollywood years remain an intriguing aspect of his career and still overlooked and I am as guilty as others of dismissing them as I did for years with these two tracks. I realise a lot has to do with the point of first hearing them and context and also due to the poor presentation and sound on the original albums. Not all of course and many of the early LP's and subsequent later releases of the soundtracks were great. But worse was to come and overall there was this fallow period of soundtracks that were released with a very flat sound and with instrumentation out of step with what was going on at the time. Some tracks almost under produced. Often the actual movie version was pepped up with overdubs and sounded better IMHO. Ok silk purse and cows ear and all that but from a technical perspective the movies versions were fuller and often more engaging . The DF mix with a little added effect on the vocal and better considered mix in general does show that the tracks can sound better. What they did with the speed on Girl Happy etc remains criminal in my opinion and I'd love to see a set that shows the best of the deeper OST cuts in a more coherent and positive light with great remixed sound ; especially if it was a complete Hollywood Years overview.

In general the ballads often did draw a better performance from El but if Let Yourself Go was floating around circa 64 and had been recorded then I can imagine it would have had a very different sound to the version we now know (and I love ). Ironically something like Shout It Out may have been a far better track if recorded for Roustabout

Rob
GodFather of FECC

Post by Rob »

Kullervo wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:36 am
You are both very cool guys. I wonder what's going on, or what has happened.
Never mind Greystoke's stoic nature. He's really quite the big teddy bear. Trust me, he's NOT blocking me. Are you Greystoke?

Greystoke?

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Kismet - demo version can be found on CD Elvis chante Tepper & Bennett - released in France (2001).

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Mirage - demo version is sung by Bill Giant. Both demo versions (Kismet & Mirage) are simular to the recorded version by Elvis.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.